- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Not much action in this chapter, I am just using it to set up this journey Killian will be going on.

“Two hundred!?” Mero was already sickened by the notion of helping a man like Jorik Laufy, now that he knew he would be surrounded by thugs of Laufy’s, his anger rose to a new peak. He hurled a balled fist through the wall in his room. “Two hundred, it isn’t bad enough you got us into this foolish adventure Killi, but now all of those fuckers are going to be breathing down our necks the whole way there. You’ve always been there for me Killi, but what were you thinking? You can’t trust him, what did I tell y…” 

            “I know!” Killian burst out. He knew that Mero was not going to react well to this whole situation, but it was the only way. He took a seat, the weight of his promise to Jorik was obviously taking its toll on him already and he hadn’t even embarked on the trek yet. “Mero, what did you want me to do. That man would have killed us both then and there.”

            “Better that then roll over for the man and do his bidding.” What would you have me do friend? Killian was beginning to question himself, if he even made the right decision.

            “He knew I wouldn’t be able to let you throw your life away, that’s why he came after you. If you’re upset at me for trying to keep you alive, then all I can say is live with it!” Killian did not much like arguing this over with Mero at this time, they should be resting. There would be no backing out of this journey.

            Mero gritted his teeth, “Oh thank you Killi, thank you. You saved my life… for now at least. Who knows what we’ll run into out there?”

            Killian knew what they would run into. He wanted to say, You know as well as I, She is out there; I know how perilous it is. Killian opted instead to try and calm Mero down. “When has a bit of danger ever dissuaded you from anything Mero? Besides you’ll have me there to watch your back.”

            “Look at the good that’s done me.”

            “Pretty damn well if you ask me Mero, I seem to remember a number of skirmishes where a certain big oaf got caught off guard. Good thing I was there. Look even if you don’t want to go, you’ll have to, that’s just the way it is. There’s no changing it now my friend.” Killian was worried that Mero wouldn’t listen to his pleas and he couldn’t blame him. This journey was longer and more arduous than any they had ever been on. “C’mon Mero, we are going to need to have each other’s backs through this. What do you say?”

            Mero shifted around, he was thinking over his answer, finally he looked Killian right in the eyes. “What the hell, you’re right about always having my back at least, and like you said, it’s not like I can refuse anyway.”

            Killian gave a sigh of relief, “I’m sorry Mero, truly, when we get back, and make no mistake, we will, I will owe you. Trust me, drinks will be on me for the rest of our days.”

            A booming laugh escaped Mero, “More than drinks my friend, more than drinks. It’s a long journey, I’ll surely think of some way for you to pay the debt.” Mero reached out for Killian’s hand and they locked in a firm shake, “Killi, I mean it when I say thanks for helping me out with Jorik, even though you got us into this.” Killian said nothing, he only nodded. Mero’s smile was widening once more, “come now, let’s rest, the damn journey begins tomorrow.”

            The night passed slowly and uncomfortably for Killian. The memory he was given by Erik seemed to replay itself in grisly detail. He saw how easily hardened men were killed by Her. He was enveloped in the darkness as Her hand inched across the sky over him, the group of men screamed like children before they were crushed by Her mere finger. He envisioned the man who flung himself off the piece of food rather than be eaten by Her. Killian awoke with a gasp; a film of sweat had formed on his brow. Killian could not rest, he was beyond tired after the day, yet when he closed his eyes all that would come to him were visions of the fate the scouts in Erik’s memory succumbed to. She killed them all so easily, not even knowing they were there. She was a force of nature, a disaster that Killian would soon find himself walking towards when he knew he should stay as far away from Her as he could get.

            Repeatedly Killian would toss and turn unable to sleep haunted by the fate of those scouts. His struggles grew to the point where Mero heard them. “Killi, you alright?” he asked. Killian did not shake out of his dream this time though. Mero had to forcibly grab him, trying to shake him out of his dream. Mero finally shook Killian awake with a gasp.

            Killian looked around the room quizzically trying to make sense of where he was. It took him a moment or two to remember how he was supposed to be resting for the journey tomorrow. He saw the ceiling once more and stared up into it before noticing Mero looking worried over him. “What time is it Mero?” He asked in barely a whisper.

            “There’s still time to rest friend, though, you’re doing a piss poor job of it.” Mero stood up and lit the candle once more to light the room then decided to get to the bottom of what was ailing Killian so. “You’ve been mumbling in your sleep all night Killi. I come over to check on you, and you’re burning up. You keep mumbling to yourself about ‘the meld bein the key.’ You’re starting to worry me friend.”

            “I’m sorry Mero, there’s just a lot I can’t explain right now, I’m not sure what’s going on myself.”

“You know I’ve been meaning to ask Killi, how did you know I was in trouble?”

