- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thomas dies...

Thomas saw from within the pink coated walls of the blender Grace's hand approach and press the button to blend the smoothie. He was sent flying into the wall by a tidal wave of gooey mix that continually splashed up against him over and over again. The grinding noise of the blender working was loud even to a normal person, but Thomas swore he was going deaf. But it didn't end. There was still five more seconds left for blending. Thomas felt himself being pulled down towards the blade at the bottom. He felt himself be submerged into the gooey mix that now resembled a full-on smoothie. And he got closer to the blade. And closer. Until finally, he was spit out once more, barely missing the blade, and tossed upwards and against the side of the blender as the time got to zero, and the machine stopped. 

Grace took the blender from the machine, got a cup ready, and poured the smoothie into the cup, before putting a lid on it, and handing it to Rose. After the world stopped for Thomas, he found himself still plastered to the wall of the blender along with a lot of other smoothie that got stuck. His world was titled on its side as Grace poured the smoothie into the cup, but Thomas found himself not sliding as far as the rest, rather being still stuck to the wall, until the cup was filled, and his world returned right side up. The cup disappeared and Thomas was left stuck inside the blender, as Grace picked it up, and placed it in the sink beneath the faucet.

Thomas was gone. He had shut himself down. What was the point anymore? Whether or not that drink was for Rose didn't matter, she was gone at this point, and he was still just a pathetic little crumb at the mercy of his coworkers. She had literally touched him, and didn't even know he was there. People have looked directly at him, and still he went unseen. There was no hope for him, Thomas was never going to be found. He was never going to get big again. He was going to be stuck like this, for the rest of his life, which at this rate, was going to be always, since he just wouldn't die. So he shut himself down. Why did it matter? Wherever he went now, it was all the same. There was no Rose. He would never see his family again. He was no longer a human, no longer alive. He was simply a crumb, that was going to get washed away into the drain, as Grace turned the faucet on and started to fill the blender with water.

Thomas was aware that the blender was filling, but he didn't nothing about it. He simply stared straight and let it happen. The water soon lifted him from the side of the blender, and his motionless let him float upon the surface. He absentmindedly stared up at the face of Grace looking down upon him as the true worthless speck of existence that he was. To himself, he silently said goodbye, not to her, but to the world, as she tipped the blender over and all of its contents, Thomas included, spilled into the sink, and proceeded downwards into the drain.

Thomas was plunged into darkness as he and the water slid down the bending drain pipe towards the end. Thomas still made no motion, no reaction, nothing. He was only playing his part. Thomas hit the sides of the pipe on occasion, but no longer winched in pain. He wasn't sure if it was because he could now longer feel pain, or because he no longer care about it, but, was there really a difference? A small amount of light was entering towards the end, much too soon to be the sewer already, but Thomas made no reaction. He instead went flying towards the light, and zoomed out of the end of the pipe, and onto the lower part of the counter where the registers are located. 

As Thomas fully well knew, but had completely forgotten about when his mind shut down, the drain in the sink doesn't lead directly to anything, except for another drain located beneath the registers, where the cashiers would store spare things like lids and cups. Normally, the liquid from the sink would easily land in the wide gap for the other drain, but Thomas was not liquid, and thus had a different mass and went flying differently then his liquid friend, and that was how he found himself laying face down on the counter as he continued to slide from his wet body. And he slid, and slid, until he fell back upon the floor, back where this entire ordeal started. Back to the beginning. But he didn't grow this time, he simply stayed the size of a crumb. That was his life now. Thomas made no motion whatsoever as Marie entered the bakery to get something from their they needed at the line. He made no reaction as she stepped down upon him just as she did before. And he did absolutely nothing as he was once again squished into the treads of her shoe, and brought along for the trip she was making once more. This was his life, and he accepted it.

For another thirty minutes, Thomas simply existed within the treads of Marie's shoe. He was again buried in days old food particles wedged within her treads, and was constantly being coated and covered with more crud as she walked along the line preparing food. Multiple times Thomas had pieces of food, and other gross objects smashed against his body, along with the constant movement of Marie, but Thomas did nothing. He was home now, this was his home. What better place for a lowly crumb like himself than the nice, warm confines of someone's shoe tread. It was perfect for him, and he was happy, he told himself. He didn't have to worry about problems like school, or work, or taxes, or family issues, or anything. He didn't have to worry about anything. He simply existed beneath her shoe as she went about her life. She didn't even know about him, and that was how he wanted it. 

