- Text Size +

The air was filled with that special stuff that only a Christmas morning can deliver. Snow fell lightly outside, covering the pine trees in a coating of fluff. Happy children played outside, some building snowmen, some skiing.

            Though they didn’t have a tree, Tyler and his friends were busy exchanging gifts. Chloe had started, handing Tyler a small box rapped with paper decorated with tiny polar bears.

            “What is it?” Tyler had asked, shaking the box ever so slightly.

            “Just open it,” the girl answered. He did so, ripping the rapping off, revealing the How to Give a Proper Foot Rub book hidden within.

            “Thanks,” Tyler said with a smile. “I’m sure it will come in handy.”

            “Damn right,” Chloe answered with a grin.

            “Open mine next,” Mia said, thrusting another present at her friend. It turned out to be deodorant. With one eyebrow lifted quizzically Tyler asked, “Is this a hint?”

            “No,” Mia answered instantly. “I just thought it would be good for all those smelly situations.”

            Tyler shrugged. “Yeah, I could see that. Thanks.”

            “Well I got you something else too.” Another gift was passed his way, this one slightly bigger. The boy beamed when he saw it was a new pair of wide receiver gloves.

            “Now this is awesome!” he had said. The rest of the gift giving session went smoothly, presents being handed out to each. Some were more nicely decorated than others, Katie’s in particular, but each was thoughtful and heartfelt.

            Chloe ended up giving him another, secret peasant. A jersey from his favorite player, Calvin Johnson jr. Needless to say, Tyler was ecstatic. Next Tyler gave the girl’s their gifts. He gave Mia a T-shirt of her favorite band, which, surprisingly, had been hard to find given that they weren’t very popular. It was a miracle he even found it in her size. For Chloe he had bought a fifty-dollar gift card that had the added benefit of giving whoever used it an additional fifty per-cent off of any item.

            Finally it was only Katie and Tyler who had yet to exchange. “Here,” the girl said, bringing out her gift from behind her back. He graciously took it, shaking it delicately. “Don’t get too excited, it isn’t anything that great.”

            “Whatever it is, I’m sure I’ll love it,” he answered with a reassuring smile. He tore off the paper, then opened the brown box below to reveal a beautifully crafted silver watch.

            “Do you like it?”

            “Its amazing,” Tyler said as he took it out, holding it up to the light.

            “Oh, but you haven’t heard the best part.” Tyler raised his eyebrow again. “It’s a minimizer.”

            “No,” Tyler said after a gasp. “Really?”

            A nod. “So now you can use it whenever you want, even if I’m not around.”

            “Thank you Katie,” he said. “Really, its amazing.”

            The girl was blushing now. “Whatever. Now what’d you get me?” she asked, bursting with excitement. Tyler happily handed over his gifts.

            Katie dug into them, first going for the largest of the three boxes. “Oh, nice!” she exclaimed once she revealed the new pair of running shoes. “These are awesome.”

            “Yeah, I thought you’d like it.”

            “Nice color,” Chloe commented absentmindedly, focusing more on her gifts.

            “Thank you,” Katie said as she dug into the second, revealing a pair of insoles. She looked up at Tyler suspiciously. “So that it’s a bit less suffocating?”

            “Yep,” he answered honestly.

            “You’re so cute.” Finally she went for the last, and smallest. “Oh,” she said when she came upon a small black box. She guessed from the shape that it was some form of jewelry. “Tyler, you didn’t need to.” He shrugged, motioning for her to open it. She gasped when she saw the heart shaped pendant, their initials, T and K, engraved upon it. “It beautiful,” she said warmly.

            “One more thing.” Tyler reached behind him, bringing out a hand written note. He gave it to Katie, who immediately started reading it. “It’s a description of all my favorite times I spent shrunken with you.”

            “Aw,” Katie said, simply melting. “Your way to nice. Come here.” She threw her arms around him, kissing him over and over again. “Honestly, your by far the best boyfriend a girl could ask for.”

            He shrugged. “I try.”