            Flustered, Killian did not know how to answer, he didn’t feel it would be wise to share the details of how powerful his gift was becoming just yet, he was not sure he could even control it. Killian finally answered though, “Jorik’s brother, Erik, he warned me.”

            Mero looked suspicious, “how did he know of it Killi?”

            “Look I’m not sure, he told me and I helped that is the end of it. We’re lucky he did or you might be dead.” Killian did not want to sound as defensive as he did but he blurted out the remark. When do I tell Mero, should I ever? Killian had no answers right now to any of his questions. He was lost in discovering this gift and to make matters infinitely worse he would soon be outside the walls in lands that were a complete mystery to him. Right now though, he had to rest. “Mero, I’m sorry, I just don’t know where my head is right now. Let’s just try and rest again.”

            “As you say Killi,” Mero agreed without any further prodding and quickly drifted back into slumber. Killian was haunted by dreams again but he was at least afforded some rest now. The fever did not seem to persist anymore and he ceased to talk.

            By the next day both men felt at least somewhat ready for their journey. They walked in silence though, neither one wanting to say anything. This could be the last time Killian and Mero would see the city like this. The odds were leaning heavily towards the fact that they would not survive. They could be set upon by one of the lawless bandit tribes on the way or simply crushed carelessly in the Goddess’ path. What if we do make it back? Killian found himself asking. Would Jorik be in their debt, would they be exalted as great pioneers or would Laufy simply take all the credit? Killian asked himself this all the way to the wall until he finally decided all that mattered was they stayed alive. He was not going to let Mero die and he still had to hone his gift. Killian wondered now how would he hone his gift though. There would be no one to teach him, so he would be left to train himself.

            That all ceased to matter when they reached the front gate. Mero put his hand on Killian’s shoulder and somberly stated, “No turning back brother, are you ready?” Killian simply nodded as the gate opened. Both men walked forward and were greeted by the sight of the others going on the journey with them. Dozens of men were loading up the beasts with supplies. Do these men know how unlikely it is they return, Killian thought until he reasoned most of them owed Jorik some debt thus why they were on this trek.

            “You weren’t lying when you said two hundred Killi, and look at all the beasts we got. This might not turn out so bad.” The trepidation Mero still had was clear but Killian shared it. Scanning the area he noticed that Laufy was waddling over towards them. He was sickened by the gluttonous man. Laufy cared little for all these men’s lives, that’s why he was sending them on this suicide mission. Killian noticed another person limping alongside the portly man; he immediately knew who it was.

            Erik called over to Killian with the meld before actually speaking with him. Don’t look so shocked boy, I asked to come along. Before you say “what about your leg” don’t worry about it. I’m here to help you with the meld. I doubt my story did much but scare you before your journey so I’m gonna do something good for once. By the time Erik explained this to Killian, Jorik was right in front of the duo ready to see them gone.

            “Gentlemen,” the portly man said with a cold courtesy “what a fine morning to see you off. I trust you are both ready to make history.” Jorik had a sickening look of satisfaction on his face. He was ready to be able to make himself even richer by finally plotting out a path to where the goddess’ food was. If he wasn’t already the wealthiest man in the colony, he would surely be if this journey succeeded. “It brings a tear to my eye boys, just how momentous your return will be. We will gain access to a virtually limitless amount of food and cement our place in the upper echelon of society. We will have a bountiful supply of delicacies the likes of which aren’t even known. All you and your party has to do is prove that the journey can be made with… acceptable losses, and the council will allow me to permanently send more caravans to that area.”

            Acceptable losses? That phrase lit a fire in Killian, but he quickly doused it before he lit one in Jorik. All he did was nod to all the rotund man said. Laufy went on and on about how all of them would go down in history as great men and how their debt would not only be lifted but they would make a handsome sum if they returned. He loves the sound of his voice doesn’t he? Killian asked Erik through the meld.

            More than most. The former scout replied.

            Finally Erik cut off his older brother, “Jorik, I think they understand now how grand the day is.”

            “Well… you’re right,” Jorik said flustered. “How thoughtless of me, I’ve forgotten to introduce you two to my younger brother Erik. A former scout before a horrible accident, but he will be an asset nonetheless to you.”

            Mero was obviously taken aback by this information. “No offense to you Erik, but are you sure it is wise for a man in your… condition to take a journey such as this. This is your brother’s doing isn’t it. How could you send your own brother on a journey like this, especially crippled as he is?”

            Jorik’s face turned a deep red, Mero had obviously angered him once more, but before he could respond Erik did for him. “Mero, is it? My brother had no part in my decision to go, I promise you. And don’t presume that just because of my busted leg I won’t be able to contribute to this trek. I was a scout once. I know the land.” Your friend doesn’t seem to like me much Erik told Killian in the meld.

