- Text Size +
            It is funny how size can change so many things. When you are young, the world seems so vast. You can’t even imagine beyond your block, and then you’re a little older and you don’t think that a world exists beyond your town. Then you get older and the world seems smaller and smaller. You look at a globe, you can identify many of the countries, and even though they are thousands upon thousands of miles away, it’s not a place that is out of reach. There isn’t a single place you can’t get too on this planet in under a day. Then a day or two ago this happens and everything is turned upside down. My sister’s bedroom is practically a world in itself. Piles of clothes tower above me like mountains. Things you take for granted like cell phones and ipods are now larger then life. Hand held games are a complete joke, the machines are bigger, then my entire body.

            I thought maybe just maybe I could accept that, wrap my head around it, but then you see a person. I don’t mean just any person, a person who you have been bigger then your entire life, and not just a few inches taller. A good foot taller, and now they are so big a skyscraper may as well be mobile home in comparison.

            How do you accept that? How can you live a life where you are like an ant? I spent the last thirty or so hours trying to get my sister’s attention. You can have no idea what that’s like. Its not that she didn’t want to help me, or couldn’t help me. She didn’t know that I existed. When she walks around, she is one of six billion people. When I walk around, I go unnoticed and unseen by six billion people.

            I could have died beneath a pile of laundry, a pile of stinky, sweaty clothes and I am supposed to think that’s okay? Then my little sister comes to the rescue. My little five foot tall dorky sister has to pick up her big heavy laundry so that her big brother can get out.

            I started tumbling end over end, which broke my train of thought. I extended my arms out trying to grasp onto something, anything but, they slid across the oily surface like skates on ice. I fell roughly onto a hard wooden surface. I opened my eyes and stared down at the giant grain patterns of the wood. My hands swept across the roughness of my sister’s wooden desk. I tried to look down at the desk for as long as I could. I knew the moment I turned around everything would be different. I would be different.

            I slowly turned my head around. It felt like one of those slow movie pans. I could see everything on my sister’s desk. Giant speakers, books, pens, paper, make up, everything so much bigger then me. Then out of the corner of my eye, I could see her arm. It was so big. It’s like looking out at Mount Rushmore big. More and more of her came into view. Al was staring at me just as I was staring at her. It was an awkward silence.

            The silence was broken by the sound of Nick Lachey. I covered my ears as Al dug her cell phone out of her pocket. I tried to motion to her stop but it was too late. She flipped her phone and pressed it against her ear.

            “Hello?” her voice rang out everywhere. I started to back away but I soon tumbled backwards and fell onto a giant book. I turned my head and the words geometry were sprawled across the top.

            “Hi Josie, I’m fine. Just staring at what looks like my brother. I think I am going to have to call you back.” She closed the phone and tossed it down on the desk. The phone looked like it was half a mile away but I could still feel the ground shake slightly as it settled.

            Neither of us knew what to say. We just kept looking at each other for a while. It was rather unnerving. Then it happened. One moment her hand was out of sight then her finger landed on my stomach. I instinctively grasped her fingernail and tried to push it away but it was no use. Her finger pressed into my stomach. I could barely breathe at first; I thought I was going to die. Then the pressure lightened up. I firmly grasped her index finger and tried to shove it away but it was futile. She had too much strength.

            “Squishy” she said as she looked down at me. A smile crept across her face as she gently stroked her finger down the length of my body. I felt violated; it was as if I was being raped. I had no control over the situation. I wanted her stop, but I couldn’t do anything. She then started to pull her finger away, and then it bent back. I heard a whoosh sound and then the most incredible amount of pain I had ever felt in my life struck my side. I rolled over, and was about to roll over again when I hit what felt like a wall. I looked at what I had hit with a dazed and out of it feeling in my head. It was Al’s finger.

            It was just like before. I would try to roll over, and get away from her finger but she would push me back to where I was until I finally gave up and let her feel me.

            “I can’t believe this is you Jacen, it’s hardly like you’re a person.” Her voice rumbled at my level.

            “Look Al” I started to say but she shook her head.

            “I can’t hear you, this, this can’t be you. It has to be a joke.” I saw her hand swoosh towards me. I ducked down as her hand shot over me. It was quite clear in my mind that she wasn’t grabbing for me. As from what I have seen so far, if she wanted to grab me, I would have no chance to react. I turned around just in time to see a giant navy blue stocking cap land inches from me.

            “What’s the” Was all I could get out before A strong shove from behind sent me falling towards her cap as she lifted it wide open. I fell face first onto the knit ropelike fabric. I tried to stand up but I found my limbs entangled in this knit stocking cap. As the top fell down against me, I couldn’t help but feel like a fish in a net as I flailed around trying to free myself. I was about to say something when the hat was lifted in the air. I watched as everything blurred by at what seemed like an incredible pace. The hat swung back and forth entangling me further. I heard a creak that was now magnified hundreds of times because my size but I still recognized it as her closet door opening. The hat and I were lifted up higher and higher and finally she let go. The hat fell what seemed like miles before it snapped to a halt as if it were a bungee cord. I smashed into dark blue ropelike mesh of Al’s stocking cap as I looked down at her.

            “I, I don’t know who you are, or what you are, but you can’t be Jacen. You’re not my big brother. A bug of man like you can’t be him.” She slammed the door shut and I found myself hanging in darkness.