- Text Size +

Thousands of thoughts were going through my head as I lay on the hardwood floor. I did not understand how this happened and I did not know how any doctor, or anyone for that matter could help me. This did not seem like some normal problem, or even a rare problem. I never had heard of anyone ever shrinking. This could not be some easy fix of take this prescription down to the drugstore, take a couple of these, and call me in the morning.

            My heart started to pound as I pondered having to spend the rest of my life like this. As I looked down at my body, I could not be more then an inch tall. This was not exactly what I had in mind for my last year of school before graduation.

            My thoughts were interrupted as I heard a door start to open. I was almost afraid to look. I was hoping it was my twin sister Jenni, as she would be more mature being she was the same age as I was. The ideal situation would have been my parents finding me, but the fact they have a room downstairs, made it very unlikely they would come upstairs at all after 8pm.

            My hopes unfortunately went answered as the door to my younger sister’s room opened up. I still could not get over how huge she looked. It was a bit terrifying to see my sister this massive in size. I started running towards her door, as I had no idea how long this window of opportunity would be open, and it would be easier to get her attention once in her room then it would be right now. As it just did not seem likely, that she would be staring at floor.

            I nervously watched her foot soar overhead and crash down behind me. I stumbled a bit almost tumbling to the ground as I continued running towards her bedroom. I looked down the hall and breathed a sigh of relief as I watched her head downstairs. I knew that I had caught my first lucky break. Since she was going down stairs, I now had five to ten minutes to get into her room.

            I could not believe how long it took me to make it to her room. It took nearly twice as long as I had imagined. I could hear Al starting to come back up the stairs just as I made it into her room. As soon as I entered, I ran to the side and clutched the trim that went along side the wall. Staying along the trim would be the safest place to hang out while Alyson settled into her room, as I definitely did not want to end up smushed under her foot.

            The first thing I saw of my sister as she entered the room was her pink sock; it was a rather dingy looking pink sock with Betty Boop faces all over it. I felt small as I looked at her feet. I could see all the tiny holes of her cotton socks; I could feel the heat coming off her foot. This very same foot, which was now several times my length, the foot of my younger sister, could now engulf me. I felt completely humiliated at the thought of it, and then on top of that, the very same foot could most likely crush me without to much difficulty.         

            The closing of her door interrupted my thoughts. I looked at the door for a second realizing that this was really it. There was no going back from here; even if I wanted to, I could not now, as the door tightly shut. I exhaled loudly as I turned towards my sister who was already across the room.

            “Let’s do it.” I said to myself.

            I scanned the room from my spot against the trim of the wall next to the door. The room was far from spotless so that was to my advantage. There were several piles of clothes, some cds and movies, along with other junk scattered around. Therefore, I could hop from pile to pile until I reached her or I could go along the wall. The wall would be the safest, but the pile hopping would be the quickest. The important thing was to not be spotted until I was ready to be. My worst fear was being mistaken for a bug, or something else along those lines. I wanted help, and I wanted Al to find me, but it had to be on my terms. If I could make it to her nightstand, and then hang out there until morning, the perfect time would be right when she got up. She would be looking at her alarm, and there I would be.

            I started to look around the room and cringed at all the stuff she had along her walls. Dressers, nightstands, desks, bookshelves, television stands. It would be a nightmare going around all that. I decided that the best choice action would be to hop from pile to pile.

            I took a deep breath and sprinted across the floor to the first pile, however the run was not as easy going as I had first suspected. The tall shag carpeting made the run more like running through a field of corn. I had to constantly move the carpet fibers out the way with my hands as I ran.

            I thought that I would never reach that first pile. I continued pushing the carpet fibers out of my way as I made my way to my first point. I was about halfway to the first to the first pile when I felt the floor begin to shake and pulse as a loud voice engulfed the room causing me to stop in my tracks. I looked from left to right trying to figure out what was going as it sounded like the voice of god was swirling around me. Then I started to notice that god sounded like a lot like Hilary Duff. I shook my head at my stupidity. It’s my sister’s lame music; she has it playing over her surround sound system.

            I continued on my way without any major interruption, beyond the annoying music swirling around me. As I reached the first pile, I collapsed onto a white cassimere sweater. I lay sprawled out across the sweater gasping for air. I could not believe how out of shape I was. This was a nightmare. At this pace, I would never get across the room. I sat up and looked over at my sister. She had on grey sweatpants with a pink stripe going down the side of the pant leg; her right foot was dangling over the side of her bed as he read a magazine. She had no clue I was even here. I realized for the first time that this was not going to be as easy as I had first thought.