- Text Size +

Malpractice

The door to the nurse’s station opened and the school nurse Miss Blackmore stood there. Imogen smiled. Miss Blackmore was really good friends with her mother and would occasionally come to their home for visits.

“Imogen, are you alright?” she asked, eyes growing wide and filling with alarm.

The girl frowned, kind of surprised by the intensity of the nurse’s question and the sudden look of fear in the woman’s eyes, “Yeah, I kind of choked on a pen lid and Mr. Hall said I should come get it looked at just to be safe,” she said, cadence of her words slow.

The nurse smiled and let out a sigh, “That’s good, come in, have a seat and let me take a look,” she said, steering the girl into a chair beside the desk. “You can set your books on the desk, I’m just going to wash my hands,” she said cordially, moving over to the sink and turning on the faucet and dousing her hands under the stream of water. “Can you tell me what happened?” she asked, turning off the water and drying her hands.

She shook her, “I was just sort of chewing on the lid and I don’t know what happened and then I was choking. Kirk Nelson gave me a Heimlich and it just popped out,” she explained, leaving out the part where she felt his hardness pressing against her bum.

Hands dry, Miss Blackmore came back over and took hold of Imogen’s jaw, moving it from side to side before getting the girl to open it and look her throat. “Any pain there?” she asked, unable to detect any signs of structural damage.

“Nuh-uh,” she replied, mouth still being held open.

“Difficulty swallowing?” the nurse asked, removing her hands from the girl’s face.

Imogen swallowed. “A little scratchy, but not bad, kind of like a tickle,” she answered. “I mean it just kind of happened and already it feels a lot better,” she said.

“Any taste of blood in your mouth at all?”

Imogen shook her head, strand of red hair pulling free from behind her ear.

“Everything sounds good and if there’s any trauma it’s further down your throat than I can see,” she said with a smile before going over and washing her hands again. “I’ll keep you here until the end of the block and you can go to your next class if everything is still okay.”

“Okay,” Imogen said, nodding, looking at an anatomical poster on the wall.

“No pain in your ribs from Kirk’s efforts?”

She shook her head again.

“I’ll send your mother a message and let her know everything is okay,” Miss Blackmore said, drying her hands and pulling a cell phone out of her pocket.

“Really? Because I choked a little on a stupid pen lid?” she asked, frowning. “You know if you text her she will trip balls? Right?”

The nurse smiled, “She’s just concerned for your well-being is all,” she said, fingers dancing across the screen of her phone.

Imogen let out a long breath knowing there was going to be another one of ‘those’ lectures waiting for her when she got home. Her mother was super anal that way anytime she got hurt, whether it was something completely minor or not. She remembered when she was little, playing outside and she had slipped and falling, cutting open her knee. Her mother went ape shit taking her to Dr. Whidlow, saying Imogen must not be damaged. It was weird. Top that all off with the fact that her mother was a harsh germ freak. It was frustrating, like she was living in a bubble wrapped world.

“Done,” said Miss Blackmore, putting her phone back in her pocket and smiling at the girl.

Imogen smiled and gave her a thumbs up.

“You know, we seldom get a chance to talk, you and I, girl to girl. How have you been lately?” the nurse asked, sitting back in the desk chair.

I actually felt my first hard penis today, she thought, then shrugged. “Good I guess,” she answered.

“Looking forward to the holidays?”

Imogen shrugged. “I’ll will be good to take a break,“ she replied.

“Any plans during your time off over Christmas?”

“I don’t know, Mom says we’re going to go to some type of get together this year. She seems pretty excited about it,” she replied.

“Not you?”

Imogen shrugged. She hated getting dragged along to old people events. She seriously doubted there was going to be much fun for her. Boring.

Miss Blackmore nodded, “No boyfriends?” she asked.

Imogen rolled her eyes, “You now actually sound just like my mother. I see your lips moving but all I hear is her voice. She’s so worried that some boy will trick me into something naughty and I’ll end up pregnant or something,” she said. “No, there are no boys. I don’t know what it is, it’s kind of like I emit some type of high pitched frequency only dogs and boys can hear and it causes them to go running the other way. So weird,” she added, shaking her head.

The nurse nodded, “Boys,” she said smiling, the vessel must be pure.

“You? Plans for the holidays? Going anywhere?” she asked.

“I think I’m invited to that same get together with your folks,” she replied, smiling. On the solstice.

Imogen nodded, “Sounds like a hoot,” she said without much conviction.

The end of block buzzer sounded.

Looking up at the bold faced clock hanging on the wall, “That’s your cue, how do you feel now?” asked the nurse looking back at the girl, “Throat still feeling okay?”

Imogen touched her throat with her right hand, swallowing, there was no scratchiness and the tickle was gone, “Good,” she said, nodding and giving the woman a smile.

“Then you can be on your way, but any issues or any blood, you come back here right away,” Miss Blackmore stipulated.

The girl nodded and got up from her chair, “Thank you,” she beamed, slipping out the door.