- Text Size +

The feeling of Zarena's fur beneath his feet was something else. It was a feeling that had slipped to the back of his mind but never been forgotten. At first he had been quite frightened by the massive sleeper but as time had passed he had become more relaxed and grew to enjoy his time tending to her. Then he had became more responsible and older. He'd been given new tasks and in time it had become difficult to make time to come down and see her not to mention a little strange. Now he was back to the day's of his youth though as he approached her eye and began to gently rub her eye lid. He would need her unknowing cooperation if he was going to put the shaper on her.

Mirin found himself having to contain his anticipation as he watched Mirin tending to Zarena's eye. Normally he would have found himself fidgeting with his hands but he kept them still. He didn't want to risk upsetting his injuries more then they already were. Still, it was a exciting moment and he found himself raising up on his toes several times in an attempt to get a better look. Just waking up a sleeper for feeding was something of a time of excitement as to see such a massive living creature was truly astounding. This went far beyond that though as he knew they'd soon see her in battle. He managed to settle down as he saw Nathan leaning against the side of Zarena's eye and then backing away.

Nathan, “Alright the shaper has been placed. Now we just have to wait for it to supply her with enough energy to begin waking up. Give me a moment to climb down and I'll be right back up.”

As they watched Nathan Joseph had to ask. “I was told that sleepers were in a delicate condition and waking them up the wrong way could kill them.”

Mirin, “You're thinking about sisters who are being punished a sleeper is a different story to an extent. Put simply the larger a sister is the less likely she is to experience side affects whenever she wakes up. A sister who's body has gone down to the size of a child's is in a very delicate condition indeed. Zarena though well we're just careful about how we wake her up so she doesn't wake up thinking only of food and mistake some of us for it.”

Joseph, “I see. So what are you going to say whenever she first wakes up?”

Mirin, “Well I'm planning on Nathan doing all the talking whenever she revives. I just hope she doesn't stand up too quickly or she's going to break our ceiling.”

While everyone was watching Zarena Dan glanced up at Mina who was stand beside him. He reached up and wrapped his arm around her thigh to get her attention when she looked down at him he had a smile. “Perhaps before this is all over you'll be that big as well. Actually, I bet you could get even bigger.”

A large grin formed on Mina's face as she reached down and slipped one of her hands underneath Dan. She didn't bother asking as she lifted him up so that they were eye level his face close to hers. “Would you like to see me that big?”

Dan, “It would be something else. After all you're even bustier then she is.”

For a moment Mina was made to chuckle and lowered Dan so that he was closer to her chest. She then held him against her breasts while bringing her head down closer to his ear. “If I was that big you might get lost between them and not be able to find your way out.”

“I can think of some other places I might get lost.”

“Oh!” Before continuing Mina brought her tail around and completely engulfed Dan's head with the tip of her tail. “Like maybe in there.”

Dan was made to sputter and struggle as he tried to remove Mina's tail. Whenever he finally managed to do so with her blessing he had a wide grin on his face and reached up so that he could hold her neck. He remained in Mina's grasp even as they both turned to look at Zarena once again.

Joseph took in a deep breath and began to step back. As he did so though he felt his head bump into something rather warm and for a moment soft. His head turned upward and he found himself looking at the underside of a familiar sets of breasts. For a moment he thought Maria had moved closer to him but then realized his change in position. He had been moving closer to her the entire time.

Maria, “Is something wrong Joseph?”

Joseph, “No underside of Maria's boobs I'm alright. This situation is just a little unsettling.”

Maria didn't bother hiding her chuckle as she placed a hand against Joseph's chest and then pressed him against herself. “It's something else alright. There is always the fear that the sleeper will wake up in a poor mood and do something we'd all be made to regret. That's one reason why there is more then one sleeper. If one of them ever went out of control we would need to wake up two more quickly to deal with her as well as retreat to the citadel.”

Joseph, “I've never been to the citadel. Do you believe it could hold against her?”

“It's hard to say but it would be our best bet.” As Joseph went silent Maria removed her hand from his chests but wrapped her tail around him. He seemed to relax a bit.

