- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I realize I started this story off with a big bang and have followed it up with a lot of background info. There will be GTS content coming I promise, just hang in with me.

Interpreting the Scars

Perplexed by the scarification on Anna Smith, Dr. Henry contacted a colleague who contacted another colleague who might be able to make some sense of the marks covering the girl.

Eventually Dr. Henry was put in touch with Dr. Elias Travers, a history professor at Columbia University and disciple of Joseph Campbell’s teachings on mythology.

The two doctors connected via a video conferencing link.

“Very pleased to meet you Dr. Travers, I appreciate you taking time out of your schedule to speak with me,” Dr. Henry said.

“Not at all, my pleasure Dr. Henry. This is incredibly interesting as these scars are very similar to early Babylonian cuneiform. The eight pointed star was a traditional symbol belonging to the Babylonian goddess Ishtar or her Sumerian counterpart Inanna as well as the cognate for Aramean Astarte. All represent a wide spectrum of spheres of influence, love, war, fertility, sex, and so forth. Aside from the star, two of the symbols specifically identify Inanna. There is also a demarcation here for Tiamat, in her dark capacity, sort of the personification of primordial chaos and amongst her corporeal forms she is a purported to be a dragon. Whoever did this is incredibly versed in the ancient belief systems in and around fourth millennia BCE Uruk. Absolutely fascinating.”

“These were savagely carved into the flesh of a little girl,” reminded the doctor.

“Notwithstanding the gravitas of the origin, fascinating nonetheless,” replied Dr. Travers.

“So what does it mean?” asked Dr. Henry.

“Now here is the curious part. While I’m not quite sure about some of the markings, the reference to Tiamat is interesting, as it indicates ‘of’ or ‘from’ and likened to Ishtar or Inanna. It’s a little murky and while we have tremendous resources to help decipher ancient cuneiform, some of these symbols have never appeared before and might be nothing more than inventive balderdash fabricated by a disturbed mind,” Dr. Travers provided.

Dr. Henry let out a slow measured breath, massaging the bridge of his nose, “And?”

“Well, I can’t be certain, but it appears as if it is either an invitation for Inanna or one like her to inhabit the vessel, or a possibly a ward preventing possession of the vessel,” explained Dr. Travers.

“Let me see if I understand, so Anna’s father, in all his dementia, carves ancient marks into his daughter to either invite or repel a goddess who has been dead for thousands of years from taking possession of her body? Like Catholic possession, the Exorcist?”

“These belief systems predate Christian ideology, but I think the analogy is comparable,” supplied the professor.

Dr. Henry frowned, “How would someone become conversant in such a thing, like how would Adam Smith know?”

“Therein lies the conundrum, how indeed? I have devoted a significant portion of my life to the study of such and I have conferred with a couple of trusted peers. Whatever madness possessed this man to do this to his child, he is perhaps a diabolical genius,” supplied Elias.

Dr. Henry nodded. He had hoped for more concise reading of the marks, but short of getting the reasoning right from the proverbial horse’s mouth, this was as close as he was going to get. “Thank you again for sparing me some of your time, if you could send me a copy of your translation, it would be greatly appreciated.”

“Of course, and again it was my pleasure,” answered Dr. Travers.

Dr. Henry shut down the link, mind swirling with unanswered questions. Ishtar, Tiamat, Inanna. Inanna? In Anna? Was there something lurking inside this little girl? Was Adam Smith trying to draw it out or was he trying to keep it in?

He snorted, chastising himself for getting caught up in Adam’s madness. Adam Smith may have believed his daughter was to be some type of avatar for a dead Sumerian goddess, but that was on him.

He decided he would go speak to Anna herself.

Dr. Dennard’s evaluation of Anna showed there might be elements of a borderline personality disorder coupled with post traumatic stress. Given the degree of her experiences, she presented a high functioning developing intellect but was prone to bouts of emotional instability and almost debilitating fear.

Dr. Shepherd’s prognosis for potential grafting also appeared promising

Jim knew he would not have much time with the girl given that Margie had made all the necessary arrangements to get into contact with Anna’s mother and that her mother and new husband were coming to get her within the next day. Stopping at the hospital gift shop, he purchased a medium stuffed brown colored bear with large eyes and made his way up to her room. Pulling her chart out of the holder next to the door, he thumbed through the pages. On top of everything else going on In Anna’s life, she experienced menarche, she had her very first menses, period.

Tucking the chart back into the holder, he peered into the room through the window in the door, she was sitting up in bed and it looked like she was coloring. He knocked and opened the door, peeking around the corner, holding the little bear for her to see. She smiled.

“Dr. Jim,” she said.

He returned her smile and entered the room, “What you drawing there Anna?” he asked, taking a seat in a chair beside her bed.

She held up the sheet of paper. The sheet was mostly colored black, a dozen depictions of eight pointed stars littering the field, and two large brightly yellow colored eyes.

“Wow, you’re very talented,” he said, handing her the bear.

She took the bear and pulled it into a strong embrace.

“You’ll have to give him a name,” Dr. Henry said.

“Dumuzi,” she said with a big grin, holding the bear at arm’s length a moment before pulling it back into a hug.

Dr. Henry looked at the drawing and pushed the top sheet aside to see others underneath. He wondered how much of Adam Smith’s delusion had poured into her young mind?

Selecting the sheet with the stars and the dragon, “What made you decided to do this?” he asked.

She shrugged and set the bear on the bed beside her.

He continued to smile, “Okay. May I have this drawing?” he asked,

She smiled and nodded.

“How do you feel today?” he asked.

“My cuts are itchy and they feel hot,” she replied, touching her stomach.

He nodded, “Can I take a look?”

She pulled up her shirt.

He frowned. The wounds, though they would leave significant scars, were almost completely healed. There were fortunately still no signs of infection. He looked at the girl’s face then back to her stomach before allowing her to lower her shirt.

“They are healing very quickly. You have a very strong constitution,” he said.

She nodded, “Dr. Shepherd says he can help make them go away,” she added.

Dr. Henry smiled, “He’s very good at what he does. He will take care of you.” Patting her knee, he got up and left the room.