- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here’s another weird variation inside what is already a weird variation of a story.  In case the names didn’t blatantly give it away, this chapter and the one following it are about alternate reality versions of the characters from Ackbar’s Omega series.

For the record, these chapters were written with his permission.  By permission, I mean that Ackbar, with malice in his cold and dead little heart, literally forced me at gunpoint to do it.  So, I figured I might as well put up my terrified literary efforts for the general public to see.  By the way, if you haven’t read his Omega series before, you are living your life incorrectly, so go fix that now if need be.

Report 5: The Lindon Family, Interview 1: Professor Abby Lindon

            At the behest of some of my superiors, who, to put it lightly, have not always been the most avid fans of my research, I am following up on a contact directly provided to me by an executive in my department for what he called the sake of balance in my study.  Though the content of my interviews remains solely in my possession, the previous locations and subjects of my study were easily discovered by those curious about my efforts, and the decision was reached that I am presenting what could be seen as a biased perspective.  This is something I am not unwilling to concede in certain aspects of the study.  In the interest of keeping an open mind to this viewpoint, then, as well as in the interest of remaining on good terms with those whose checks are larger than mine, I happily agreed to follow up the lead.

            Twenty-year-old Corey Lindon is an undergraduate sophomore pre-medical sciences student.  Four months ago, he was driving home from a night class just after eleven p.m. and taking a corner along a hill at the same time as a driver that had shifted partially into the oncoming lane due to the angle of the road.  Braking in attempt to minimize damage, Corey’s vehicle nevertheless went out of control and smashed into the side of the other car.  Though Corey sustained no permanent injury, the driver of the other vehicle perished after the impact when her car rolled through the protective railing and over the side of the hill.

            Despite the other driver being at fault as well for swerving, it was discovered that Corey’s car had been moving twenty miles in excess of the speed limit at the turn, and theorized based on several careful recreations by the justice department that the loss of life could’ve indeed been avoided if Corey had been observing the limit.

            Since his prosecution, Corey has been living under the Shrink Act’s shrunken house arrest program.  As mandated by the court, his size ranges from one to twelve inches, and he can leave the house three times a week for three hours at a time, though this will be subject to change pending further board reviews.  His size is alterable by any of his family members living in the house, including his father Howard, his stepmother Abigail, and his stepsister Claire.  Based on his positive behavior thus far, after a year of shrunken house arrest has been served, Corey will be returned to normal size on a probationary period wherein he can resume his schooling.  If he shows no signs indicative of further problems, he can remain that way.

            Upon arrival at the Lindon residence, I was greeted by the first interview subject of this report Abigail Lindon, who insisted later on that she be referred to as Abby in my file.  A professor of physics at Andrathoit University for just over a decade now, she’s recently taken on an additional role at the school thanks to it being among the first to integrate the Shrink Act into the disciplinary system; this will be further expounded on in the transcript.  After making greetings, she led me to a sitting area where we were able to begin the conversation.

 

TC: Hello, Professor Lindon.  It’s good to meet you in person finally.

Abby: Good to meet you too.  Could you remind me of your name again?

TC: Taylor.  Howard Taylor.

Abby: That’s right.  My apologies.

TC: No need for apologies.

Abby: It was just the last name I couldn’t remember, actually.  You have the same first name as my husband, so that was easy enough to remember.

TC: How about that.

Abby: It’s too bad he couldn’t be here.  He’s off on a plane somewhere headed to a conference.  He’d have been interested in being present for this too.

TC: I’d have liked to have heard his voice for this as well.  Maybe at the follow-up interview, the timing will work out a little better for everyone.

Abby: I do hope so.

TC: Where, if I may ask, is Corey?

Abby: I believe he’s upstairs with his sister.

TC: Oh, I see. 

Abby: They get along very well.

TC: That’s good.  Does he spend time with her often?

Abby: She sees to it that he does. (laughs) She did miss him so much while he was away at school. 

TC: That’s nice.  I was hoping they’d both be up for an interview as well after you and I have finished?

Abby: Of course.

TC: Excellent.  Now, just so I don’t take up too much of your time, if you’re ready, we can begin.

Abby: All right.

TC: Could you describe your family’s experience with The Shrink Act?

Abby: It’s a somewhat complicated answer.  After this mess that Corey was involved in, it didn’t look like he’d have the chance to serve his sentence here at first.  The court was pushing very hard for a prison sentence.  Surprisingly so, I think, given the accidental circumstances.  So I worked to make sure they all knew how much better off Corey’s learning process and readjustment before returning to independent life would be if he served his time here rather than in a cell.  My sister-in-law Kayla Everett was a big help as well.  You could say she has friends in higher places.  Together we made sure his time would be served here.

TC: If I’m to understand, then, you’re saying that bearing in mind the alternatives, The Shrink Act has been a positive outcome?

