- Text Size +

Essira hummed as she flipped through her books, her quill scratching away as she edited out her stock and profits. The sale of humans was rather easy to make profits on if one was savvy and spread out their market to both breeding and taming as well. Her stock was relatively self-sustaining due to the careful breeding associated and they barely cost her much to upkeep, given their diminutive size. Of course, one had to be able to present a good product and that was what killed many businesses that tried to enter the market.

 

Any elf could swing an arm- or more often a foot- and hit a hundred battered, abused, and malnourished humans. Pitiful, often diseased little things that would be better off being put out of their misery. Useless as food and hazardous as pets, most ended up red stains under the elven race. A sad reality to someone like Essira but it helped one like her present better product. If an elf wanted a pet they wanted one that understood their place, were well trained, and overall were not much of a hassle.

 

The human breeder picked up a teacup beside her book and sipped at it daintily. She giggled slightly as she felt a gentle squirming down below, shaking her head slightly. The tall dark haired elf curled her toes slightly, bringing that squirming to a halt. The elf didn’t look down and certainly didn’t acknowledge the tiny human woman set between her toes, currently gasping and panting for the breath that had been stolen from her lungs. An unruly one, one of her more rebellious stock that had yet to be properly broken in.

 

The wriggling started again, the tiny human struggling and straining to escape the massive digits pinning her between them. She tried with all of her might, her hands pushing against the skin of Essira’s big toe. Her face was red and sweat was pouring from her brow. All her efforts earned was another clenching of the toes around her, pressing the air forcibly from her lungs though was not enough to bruise her or break bones. It was more an unconscious reaction from the human breeder, the elf not even halting in her bookkeeping as it happened.

 

She finished getting herself up to date and by that point she noted the tiny human below had fallen limp. The elf turned in her seat and extended her leg out, looking down it at the exhausted and sweaty woman set between her toes. The human was looking away from her in some weak attempt at continued defiance. Essira lifted an eyebrow at her, bobbing her foot ever so to get her to attention.

 

“Are you done having your little fit, Victoria? I hope so; I don’t enjoy this any more than you do.” The elf said, her expression stern.

 

Victoria looked fit to let loose a string of explicative words that would have seen her get better acquainted with Essira’s toes, however her expression turned thoughtful. After a few moments she lowered her head in a submissive manner, still refusing to speak. Pleased by the reaction Essira reached down and picked her up between her thumb and forefinger. Progress at last it seemed. It was always gratifying when they started to learn to submit. They were always happier for it in the long run even if it might have been against their nature to begin with.

 

As Essira returned Victoria to her cage, offering a gentle pat on the head with her pinky she heard the bell on the door ring. The elf promptly closed the cage and headed into the front room, setting a smile upon her face. Hopefully not one of Idria’s colleagues. The females she had put on display previously had to be replaced by others after the scare she had put in them. Not a fun time all said.

 

She opened the door to the front and smiled brightly. “Hello! Welcome to the Loving Arms, I’m Essira Thrani. How can I help you today?” She greeted warmly.

 

Before her were a pair of young adult elven women. Both wore grey colored robes, leather sandals and wore rings of copper around their respective ring fingers. One stood just a tad below Essira’s impressive height and had short fiery red hair with freckles dotting her face gently. The other was shorter and had a shock of white hair pulled into a ponytail, her dusky complexion marking her as a denizen of the eastern provinces. A pair of young apprentices from the Citadel from the looks of them.

 

The shorter of the pair stepped forward, a smirk on her lips. “How goes? Names Rusila and this is Viliaus. We’re looking for a couple of cuties to commemorate us getting our apprenticeships!” She said.

 

Essira clapped her hands together. “Ohhh, new apprentices at the Citadel? So exciting! What are your fields?” She asked, seizing on Rusila’s obvious pride.

 

The white haired elf nodded to her taller companion. “She’s an illusionist and I’m an elementalist. Since we got different masters we’re going to exchange pets, so we’ve always got a little piece of each other with us.”

 

Viliaus blushed. “Rusi…” She admonished weakly.

 

Essira gave her brightest smile to both of them; this was certainly a transaction she could get behind. “That’s an amazing idea! Whenever your pet gives you some love it’ll feel like it’s coming straight from your friend. And I assure you, you’ll never find any more loving than my little darlings.”

 

Viliaus cleared her throat. “Umm… I’ve never owned a human before so…”

 

A shrug followed that statement from Essira. “It is no concern at all, I’m sure your friend here can advise you and I’ll help out with whatever you might need. Now then! First of all what were you thinking you were looking for?”