***************************************************************************************************

There was an annoying tingling in her toes and fingers a tingle that had become increasingly noticeable as time went on. Unconsciously Zarena began to flex and move her toes and fingers trying to get the tingle to go away. Instead of going away though the tingle seemed to move up the rest of her body making it very hard for her to stay still. She began to shift her legs and arch her back in an attempt to get the feeling to stop. At the same time she was becoming more aware of the light around her and was beginning to understand the sounds that she was hearing. Her mouth felt rather on the dry side and her lips parted for a moment releasing a long sigh before being smacked together in an attempt to remove the dryness. She shifted slightly and began to roll onto her side.

Every movement the sleeper made could be felt throughout the heavy stone of the chamber and it brought everyone's attention back to her. The sight of her rolling onto her side actually brought a chuckle from Nathan as he realized that she was trying to remain asleep. Clearly she was having trouble doing this though as the moment she rolled onto her side her right leg began to rub up and down on the left in an attempt to remove an itch. It was quite a sight watching her fidget about and he risked a glance to the others who all seemed as focused as he was.

Mirin, “Nathan do you believe we should try to wake her up?”

Nathan, “No. It's best if we let her wake up on her own.”

Zarena gave a low grown as her body continued to encourage her to get up and move. No matter how she turned she couldn't get comfortable and thought began to make its way back into her mind. She didn't remember where she was but she knew that she  was laying down for the moment. She could hear sound and that sound was finally being recognized as voices some of them where familiar. The familiar voices soothed her as did a familiar scent though she couldn't place a name to the smell. This soothing actually made it harder for her to wake up until she noticed something strange. The scent seemed to be rather close to her face.

A long yawn escaped Zarena as she opened her mouth and let her eyes open ever so slightly. As she did so Joseph could see that her eyes were a deep blue made all the brighter by the color of her fur. For a moment they remained only half open and then they opened completely as if recognition was finally setting in and she brought herself to a seated position the ground creaking beneath her massive weight.  Both arms were reached out before her as she stretched her legs pushed against the ground and her toes and fingers spread extending her claws as she did so.

Nathan, “Happy waking Zarena.”

The familiar voice with no name once again touched her ears and Zarena turned her head to look at the walk way. A few of the faces she saw were familiar but she wasn't sure if they were her old friends or the children of those friends. One thing that did strike her as strange immediately was how small they appeared to be. She knew they weren't small enough as she noted the rather remarkable difference between them and the brothers that stood with them. She hadn't seen her sisters so large in a long time yet they appeared small. She realized what this meant and looked towards the group. “We're under attack from a very noteworthy enemy if you're waking me up.” 

Joseph was quite surprised when he heard Zarena speak as was everyone else apparently. Many had expected rolling thunder but her voice was soft with a lovely melody to it. She seemed more likely to chirp then actually talk. Was it a way of talking she had learned before becoming a sleeper to seem less threatening? It was a question that perhaps only Zarena knew.

Nathan, “Yes we are under attack and we need your help in dealing with this threat. How are you feeling though?”

Instead of responding right away Zarena reached down and placed a hand on her stomach. She closed her eyes and began to move her head from side to side while lightly humming as if letting herself be lost in thought. Her tail flicked across the ground a few times and then her eyes opened up once again. “I'm feeling alright. I'm not as hungry as I was the last time I was woken up actually. Strange normally the hustle of moving enough food in here to awaken me gently causes me to wake up before I feel this full but.” For a moment Zarena went silent and took in a deep breath noting the scent in the air and looking around herself. “Why don't I see any food?”

Nathan, “We used a different means to wake you up. On the side of your right eye and under your skin just slightly we placed a shaper which is currently channeling energy into your body. Can you feel it?”

Zarena, “Mm yes I believe I can. Yes I can now that I think about it. You clamped it in place. I take it the clamp is strong.”

Nathan, “As strong as we could make it. We believe the shaper is sturdy enough that you don't have to worry about breaking it or removing it as long as you don't try to do so intentionally.”

Zarena, “That is. Very impressive I have to say. I take it that this energy source has only so much power stored though. So where and who is this enemy so that I may deal with them?”

Nathan, “We don't know their exact location yet and no you're not attached to a battery system. Rather it's more like you're attached to a generator though I don't even know if that is the proper description. A generator that hasn't even been brought up to full power and was made by these two.” As he spoke Nathan indicated Dan and Joseph who was standing near their respective ladies. “This is Dan and Joseph and the ladies you see standing with them are Mina and Maria.”