After thirty minutes had passed, Marie was getting off work. She went to the back to get her things, and change her shoes, as she only wore the ones she had on now when working, and left the work shoes in her locker while she wasn't here. She would leave them in there all weekend now since she was off until Monday. Marie took her old shoes off and left them on the ground while she put her normal shoes on. She then lifted her work shoes up. Thomas felt his world lifting, but not the same kind of lifting as before. He didn't care. He just went with it. His world was titled on its side and looking forward, he saw another shoe sole facing him. He was mildly confused, but did nothing about it. Even if he wanted to, he wouldn't have had time as he was forcefully dragged into the sole of the other shoe, the two soles colliding with a large smack, slightly loosening Thomas from within the filth he was trapped in. This happened a few more times until finally Thomas was shot out from within the tread and launched elsewhere, as Marie finished getting any loose crud out of her shoe, and placed them in her locker as she went home. 

Thomas was flying through the air. He was a tad upset that he was so violently removed from his home, but he didn't care. He would find a new home, a better home, and continue to live his meaningless life as a crumb. Thomas finally landed inside a tiny glob of red jelly atop a large yellow plate. If he even bothered to move, he would have found he was stuck. Thomas was titled forward as the plate he was on was being loaded onto a rack. He was now facing towards Ruth the dishwasher while he still did nothing. Thomas simply let the world happen as the plates were pushed into a cube area, and the giant metal door surrounding him closed, plunging him into darkness and starting the torrent of water around him. 

The dishwasher did it's job was the jelly glob and Thomas were easily removed from the plate and sent spiraling down into the pit of dishwater below. They easily sank and went into the drainage pit, before getting stopped by a giant grate. The jelly and Thomas were stuck as all the water drained past them before filling up again. Thomas had found a new home, and he had plenty of friends as well, as all sorts of discarded bits of food were stuck to the grate as well. Some people would say it was completely disgusting, but to Thomas, it was his home and it was fine. 

For a couple hours Thomas stayed there, stuck to the grating as countless gallons of water rushed past him, plastering him more to the grate, and more bits of food kept getting stuck as well to keep him company. This was a good home, he thought. Better than a shoe tread, that was for sure. He had friends now. That was until his home was lifted from within the pit of water, and Thomas now found himself hovering over a gigantic trash can. A giant metal object came scraping by, knocking half of his friends into the depths of the garbage below, making Thomas sad. But he soon joined them as the object came back and now scraped the rest of the food bits and Thomas himself into the gaping maw of the trash can below. 

For hours Thomas laid in the garbage with his buddies as more and more half-eaten food was tossed in upon him, burying him further in the mess. Thomas couldn't, nor did he want to, do anything as the bag of trash was lifted out of the can, and started being tied. He was simply along for the ride as it was tossed outside much mater in the day, in preparation for being tossed in the dumpster. Thomas only felt the trip that was him being dragged, and lifted, and tossed into lasting darkness along with six or seven other bags of garbage into the dumpster, and it was closed off, sealing Thomas' fate for the rest of his life. But he had already accepted that.

In the days that passed, Thomas' parents and Rose began to wonder what had happened to him. It was as if he had simply vanished. They put out a missing persons report, but he would never be found. They questioned how they could lose a normal human being, but they weren't looking for a human being. They were looking for an insignificant crumb, and they would never find it. If they had gone to check out the dumpster outside Thomas' work, they would probably never find him, as the bag he was in was now buried under dozens of bags of garbage, awaiting the dump truck to come and take them to the dump. 

Thomas never showed up to work, confusing his coworkers, as he was always there. They were left in the dark about what happened, assuming something terrible had happened to them, completely unaware of the accuracy of their assumption, and completely unaware of the part they all played leading to his demise. If they had known they might have felt guilty about it, even sadder knowing what they had done to him. But they didn't, and they went about the lives they still had, unlike their missing coworker.

Thomas was sitting inside the trash bag with his so-called friends that were really bits of days old food that had started to rot and smell terrible. But Thomas would never insult his friends. He had forgotten about the girl named Rose, his parents, his coworkers, his friends. That wasn't his life anymore. He got excited when the dump truck arrived and turned his entire world upside down, dropping the bag he was in down towards the belly of the beast. And it drove away, towards the dump, before dropping its load off into a landfill, where Thomas would spend the rest of his life. 

Forever. 

Chapter End Notes:

The End.