 

Rusila tapped a finger to her chin. “Females. Easier for Vili to deal with and they are so much cuter. Young adults probably. Maybe sisters if you have them? Oh! Or twins!”

 

Essira laughed lightly at Rusila’s enthusiasm and she led both elves towards the back. “I just so happen to have a lovely pair of darling that will suit both of your needs.”

 

The tall elf led the pair over to a large cage with a few females milling about. The humans looked up nervously at the little humans and Viliaus returned the nervous glances, moving slightly behind her friend. The shorter elf knew no such inhibitions and leaned forward, her giant face looming above the cage as she let out a coo of delight. Her hazel eyes trailed over each one in their turn, a grin splitting her lips.

 

“They’re sooo adorable! They look so clean and tidy, not at all like the pets sold back in my province. My old girl was the thinnest thing I’d ever seen and she was so frail, but these look all healthy! What’s your secret?” She gushed.

 

Essira chuckled. “A good diet, daily exercise routines and lots of love.” She stated.

 

Rusila tugged her friend closer and pointed to a pair of humans inside. They were both huddled in the corner of the cage, brown haired and rather pretty looking identical twins. They stared up fearfully at the two new elves, holding each other. It was rare to get twins and Essira considered both to be among her favorites. What better fate for them than to get a pair of loving and caring owners? She had always wanted to sell both at once as separating them would be utterly heartbreaking.

 

“Anais and Kali. Both home bred, in house. Seen them grow for twenty years. I think you both could give them good homes.” She said.

 

Rusila looked up at Essira. “Can we hold them?”

 

“Certainly, let me get them out for you.”

 

The shadow of Essira’s hand descended upon the cage, its denizens distancing themselves from the twins. She carefully picked up both in one hand and lifted them up, kissing them both on the crown to reassure them. She handed Anais to Rusila and Kali to Viliaus. Both looked somewhat distressed to be separated from each other but did little other than shrink away in the hands of the two apprentices.

 

The pair conducted themselves quite differently. Viliaus held Kali in her open hand and regarded her carefully, receiving a similar look back. The elf gingerly extended her pinky and tapped at the top of the human’s head. Kali’s training and rearing took hold and she leaned into the caress, let out little noises of satisfaction from the attention. Viliaus managed a tiny, shy little smile as she got acquainted with the twin. Essira felt her heart melt at the tender sight.

 

Rusila, however, was far more enthusiastic about showing her affection. As soon as she had Anais in her hands she placed a big kiss right on her face, earning a dazed look from the tiny human. She then opened her palm and started tickling at her sides, the tiny human reduced to a laughing fit in seconds. Tears of mirth fell from her eyes as she writhed in Rusila’s palm, slapping her little hands in the flesh beneath her.

 

“Both are quite obedient I assure you. Very well trained and up to a variety of tasks. If you’d like you can see for yourselves.” Essira said, well aware she had her hooks in them. Now all she had to do was get them committed to the buy.

 

Rusila beamed. “I think we’d both love that, Miss Thrani.”

 

Essira chuckled, leading both by the shoulder towards the front room. “Please, my dear, call me Essira. I won’t take no for an answer there.”

 

The younger elf giggled, tucking a strand of white hair behind her ear. “Certainly, Essira. You can call me Rusi if you like then!”

 

Essira sat both down on a pair of plush chairs and pulled up one of her own. “Right, sandals off. Then set both down and just sit back and relax.”

 

Both did as they were told, though Viliaus looked a bit hesitant and unsure. Not many elves were so uncomfortable around humans. Perhaps she was a northern province girl? Essira knew well the human market rarely made it that far out. As opposed to the eastern provinces which were very much involved in the trade, though it was mostly in the food industry. Rusila seemed nice enough considering that though. Handled her pets nicely, looked to give them plenty of love. Pity she was an apprentice or Essira might consider giving her a job.

 

Essira looked down at the twins and smiled. “Well? Go on, don’t be shy. These two might be your new owners, best to make a good impression.” She said with a giggle.

 

The pair looked so much smaller upon the floor and Essira could only imagine what the world looked like from down there. They looked at each other and then headed off to their respective positions. Viliaus looked confused still while Rusila was wriggling her tanned toes in anticipation. A fairly popular treatment for humans and one of the more basic tasks they were taught.

