- Text Size +
* * * * *

ISLA UTGARD, ARGENTINA
9 MARCH, 1943
(1:00 A.M./UTC-3)

"Say again, Nightjar?" requested the British naval intelligence officer aboard the HMS REDOUBTABLE II.

"Repeat," said Bob Phillips: "The Rats' Nest is filled with giant-sized women! Each one approximately fifteen meters tall!! Recommend Operation: Beanstalk be scrubbed in favor of saturation bombing from the air. Over."

"Negative, Nightjar. Repeat: negative! Argentina is still officially neutral. It is therefore imperative that all explosions look like the result of ground-level sabotage by indigenous peoples. Over!"

Phillips clenched right fist shook in frustration.

"Roger that, Rookery," he snarled through gritted teeth: "Any idea on when the Eagle Owls will get here? Over."

"They should be arriving from the Aerie at this same time, tomorrow night. So, it is highly desirous that you get as much recon in as you can before then. This is Rookery; over and out."

Phillips slammed the receiver back down on the radio telephone.

"So, that Gurkha commando team won't be here until oh-one hundred hours tomorrow morning, then?" Coppersmith asked, just to make sure he had heard correctly.

Phillips sighed and nodded, before adding:

"So, here's what we'll do. I'll circle this compound clockwise. You go counter-clockwise. And, we'll meet back here to compare notes. Sound like a plan, Alfie?"

"Aye-aye, skipper."

Whereupon, they attached their silencers to the mouths of each gun barrel before commencing their reconnoiter. Little realizing that Vasco Gonsalves was already engaged in something similar!

It was not difficult following the progress of the giantesses who had captured Kaikala. The latter was putting up quite a fight, both physically and vocally. Indeed, the blonde giantesses had to stop, every so often, to readjust their grips on the naked Easter Islander! Plus, the path that they followed was a well-worn one. And, their normal-sized companions (bringing up the rear, as they were) had to be allowed to catch up.

The Portuguese expatriate had to lag behind, however, when the party reached the main gate of the compound. He watched as they entered through it, taking note of the twenty-five foot-tall fence posts. And, the web-like strands of electrified barbed wire that stretched between them.

As he went northward along that fence, he saw that there was only one spot where there was only a plain wooden wall. It was a barn-like building made of wood that had become charcoal-gray with age and weathering. In fact, from the looks of its left rear corner, a couple of planks had become so softened by wood rot that he might be able to saw through them!

So, he got out the nail file facet of his Swiss army knife and went to work.

It soon became apparent that the sawing would not be as easy as he had initially thought. But, he stuck to it, regardless. Consequently, inside an hour, he had a good-sized square he would be able to crawl on his belly through. The moment he did so, however, something happened he could never have anticipated.

He bumped into the rear end of a rather big specimen of whatever livestock was being kept in this barn. And that specimen was so startled, it immediately cried out in a loud enough manner to awaken the rest of the livestock!

Half-deafened by the cacophony, Gonsalves headed for what looked like the front door, and barged it open with his right shoulder. But, if he had been expecting it to crash to the left or the right, he must have been doubly dumbfounded to see it plunge downward at a ninety-degree angle!

Ergo, he somersaulted out of the barn in a most undignified fashion. Yet, even so, he was able to regain his senses quickly enough that he immediately thought to hide himself beneath the strangely-wide ramp. Which turned out to be a wise move, indeed, as some of the livestock came flying out of the barn right behind him.

Literally flying.

"QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!"

Gonsalves found himself gazing, slack-jawed, at a group of white Pekin ducks...that were each twice the size of an African ostrich.

tbc