For a moment Zarena wasn't certain what to say as she looked at the two men and two sisters. The ideal that this wasn't some stored energy source that would soon run dry was actually taking a moment to sink in. She didn't want to appear rood though. “That is quite remarkable! Then have you two managed to make your way into the citadel and perhaps regain some of our makers lost knowledge?”

Both men weren't certain what to say. Technically Zarena was no higher ranked then a matron who wasn't much higher ranked then a keeper for the most part. However, Zarena's size told another story about her rank and it took a moment for the men to compose themselves as those massive eyes focused on them. Yet the entire time Zarena remained silent and simply observed waiting patiently for the answer.

Dan, “No. We haven't managed to go into the citadel yet beyond where other brothers have reached. The creation that is to thank for this energy source was Joseph's work and it's aided us a great deal. It's what provides the energy for this system and has allowed our sisters to grow as much as they have.”

Zarena, “That is remarkable. You must be quite a talented young man. So are all sisters feeding on the same energy I am now?”

Dan, “No. You see what you're enjoying now is a byproduct of what the source was actually meant to provide. The others have been enjoying the fruits of the primary source and I mean fruits literally.”

Now Zarena turned her gaze completely on Joseph. The notion that this was simply a byproduct of what he had truly developed was quite staggering. “Would you mind telling me what this source is? I have to admit I'm quite curious.”

While before Dan had been answering the questions now Zarena was speaking directly to Joseph and it took a moment for this to register. It was something like a mountain suddenly deciding to have a few words with you. “Ah sure. Sure. Well the fruit Dan is telling you about grows from a tree I developed I named the life bloom due to the healing properties of the fruit that grows upon it.”

“It would seem I have missed out on a lot. I suppose we should return to business though. Um oh my.” For a moment Zarena felt herself begin to blush as she turned back to Nathan and Mirin. “It's clear you're the two ranking brothers here but I didn't think to ask your names.”

Nathan, “My name is Nathan and he is Mirin. The remaining keeper with us is Flora.

Zarena, “Well I am pleased to meet you all. Nathan why have you woken me up so soon if you don't know where the enemy is? Surely you know sleepers aren't to be awake for any longer then needed.”

Nathan, “We weren't certain of the exact time we would need you to become active so we chose to wake you up early. The decision was made based on your energy needs and our current energy system.”

Zarena, “I see. Well it does seem that you've gained a greater amount of resources since I went to sleep. I would like to stretch my legs now though I would appreciate it if you would come with me Nathan. You're clearly the eldest here and I have a great many questions I would like to have answered. Plus you're the one I feel most comfortable speaking to. I take it you tended to me while I was asleep.”

Nathan, “In my youth yes.”

Zarena, “Well it would appear you did a very good job. That or you cleaned me up very nicely before waking me up.” A slight chuckle escaped Zarena as s he looked at the group. “I often wonder if you all truly keep me clean while I sleep or if you just let the dust build up until you need to wake us up so we think you are.”

Nathan, “Oh if you want I can go over the day to day cleaning activities. I still remember them quite well.”

Zarena, “That may be amusing.” As she spoke Zarena placed her hands on the ground and began to shift about so that her legs where underneath her in a kneeling position. She then reached up and placed her hands against the ceiling. “I take it you've kept the exit clear.”

Nathan, “Clear of anything we're concerned about.”

Zarena, “Good.” As she spoke Zarena began to push up on the ceiling. A low roar resounded throughout the area as thousands of roots and bonds were forced to snap as the roof began to lift off letting in the sun light. As the light began to fill the room Zarena was made to smile. She had been asleep the entire time but part of her still missed the sun light. As she lifted the roof though she was careful to keep it steady so that nothing slipped off and fell upon those watching her. With the ceiling held above her head Zarena shifted her legs and began to stand up to her full height the room itself only coming up to her waste as she got the full length of her legs under herself.

Pera took in a deep breath as she watched the ground rising and then the massive figure rose up from the opening. She could feel Allen taking hold of her as they both found themselves looking up at the massive sleeper. It was Allen who spoke though, “They really did it they woke up a sleeper.”

Pera, “Yeah. She's really big. I mean really big.”

With the ceiling held above her head Zarena took a moment to look around and noted a rather large group of brothers and sisters gathered to watch her. She gave a smile and brought her tail up quickly wagging it back and forth in a waving motion. The crowd seemed to get what she was doing as they began to wave back. “Hello brothers and sisters I'm happy to see so many of you are doing well and could come out to see me.”