 

Both knelt down before the feet of their respective potential owner and leaned over their big toes, tongues lolling from their mouth as they started to lick. Viliaus jolted in her seat slightly, knocking Kali upon her back. The tiny human looked up at the elf fearfully, her arms shielding her as though expecting danger.

 

“Miss Thrani, please don’t let her hurt me!” She squeaked, her sister halting and looking extremely distressed.

 

Rusila laughed and patted Viliaus’ shoulder. “Calm down, girl, they’re just giving us some love. Now look, you’ve gone and scared the poor thing. Just relax.” She admonished playfully.

 

Viliaus blushed. “I-I just wasn’t expecting it is all. I’m sorry!” She said, looking at the tiny human apologetically.

 

Essira waved a hand. “Happens all the time with first time owners. Its fine Kali, you just surprised her is all. Maybe ask her permission? So she’s ready.”

 

The tiny human swallowed hard and licked her lips, having broken out into a fearful cold sweat. “M-May I please show you my adoration, Miss?” She managed to squeak out.

 

The elf nodded hesitantly, squirming slightly in her seat. Her companion rolled her eyes at the display and leaned back in her chair, letting out a sigh of contentment as her own girl licked away. She splayed her toes slightly, allowing Anais to crawl and get in between her digits, licking at the sides of Rusila’s toes and upon her webbing. The tan skinned elf let out a coo of delight at the attention.

 

The less confident of the two looked rather nervous and wouldn’t stop shifting in her seat, confirming to Essira she was likely from a more remote province. Hard to believe there were still parts of their empire that didn’t get many humans. Though what others might see as strange Essira saw as a potential business venture. An open market was just waiting for the right person to seize it.

 

After a while though she calmed down and seemed to relax, Kali working dutifully with the occasional cautious glance upwards. She applied a generous coat of saliva on Viliaus’s toes, going so far as to get down in between them to reach the sensitive webbing. Rusila had a wide smile on her face as hers worked, her gaze upon Essira. No reason to really pay the humans much mind after all. It was their job.

 

“You know how to really seal a deal, Essira. How much for both?” She asked.

 

Essira looked down at the pair below, tapping her chin with her index finger. “Hmm… well they are twins so that rarity ups the price. Normally they’d run for 300 ducals for that reason. However, since you and your friend are so delightful, I’ll shave off 100 and say around 200 ducals would be my bottom dollar.”

 

The tanned elf thought about it for a little bit, stroking her chin as she looked at the human toiling away at her feet. She was naturally aware of what was being discussed above, she wasn’t stupid. However it wasn’t like she had agency here. She and her sister were commodities first and foremost. They could only hope that these two giant elves they granted there adoration and affection to would be kind owners.

 

“200 sounds fair I guess. What do you think, Vili?” Rusila said, looking at her companion.

 

The other elf jolted to attention, having been lost in her own little world. “Sorry, I was miles away. What was that?”

 

Rusila rolled her eyes. “Yeah, think she likes her. 200 ducals it is, 100 each.”

 

Essira waved a hand. “No need to get up and pay now. My humans have very sublime stamina, so they can keep going for a while yet. Besides, they love this. Don’t you my darlings?”

 

“Yes, Miss Thrani.” The two pipped up in unison before returning to their licking.

 

Essira laughed lightly, a clear and pure sound lacking in malice. She leaned back in her own chair and crossed her legs, bobbing her foot slightly. It was hard not to take pride in her work really. She got to work with the most darling and precious creatures that walked the earth after all. More than that though she loved meeting new people. Building connections was of paramount importance after all.

 

“In any event, where are you two headed after this?”

 

Rusila shrugged. “Dunno, I might try to talk Vili here into trying a food stand. They don’t have human anything where she’s from. Talk about deprived. Gotta get her out to experience them.”

 

“Rusi…” Came a weak admonishment.

 

“Hey, I’ve got a lot of firsts in store for you. First human pet, first human meal, and first human drinking game. Have to try everything at least once. Don’t knock it till you try it and all that.” The tan elf said.

 

Normally Essira might very well have felt off put by the whole affair but Rusila did have a point. As much as it embarrassed the peacock clad elf to admit she’d had this stage in her youth as well. Sort of a thing every youth went through. Naturally she’d disliked it immediately and never did it again but it still happened and was still an experience that had made her who she was today. Viliaus could make the choice for herself whether she liked it or not. It was simply the way of things. A person could have a taste for humans and enjoy splattering a few on pavement and still make for a decent owner. Essira had several friends that were like that. It all depended on the elf of course. She wondered what kind of elf Viliaus would be. Only time would tell.