- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A quick chapter that highlights that Kira is indeed from another Earth. A little foot worship, but GTS light this time.

The next morning, Kira awoke to the smell of bacon cooking. “Oh sweet ambrosia of the morning.” She moaned as she dragged herself out of the little twin size bed in the rear of the RV.

“I thought you got up early to open your bookstore, Kira? Still worn out from yesterday?” Chrystal asked.

“Sort of, and my store opened at nine. I rolled out of bed usually at seven thirty to caffeinate and get human.” She made her way into the main part of the RV, where the little built-in propane stove was that Chrystal was cooking at, to give her a kiss on the cheek. “So, yesterday... I don't think we were entirely in character when we made out, but I was double size so...”

“Don't overthink it, Kira. I had my first all-the-way lesbian experience last night and I don't want to turn it into a case study. Please?” She looked up at Kira with a sterner look in her eyes than Kira had ever seen in them.

Kira, taken aback, just nodded and kissed Chrystal's ear. “Got it.” She moved over and dropped into the small dinette area then looked over at Chrystal again. “Please say there's coffee.”

“There's coffee.” She pointed at the coffee maker. “I just didn't start it yet. I hate it when it boils too long.” Chrystal leaned over and flicked the switch, and the familiar gurgling sound started up in a moment.

“Ah, the wake up call of champions.” Kira chuckled. “So... we obviously can't go all day like we did yesterday. I hadn't changed for so long that it's taking my body time to adjust. I think I'll try growing at a slower rate today, spread it out. And of course go back to normal size to eat.”

Flipping the bacon and laying the press down again on it, Chrystal turned. “I always wondered about that. You can eat at normal size then spend time huge, then go back down to normal to satisfy yourself? How does that work exactly?”

“Not the greatest. The longer I spend at bigger sizes, the more calories I burn. If I spend more than a couple hours in big size, I get super hungry and may even pass out after I return to normal size. I experimented a lot when I first got my abilities, which kicked in at the exact same time as my period, lucky me. I figured I could just shrink down, eat part of a piece of toast and be good for the day. Nope. I ended up passing out at school, malnutrition. Somehow, food metabolizes best for me at normal size. When I'm big, my metabolism slows down so it takes forever to process food. Though at the same time my ability is burning calories. If I were forced big for like, say, a couple days straight, I'd have to chug kegloads of energy drink and eat a couple hundred pounds of regular food besides. Eventually, the scientists think it would get to the point where I wouldn't be able to keep up with my own calorie expenditure.” Kira responded, geeking out over explaining her own power.

“Uh... wow. That's a lot to take in.” Chrystal responded, blinking.

 “You asked.” Kira sniped back. “Coffee?”

“Just about ready. Rattle on some more about the technical parts of your power and it should be done.”

Kira just stuck out her tongue. “I could, you know.”

“And I'd still love you for it.” Chrystal waved a spatula in her friend's direction just as the toast popped up. She leaned over and lifted the lid of a pot on the back burner. “Eggs are done, too.”

In moments, there was a full breakfast in front of them. Poached eggs, toast, bacon, and coffee. On the table were pepper, salt, ketchup and oddly, steak sauce, which Chrystal began to drizzle over her eggs. “I should have brought some potatoes too to shred. I love this over hashed browns.”

Kira blinked. “You're putting steak sauce... on your eggs.”

“Yup.” Crystal said, diving in with a spoon.

 “Eww.”

 “How do you know it's eww? Have you tried it?”

“No.” Kira said, making a face.

“Open up.” Chrystal scooped up a small bite and moved the spoon toward Kira's face.

“No, please-” But it was too late. Once Kira opened her mouth to speak, Chrystal darted the spoon in and Kira had no choice but to eat the bite.

After she swallowed, her face turned pensive. “Okay, not bad. Probably won't be my favorite way to eat eggs, but it's palatable enough.”

“It's how they do it in England you know. Steak sauce here is called brown sauce there and nearly everyone uses it on their eggs.” Chrystal informed.

“You're not British.” Kira replied.

“Nope. My sister dared me to do it when I was ten when we were eating at a restaurant with our family and I found I liked it better than ketchup.”