Joseph, “Now that is something else. I really don't know if the energy system can provide enough power to keep someone that large active.” Even while Joseph was speaking his eyes were working their way up Zarena's massive form. It was one thing to see her laying down or setting up. It was quite another to see her actually standing and it was a fairly frightening moment especially when he considered that those muscles were even stronger then their size implied.

Nathan had felt a rush of excitement as he watched Zarena standing up. Of all the people there he had the most experience with Zarena yet it was still so limited. Now he would have a chance to speak to her and learn about her even though time would be truly limited. He was grateful for the chance and for all the work Joseph and Dan had put into the system that was currently sustaining her. “This may provoke our enemy to action sooner.”

Mirin, “Perhaps but then again it might inspire them to all flee the forest.”

Once she had set the ceiling down Zarena took in a deep breath and looked around at the forest for a moment. The trees around her chamber had changed a fair bit since she'd last seen them. She wondered if anyone had noticed the change in plant life or not. Whenever she's first gone to sleep they were older trees taller but more brittle in appearance. These trees were clearly younger and ready to stand for another few hundred years. Those she had set the ceiling down upon would have that cut short though. She didn't pay this much attention though as she turned her gaze down towards the group and bent at the knees extending her right hand. “I take it there is nothing against me walking around.”

Nathan, “No. You're free to explore the forest as you wish while you're awake.”

Zarena, “Wonderful! Now please climb on Nathan.”

Nathan didn't say good bye to those around him or wait another second. He climbed over the guardrail to the walkway and leaped onto Zarena's extended fingers. He didn't care that the show of agility went against the notion of a fragile old man that he often portray. He was more interested in speaking with the massive sleeper while he had a chance. He was glad that he remained on his knees though as Zarena straitened up and began to climb out of the room. The sudden change in altitude would have been enough to send him to his knees.

Once Zarena began to walk away Dan glanced down at Mirin, Mina having yet to set him down. “So Mirin is that how waking up a sleeper normally goes?”

Mirin, “I have no ideal. I kind of doubt she just wants to talk to Nathan though after all just because she was sleeping it doesn't mean her hormones haven't been building up.”

Dan, “Do you think he realizes that?”

Mirin, “Honestly it wouldn't surprise me. Still, I'm sure for now though they'll just want to speak. Mina, Flora before we depart I have to ask something. How did the meeting with the other sisters go as far as handling me?”

Flora, “That didn't really get very far. There was a lot of annoyance and anger and then our bubbles were popped and few knew what to say. Just don't bring it up Mirin that was some bitter medicine you gave us earlier and we're all not ready to talk about it yet.”

Mirin, “I see. Well at least you see it as medicine.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan seemed to be having trouble settling down though it didn't appear to be due to discomfort. Rather he seemed to be having trouble deciding where on her hand he would like to sit. He was constantly moving about and changing his position though his eyes kept looking up towards her face. Zarena felt it was cute and was made to grin as she watched him. There was things she wanted to know though. “So how long has it been since I was last revived.”

Nathan, “It's been forty three years since you were last woken up.”

Zarena, “Mm I believe that you were tending to me before that though. I remember a young brother watching me whenever I was last woken up to eat. A cute little fellow that didn't seem to be able to take his eyes of me while I ate but was too nervous to step out where I could see him entirely.”

Unlike a sister a brother didn't have fur to cover his blush. As Zarena talked Nathan felt his skin warming up and he was made to grin. “I'm surprised that you noticed.”

Zarena allowed a slight chuckle to escape her as she looked down at Nathan. “Yeah. I would have said something to you but I was going to be going to sleep again soon and well I. I guess I didn't want to risk getting attached. Even now I'm kind of reluctant to speak with too many people.”

Nathan, “Well I'm glad you decided to talk to me instead of going off and setting alone.”

Zarena, “It was hard to resist after what I learned when I woke up. So you've really come a long way in the quest for a new energy source. I bet the sisters that gave birth to those two is very proud. Why didn't I see them there?”

Nathan, “Actually, those two aren't naturally born brothers. Joseph came to us only very recently and Dan only joined us a few years earlier. Dan was actually one of the claimed for quite some time. The plant Joseph mentioned was actually developed for military use in another land.”

Zarena couldn't hide the look of surprise on her face as she stopped moving and looked down at Nathan. “That is. That's a little frightening don't you believe? I mean that level of magical development could mean that the outside world is beginning to relearn what our creators once knew.”

