- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Woo, two stories in a week. This isn't finished though, quite a way from it. Hope you enjoy


 

Every summer the same story. I would stay inside, play video games, watch TV, browse the internet, while my twin sister would be out there having a whale of a time with her friends. I hated how easy she could make friends, and how difficult I found it. We were both 17 now, and we were drifting apart wildly. Our appearance is where our similarities stopped. I was introverted, distant and cynical, whereas Summer was outgoing, friendly and fresh.' Summer seemed to suit Summer', my dad would always say. I didn't like to admit it, but it was true, she really came into her own in Summer. School was out, and she just wanted to enjoy herself. Making the most of the heat she'd always wear dresses or skirts around the place and always be accompanied by a pair of flip flops. Those damn flip flops.

A few years ago I started to develop something of a foot fetish. What didn't help was my sister always walking around barefoot or in those flip flops. I got caught sniffing one of her slippers last year and my dad went ballistic. It was probably the stupidest decision I ever made because now my Dad watches me like a hawk and Summer keeps all her shoes in her room. Plus it kind of opened a floodgate, I longed to have another whiff of a shoe. Summer got creeped out too, I tried to explain the only reason it was her shoes was because they were there, but she wouldn't have it. I even tried explaining that we were basically clones so in essence it was masturbation, but that just made shit worse.

I was up in my room on my computer, browsing just to kill time when an article on some tech website caught my eye. The headline read 'Consciousness transference company seeks test subjects'. Admittedly not very catchy, I clicked on it to see what it was all about. The article talked about how this company had managed to successfully transfer a human mind into an inanimate object. Now they wanted test subjects to carry on their next phase. The opportunity this article was presenting was unbelievable, to actually become an inanimate object was something I had always thought about, but always dismissed as impossible, now this company was saying they could do it. I scrolled further down the article. It said the company was looking for volunteers to test some implants for them. To apply you had to go to one of their centres. Quick as a flash I googled the company and searched for where they were based. I was in luck! They had a facility in Brandon, not too far from where I lived. An hour's bus journey away. I resolved that I'd go tomorrow. That night I could hardly sleep, this was the most excited I'd been in years. not just because a potential fantasy could come true, but because this would potentially be the first interesting thing to happen to me in my life.

I got up bright and early the next day and got ready, I raced downstairs had breakfast quickly and headed for the door. I was stopped by Summer.

"Where are you going?" She asked quizzically.

"Out." I replied simply.

"Since when do you go out?"

"I might find myself going out a lot more. I feel a change coming" I replied, slightly embarrassed at my corny attempt at a joke. I left Summer standing there looking confused and headed for the bus stop. After an uneventful journey, I arrived at the facility. The words 'Triumvirate Sciences' Stood tall across the top of the door. A smile broke out on my usually stony face as I entered the building into a rather disappointing lobby. A simple grey room about thirty feet long, with a few battered looking couches either side of the room. At the end of the room was a cheap, plastic-looking desk, a semi-smartly dressed man sat behind it. I was disappointed, but quickly rationalised that they're a young company, hardly likely to have a facility like Apple.

As I approached the desk, the man stood up. He looked around college age, probably a temp, he was dressed simply in a mauve shirt and navy slacks.

"You here for the trial?" The man said in a disinterested tone. He clearly didn't want to be here.

"Yeah, am I late?" I asked, conscious of the time. It was nearing lunchtime.

"You're the first, dude" He handed me a clipboard with a form attached "Fill this out." Handing me a pen, he gestured to one of the sofas at the side of the room. I scanned the form, it looked to be a standard health and safety thing, wanting to know my contact details. I turned it overleaf and it became more interesting. It asked what I was here for and what I hoped to get out of the trial. I wasn't sure if I should be honest. I decided to give bogus contact details and be honest on the other side. After all, the more clear I was with what i wanted out of this, the more likely this could work.

I wrote in that I had always been fascinated with the idea of becoming an object, to be nothing but a thing. I also mentioned that I had a special interest in becoming clothing, in particular a shoe. I neglected to mention I had a very particular shoe in mind. Summer's flip flop. She was always wearing them over the summer, I wanted more than anything to experience being under her feet. To be nothing to her but a thing she owned. That may have been overkill. I finished the form and returned to the desk. The temp looked up at me, barely concealing his boredom.

"Take it through there" He gestured to the door behind him "third door on the right" He pressed a button under the desk and buzzed me through. I followed his instruction and left the dull lobby into a bright corridor. I knocked on the door the temp had guided me to, and a voice inside told me to enter. I walked into a small room full of electrical equipment, with two scientists in white coats turning to welcome me. The voice must have come from the older bearded man, his face looking like it formed a natural smile. His skin was pale and his eyes beamed with wisdom, framed by thick, circular glasses. Next to him was a thirty-something black woman with long curly hair tied in a ponytail. She seemed more stern and serious. The man poke again,

"Ah, you must be here for the trial. Let me introduce myself; I am Dr Geoff Arnold and this is Dr Simone McQuilty" He offered his hand.

"Wi- er Corey Watson" I said taking his hand and remembering the fake name I put on the form, just in time. I offered my hand to Dr Simone, but she didn't respond.

