- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Based on a caption I did over at bra bound, this is just a quick little story to keep me going.

I was beginning to get concerned about the security situation at the dorm. The situation was that security was non-existent. The dorm building was old, about seventy-five years or so and thus had a lot of issues. The key one for us was that the door frames just weren't up for the job. Lots of locks just weren't working anymore, even with one on, a good shove would see the door open anyway. The university promised to sort this in the summer, but that was four months away and we were having a succession of thefts. Nothing major, so as not to get campus security too interested, but little things. I've had CDs and DVDs stolen out of my room, Tony, a guy who lives down the hall from me had his speakers taken, but what they took from Mei, the girl next to me puzzled me. They took some of her shoes, but only one from each pair that she had. To me this was the most bizarre thing that had happened. Why take only one shoe? It's useless isn't it?

If there's one thing I'm glad that the thefts brought us, is how close it has made Mei, Tony and myself.  We just came in from yet another appeal to campus security to look into this, but as usual they scoffed. As nothing worth more than $10 was ever stolen, they didn't seem too bothered., but to us $10 was a lot of money. This dorm was famed for taking in the 'poor kids'. It was the cheapest, which may go some way to explaining why it was the most neglected. The three of us did not have too much money, which was why getting stuff stolen from us was more a big deal to us

"It has to be someone in this building" Tony mused "The front door lock is fine, so it has to be someone with a key"

"There are forty people in this building" I pointed out "Unless we start a systematic room search, I doubt we'll be able to narrow it down better than that" We all gathered in the communal area on our floor. Mei was rather silent, which was unlike her. Usually when she started talking, she couldn't stop. She loved the sound of her own voice, but at the moment, she seemed down.

"What's up, Mei?" I asked

"I'm just confused, why only one shoe?" She asked, a look of utter bewilderment on her pretty face. Mei was a very pretty young thing. She was around 5'8'' with a slender build. Her short black hair framed her oriental features perfectly. She was always rather fashion conscious, but since the thefts, I began to notice Mei was wearing the same pair of shoes all the time; a pair of battered silver flats. I figured they were too run down to be worth anything hence why they weren't stolen.

"I have a theory" Tony said, speaking up "Maybe they're being auctioned"

"Auctioned to who?" I asked. Who would want to buy one shoe?

"There are people on the internet who would pay quite a lot for a girl's shoe" He mumbled, looking shamed that he even knew about such things. I turned to Mei who had a look of disgust on her face.

"That's sick! They're being sold to perverts who jack off into them" She yelled

"It's just a theory" Tony muttered, but Mei seemed to ignore him.

"I'll show them. I've still got a few tricks up my sleeve" She then smiled, and went back to her room, without so much as a 'good night'. I hoped that Tony's theory wasn't true. I hoped that Mei had just misplaced her shoes, she wasn't exactly neat and organised. Mei lived like a slob, her room looked as though a bomb had gone off, I was surprised she even noticed anything missing. Tony and I talked some more about college and Tv, before turning in for the night.

The next day I realised that my library loan was due at noon. I couldn't afford another late fee, the last one crippled me. Thing was though, getting the book back wasn't as simple as it sounds. At the beginning of the semester, I loaned the book to Mei, in a way to impress her, after I told her how helpful it was for me on my course. Only the previous year, I had the book on a recurring library loan, rather than owning it. When Mei asked to borrow it, stupid male pride prevented me from telling her I only borrowed it from the library, now the book was in Mei's room. I worked out a lie to tell Mei, so I could renew the loan for another month or so and was rehearsing it in my head as I knocked on her door.

"Mei? It's Alex. You home?" I asked. No reply. She couldn't be asleep, I just saw her that morning at breakfast. She must be out at class. This was bad, I needed that book badly, a look at my watch told me it was nearly eleven, I didn't have much time left. A thought crossed my mind. We all knew the doors weren't very good, if I just broke in, took the book,  surely she wouldn't notice. Especially if I got the book back to her room before her classes were out. I jiggled the door handle a little bit, I knew the trick to this.

All it needed was a push of sufficient strength and the door would just open. Giving the door a good shove, I gained entry to Mei's room. It was as I expected; a complete sty. clothes left lying around, bed unmade, books strewn here, there and everywhere, the only clear patch of floor was where her silver flats were placed neatly by her bed. 'Weird' I thought 'she must think those shoes are her pride and joy'. It was strange that it was her shoes above all else that she put on a pedestal and made look presentable in her desperately untidy room. I shrugged it off and looked for the book. The state of the room, made the whole affair rather difficult, but eventually I found the book high up on her bookshelf. Straining to grab it, I lost balance and fell on the floor, miraculously avoiding much of the clutter, I landed on top on Mei's shoes. I tried to get up but found myself unable to move. Something was desperately wrong as the room started spinning. Did I hit my head as I fell, I wondered as it felt as though I was getting smaller. My mind refocused and my perspective was very different. I found myself low to the ground looking up at the world and unable to move. It was though I was flat, I couldn't move my neck to see any part of myself. I was so much smaller than before, the world looked a very different place. I tried to call for help, but I could make no sound. I was trapped in Mei's room, unable to move.

I lay there for what felt like days, I don't know exactly how long it was before Mei returned. I swelled with fear as she walked past me. She was like a skyscraper! She didn't even acknowledge me, could she see me? What had happened to me? I could barely make out what Mei was doing, her giant legs seemed to stretch to infinity. She sat at her desk and crossed her mammoth legs, dangling the flip flops she was wearing off her mighty feet. I tried in vain once again to get her attention, but no noise escaped my body. I felt numb, I couldn't feel any part of my body, yet i could still feel the air on my face. Strangely, I could also taste the air, it tasted salty down here. Had I been paralysed? If so, why couldn't Mei see me? After another long while, Mei turned to me

"Oh the spell activated!" She said excitedly. She ran towards me, shaking the world around me with every footfall. "I wonder which one you ended up as"

What was she talking about, which one. Now Mei was looking directly at me, crouching. She was enormous, I could see every detail of her pretty face. She raised her hand over me, it seemed to glow for a second or two

"Oh, you're lefty. Strange you've always taken the right one before" She mused. Her hand closed in on me. Was she going to pick me up? She was, she lifted me as if I was nothing. In her hand she held me up to her face. "Welcome to your new life, perv"