- Text Size +

 

The year was 1942. World War 2 struck the whole world, including the Pacific islands. The Americans were pushing their navy strong through the Pacific to weaken the Japanese hold. Still eager for another victory since the Battle of the Coral Sea, a convoy was traveling to a destination where Japanese carriers were said to be under the control of their admiral Nagumo. In that convoy were four submarines and one light cruiser. On that light cruiser was an Ensign named Douglas McCarthy. He was in his late twenties with a tall stature than most of his fellow crew. He was good-looking man too. Even if he didn’t have the great hair, his buzzcut of sorts made him look somewhat intimidating.

 

“Lieutenant, how much longer?”

 

“Not too long. The captain says we’ll hit ‘em by 09:45. Maybe sooner. Make sure your station is prepped.”

 

Then McCarthy ran off.  It wasn’t long until they flanked the Japanese he thought. He ran out and walked his way down to deckside. Before he submerged below deck, he saw something in the corner of his eye out on the sea. He thought he was seeing things but his eyes did not deceive him. On the horizon he spotted two white ships, similar to carriers. Could be another convoy he thought. But where are the cruisers he thought. Then he heard a yell. “Position it so we can use our left side!”

 

Then came running. His fellow crew ran to their positions while McCarthy stood still, watching the USS Cleveland slowly go towards the two carriers. The ship started to slowly turn to the left as Douglas stopped watching and ran below deck. He caught up to one Seaman name Arthur Richman. “Richma-.. Richman!” Douglas said to Arthur as he stopped. “Everything checked?”

 

“Yes sir. We’re prepared.”

 

“Both sides?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Good. I’ll report back. If anything critical happens, run back to me and report it. No-one else.”

 

“Why?”

 

“There is a good reason, but not now.”

 

McCarthy ran off once more. He dashed through the men moving about. Soon he got up to the deck and returned to earlier position. The USS Cleveland was still turning itself into correct position but it seem the carriers were just a mile away. Then came roars of Zero fighters. Douglas ran up straight towards the Lieutenant. This time he was talking with another Lieutenant. “Charles, we are best going straight into them.”

 

“Their fighters are coming straight down bring hell with them. We should pull out.”

 

“Fine. Use the submarines as decoys and they hopefully can bring down the damned carriers. Take a right and we’ll circle around hopefully reaching the rest of the fleet. I’ll report this to the Captain.”

 

Without hesitation, McCarthy told the lieutenant that remained that firing was an option.

 

“Not anymore. Just stay alert with your station. Report anything critical.”

 

 

McCarthy nodded his head and went back out. Soon the ship was taking a right instead, now heading away from the carriers. McCarthy returned to his position and watched the carriers lose speed. It seemed tall well, until the noise of the Zero fighters became louder. Then in a blink, two explosions happened not far. Two submarines of ours were hit by torpedoes. McCarthy couldn’t believe his eyes watching the explosions die down and saw nothing come up. Then another. The Japanese fighters or something were getting rid of the submarines he thought. He kept watching and waiting for something else to happen. He didn’t even bother checking his station, knowing that he may just be dead soon and he should just live his last minutes taking everything in.

 

 

A minute past by of retreating from the carriers and fighters until one fighter came into his view. Then shots came from the cruiser, shooting down the fighter before it did anything drastic. After that, McCarthy saw one carrier explode. The explosion was larger than the submarines and soon covered the other carrier in smoke. “We may have a chance,” he said under his breath. Then the expected came. The worse. Engines roared even louder and soon there were tens, maybe thirty Zero fighters closing in on the cruiser. Shots again came from the cruiser, bringing down one, then two and maybe three fighters. They all moved out and then fired. McCarthy ran for it underdeck as bullets rained down at cruiser. He saw the men run around, panicking at their positions, unsure of what to do. Douglas could only listen to fighters exploding and bullets hitting the cruiser. Seconds past after the action until a loud explosion came from the left of the ship. The front was hit by a torpedo. “Damn submarines!” yelled a man. Then another explosion on the far right at the end of the ship.

 

McCarthy thought this was the end. He heard a man crying, others wishing the best and some asking God to show mercy. He ran above and saw the chaos. Fighter raining down, fire from each side. He looked away seeing the carrier gain speed. Soon he only saw ten fighters in the sky but that didn’t matter. Another explosion. This time, it hit the middle right where McCarthy was. The blast knocked him down, slamming his head hard on the wooden deck. He felt little and noticed his vision being blurry. He was knocked unconscious.