Nathan, “I don't believe you have anything to worry about. What Joseph did was remarkable however I've seen the methods he used. His genius isn't in the methods that he used but rather in the way he combined them. He found a new way to use the tools that millions have used before him and because of that he made his way to somewhere remarkable.”

Zarena, “You sound like you respect him a lot.”

Nathan, “I do but not just because of his alchemy. He has proven himself to be a wonderful brother. Zarena I've been wanting to ask. While you sleep do you dream?”

Zarena, “Yes we dream. At least I know that I do however my connection with the shadow realm is stronger then most sisters so that could influence my dreams or the likelihood of me dreaming.”

Nathan, “What do you dream about?”

A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she looked away from Nathan for a moment while she began walking. “Oh all sorts of things really some of it I believe you all cause. I've had several dreams in which I was laying down in the warm sun my feet extended into a river feeling the water run over my pads while a few brothers gently rubbed my tummy. I had that one quite often though which I suspect is due to me being cleaned.”

There was a grin from ear to ear on Nathan as he listened to Zarena. “It makes me glad that you've had such comfortable dreams.”

Zarena, “Yeah it's one of the things that makes becoming a sleeper easier. They are some nightmares though. I don't have them often but now that I'm fully awake I wonder about them. Most often the nightmare involves me waking up and finding the entire village empty. I search for everyone and go to the citadel only to find it empty. I search the forest, I search the nesting areas and finally I find the orcs or dryads or druids or something else and I ask them what happened to you all. They look at me and tell me that I'm the first one of my kind that they've ever seen. Fortunately those nightmares don't last too long.”

Nathan, “That must be horrible.”

Zarena, “It's frightening but the worse dreams are when I wake up and I go searching for everyone and they are no orcs or dryads or nymphs or even humans. The world is just empty and I'm all alone. I try returning to the forest and see if I can dig up the other sleepers but there is no way that I can find them. In the end I realize that the world is empty and I'm alone. Those are the ones in which I truly cry.”

Nathan, “Do these dreams come often?”

Zarena, “No and at times they have the most humerus way of ending. I remember one dream in which I was setting in the forest crying and then all of a sudden I felt something playing with my finger. I look down and there is a little boy making such a fuss over my claw. I don't know what to say so I extend it for him worried that he may get cut but he doesn't go away. Finally I can't resist myself and I begin to extend and retract my claw making him fight me to keep it extended.”

Nathan, “How do you do it Zarena? How do you go to sleep again and again knowing that you'll never form any lasting bonds?”

Zarena, “I do have lasting bonds though even if they aren't of the sort some of you have. I have a bond with all of you. I'm your protector and it makes me happy knowing that you can come to me whenever you're threatened by a power that you can't handle on your own. I may not have a bond with any one of you that will last but I have a bond with everyone of you and that I cherish. Don't get confused Nathan I have nightmares and some of them happen more then once but often my dreams are quiet and peaceful and happy. Just look at the good care you've all given me.  Even though none of you really know me you take such good care of me while I'm asleep.”

There was no immediate response from Nathan but he began to rub his hand against the little portion of Zarena's palm he could reach. “Thanks for sacrificing so much to protect us.”

Zarena, “You're welcome it isn't all bad though. Whenever I lay down to sleep I can't help but think of my sisters and how they must be handling their hunger. It's been a long time since I last felt it but I can still remember those times. I can remember setting around trying to behave normally while the whole time my hunger clawed at my mind. It made my temper shorten and focus hard to hold.”

Nathan, “I've thought of that at times. I know that I don't do as well when I'm hungry and our sisters are always hungry pretty much. What will they be like when that hunger ends though?”

Zarena, “They might reveal aspects of themselves that you haven't imagined yet.”

Nathan took a moment to himself to look at Zarena. He knew his next words might offend but they wouldn't stay in. “I feel like this is the first time I've truly spoken with a sister though I talk to them often. I know they are there when they speak with me but it is always the sister, me and their hunger it's never just the two of us. I can't help but think the hunger may cloud their judgment and make it hard for them to truly speak their minds.”

Zarena, “Nathan it does. You don't live with a constant hunger like theirs without losing part of yourself.”

Since her awakening this was the first time Nathan had noticed Zarena beginning to frown. Clearly this wasn't something she liked to think about. “I'm sorry.”

