- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I dedicate a large portion of this chapter to a flashback, hopefully that is clear.

Finally ready to put the day’s events behind them, Killian and Mero were making their way to the tavern. They walked through the streets and found a surprising amount of damage done. Rubble of weaker structures was laying everywhere in piles and heaps. The civilians in the area were scrambling in all directions trying to find missing loved ones and valuables. The disaster might not have been as damaging as it was outside the walls, but it was enough to create fear and desperation in all those people in the square. The Goddess had not been so close to the settlement in such a long time that many residents had forgotten how Her mere presence was such a catastrophe all its own. They, like Killian, were reminded that day that they were subjects to a being so much greater than they were that they were hardly noticed at all.

            Killian couldn’t help but feel sorry for these people. Some lost their homes and were desperately digging through piles of rubble to find some piece of their old possessions untouched. He saw how an elderly man laid dead, his head bleeding from the force of a falling brick.

            “Poor old man, he didn’t need to go like that.” Mero decided to dig the man out of the rubble and find a place to lay his body. It wasn’t a burden at all for Mero, his strength was considerable. Killian stood where he was and analyzed the area around him. Some children covered in dust were running looking for their parents. A younger couple was digging frantically through rubble to look for some item of importance. They clawed and dug but their toils seemed to be in vain.

            After Mero had completed the task he rejoined with Killian as they continued down the marketplace. A woman shrieked a horrid wail that was barely discernible. She asked all who could hear, “have you seen my Kyle, I can’t find my son, Where is Kyle?” The duo walked past her, sympathetic of her struggle, but not able to help her.

            “We’re finally here Mero, let’s try and put this day behind us.”

            “I’m going to put it behind me Killi, but you look like you need something to dull your senses. Luckily we’re in the right place.”

            Killian forced a smile, “What are we waiting for Mero, let’s go in.”

            They opened the door to a packed house. The day’s happenings had apparently driven many people to the tavern to drown their sorrows. Men and women alike were in there to find some semblance of joy to the day after the goddess had ruined so much. Most didn’t blame Her though, it was to be expected for a being like Her. It was up to the lowly mortals to deal with whatever she did. It was the cruel reality of Killian’s world, that the simplest of actions carried so much weight to them.

            “You fellas in from the Great ones visit?” asked the tavern keep.

            Killian decided to answer, “We were outside the walls delivering a caravan shipment. We were right next to Her.”

            “Truly? You saw her up close; it must have been an angelic sight.”

            “It was for a short time until we lost men.” Killian wasn’t lying. To see the Great ones beauty was a grand thing and Killian had always been in awe of that beauty since he first saw her, but it did not lessen the bloodshed. “She killed at least fifty. That’s why we’re here, to drink to their memory; I hope you haven’t exhausted your stores yet.”

            The tavern keep smiled, he responded through crooked teeth, “Drink’s about the only thing I’ve plenty of. Tell you what; you fellas look like you got it worse than most in here and seeing as the caravan is basically a life line to the city, how about I give you boys drinks on the house.”

            “We would be most grateful of such a generous act, but it isn’t…”

            “Thank you, we’ll be taking the drinks,” Mero blurted interrupting Killian. When they sat down, he pulled Killian aside and in a lower tone, “How could you refuse a free drink, now c’mon let’s relax. The One above all knows you need it”

            Mero had recessed back into his normal jovial demeanor; the drink seemed to be helping him at least. Killian was a different story, he still thought of the morning, how those men had been flung like pieces of dust by a careless step. The bottom of Her sole as he looked up, it was like a maze carved deep into flesh. He thought of the life leaving those poor souls and the man standing only several feet away from him decapitated by the smallest of crumbs the Goddess uncaringly dropped from her treat. What bothered Killian the most was that voice he heard. “Time to make breakfast,” such a simple statement yet it troubled Killian greatly. It had to be Her, no one else heard but me. He had never heard Her voice before, it was beautiful. Feminine yet overpowering all at once and yet it was only one trivial sentence that somehow carried so much behind it. Why did I hear it, how did I hear it? Both questions troubled Killian. He needed to find answers.

            “You ok Killi? You got that damned puzzled look on your face again. Please tell me your thinking of something other than today.”

            Killian couldn’t lie to Mero, “Well, it’s just… it’s not just the men lost today, that was awful but there was nothing we could do, it’s… you know what never mind, I don’t want to bring you into it.” Killian decided it might be better to leave the fact of the voice out for now; there was no need to make himself look mad and worry Mero about it.

            “You’re probably right whatever it is Killi, but you need to follow my example and relax, It’s not a great thing to see you sulking like this.”

