- Text Size +

The cotton of her sock looked to be thicker then the wall of a house. The ridges were wide enough for me to put my hands in between. As I looked at the sock, I could see its bright white color towards the top and then its dingy white almost grayish color in the last bit of sock you could see before it goes beneath Al’s foot.

I start to stand up while looking from right to left for some place to hide. Just as I am about to stand up her other foot stomps down behind me, the impact makes my heart jump nearly out of me. I tumble over and land awkwardly on one of the Doritos. A shadow appears over before I even have time to move. All I can see is my little sister’s hand moving towards me. I scream as I watch it get closer and closer. Alyson’s hand is nearly on top of me when I spot a dark navy blue sock just beside me. I roll over and crawl into the sock just missing her hand.

“Stupid bug” I hear my sister say in reference to me as the sock begins to lift up. I realize my error immediately. I was reacting without thinking. She is looking down at the whole scene and can see every move I make. I was reacting as if we were on equal footing. Getting into the shoe, crawling through her shirt it all would have been useless. She is looking down on everything, seeing everything. I never had a chance.

My realization came to late however as I felt myself skidding towards the toe section of sock. I crashed face first into the putrid bottom of the sock. I wondered how long this sock was sitting here as I struggle to stand up but I found standing inside the sock to be a lot like trying to stand on a hammock.

I could see bits and pieces of my younger sister flash by through the tiny holes that cover the entirety of the sock The computer chair depress as my sister sits down looking at the sock, her eyes beating down on me as I struggle just to stand up in the bottom of one of her socks.

“Alyson! The police officer wants to talk to you about your brother honey.” I had never been so happy to hear the voice of my mother in my life.

“You’re saved, for now buggie. But you are going to be food for Rosco when I come back.” I watch my sister stand up and drop the sock onto her desk, she is about to walk away when I feel her pick up the sock again.

“Not so fast bug, I got a surprise for you.” Alyson says as I watch as a smirk travels across her face. Then in one fluid motion, I watch her knot the top of the sock sealing the only way out.

“Al! Its me Jacen!!” I yell but she drops the sock onto the computer chair and walks out of the room.

As soon as she leaves I fall to my knees, my entire body is shaking in fear as I gasp for air. My muscles ache as I start to crawl towards the foot hole of the sock. All I can hear in my head as I crawl towards the foot hole of the sock is you’re going to be food for Rocco. Rocco is my sister’s pet lizard. I remember her in the past her taking bugs that have been found in the house up to her room to feed to Rocco but I never pictured me being one of them.

The thought of that now giant lizard playing with me, and then finally sinking its teeth into me makes me sick. As I reach the knot my sister tied, I start trying to pry the sock apart. The smell of my sister’s sweat and feet is completely overpowering. Tears start to roll down my cheek as I hopelessly struggle to free myself. I can’t imagine that this is what my life has come too. Here I am fighting for survival from a smelly old sock knotted by my sister.

I watch the sunlight fall and darkness cover the room. I wonder what could be taking my sister so long. I had given up hours ago. There is no way out of this sock. There aren’t any holes, the knot is just to tight. I am a prisoner, being held captive in my little sister’s sock. The odors that have long been trapped in this sock are starting to drive me crazy. The idea that this sock could be months old grossed me out a little as I finally hear the door open. I expected her to come straight towards me, but she doesn’t. I watch her walk over to her bed. As I catch a glimpse of her face, I can see her eyes red, obviously from crying.

She lies on her bed for sometime, and then I see her eyes drift towards the chair. She just stared at it for a while then I saw her bolt up and head straight towards me. Each step she took towards me made me a bit more nervous, her hand wrapped around the sock and I felt myself sliding back towards the toe section as she unknots the sock.

I am then unceremoniously dumped onto her hand. She looked at me for a bit and then rolled me over with her finger. I can only repeatedly yell her name as I feel her start to move towards what I can only guess is the cage.

Two of Alyson’s fingers grip like a tweezers as I am lifted up into the air. I close my eyes as I wait for my decent into the cage, but then what I can only chalk up to a miracle I hear my name exit her lips. I open my eyes to see myself moving closer and closer to her face.

“Oh my god” Alyson says as I watch her face change from sadness, to happiness, and then to shock.

“I can’t believe this, you’re so tiny…”

“Al, you have to help me. Get me to mom.”

“You are so tiny. I can’t believe this. You are so tiny. You are tiny.”

“Al, Al, ALYSON!!” I shout but her grip on me tightens. I an only watch as her fingers wrap around my body sealing me in her dark sweaty fist as she feints.

“This isn’t so bad. Help is just delayed; she can’t be out for that long.” I mumble to myself as I find myself once again my little sister’s captive.

Almost immediately, I heard fast heavy thuds reverberating through the floor. The voice of my twin sister Jenni fills the room, and then heard her quickly close the door and rush back towards Al.

“Jenni” I shout but it is just no use. I feel Al’s body start to rise and her grip on me loosen. I reach my hands out trying to grab onto something, anything. I crash onto a pile of my sister’s clothes. I was literally saved by my sister’s dirty laundry. I never thought I would see the day.

My attention quickly turned to my sisters. I watched Jenni lay Al out across her bed and sit down next to her. I couldn’t tell wha she was doing but after a few minutes Alyson began to move around.

“Jenni?” Al groggily sputtered out.

“You fainted; you are probably just stressed out over this whole Jacen thing. Don’t worry though. He will be okay.” Jenni says reassuringly.

“No, that’s just it. I saw him. He is super tiny, like this small Jenni.”

“You were just seeing things, you were probably delirious. This is a very natural thing. You want Jacen to be back so you pictured him in something you were holding.”

“No he is right here in my hand” I watch Al’s expression change to disbelief as looks at her empty hand.

“I know this hard, but it will all be okay.” Jenni says as she runs her hand across her sister’s cheek.

“Your right, Jacen can be tiny. I’m just crazy. Who would believe that?”

“Now just rest up, and don’t tell mom and dad about this. They are going crazy enough without finding out you feinted.

“Okay” I clutched a ruffle of the skirt I was on for support as Jenni’s giant foot comes down closes by causing everything to shake. As Jenni left closing the door behind her I felt defeated. She had completely ruined any progress I made in getting help. Al just thinks I was a figment of her imagination.

I wonder if I am going to spend the rest of my like this? Living in my little sister’s bedroom, sleeping on her clothes, eating her scraps of food.