Zarena, “Don't feel that way you shouldn't. All you've done is spoken the truth. I know that I couldn't handle the responsibility of being a sleeper and having to deal with the hunger at the same time. I said that the hunger shortened by temper but in truth it shortens all our tempers and lowers our tolerance. It makes causing others pain more enjoyable then what it should be because in that moment we can share our suffering with someone else. It draws out the crueler and more self serving aspects of our nature and forces them to the surface and we must control them.”

Nathan, “You're all so kind though. To think that you're so kind even in your darker moments is something else.”

Zarena, “Well I'm glad you believe so but come now Nathan. Surely you don't believe that the Luvarians would have developed a species with such powerful bodies and predatory instincts to protect them and not given them a very loving disposition for those they're to protect? Especially considering that we have free will.”

Nathan, “I suppose that would be rather foolish. So you're saying that once your hunger ends your desire to hunt will go down?”

Zarena, “Oh quite a bit. Animals will quit looking quite so tasty and start looking cuter for the most part. It'll become harder for them to convince themselves to go in for the kill. Have you taken the time to examine the hunting habits of your sisters lately?”

Nathan, “We've been a little too busy.”

Zarena, “Once this is over take a moment to look at how often they go hunting and see how much it has changed. I bet you'll find that they're hunting less and what they are hunting tends to be more dangerous. When you're hungry everything taste better after all so you want to eat more.”

Nathan, “That should be interesting. So are they any downsides?”

Zarena, “Wellllll” A slight giggle escaped Zarena as she looked down at Nathan who was looking up at her with the same eye's he had when he was a child. She couldn't help but think he looked cute despite his advanced age. “They are some things that you might not care for as much. You see the larger we become the more fragile you brothers tend to look but becoming larger and more powerful is part of ending our hunger. Then when you diminish our hunger causing our predatory drive to weaken our maternal drive tends to become much stronger. Those things considered the desire to protect becomes much stronger.”

Now Nathan was grinning again, “Are you serious?”

Zarena, “Yes! I am very serious.”  An amused giggle escaped Zarena as Nathan was made to jump. “I can remember my time as a smaller sister. There was a desire to protest back then but it was always competing with the desire to eat. The Luvarians did a wonderful job of conditioning us to protect though as the desire to protect always won out whenever the situation involved life or death of a community member. At least it did with me. As I began to grow though the hunger faded and the desire to protect became stronger and stronger. Then I noticed how delicate everyone looked and I knew I had to protect you all. Knowing that whenever I lay down to sleep I was doing to protect everyone it helped ease the burden of knowing whenever I next woke a few of my friends would be dead and every time after that it would be the same way.”

Nathan,  “Is that why you're normally so quiet when you wake up?”

Zarena, “Yes. I don't know why I'm talking to you so much right now really. I suppose I should have just asked my questions and told you all to leave while I wait for the threat to reveal itself. When I saw you though and remembered you I didn't want to do that despite the pain it may cause.”

Before Nathan could comment he was hit by a sudden wave of sickness and would have been sent rolling if Zarena's hadn't shut her fingers around him. For a moment he lost his sense of direction and when he looked up he found that Zarena's had once again turned her gaze down towards him though this time her expression was different. She was lightly nibbling on her lower lip and seemed to be giving him a questioning look as if she wasn't sure of herself. How such a powerful being couldn't be sure of herself was a strange thought but that was the look she gave him. “Yes Zarena?”

Zarena, “Nathan I'm not sure if there is a subtle way to ask this question but I would like to know. While I'm allowed some extra time to enjoy myself would you like to explore this body of mine while I'm actually awake to participate with?”

The sudden stop had been quite a shock for Nathan but the question was a true bomb shell. Nathan took in a deep breath as he found himself looking up at the massive sleeper and felt his skin warming up again. “I have wondered what it would be like to have your permission and know that you're watching and remembering. Are you sure you wouldn't want to find a younger brother then me though?”

An amused giggle came from Zarena as she lifted Nathan so that he was eye level. “You can't fool me Nathan my eyes show me more then most. You're not nearly as weak as you let on and I remember you jumping over that guardrail. Your body is still in functioning order and then some. Besides I wonder what this will feel like against certain parts of me.” As she spoke Zarena brought up her free hand and extended her claw moving the dull edge so that it brushed against Nathan's beard.