“I usually just sop it up with my toast and pepper it.” Kira admitted. “Uh, Chrystal?”

 “What? Something wrong?”

“No. Well, sort of. You're being a bit more... assertive this morning. It's kinda throwing me off of my Goddess game.”

“Well, we're not roleplaying now. Outside of that, we're partners right? Side by side, hip to hip, right?” Chrystal asked.

“Y-yeah. It's just a big flip from last night and my brain is playing catch up.” Kira explained, then shook her head. “Okay, it's more than that.”

“Need me to back down? I can be pretty overbearing.”

“No, Chrystal, don't do that. I just want to share with you how I felt when I first saw your picture.”

“Uh oh.”

“No uh-oh here, Chrystal. I saw your pic and was like. Now there's a tough woman. I was afraid I'd end up the sub and I'm not entirely comfy with that, I'm realizing.”

“Well, we switch off, right? When we're roleplaying or I'm in the mood to pamper the shit out of you, you're the Goddess. Any other time, we're equal partners. And I might take the lead in certain areas. Like cooking.”

“Like cooking. Most definitely cooking. Poached eggs on a campout? I'm impressed.”

“If I'd brought that can of Hollandaise sauce we would have had Eggs Benedict.” Chrystal grinned.

“Show off.” Kira said between bites and sips of her coffee.

“See? I have the ways where I'm the Goddess, and you have yours. The main one is... your compassion, Kira. You're the kindest person I've ever met. Seriously. Wait. I've got an idea.” Chrystal disappeared under the table for a moment and slipped off Kira's shoes. “Finish your breakfast. I'll eat mine after.” She called up.

“Chrystal, you don't have to-”

“I want to.” She interrupted and began massaging Kira's feet while the woman finished her breakfast, before slipping back up to find that Kira had put a napkin over the top of her eggs and toast to keep them warmer.

“See that? Thinking of me even when I'm on the floor worshiping your feet. This is one of the biggest reasons I love you, Kira.”

“And I love you because you handle all my strange quirks and reluctances.” Kira responded, smiling in the afterglow of a great, albeit short, foot massage as Chrystal dug in to finish her food.

“Reluctances? Can you pluralize that?”

“I just did. So yes. Is it proper? Do we really care?” Kira grinned.

“I don't see any grammar Nazis around.”

“Grammar what, Chrystal?”

“Nazis. Wait, didn't you have Nazis back where you come from?”

“Oh yeah. A small movement of a crazy guy back in the thirties. I think someone assassinated him. Some Jewish guy, I think? Good thing too, the guy had a lot of charisma, like Charles Manson. Things could have went really bad if it took hold. Wait...” Kira was blinking at Chrystal.

“There was no World War Two where you come from?”

“Sure there was. Russia, Japan and Italy tried to take over the world, but a joint effort of the US, the UK and Germany developed the nuke and bombed Leningrad and Hiroshima and they surrendered. Oh man, from that look I guess I need to really catch up on that part of your history here.”

“Uh huh. Majorly different here. You've been here a year and hadn't heard of the Holocost?”

“I have, but I thought it was fiction. I don't watch much TV, and the books I read are usually fiction.”

“Or manga.” Chrystal added.

“Or manga. Okay then, added to the list.”

“Speaking of, Schindler's List should be at the top of it.”

“Okay. Sorry for not knowing about such a big tragic thing. I'm just glad no one called me on it.”

“I'm surprised you haven't been exposed to it, is all, Kira.”

 Kira sighed and looked down a little dejectedly.

“What?” Chrystal prodded, taking Kira's hand across the table.

“I am going to live here the rest of my life. I love you, but I miss so much from home at the same time.”

“Aww, I wish I could help.”

“You already do. So, that's at the top of the list for today maybe? Spend about an hour or so comparing histories if you don't mind? I don't want to look dumber than Paris Hilton when it comes to history.”

“Okay, you know Paris Hilton but not Adolf Hitler. Yeah, we need to make sure you're caught up with the changes.” Chrystal replied.

And for the next hour and a half, with Kira taking notes, that's what they did.

Chapter End Notes:

This chapter exploded out of me and took a left turn at Albuquerque, but I think overall it shows the dynamic between the characters, and explains a little more about Kira's power without a huge infodump.