- Text Size +

Rin strolled through the open doors of Sugoi Neko. Her black ears were tipped by golden earrings of foreign design. She passed a couple kissing softly, and headed straight for her usual table. As she found her seat, Rin slumped down into it.

'Long day eh, Rin? Good thing you came, I was worried that tonight was going to as boring as yesterday.'

Rin shrugged. Okira was always so damned peppy. How the woman managed to find time to stay fit, drink all night, work all day, and keep her energy up, she would never know. Still, the greeting made her feel a bit better, if anything.

'Hah! Don't look so nonchalant there Rin. You know its true, I only come here to watch you... you know, do your thing.'

Rin's 'thing' was her art. Not that everyone agreed. She provided entertainment at the club several nights a week. The vast majority of patrons were female, but some guys always showed. Neko was a woman's passion and a man's fascination. Yet things were a bit different here. Okira loved to watch Rin at work. She was one of the best after all.

'What's it gonna be this time, Rin-san? Slurp him down like a noodle? Gonna toy with him this time? I loved that last one with the ball! Cmon! You gotta tell...'

Rin reached out her left hand, covering Okira's mouth. The girl just never seemed to stop talking. Still, she was a friend. Sighing again, she brought her ringed fingers from the girl's mouth to her own, and shushed. Pausing for dramatic effect, she righted her ears. They had tilted slightly when her hand lashed out.

'I've got something special tonight Okira. But promise me you'll keep your mouth shut about it. I can't give you the details just yet though. You'll have to watch like everybody else.'

'Ooh! Ooh! Rin-san! I'm so excited.'

Okira raised her hands to her cheeks. She was fond of acting overly cutesy. It was popular among girls, even those well into their thirties. The guys always seemed to find it endearing, and so they continued. Rin wasn't a fan, but if her act called for it, she didn't mind dialing up the charm. She was, after all, an entertainer.

'Tell you what. I'll let you pick him out.'

'Really? REALLY?'

The girl's grin was so wide, Rin thought it would permanently stretch her cheeks. Her iris was a bright yellow, the pupils a widened slit. Decorative contact lenses only reaffirmed her regular status at Neko. Okira shivered; she was clearly excited, and Rin didn't blame her. Choosing her partner was usually at random, but sometimes she delegated the privilege to a friend. Okira's chair shot out from behind her. The girl stood up tall, swung back her drink, and saluted.

'I'm on it! I won't let you down Rin-San!'

Okira stalked away, eyes focused over-intently on every guy she passed. She looked like some sort of cartoon inspector. Rin laughed quietly to herself. Okira was like a little sister, in fact, they were related by some cousin of a cousin. She came to Sugoi Neko most every night, and never missed one of Rin's performances. A devoted fan, and a good friend.

Rin eyed the stage. A warm-up band of three teen girls hopped around on stage, rendering some edition of a high-pitched pop song. The lead singer was the shortest of the trio, and watching her prancing around with the microphone stand set down to its lowest possible height was entertaining. She wasn't really focused on the music, though. Rin was preparing herself for her own act. She loved to try to top herself. All too quickly, Okira came bouncing back like a kitten on hind legs. She gave Rin a wide smile.

'I know who I want to pick!' she announced, far too loud. Other patrons turned, clearly overhearing the comment. People had begun to pack into Sugoi Neko and most of the tables were filled with cat-girls. Maintaining character was a must, and those women who didn't were promptly asked to leave. A young woman licked her own forehand while craning her neck to listen. Two more had turned, tails splayed out behind their chairs and dangling to the floors. Rin had a popular show, and most of them would kill to have a hint of her intended performance, or perhaps more importantly, her intended assistant.

'Lower your voice Okira.' Rin replied. 'You know how important my secrecy is.'

'Ohhhhh, right. Okay, okay. So listen,' Okira looked both ways before leaning in close to Rin's ears. She spoke to the cat ears, but they reflected sound well enough down to her real ones.

'I think you should try the tall guy, in the white jacket. Nine o'clock.'

Rin let her eyes drift that way. He was standing by the bar, laughing with two girls, both fawning over him and lightly scratching his arms and shoulders. Showing affection here was incredibly feline, with women often rubbing their necks or hair against an attractive man. It was well deserved. Any man in attendance at the Neko this hour was courageous indeed.

'Why him?' Rin replied. She knew the answer to her own question, but it was fun to watch Okira squirm. The girl blushed a deep violet. The last time she was allowed to pick, she had chosen a young man who was kissing an attractive woman nearby. Back then, Okira had said it was because she liked his eyes, but Rin had already seen him reject her advances earlier that evening. This time it was likely no different.

'Hmm, I just think his jacket is ugly. Who wears white at this time of year?' she said, hiding her guilt by burying her chin into her dress. Rin gave her a stern look of disapproval, but then smiled knowingly. Okira's sullen expression faded as she returned a relieved glance.

'He's perfect.' offered Rin. The stage lights dimmed, and with it, the intensity of the room waned momentarily. A woman's voice came on the microphone, projected through speakers throughout the room.

'Welcome every-nyaa!' she cooed. 'We at Sugoi Neko are proud to present, a feline who needs no introduction...'

A single spotlight flickered to life, illuminating Rin in her chair. It was bright... why was it always so bright?

'Give a warm welcome to Rin!'

Rin pushed out her chair and rose, golden earrings reflecting the light and illuminating the ground beneath her. She began to look around, turning her head back and forth slowly, knowingly. Her eyes seamlessly danced between random males around the room. Each time they did, she focused herself intently, biting her lips or licking them voraciously. The surrounding women meowed and oohed. A young man in a purple tee-shirt audibly gulped as her gaze met his. She smirked and moved on once more. She was a panther, stalking easy prey, and they cowered. Approaching a throng of girls, she waved them aside with her hand and they parted. Just behind them, a man stood, eyes widening with her every graceful step. His deep black hair was a stark contrast to his skin, outlined by a high collared blue shirt. Rin moved in close and bore her teeth. Her face slid close to his, and she let her tongue come forward to touch his cheek. Standing at an intimate distance, they were both caught by the spotlight, her wet tongue coated in glistening salivation for all too see. She left a stripe on his face, licking upwards in a painfully slow stroke, before returning it to her lips. She pondered musically, and the onlookers gasped. The room fell quiet, and so she too went silent. The anticipation of the crowd built with every heartbeat. No sound filled the air, the entire room holding a single breath. He looked pale now, an unmatched fear overcoming the lost soul. But it wasn't his time. With a swift turn of her head, she looked past the man's shoulder and pointed. Her finger traced a perfect path to her true prey, standing tall in his white jacket. The girl next to him lost her grip on a cocktail, the glass shattering a spilling a red bubbling liquid and a cherry that rolled to his feet.

'I'll take him.' Rin announced, and the room erupted in cheers.