When ones existence was maintained around sleeping and killing it seemed that they had to take advantage of other forms of pleasure whenever the situation arose. The question had been sudden and Nathan still wished to come to know Zarena better but with no ideal of how much time he could spend with her he didn't want to pass this chance up. Just as importantly though he didn't know how he would handle another brother laying with her.

Zarena, “Nathan. Nathan!” For a moment Zarena went silent as Nathan was made to jump and look up at her. “You went silent for a moment there. Was that too soon?”

Nathan, “In most situation yes it would have been but Zarena I don't know you as well as I believe I should before such decisions are made though what I do know about you I love. However, this isn't an ordinary situation when we don't know how long until you have to go off to battle then sleep again. I hope that you don't have to sleep again though.”

Zarena, “It would be a pleasant surprise but you seemed to hold more then hope when you said that.”

Nathan, “I don't know when you'll have to sleep again and I don't know how long it will take but the life bloom isn't complete yet. The energy you're feeding from now is due only to our current crop and it's still growing rapidly. I don't know what the final result will be but perhaps you won't have to sleep for another fifty years after this. That isn't the only discovery which has been made. Zarena this is an exciting time and I've glad I have lived long enough to see it. Even if you do have to sleep perhaps.”

Zarena, “Nathan stop. Let's not talk of that now. Hope is a wonderful thing and every time I lay down and see how well my brothers and sisters have been doing it grows. However, don't build me up too high.”

Nathan, “That is probably for the best. So where would you like to go? Would you like to return to your room?”

Zarena, “No. I have somewhere else in mind somewhere a little more private. At least as much privacy as someone like me can have.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria, “Joseph are you alright?”

Joseph, “Huh?”

Maria, “Are you alright? You've been quiet since Zarena left and you've had a strange look on your face. What's going on in that head of yours?”

Joseph, “Is that how big one of you must become so that you no longer feel your hunger?”

Now it was Maria's turn to go silent as she looked at Joseph. It was a strange question but what made it stranger was the intensity in his eyes. “Yes Joseph. At least that's a rough estimate. A sleeper is a sister who has been allowed to grow until she no longer feels hunger but rather only must eat to sustain herself and repair her body. Any attempts to push a sleeper beyond that point has all failed but Zarena is one of the larger ones.”

Joseph, “For such a massive life form to survive she must use a massive amount of energy. When I consider how high performance the body of every sister is that massive amount of energy grows to the point that I can't even imagine and yet all of you want to achieve that stature and your first leader hoped to grant it to you. What kind of energy system was he working on that he believed could achieve such results and is it even possible to finish it?”

Maria, “We don't know what his exact intentions were but we don't all have to grow to that size right away. We're all grateful for what you've done to ease our hunger especially me.”

Instead of responding right away Joseph stopped walking and looked down at the ground. He closed his eyes for a moment and found himself slipping into his own thoughts. “I want to and all of your brothers want to free you from your hunger. However, this entire time they've all known the mountain they were trying to climb and yet they've continued to struggle up it instead of saying that's enough. I want to get you to the top of that mountain to though. I want to get you all there but especially you Maria but I don't know if it can be done.”

Before speaking Maria moved so that she was standing behind Joseph. She placed a gentle hand on his back nearly covering both of his shoulders as she did so. “Joseph, don't try to climb that mountain all by yourself you have others. Even if we don't reach the top within our life time we're stilling marching up it. We'll be free from our hunger one day.”

Joseph, “Once this is all over Maria I'm going to resume my studies of your ability to use mystic energy. The more I think about it the less likely I believe that anyone energy system could provide you all with what you require. However, perhaps there is a method that you can each provide for yourself. Even if you can't all provide everything you need even a few steps further up that mountain would help.”

Maria, “Now you have the right ideal.” For a moment Maria started to bend down to kiss Joseph but instead she placed a hand under his rear and lifted him up turning him as she did so. Once he was at eye level with her she brought him forward and pressed her lips against his completely engulfing them. As they kissed Maria took in a deep breath inhaling Joseph's scent and further committing it to a memory that was already engrained deep within her. She knew that she would never forget Joseph's scent for as long as she lived.

Once the kiss finally broke Joseph had to take in a deep breath as he looked into Maria's eyes. “You're beautiful and the bigger you are the more beauty there is.”