Abby: Yes.  Definitely.  It’s allowed us to make sure he can stay safe and healthy while still serving his societal debt.

TC: Still on that point, from a more general perspective, would you mind sharing your thoughts on The Shrink Act?

Abby: I think it’s a positive step in the justice system.  And… I’m sorry, I know this wasn’t part of your question, but it’s important, I think, to understand my position.

TC: No, please, by all means.  Go ahead.

Abby: There’s no call for drawn-out detail here, but the circumstances I grew up in were… well, significantly more difficult than the ones my children are growing up in now.  I’ve been exposed to many a scenario in my life where a measure like The Shrink Act rather than just jail time piled on top of jail time might’ve greatly improved the state of the community at large, as well as its offenders.

TC: I see.  So overall, you see the Act as beneficial.

Abby: I do, yes.

TC: Before we go much further into the main reason for my visit, regarding Corey’s case, there was one other relevant subject I wanted to at least touch on regarding your work at the university.

Abby: Ah, yes, I had a feeling you’d bring this up.

TC: Would you be willing to share a bit about your new position as a disciplinary officer at Andrathoit?

Abby: Of course.  The university was one of the first to adopt the Shrink Act.  The fifth in the nation, if I’m not mistaken?

TC: That sounds right.

Abby: Well, anyway, I had heard about it and only considered becoming an officer at first, but several of my colleagues ended up recommending me.  It was definitely the right choice.  Not only is it rewarding for me to get to work with students one-on-one in their rehabilitation, it’s been a very constructive restructuring of the university’s methodology for handling problems that arise in the student body.

TC: How so?

Abby: Much like with Corey, it allows for a personalized and safe environment in helping correct behavior and fostering personal improvement.  The old system would see them go on probation, and from there it was in the hands of a board to decide whether or not they were let go.  There was no chance for redemption.

TC: But now?

Abby: But now they have the chance to help their case.  They can prove they’re actively trying to make a change in their lives by demonstrating it during disciplinary sessions in their conversations and, more importantly, their behaviors with an officer.  I believe everyone deserves this kind of chance.

TC: Tell me, then, how does the system work in terms of carrying out the sessions?  I spoke to a professor at South Hanenrow University, actually, in one of my previous cases, who outlined it well.

Abby: They were first to use the system, weren’t they?

TC: Yes.  And from what I understood there, structuring of the probation is based largely around when the students have time between academic work to come in.

Abby: That’s much how it is with me.  Students are actually supposed to complete their shrunken sessions during office hours, but I know many of them have hectic schedules, so occasionally I’ll take someone home for the evening, to ensure they have time to meet their other obligations as well.  Not all officers are as lenient, but the way I see it, we don’t want the sessions to derail their efforts as young scholars.

TC: Of course not.  And from there?  How is their time spent?

Abby: Productively.  Often times I’ll have some cleaning for them to do, though depending on their behavior and the reason for their probation, I’ll put together additional lessons that might help them once they get back in a classroom.  These sessions are supposed to be for personal improvement, after all.

TC: Interesting.  And are all cases handled like that?

            Abby shifted almost imperceptibly in her chair, presumably mulling over her answer for an extra instant, though her tone and poise remained in an air of complete confidence.

Abby: Not all.  I answer whatever student behavior I am presented with using an equal consequence.  If more… demonstrative actions are required in order to make a point clearer, then I don’t shy from them.  To do so would be a disservice to the integrity of the law and the students themselves.

            I considered pressing for a little more detail, but sensed not much more would be offered up, and as I still had yet to hear more with regard to Corey Lindon, the main reason for my visit, I continued.

TC: I see.  Thank you for sharing all of that.

Abby: No problem.

TC: Now, getting back, specifically, to your family’s experience with the Shrink Act: could you share the ways in which you’ve adjusted your home life to account for Corey’s sentence?

Abby: Absolutely.  I make no mistake about it: Corey is serving time here, not getting let off the hook for what happened.  I believe in the same principles for my son that I do for my students.  We make sure to take advantage of his time avoided in prison by respecting the decision by the justice system.  Accordingly, we use certain methods to ensure this fact is known well.

TC: What kinds of methods would those be?

Abby: Most of his time during the day is spent helping take care of the house.  Cleaning, dusting, polishing, whatever we can find a way for him to manage at twelve inches tall.  Recently we’ve been experimenting with ways he can help with the cooking too, though of course I don’t let him near any hot stoves at his size.

TC: Of course not.

Abby: He’s not just working through the day, though.  There is recreation time in prison for personal improvement, after all, and I insist on sticking closely to a certain schedule to benefit Corey in whatever ways we can, not just through manual labor.  A full recovery can’t be achieved simply with physical work, after all, which is why The Shrink Act is so much better than jail time.

TC: So his time is not solely used working in the house, then.  What other ways is it spent?