            “You’re right. You were once a scout. But how long ago was that. You might have been a help then but now, you’re dead weight.” Mero could not believe they would be stuck taking care of a cripple but Killian knew that Erik was a valuable man to have with them.

            “Lighten up Mero,” he beseeched. “Erik saved your life if you don’t recall and he tells the truth when he says he how well he knows much of the land. I think you will find him most helpful if you give him the chance.”

            Mero grunted but did not say anything against the decision so it was made final by Jorik. “Well then, my dear brother, please do come back. I will surely miss your company.”

            “Of course you will,” said Erik unbelievingly.

            Another hour was spent finally loading all the provisions and men onto the beasts. Erik slowly made his way up one with his limp leg but he did make it up all the same. Killian spoke with some of the men while final preparations were made. He learned many of them were basically forced into this by Jorik and had little to no experience in travelling in a caravan. How many of these men have families or loved ones here to come back to? It was not a comforting thought that many of them would not make it back. It was even less consoling that if they did make it back, Laufy would send countless more men to die all for his greed and the counsel would be fine because the losses would be deemed “acceptable”.

            Mero decided he would be on foot for the first part of the journey so he stayed on the ground while Killian climbed up to take his place on the beast’s back. He took his place by Erik and his heart began to sink. It’s time now.

            Jorik called out, “Good luck! All of you!” Killian knew they were empty words but he hoped luck would be on their side. The beasts were set in motion and the journey finally began in earnest.

            Erik turned to Killian. “You’re understandably troubled but you will need to relax a bit if we are going to begin training with the meld.” Erik was right, with all the anxiety Killian was feeling, his powers began to cloud. He tried clearing his mind, but he could not, at least now. He had too many questions concerning his fate.

            Erik cold sense how troubled Killian truly was, he put a hand on his shoulder to reassure him. “I hear all those questions shooting around your thoughts boy, perhaps I can answer a few and put you at least somewhat at ease.”

            Killian assented, “well it couldn’t hurt to try.” He thought for a moment wondering what to ask first. “Erik, do you think we will survive this?”

            The former scout seemed taken aback. “Of course We will boy. There will be losses no doubt but we will make it; I wouldn’t have come if I thought otherwise. Besides I need to show you the power you have. I couldn’t help the world as a scout but now I have a second chance to atone for the lives I wasted. To be honest I’m not even sure what you will be able to achieve with full control of the Meld but it will be grand to see.”

            Killian was still troubled. “You say I will do great things, that I have the potential to control this great power but I don’t think I want it.” Killian was finally airing out all his worries for Erik to hear. “I grew up on the far side of the domain in the grass forest. I never had much. I was just a simple caravan worker just two days ago. Then I saw Her and She almost killed me. Now I feel she did something worse. I didn’t ask for this power to be thrust upon me. I don’t even know how it will serve me in life other than making people think I am insane.”

            “Plenty of us get things we don’t ask for lad. I didn’t ask for my leg to be made limp but the goddess saw fit to make it so. The one above all has a plan for all of us, even the Goddess. It isn’t for us to know but it will be clear when you see it. Just as I knew I stumbled into you and now I must guide you to master your gift you’ll know you’re calling when you see it.” Erik pushed himself up with his arms and then sat directly in front of Killian. “Now, you may still feel worried but try to relax, we are just going to calm our minds now, that’s all.”

            “Right, relax,” Killian cleared his mind. He sat still as the beast slowly moved them up and down as it walked. He started to feel calm now surprisingly. He slowed his breathing and began to focus just on staying calm. He was fine until something hit his mind. Time for a nice nap in the sun. It was Her voice, she was coming. Killian fell over, hearing Her thoughts was something that took a lot out of him. When Erik helped him back up all Killian could do was say, “I heard Her, She is coming this way.”

            He was right, a rhythmic booming was heard coming from all the way to the other side of the valley. They all felt each step she made before she finally made Her entrance. She was wearing quite a revealing piece of clothing and appeared to be carrying something in her other arm. What little amount of the striped fabric she had on barely covered her quaking breasts. The fabric also seemed to have a hard time containing those same breast that reverberated with each step. Another piece of clothing covered Her womanhood. She was far away but Her size was still breath taking. She was magnificent. Her hazel eyes always had a glint of light in them and her naturally tan skin was bereft of blemishes. Those full lips of her’s were almost in a pout right now. She was Beautiful in virtually every feature, and Her size only amplified that beauty. It was strange the effect she had. Killian was entranced now at the sight of Her but he knew fully well how horrifying she could be.

            She continued Her short walk across the whole valley. It was clear she wasn’t coming their way. Thank the one above all for that, Killian thought to himself. She was leaving to the grass forest. “She won’t be a problem for us at least,” said Killian.

            Erik only replied “The poor souls out there though…”