- Text Size +

 

 

****Jacen****

 

                I was shrouded in a world of darkness. I no longer felt the jostling of the book bag as Emma walked. I no longer heard the bustling hallways of peers and youths running to and fro, making weekend plans, talking about future parties. All of which were events and experiences that I was not a part of. I wondered if I would ever have the opportunity to participate in such events and lifestyles ever again. I looked at my diminutive body and compared it to these objects I use to dwarf. I would never have considered being crushed by calculator, impaled by a pen or pencil, or even trapped in a book bag. These were all things that seemed so impossible, so unlikely that they never entered my head of things that could happen to me.  Now, now everything is different. As I sit here in darkness I realize that my life may be coming to an end.  How long can I live like this until luck catches up with me? A footfall comes to fast, a giant stumbles, a book gets knocked off a shelf and I happen to be in its path.  All of these events are likely possibilities for my demise.  They were all the thoughts running through my head as I sat here in darkness. The fact that the book bag I was in was set down somewhere.

                My thoughts and ponderings were interrupted by a loud tearing sound. I instantly looked up while covering my ears to see light pouring into the book bag pocket like water into a glass. My eyes winced in pain for a moment as they adjusted to the light, however as my vision returned all I could see was Emma’s gigantic face. I wanted to scream, I wanted to yell, most of all I wanted help but I just sat there staring up at her. This was the first time I had truly seen a person who was not my sister, not a friendly person who has my best interests at heart. Someone who at the end of the day you knew you could trust. This was to me a stranger. While Emma has been my sister’s friend for years we don’t exactly hang out, or talk to each other. She is just someone I see as I walk to my room, or walk through the living room. She is no different to me then seeing a classmate or co-worker at the mall. While you acknowledge them, and know that there is a slight connection you aren’t exactly running over to meet them, you nod your head, maybe you wave but then you move on.

                I was left watching as Emma’s gigantic hands wrapped around the massive graphing calculator. I remember Emma as being scrawny and skinny. Unlike my sister Emma was no athlete. Emma was well, more of a girl.  She liked to do girl things, I wouldn’t say she didn’t like or care about sports they just weren’t anything special to her. She had no passion for them is probably the best way to put it. Emma was much more of a fashion mogul then my sister ever would be. Al is sweats and hoodie, Jeans and a t-shirt kind of person. Emma was from what I knew of her the exact opposite. Now to see her like this is shocking. Emma’s once dainty and scrawny body now looks powerful and muscular; her once very unintimidating presence now commanded respect and notice. I couldn’t believe I was looking at the same person.

                As Emma’s trunk like fingers wrapped around the calculator and pulled it out of the bag. The whoosh of air swept over me sending me tumbling head over heels until I crashed into the corner, by the time I recovered Emma was gone, but she had left an opening. The pouch was left unzipped; this opportunity left me completely torn inside. The safe thing to do would be stay here and wait till she is back around Al and try to get help then, but the other part of me knew that this may be my only chance to get out. What are the odds of this pouch being opened and Al being around coinciding together? I think it was that last thought which drove me to my conclusion. It was time leave.

I ran back over the pencil and started to shimmy my way up the pencil. The wood easily held my weight as I pulled myself up the length of pencil, however as I reached the eraser I realized a small problem. The pencil was lying at angle so there was a height difference where the pencil ended and where the top of the pouch ended.  I looked hopelessly at the distance I had to somehow navigate and began to wonder if I would die in here, when I heard loud fast moving footsteps. My heart began to beat faster and faster in fear and apprehension as the footsteps got closer and closer, I looked up through the opening at the top hoping to see what who or what was coming when everything lurched forward. The pencil and myself slammed into the front wall of the pouch and then the back wall. The entire book bag shuddered and started to fall forward. I screamed in terror everything around me was being shook about until we crashed into the ground and spilled out onto the floor. I lied on the floor in shock staring up at a gigantic kid; he didn’t look to be any older than six or seven at the most.

“Josh! Get out of here!! Stop messing around with my stuff. You know you aren’t allowed in here.” Emma’s voice rang throughout the room like the voice god. My bones shook as I heard a second powerful thud, followed by the ground trembling along with my body as I heard the footsteps of Emma nearing me.  As she came into view she instantly started looking at me. I couldn’t believe that she had spotted me so easily.  However, as Emma stared at me with curiosity I found myself continuing to tremble. My body wouldn’t stop shaking in fear.

Emma started to kneel down and bend over me, her hand reaching out towards me. That is when I first realized something was different. Emma’s hand wasn’t as big as it was before. In fact I may have been even a little big bigger than her hand. I darted my eyes from left to right and noticed everything was a little smaller but I couldn’t fathom how? Just a moment ago I was smaller, however the wonderment of how and why quickly left my head as I realized in the here and now I had  a giant grinning down at me.