            “Mero, I’m sorry, but the events troubled me greatly. Why don’t you leave me to sulk? Go find yourself a woman like you planned. I’ll be here if you need me.”

            “If you feel that’s best Killi I won’t refuse you, I’ll go find myself a girl; you stay here in self thought.”

            Killian forced a smile, “Try not to get into any trouble out there.” Mero got up to leave He patted Mero on the back and grinned as he gave a jest in response.

            “I never get into trouble; if you remember I’m the one who always gets you out of it.”

            Killian watched as Mero walked out the doors, his back was turned, but Killian still heard his voice in his mind, Damn Killi, you always get like this! Killian turned around to respond but Mero was no longer there. Great, now I’m hearing his voice too. A thought struck Killian, could he here other voices? He scanned the room and focused. He failed to hear so much as a whisper, perhaps he was going mad. He never let that possible explanation leave his mind. He had never known anyone to hear voices like he had, but he couldn’t rule out the possibility. This new thought brought him to sink deeper into himself.

            The door opened once more and to Killian’s surprise, a beautiful woman walked in. She wasn’t an average beauty though, she had a confidence to how she walked, her apparel was not what most women would wear, and it was layered in rows, providing protection; it was the armor of a warrior. She was tall and lean, but it was clear she had strong legs and muscles; she entranced Killian despite her uncommon appearance. Her hair was a fiery red that was tied back neatly so it would stay out of her face. Her eyes, a rich deep green, scanned the room, she was obviously cautious of her surroundings. Whoever she was, Killian knew she was important, that much was apparent by the way she carried herself.

            “Ah, commander! For what do we owe the pleasure.” The tavern keep was delighted to see her whoever she was.

            “Oh, just come to calm my nerves and enjoy my day off, the One above all knows I don’t get many.”

            Another crooked smile appeared on the tavern keep’s face, “Well I’m glad you decided to spend it here commander. Please make yourself at home.”

            “Yara?” another voice from the back of the tavern called out, she turned to see who had called her. A man limped over to her and embraced her. Killian watched from where he sat, he decided he would listen to the conversation. “Let me get you a drink woman, it’s the least I could do for how you freed me so many years ago.”

            “That isn’t necessary Erik, trust me, I make enough to buy my own drink, and I only did what any other scout would do helping you get away from Her.”

            “Nonsense, I was sure to be dead and no one came but you just take my coin and get yourself a drink and I’ll leave you to enjoy the rest of the night.” He pushed the coin into her hand and gave her one more hug. Killian thought maybe one more time he could try and see what someone was thinking. He focused once more on the woman but nothing; he focused then on the man and was greeted with something unexpected, the man turned to face Killian looking annoyed. It’s rude to do that you know, especially if people don’t know you’re doing it. Killian was astonished; he never thought he would be caught trying to hear someone’s thoughts. The man limped over to where Killian was and sat right beside him.

            “I’m…I’m sorry, I didn’t think anyone would catch me and the damn drink didn’t help,” Killian apologized.

            “The ‘damn drink’ is why you can’t do it properly, what’s your name boy?”

            “Killian, as I said I’m sorry, I’ve just… this is all new to me and I don’t quite understand what this gift is yet.”

            The man chuckled, “My name is Erik, and the ‘gift’ is the one you and everyone else has always had. It’s the Meld. Your Meld’s strength is just growing past others. I know this because I have the same experience. It’s what helped Yara over there save my life. When did you realize your Meld was growing this strong?”

            Killian reluctantly answered, “I… this morning when the Great One came, I… this sounds mad to say… I heard her voice. And later I heard my friend’s voice in my mind, that’s when I tried to hear others and you caught me. Have you ever heard her voice?”

            “The Titan’s, no, never, I have heard thoughts but never Her’s, I’ve… I’ve never heard of anyone being able to do that. Your meld might be stronger than mine ever was, that doesn’t mean you should abuse it though.”

            Killian nodded, “I’ll try not to, but if you don’t mind me asking, how did your meld save you, or help get you saved, I overheard you were almost killed by the Great One.”

            Erik looked down; he grabbed a drink and finished it in one quick swig. He looked Killian in the eyes and said, “I don’t like to talk about it but what the hell, I’ll tell you. Not with words though, I’ll let you experience it first hand, so you can see that beautiful Goddess how Yara and I see her.” Erik put a hand on Killian’s temple. Killian felt it all at once; he saw Erick’s recounting play out before him.

