- Text Size +
I dreamt I was skin diving. Well, more like snorkeling, to be exact. As in tube snorkel;, circular face mask; green swim fins; and a pair of black swim trunks. The water was every clear. And the only thing I could see on the relatively shallow bottom was sand. Yards and yards of white sand!

That is, till I spotted it. Naxia tumida; a seaweed-decorator crab!

It was scuttling along towards the first patch of green I had yet seen. A patch of dwarf eelgrass, to be exact. I scissor-kicked my legs, once or twice, to try and follow after it at matching speed. But, of course, this being a dream it scuttled faster than I could swim! Consequently, by the time I did catch up to it, it had already harvested itself several strands of the stuff and adhered them to its carapace. Whereupon, it began making its way shoreward. That, in turn, led to my second discovery.

There was a tiny, green specimen of seahorse clinging to one of the eelgrass strands. But, a specimen more unusual than I had ever seen before. Because, while its head was definitely equine in shape, its body was more like that of a small snake!

[ "Why do those words sound so familiar?" I asked myself in the dream.]

That was when I grabbed the seahorse in my right hand. Following which, I popped back up to the surface and started churning my way back to where the others were sunbathing.

"Hey! Hey, girls! You'll never guess what I...?"

I stopped shouting in mid-sentence because of what I saw. Celeste Saucier was lying down on a small beach chair, wearing a red bikini. On an identical chair, next to her, was Shawna Kozlowski wearing a blue bikini. And to my right? Kalama Nakafusa, in a yellow bikini.

The tableau was almost patriotic.

Unfortunately, for me, it also made me forget what I was clutching in my right hand. Because, the next thing I knew, there was burning sensation coming from my palm! So, naturally, I re-opened my hand in sheer reflex. Thereby causing me to drop the seahorse back into the water.

"Shit!!!" I swore through gritted teeth: "There must have been some stinging limu or green fire coral in that eelgrass."

Kalama had warned us about those two occupational hazards faced by wading first-time visitors to Hawaii. The former being the algal equivalent of poison ivy. And the latter being a distant relative of the cnidarian we had come here to find.

"Shame on you, Ken!" I heard a trio of voices say in perfect unison: "You read about the scorpion-tailed seahorse for yourself. So, you've only yourself to blame for what happens, next."

I looked up and saw the three bikini-clad goddesses who had made me so speechless a minute earlier. But, now, they were not only standing up facing me. They were also getting taller...and taller...and Taller...and TALLER!

It was incredible. They had each become one hundred foot-tall giantesses! I literally had to crane my head backward, like the open hatch on a submarine, just to see their beaming faces. Yet, once again, it was as if they could hear my softest whisper...or read my mind.

"We've haven't grown giant-size, Ken," they chorused: "You shrank!"

Whereupon, Celeste reached down, and picked me up, with _her_ right hand. Cutting off all visibility to my eyes as she folded me up behind her fingers.

tbc