- Text Size +

Lights, camera, ACTION!

“Man we hit the jackpot with Adam,” commented Scott, grin on his stubble laden face.

“I’ll say,” Barney agreed. They had captured the whole incident of Adam’s recapture by the police on film and were in the process of doing some field editing before taking it in to cash out. Several outlets were interested and the offers were getting ridiculous.

“Check that out,” Scott said suddenly, pointing at the girl walking up the opposite side of the road, attired inappropriately for the season. “Wait, it’s Anna,” he added, recognizing the girl as she passed under the light of a street lamp.

“What?” Barney asked, peering out from around one of the video monitor and through the glass of the van’s side window to get a look at what had captured Scoopy’s attention.

“This is bloody gold!” commented Scoopy, hastily grabbing his recorder and spilling out of the van toward the girl in a near run.

If she noticed him, she gave no indication as he approached, her eyes looking up instead at the house.

“Anna!” he said, stepping into her way and barring her path.

She turned her head to look at him.

“Did you know your father was here? How does that make you feel?” he said, sticking the recording device near her mouth.

She looked at the reporter then the small recorder and frowned.

“The police took him away less than an hour ago,” he provided.

“Leave this place,” she said, tone firm as she moved forward.

Again he interposed himself between the girl and her destination. Bright lights illuminated the area as Barney arrived, camera capturing images.

Her face darkened, “Has my mother returned here?” she asked.

Scoopy shook his head, “She left a while back with another woman, come on, tell us how you feel knowing your dad was here, probably looking to finish what he started,” he said excitedly.

You shall speak no more of my father,” she instructed, pushing passed him.

Scott grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her around, “Aren’t you afraid for your life, everybody needs to know,” he asserted.

She looked down at the hand on her shoulder, ire rising. Turning to face Scott, “You feed on human misery and depravity, a parasite peddling suffering,” she accused, tone very dangerous.

“If it bleeds it leads and sex sells, just doing my job,” he replied nonchalantly, wide grin on his eager face.

“Leave, or you will learn of suffering first hand,” she commanded.

Scoopy laughed, “Barn, tell me you’re getting all this on film,” he said. “Do your worst baby girl,” he encouraged, egging her on.

Anna raised her hands, “Enough,” she said, spreading her arms wide, releasing power.

Barney took a step backward, lowering the camera as it became impossibly heavy. ”What the?” he asked, the world around him expanding.

Scott coughed and moved back. Anna grinned. Stepping forward, she grabbed him by his face, his body pulling up as his clothes fell away. Soon there were two piles of empty clothes. She held Scoopy in her hand while she knelt down to collect Barney. Looking at the two tiny men in her clutches, she flicked a glance at the van.

“What’s going on?” Scott asked, eyes big and wide.

She ignored his question, she grinned and stood upright, striding up the drive toward her house.

“Help!” screamed Scott, voice small and ineffective as he struggled futilely in her grasp.

Entering the house, she walked into the kitchen, setting both men atop the large butcher’s block inset in the island in the center of the kitchen, the surface lined with innumerable slices and cuts in the slightly off colored stained wood.

Scott and Barney exchanged panicked looks, both men terrified and trying to make some sense of the ordeal they were currently embroiled in.

Anna turned and opened a kitchen drawer, pulling out a large meat clever. Testing its edge, she turned back to the island.

“Oh my god!” exclaimed Scott seeing the massive knife.

“No, no, no,” muttered Barney backing away.

Anna brought the blade down and buried it in the end grain of the block, both men dove out of the way, though the blade was not close to either of them. She grinned down, lips curving into a smile.

“You crazy!” shrieked Scott, jumping back to his feet.

“Oh man,” mumbled Barney, shaking his head as he glanced over at the other man before lifting his head to look at the lovely girl towering over him.

Anna leaned forward, a hand to either side of the thick wooden block. “Perhaps I should drop you both into the toaster?” she suggested casually.

Scott raised his hands, “I don’t know what’s happening, please,” he said. Barney dropped to his knees and started to cry.

“Or the freezer, you would both probably freeze solid in less than an hour,” she speculated.

“Anna, I am so sorry,” he offered, hoping contrition would soften her disposition.

She looked back toward the sink, “The garbage disposal?” She shook her head. “There are just so many choices when you’re that small.”

Scott shook his head vigorously from side to side. “Come on,” he petitioned, tone plaintive.

Anna nodded slowly, wicked smile creeping over her beautiful face. “I know just the thing, microwave.”

Barney didn’t move, face in his hands, but Scott turned to run, not taking two steps before she clapped her hands and both men surrendered to sleep.

 

Scoopy awoke screaming aloud, seated in the driver’s seat of the news van, heart pounding in his chest, eyes wide and fearful. Patting himself on the face then chest, he did a quick inventory of himself. He was fully clothed and otherwise unharmed. Whipping his head around, he saw Barney in the back, lying with his head on the editing table, all the monitor screens blank, their footage erased. He shook his head. What the hell had just happened? Everything had been so incredibly vivid. Was it a dream? Must have been, he chuckled nervously, some fucked up dream for sure, then he caught sight of her, standing on her front porch, arms folded under her breasts, staring at him intently, no expression on her face. He swallowed had, it had been no dream, it was a warning and this was his second chance, his only chance, there would be no other. Fumbling with the keys, he slid the right one into the ignition and started the van, putting it into gear and stepped on the accelerator, tires spinning on the pavement as he peeled away.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please feel free to provide feedback comment, or review, it is always very much appreciated, thanks for reading!