            I had been a scout for two years now, and I hadn’t seen much in the way of action. Funny, when you’re a boy you yearn for adventure, but get to much of it and you see how much better it is to live in a safe city walls all around you. Of course those walls don’t help much when She is out there. Just ask Yara. Anyway it was a regular patrol, there were at least seventy of us, it was a good feeling flying on the backs of beasts back then. That was truly the safest I ever felt. Up in the air I could see everything as if I was as tall as the Goddess.

            We had run off a pack of bandit’s and were scouting deeper than we should have. I see now we should have listened to Kranog, but we were young and stupid and Yara wasn’t there to keep us in place. The beast’s smelled something and we just had to touch down and investigate what it was. We found some kind of device in the middle of a platform, when we touched down I realized it was a bowl on a table. A small bowl as well but it was the size of a whole town to us. It’s incredible when you really think about it, how small we really are, I mean, we are constantly reminded but you don’t understand till you see her.

            We landed in the food; it was a hard surface and covered in miniscule crystals of some type. Someone said it gave the food flavor but how would he know. All we cared about was bringing news of this back to base. First we had to have a taste though. We were greedy and stayed there too long. In hindsight that was the most foollish decision we could have made. All seventy of us all on those pieces of food, you can only guess how stupid of an idea it was.

            Pieces were easy to break of this food with our weapons, we all tasted and it was pretty damn good, I can’t lie. It wasn’t worth the losses though. I’m sure you’ve felt the Tremors plenty of times out there; you’d know how they shake you to your bones. Everything trembled with each of her steps. The bowl we were in rattled at the Titan’s arrival. Our beasts caught sight of her and flied off scared, they flew away so swiftly none of us had any time to meld with them and calm them down. I can’t blame them for their fear after I saw her appear over the edge of the bowl. She didn’t seem to notice the beasts had been in her food but she did notice them all clustered in the air. Then She spoke.

            “STUPID GNATS,” Her voice was louder than thunder; it amplified off the walls of the bowl. It hurt to hear it, it felt as though all of my organs were shaken at once, I checked for blood in my ears but luckily there was none, just the sharp ping that followed such a loud noise. She swatted with one of her great hands at the group of flying beasts, most got away to safety but those that she made contact with had to have died on impact. She continued over to the bowl shaking us and making it harder to traverse the edible plains we were on.

            I will remember to the end of my days that face of Hers, I had never been so close to her but seeing Her like that was different. I could appreciate how God-like she really was. Those eyes of Her’s were a light brown, like two stars they glinted. Her skin a natural tan, but I don’t have to go into that, you’ve seen Her.

            She sat down in a chair in front of the bowl with a boom. We had spread out all across the bowl to explore it and now we were stranded in it. I knew exactly what she was going to do and I had to scream at the top of my lungs to try and warn everyone but it was all for naught. “Run!” I yelled, but only those around me seemed to heed the advice. We hopelessly bolted the opposite direction of the Goddess. I looked back and saw my fears were true. The Great One planned to eat her snack.

            Those fingers must have been hundreds maybe thousands of feet long and they descended searching for a suitable piece of food. I remember the red coating she had on them, it seemed fitting for all the men she was about to kill. The wind exerted by her simple hand moving to grab a piece was enough to knock a few of us on our feet. When the piece of food was raised thousands of feet up into the air to her mouth I could hear the screams of those men still stranded on it. There was no ceremony to their death, she bit into the food with extreme efficiency, and it cracked at the tiniest amount of pressure her mouth applied. Those great teeth in her mouth that shined so white made short work of the food. I shuttered to think what happened to those trapped on it. They were either crushed and chewed to even smaller bits, or drowned in her saliva.

            There was no time to mourn them, I looked out in front of me and I noticed some other men trying to climb out of the bowl. Their attempts were as futile as my attempts at trying to run away. They could get no grip on the bowls slick surface. Their time soon came though. The hand reached out past me and blocked out the light. I heard them scream as the fingers, all massive pillars of flesh closed in on their target. The intricate pattern of her fingerprints was so strange up close, I saw miniscule pieces of dust and food unnoticed by her trapped in there. Her thumb landed not far from where I was and sent me into the air, five men were under where it impacted as well, they were wiped out of existence immediately with not even a split second to grovel for mercy. Even if they were afforded time it would fall on deaf ears. The hand lifted once more and removed its shadow almost blinding me, thousands of feet it ascended but this time I saw how a desperate man leaped from the side of the piece. Wherever he landed he surely died. That made no difference to the Goddess, none of our lies did. She was simply enjoying a little snack and we were all stupid enough to come into Her realm.

