- Text Size +

Mending

Returning inside the house, Anna smiled to herself. She knew no matter what the reports said who would possibly believe their fanciful tale. In the kitchen, she could hear her cell phone ringing, vibrating on the table in time with the notification sound.

She looked at the device buzzing on the table, the word ‘Mom” identified the caller.

Touching the green icon on her phone, she connected the call and raised the phone to the side of her head. “Hello mother,” she said, voice calm and without rancor.

“Oh thank goodness my dear, you’re alright, I was so very worried for you,” professed the voice of her mother from the other end of the line.

“I am touched by the depth of your concern,” replied Anna, half smile pulling at the corner of her mouth. “Perhaps you should come home and we can discuss it?” she suggested.

There was a pause. “Of course, but I think you need some time to better understand the situation,” she suggested. “You know, there are a lot of confusing things going on in your head right now,” she added.

“What is to understand? Your bid to replace me with a divine entity has failed, sort of,” responded the girl.

“Sort of? I don’t quite follow your meaning,” Darlene said.

“There are still parts of her in me, non sentient and instinctive, ancient,” she answered.

“Oh sweetheart, that’s so beautiful, it worked the way your father and I imagined it. You have become the goddess but you are still yourself,” she exclaimed jubilantly.

Anna could easily sense the duplicity, the deceit like a rancid odor permeating the air, “I knew you truly loved me,” she lied, manufacturing enough emotion to make it convincing.

“You know you can’t trust the others right?” Darlene asked. Anna could hear a man’s argumentative voice in the background, though she couldn’t make out the words.

“Just you, I know,” she answered.

“And Lyle, Mr. Collins, you know he has always had your best interest at heart too,” added her mother.

“Is he with you?”

“Yes, he’s concerned. What has happened to the other?” asked Darlene.

“Dead or dying,” Anna replied. “I have Veronica’s mother with me and the policeman who shot dad,” she added.

“Are they alive?” she asked, cautiously optimistic.

“Yes, but they are small and I’ve yet to decide on their fate,” she answered.

“That’s good they’re still alive. You know Brenda is a good person and I know you think Vance is an idiot for what he did, but he is not a particularly bad man,” Darlene said.

“You told me I couldn’t trust the others, were you mistaken?” Anna countered.

Darlene chuckled nervously, “No, I don’t think you can trust him per se, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he should die,” she provided.

“He requested mercy, after what he did, he begged me for mercy,” Anna seethed through her teeth, anger rising.

“You have all the power Anna, mercy is yours to grant should you choose. If it is your will to dispose of Vance because he is an asshole, then by all means that is your prerogative,” Darlene relayed.

Vance, an asshole? A smile crawled over Anna’s face. “Thank you mother, you have helped me find direction with a dilemma in my mind,” she said.

“I am pleased to have helped, please tell me how I’ve aided?” inquired Darlene.

“I have decided I will grant Vance the mercy he has requested,” Anna replied, smile broadening on her pretty face.

“You are a benevolent goddess my child, my darling child,” Darlene praised.

“You said he is an asshole and that is where he shall go, living, breathing, kicking and screaming,” Anna informed.

“Sorry? I’m not following,” Darlene said.

“I will not kill him with extreme prejudice. He is going to go into my anus, seems only suitable for one you have identified as an asshole,” Anna clarified.

Again there was a pause. “Um, okay, if that’s what you think is appropriate for him,” she said

“Do you not think it is fitting that he should meet his end in my end?” queried Anna.

“What about Brenda honey?” inquired Darlene, tone concerned.

“I have yet to decide,” she started, but then the doorbell rang. “There’s someone at the door,” she announced.

“Wait sweetheart,” urged Darlene.

“You need to come home mom,” Anna said, walking out of the kitchen and toward the front door.

“Soon dear,” replied Darlene, disconnecting the call.

Opening the front, it took her a moment to register her guest. The aged Jim Henry stood there, jacket cinched tight around his aged shoulders. Seeing her, he smiled.

“Dr. Jim?” she asked, surprised by his appearance on her stoop.

“Hi Anna,” he said. “I thought I saw you through the windows. Your father is here but the police have taken him into custody,” he informed.

Tilting her head to the side, she regarded him. “My father is dead, the police shot him in the head,” she stated bluntly.

“Oh Jesus, I’m sorry,” he said, emotion genuine.

She could sense him, his character. He was a good man having dedicated an entire life to help others. He had helped her when she was little and he had assisted her father. She could also tell he was dying.

“You have cancer,” she stated.

He smiled and nodded. “It’s okay, I’ve lived a good life and my regrets are few. It’s you I’m worried about,” he said.

“Come inside,” she said, stepping back from the doorway. Once in, she closed the door behind him.

“You’re much taller than I remember,” he said, turning to face her.

Her pupils vanished as her eyes began to glow.

“Anna?” he asked, stepping backward, eyes growing wide.

“Quiet,” she soothed, stepping forward and placing her hands on his chest and pushing him back against the wall, pinning him there. Gathering power, she channeled it down her arms and poured it into him.

Overwhelmed by the sensation of concentrated power suffocating him, he opened his mouth to scream but no sound came out. Doubling over, he slumped to the ground, unconscious.

She looked down on him and smiled, watching him as the transformation was taking place. Staggering back a bit, she realized she was incredibly tired.

Straightening, she left the good doctor where he was as she moved toward her bedroom. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Feel free to write a review, post comments, or provide feedback, it is always appreciated, thanks for reading!