"Let me see your form" She said, curtly. She was all business, and there was something I liked about that. I handed it to her and she skimmed through it, raising an eyebrow as she read my responses to the last few questions. She handed to form to Dr Arnold. "He'll do"

"Excellent, Corey if you'll take a seat" Dr Arnold said, smiling. He explained to me what the deal was; I would have a full body scan and that information would be fed into an implant that would be inserted into my arm. The only problem was that for the scan I would need to be in the nude. I looked nervously at Dr McQuilty, which Dr Arnold seemed to find funny. "Relax son, Simone is a qualified doctor with over ten years experience. You have nothing she hasn't seen before"

I stripped off and stepped into the body scanner. The noise it made was unholy and it felt a tingling sensation as a blue light moved up and down my body. Stepping out and back into my clothes, Dr Arnold was at a computer looking at the data. He unplugged something from the computer, it was a small black peanut shaped object, that had a tiny port for a USB.

"Is that the implant?" I asked, knowing the answer already

"Yep, and now we're going to insert it." He gestured Dr McQuilty to join him. She was holding a gun-like object in her hand that she loaded with the implant.

"Hold out your arm" She commanded, I obeyed. As she pulled the trigger I felt a great sting, but not much greater than getting a tetanus shot.

"Am I done?" I wondered aloud.

"Not long now" Dr Arnold said "Just need to activate it" He reached over to a control panel and inputted a code. upon pressing a large green button I felt a great shock all over my body bringing me to my knees. Dr Arnold walked over and helped me up "Not to worry my boy. Worst part's over"

He carried me over to a seat and pulled out a small remote like object out of his pocket. He explained that this would be the remote that controlled the implant. On it was a simple interface containing just two buttons, a blue triangular button at the top and a larger red button below it. On the side was a dial with many numbers on it.

"The blue button activates the scanner, a smaller version of what you were in earlier. You use this to scan the target object you wish to become. When an object is successfully scanned, a green LED light will display. This will display as long as an object is stored in its memory bank. Pressing the blue button again will erase the object. The red button activates the implant. If it's pressed with no object scanned, you'll get a mild shock, so avoid that. When an object is scanned it will transform your body into an exact replica of what you scanned. Do you understand?" He said, checking if I was keeping up. I was hanging on his every word "This dial indicates the length of the transformation, it is marked in hours. If you change while holding the remote, the implant will recognise it and it will absorb into you when you transform. It will return once the transformation is over. If you are not holding it when the red button is pressed, it will remain outside your transformed state. Once transformed, you will have motor control, but it will be limited depending on what form you take."

"Be sure to return in three days Mr Watson" Dr McQuilty said all of a sudden, making me jump in surprise. I had been so engrossed in what Dr Arnold was telling me, I forgot she was there "We will be wanting the data from the implant"

I nodded to confirm my understanding. Dr Arnold rose and handed me the remote.

"Be careful with it, and from all of us at Triumvirate sciences; enjoy yourself" He said with a coy wink. I took the remote and left the building. I was in ecstasy, in my hand I was holding the key to my dreams! That is if it worked. I was unsure if I would return, after all I did give them fake info, but I imagined what else they might be able to accomplish with that data if they could do this.

On the bus back home, I studied the remote carefully. The dial went up in increments; 1, 2, 4, 8, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 96, 168 and a blank spot. I could be Summer's shoe for an hour or up to a week. This was so exciting. As I arrived back home, I slipped the remote into my pocket, went up to my room and made a plan of action. I had over heard from her ridiculously loud phone conversation that Summer was going to the mall tomorrow. Summer could spend a whole day at the mall, which was some feat given most of the stores were just pawnbrokers. The trick was working out how to get one of her flip flops, so I could scan it and working out when it would be safe to change back. I figured I'd set it to 18 hours, so I could change into them in the morning and change back in the late night, when she'd be asleep. I spent that night dreaming of what it would be like being just a shoe.

I awoke extra early the next day and waited by the door for the sound of Summer going into the bathroom for a shower. This was my opportunity, I had just ten minutes. I knew I would have to be naked for this, as Dr Arnold told me that my clothes wouldn't change with me. Last thing I needed was for Summer to find a bunch of my clothes lying around her room. It was about seven thirty in the morning, so I hoped I would remain unseen as I climbed out my window and shimmied along the edge of my house to Summer's open window. She always had it open when it was warm out, and it was another scorcher today. I climbed into her room, glancing at her wall clock, I noted I had just six minutes left. I quickly spotted my target and picked one of the flip flops up.

Pressing the blue button on the remote emitted a whirring noise, like that of an electric toothbrush, which made me even more paranoid. I moved the shoe around in my hand trying to get every part of it scanned as my time was running out. Finally the green light came on, just as I heard the shower turn off. I quickly set the dial to '18' and tossed the flip flop under the bed. I didn't need Summer finding two left shoes. I inhaled deeply and pressed the red button. A strange feeling ran through my entire body. I started shrinking rapidly and my body twisting to its new shape. My arms became the straps and my face became the sole of the shoe, the rest of my body just seemed to crumple. Finally the sensation stopped and I, finally, was just a shoe. Then the door opened...