Abby: A variety.  Academically is one.  I hold my children to a high standard of effort, because I know they’re both fully capable of it when they set their minds to their goals.  So, I see little reason why Corey’s education has to be deterred by his time here.  It’s a similar line of thinking from my work as a disciplinary officer, really.

TC: That’s a very positive outlook.  How does Corey continue with his learning?

Abby: He has a tablet that we loaded up with some of the textbooks he was going to use in his next semester courses, as well as some online lesson plans that he can carry out himself through study and completing assignments.  He’ll still take them in person once the sentence is over, but it seemed prudent to be familiar with them ahead of time.

TC: It does indeed.  That actually leads to something else I was going to ask about.  What are Corey’s plans after his sentence is over, exactly?  I know he was a sophomore in college in the science program.

Abby: Yes, that’s correct, and he’s been attending the university for two years.  Medical school will come after he graduates.  He’s going to be a doctor.  Like his father.

            Abby’s answer came with a genuine degree of warmth and pride for Corey.

TC: That’s wonderful.  So as you see it, once Corey’s sentence is served, he’ll return to his education?

Abby: I have every confidence in him.  It matters so much to him, and to us.  This situation has just been… a stumbling block.  Not a wall.

TC: I’m glad to hear it.  Now, I understand you were in possession of a PMRD for disciplinary purposes a number of years before The Shrink Act, is that correct?

Abby: It is, yes.

TC: Was it used often back then?

Abby: I wouldn’t call it often.  Just whenever it was necessary.

TC: How much of your system, just as a parent back then, has carried over to the current situation, where you’re acting not only as a parent but as a warden for a legally mandated shrinking?

Abby: That’s a good question.  I like to think my role as a parent, in terms of helping my children improve themselves, is not terribly distant from my new role of a warden.  The same goes for my work as a disciplinary officer.  I know there are certain negative connotations with a word like “warden,” but I insist on Corey taking his time here seriously.

TC: How were things back then?

Abby: Back when he was a teenager?  On the occasions he’d act up, there would be consequences very similar to the ones he faces here with regard to helping care for the house, though usually only for a day or so, depending on what had happened.  Very little has changed since then; everyone here is held fully accountable for their actions.

TC: Any instances you’d be willing to make example of?

Abby: Well, for one, about three years ago we had to ground him after some… less than mature choices he made for himself, but Howard and I both had to leave town for the weekend.  Claire handled his supervision then.  It was her first time doing so.

TC: Interesting.  And she would’ve been thirteen years old back then, yes?

Abby: Right.  I know it sounds young, but Howard and I have tremendous trust in both of our children.  And as I had suspected, they got along very well, and Corey was diligently cared for.  He may have been embarrassed, as I’m sure he still is from time to time while living here again under our care, but that’s all just part of learning and growing.

            I was tempted to point out the irony of this last word of Abby’s, but decided the context of it might not be taken as innocently as I intended it, so I pressed onward instead.

TC: How has Corey taken to his sentence, then?  Would you say you’ve seen a change in him of any kind?

Abby: Not necessarily a change “in him.”  Overall he’s always been a responsible citizen.  At most, his behavior’s a bit more docile than before, though there are understandable reasons for that.  His personality is still as it was, though.  He’s interested in helping people, and has always had a kind heart.  That’s another reason why I believe The Shrink Act ended up being such a blessing for us, given the alternate options.

TC: How so?

Abby: You hear stories all the time of people damaged by their time in prison that emerged drastically altered from when they entered.  A shell, almost, of their former self.  That’s what’s so wrong with the old system.

TC: Pardon, but you say “old” system.

Abby: Yes?

TC: Are you saying you foresee the Shrink Act eventually replacing prison sentences completely?

Abby: Not entirely, no, but I think it will continue to grow as people realize how much good it’s doing.  We’re already seeing the signs of it through its permeation into respected universities and prominent businesses.  If that trend does indeed bring about a broad change to our justice system, I can’t say I’m opposed.

TC: Fascinating.

Abby: There’s just no chance for rehabilitation in prison like there is here.  It doesn’t so much fix the problem as cripple a single outlet for it.  I realize house arrests aren't viable options in many cases, but there are just as many that don't belong behind bars.  Particularly in Corey’s case, it would’ve broken my heart to see something like that happen.

TC: I understand.  So it’s about correcting a problem rather than altering the entire source.

Abby: Yes.  All we want is to teach a lesson and change the behavior, not change Corey.  We would never want that.

TC: I see.  I thank you so much for sharing.  That almost wraps it up.  One last question: how do you see all this looking in the future?  At the end of this year-sentence, where do things go?  For your family, and for Corey specifically?

            Abby smiled here and considered the question for a moment, crossing her arms, her tone very sincere.

Abby: I fully believe that, going forward, everything that happens will be for the best.

 

Chapter End Notes:

Check back next chapter to hear from Claire and Corey Lindon, and please comment!