- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Enisi's punishment continues, but rather than crushing her, rather than the same sorrows she's placed upon others, Aine chooses something a bit different

Kana examined the body, horrified but knowing that seeing such a thing was divine in nature, as his masculine fingers grasped Enisi's still, chilling ones he felt color come to his face, felt a weight lifted from his shoulders.

He had initially loved his now dead queen, but as time passed and she asserted her wicked dominance, the love faded. His only regret was she never showed remorse, never realized that the nobility needs the people as much as the people need the nobility.

"I loved you as wicked as you'd become, I'd always hoped you'd change," he said quietly as he gave his dead wife's fingers one last kiss.

Watching this, unable to interact or replay sat Enisi, nude and forgotten by the mortal world in her passing, her fingers running along the mirror's edge as the words hit her.

"And so it begins," whispered Aine from behind her, still unmoving on her throne.

"The beginning embers of remorse," Enisi tried to block the goddess out, trying to dismiss the feelings she had as just a moment of weakness, she ruled how she did to keep them in line, it was for their own good...right?

She watches years pass in hours, her funeral was somber, quiet and met with neither fanfare nor great swaths of visitors. She watched as her former husband set her funeral barge alight and set it adrift into the sea before turning away.

Is this another woman in her life, a priestess of some sort given how she is dressed and a giantess, perhaps Titaness judging by how she towered over him by a few feet.

Kana cried into the woman's shoulder, his words clear on how he failed his people, failed Enisi because she wouldn't change. More time passed and Enisi felt her cold heart harden, ache more.

"He really did care," she murmured as more time passed and Kana and this new woman began to see more and more of one another, the pain in his heart leaving and her former people slowly recovering from her rule, harvests going to those who needed it, justice served by a new sect of priests devoted to the goddess who even now served as her warden.

Kana and the nameless woman continue their budding friendship, which soon turns to playful courtship, the once weary king flush with life and showing a devotion she'd been the recipient of early in their relationship. It hurt; she'd thrown away such a feeling for power, for control.

"I don't deserve this, please Goddess make it stop," she wept softly as she grasped the bars, her knuckles white.

"I will not, this is your punishment, this is justice and your soul learns more through this than if it were cast down to the dead goddess's realm," Aine replied as an unseen force twisted Enisi's head back towards the mirror.

"Your sister wished it, gave her life to me to serve as my own hand in the mortal realms for this sentence, a sister you exiled for standing against you," Aine continued unmoving still even as her captive reacted as if punched in the stomach.

"Nagisa," she murmured and remembered the argument, the hateful words and the beating she and her guards had given her younger sister before dragging her to the wastes to rot. Even now, even now she cared.

Tears flowed freely now, both from regret, humiliation and potent, helpless despair as she looked to the mirror again as Kana slipped a ring around the woman's finger and went to a knee.

The mystery woman tossed herself at him, embraced him a deep kiss as she whispered the words I do, in the old King's eyes Enisi could see she'd been forgotten, the hurt, the torment, the greed all forgotten with that one kiss.

Aine ignored the rattling of the cell bars and Enisi's yelling and raging as realization hit her.

"He was mine, my love, my bedmate; you have no claim you nameless wretch!" The anger burned out just as quick and she slumped.

"Where was this devotion when you were alive, when your people starved or were executed for the slightest misstep, do you truly think they'd care about your protest?" Aine was again face to face with Enisi, this time in the cell with her and of her height.

"All the pain you suffered, all the lives you've seen in your mind time and time again and still you protest, still you rage against things you've crafted with your own hand," the goddess backhanded the other woman disgusted at her actions.

"Even your own sister works for your redemption, undoing your harmful words to your neighbors and praying nightly for redemption," Aine showed an image of a woman, glad in ivory armor, speaking with Floris's neighbor countries, suffering attacks, boos and anger. But bares them with dignity and silence, praying they hear her words.

Enisi broke, it was all true and even in death people suffered. With hands to her face she sobbed, babbled admitted her sins as her walls of denial crumbled.

Aine offered no pity and walked away, her form shifting to a cloud of light and sifted through the bars, expanded and reformed into her noble body as she sat again.

"You've accepted your sin, now...lament and think upon them," she murmured as she sat down, the throne and the goddess sitting upon it vanishing, leaving those golden eyes to look upon the former queen, before closing and leaving Enisi to sob in silence and repent.

Chapter End Notes:

Still debating on continuing in this world, either doing something with Enisi prior this or an after she's gone sort of thing