            I had no idea how many of us were left by this point but there was about fifteen men on the same piece of food as I all spread out. We were lucky enough to avoid Her this long but our luck soon ran out. Without even looking down on us Her gargantuan hand descended once more, this time to our location. It was horrifying but it happened so fast. The fingers went to each side of me and grasped the food. The force of being lifted into the air so fast almost made me pass out, I couldn’t move I was hugging the ground beneath me. When the chip was close to Her face. I saw those wonderful eyes once more, but they did not see me. All they saw was the piece of food I was on. I and all the men on there with me were about to become one with the Goddess, our pathetic lives and bodies were going to be digested and fuel her.

            The time was up I knew, but I couldn’t close my eyes, if that face was going to be the last thing I saw, at least it was an angelic sight. Her maw opened and a wave of heat hit us. Her tongue was a landscape all its own, it undulated to each side. Surely if any of us were to even make it there we would drown in a matter of minutes or be crushed inside Her mouth. The food moved forward and time seemed to slow, I saw men closer to the front trying to crawl away from their fate. We were all the bravest of the brave, but she was greater than fear itself, and in that moment if you were to look upon any of our faces, you would see how hopeless it was against Her.

            The food was for the most part, in Her mouth now, and Her teeth began to descend upon it and do their work. They were as white as marble and would soon seal the fate of all the men including me on that piece of food. A man hopelessly reached out at me as if I could save him, I screamed “I’m sorry,” back at him but it didn’t stop his plea. He continued to reach out until the teeth finally smashed down and separated us. The ground around me cracked and fell apart, as soon as I knew it, I was falling through the air on a crumb that had fallen off. I impacted hard on an unknown landscape. A searing pain shot up my body, I looked down and my femur was sticking out of my leg. I had to crawl; there was no way to walk with that limp leg.

            Wherever I was, it was humid, the sweat profusely started to drip down me, it found its way into my eyes but the salty sting went unnoticed. The pain of my leg was all I could feel. It was a small drop off the piece of food but I was able to overcome it. The ground all around swelled up and down, it was a light tan color, I knew where I was without looking but I had to anyway. I couldn’t see Her face just the underside of Her chin. Each breath she took was felt, and every movement she made sent a pulse through her soft flesh. I was trying to get as far from the crumb as I could because I didn’t want to take any risks. It was slow but I kept working my way away from the crumb. I was lucky to, I don’t know how she noticed but she brushed Her chest off and the crumb that saved my life went with it.

            By some miracle I was still living, broken, but still living. Even with my lame leg I was better off now than the other scouts. I had no idea what to do though, I sat back and just looked over the living landscape I was on. I was on the base of one of those mountains that hung so firm off of Her, then the world started to move again. She was just shifting herself around to get more comfortable but it tossed me around a bit and sent the white hot pain through me again. Something scraped passed where I was, I don’t know how I didn’t notice it before, it was some kind of necklace. So many times that day I almost lost my life and I wonder why I did not.

            I looked out to the horizon and basically all I saw was Her. That’s how massive she was, Her body was all I knew for that time. I could tell she was lying back relaxing. Her feet, several miles away were propped up on the table. It was insane to see them so far away, Her toenails were painted red to match Her fingers, I saw the glint of Her toe ring on the second digit of Her right foot. It was a beacon showing me how titanic the length of Her body was.

            The whole time I had been losing quite a lot of blood. I was starting to fade in and out of consciousness; I wouldn’t be alive much longer. I had to make contact with someone, but how? I felt something, at that point, It was the Meld, I always knew it had great power but, to call someone over, the only person I knew who could communicate through it was Kranog, but I had to try. I closed my eyes knowing that there was a possibility I would never open them again. I pleaded for help through the Meld, but there was no one to hear it. Until Yara, came, she wouldn’t give up the search and I was able to make contact. She risked her life getting so close to the Goddess so she could save mine. I remember seeing her touch down onto the Goddess. I thought I was beginning to see things but it was Yara truly. That red hair of hers couldn’t be mistaken. After that it was a blur, I slipped in and out of consciousness and before I knew it I was back at the base.

            Killian opened his eyes and it seemed as if not a minute had passed as Erik told the story. “How, that was quite a long story.”

            “Well it didn’t waste much of your time just a couple of minutes, I transferred it to you, no big deal, it’s like it’s just another one of your memories now.” Erik smiled and grabbed himself another drink. “Anyway, you saw most of it, you didn’t see the part where I figure out my leg was useless, I was expelled from the scouts, and all I do is mooch off my brother now.” Erik swallowed down yet another drink and continued what he was saying. “I guess, it isn’t bad though, I’m still alive, and how many people can say they have felt that part of Her eh? Anyway I want you to take something away from this.” Erik put his finger on Killian’s forehead, “No one I know of has ever heard Her voice like that, your Meld might be stranger than even Kranog’s. Learn how to use it, trust me, it saved my life and who knows what you’ll be able to do with it.”

            Killian agreed, “I will, but I don’t think I want to experience being so close to Her again.” He shared a couple more drinks with Erik until he decided to inquire, “Erik, if you don’t mind me asking, who’s your brother?”

            “Oh, you’ve probably met him, if not you have surely heard of him. Jorik Laufy. He runs the caravan company in this settlement. Rich man got more money than he knows what to do with, so it isn’t a hassle to spare some for a cripple like me.”

            Killian was surprised, “I ran into him earlier actually, if you don’t mind me saying, he seemed to have his head up his ass.”

            “Ya, I think that to, sometimes…” Erik, stopped and closed his eyes he was focusing on something, “Your friend’s the big guy right?”

            “yes, Mero, why do ask?” Killian looked worried. Mero always seemed to have a hot temper so he knew there had to be a problem. “What is the problem?”

            “Well, it seems he ran into my brother and some of his cronies, If I were you, I’d run over there and diffuse the situation. Go.”

            “For the story and insight I have nothing but thanks, I wish we could have spoken but I need to help my friend.” Killian shook his hand and ran for the door.

            Erik called one more time, “I’m sure you know my brother is a dangerous man, but he isn’t stupid, If you have something to offer him he’ll let you go, just do what he asks and he’ll be your best friend.”

            Killian heeded the advice sprinting down the street. Mero hadn’t gone far and when Killian found him he was on the ground with a bloodied nose. Jorik had henchmen around just as big, if not larger than Mero. “Mr. Laufy! Please, reconsider whatever you plan on doing with my friend.”

            Jorik scoffed, “Your friend saw me and decided he would come after me and demand I send the men to their homes already. We had already discussed that I would but it would take time. He had the gall to accuse me of lying, saying I would not keep my would and I would just burn the bodies instead.”

            Mero stumbled to his feet wiping the crimson off of his face, “I know you won’t Laufy, you wouldn’t waste the Resources on it.”

            Killian knew he would have to do the talking lest the situation would fall back to violence. “Mero keep quiet!” Mero shot him a look filled with vitriol but he kept quiet all the same. “Mr. Laufy, I’m sorry, whatever my friend did I’m sure you could find it in you to forgive him.”

            Jorik waddled closer, uncomfortably close, “I would be able to forgive him if this was the only matter I had to discuss. I regret to inform you that the shipment number was drastically lower then you estimated. It seems the Great One left us much left than we thought.”

            Killian knew that couldn’t be possible he helped count the supplies himself. “You must be mistaken Mr. Laufy, that isn’t possible.”

            “So you accuse me of deceit as well?” Jorik’s face grimaced and twisted in anger. “Listen my good man, if we were missing only a fraction of the supplies we would not need to be having this conversation. But you made a grievous miscalculation and I can’t have that. I didn’t get to where I am by letting things like this happen. You know what I do to clients that disappoint me don’t you.”

            Killian remembered what Erik had told him. Even though he knew Jorik was lying, he would have to do whatever the man wanted to stay alive. “Mr. Laufy, that won’t be necessary, whatever you want us to do, My friend and I will do it to rectify our mistake.”

            “What are you talking about Killi we can’t…” Killian cut him off again.

            Jorik grinned deeply, “Whatever, you say? Well I have an idea. You take your caravan and you go find me where the food comes from. Not ours, but Hers.” Laufy pointed to the land out of the city and Killian knew exactly what he meant.

            “If that is… really what you wish Mr. Laufy.” Killian was reluctant to follow his order.

            Jorik patted him on the back now, “When do you wish to start, don’t answer that, how does tomorrow sound.”

            Killian looked down not wanting to face anyone there, “If that is what you think is best, but we will need supplies and more men it is a very long journey and…”

            “Don’t you worry about that,” Jorik cut Killian off. “You’ll get both from me. Don’t look so down boy, you’ll be written in history if you are able to set a supply line up that way and I’ll forget all you’ve done to wrong me. So, get some rest, you’ll be going out there soon.”

            Jorik shook Killian’s hand and sauntered away happily, he got what he wanted. Mero stomped off angrily leaving Killian there alone. He thought about going out back there. It was safe in the walls of the city, going out there was a gamble with death. She was out there, and could wipe them all out in mere seconds. He would go farther than he ever had before and risk everyone’s lives all for Jorik’s greed. He decided to finally go rest; it would be a long journey.