Maria, “Thank you. Perhaps soon I'll be promoted to keeper and allowed to grow even larger. That way you have even more to explore you handsome man you.”

Now Joseph was grinning again though it was a goofy grin as he looked at Maria. “I swear it's strange to hear that coming from those lips. I never imagined myself as particularly handsome and if someone had told me I would end up with a beauty like you I would have thought they were nuts. Well that or that they were telling me I would end up with a gold digger.”

Maria, “A gold digger?”

Joseph, “It means a woman who is only with a man due to his wealth. Her love for him is pretty much based entirely on how much money he can give her to spend.”

Maria, “Why are they called gold diggers though? I always thought humans considered mining to be very hard.”

Joseph, “Not whenever she's mining it from an easy mark like a wealthy man who's too foolish to realize that he's being mined.”

After a moment of silence Maria gave a shrug and shifted Joseph's position slightly so that he was held against her chest and she had freed up her left arm. With her arm freed up Maria broke into a sprint carrying Joseph back to their home. “So Joseph are you going to begin working on more shapers now that Zarena is awake?”

Joseph, “No. Others can take care of making the shapers I have something else that I would like to look into to be honest. Maria do you believe you could take me to the citadel?”

Now Maria was made to slow as she looked at Joseph. “Joseph, why do you want to go to the citadel? We have all the books we can reach and other material copied and stored in the library.”

Joseph, “Are you sure of that Maria? My experiment with you and your ability to use magic items at least has left me wondering if their search wasn't as detailed as it needs to be. I would really like to see the citadel for myself.”

Maria, “Joseph I can't take you to the citadel on my own. I don't have that authority but I can speak with my mother and Mina if you really want to go. If you can convince them you have a true reason for wanting to see the citadel and go inside of it I'm sure they'll allow it. If you and Dan go together it would help a lot though.”

Joseph, “Could you take me to speak with them then?”

Maria, “Sure.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena, “Do you like it?”

Nathan took in a deep breath as he found himself looking out towards the ocean. The warm sea air struck his face and he looked up towards Zarena's smiling face. “How did you find this spot?”

Zarena, “I found it back whenever I was a matron and exploring the forest. This seemed like an ideal spot to have some private time back then and it still works quite well now.” As she spoke Zarena lifted Nathan so that he could look behind her.

Currently there was a massive cliff to Zarena's back which as long as she was setting rose up to shoulder height to her. A small strip of land just slightly larger then a sleeper rested beneath the cliff though it would most likely be underwater when the tide began to come in. It was wonderfully isolated, surrounded on all sides and nearly a death trap to anyone who couldn't endure the waves or climb up the cliff once the tides began to roll in. This made it ideal for a matron or even a sleeper apparently. “Has it changed since you were last here?”

Zarena, “The water has taken more of the cliff since my last visit. That's only to be expected though and it just means there is more beach to enjoy.” As she spoke Zarena settled down and extended her legs so that her head slipped below the level of the cliff. She brought her left hand up and gently ran her index finger against Nathan who responded by leaning into her finger and giving it as firm of a kiss as he could manage. He had learned in his time with keepers and even matrons that firm tended to work better then gentle when with such a lady.  “So you've been exploring my naked body for how many years while you tended to me? How about you let me see just how good of care my sisters have taken care of you.”

Nathan, “Okay but let's not talk about this too much.” As Nathan spoke he removed a few clasp from his robe and let them slide to the ground. Underneath he wore some simple trousers and a shirt the shirt he wasted no time removing revealing some very noteworthy arms and a toned chest though his abdominal muscles were hidden behind a slight belly. 

A low per came from Zarena as she looked at Nathan. Her finger lowered and she let her claw extended so to run the backside of the talon against Nathan's stomach. “There is some nice tone behind there. So do you have as much stamina as you appear to?”

With Zarena's claw so close Nathan couldn't help but think how dull it looked compared to what it should be. The next time she woke up he would insure that was fixed if he was still alive. “Well the sisters I have been with seem to forgive or overlook the slight pudge thanks to it. Actually, I think you tend to enjoy greater stamina in your guys even if it means them having a bit of a stomach.”

Zarena, “Mm I do.”

Nathan, “Just keep in mind that I still only have the stamina of a human.”

Zarena, “Well that's fair. Now how about you show me the rest.” As she spoke Zarena's claw left Nathan's stomach and pressed against the top of his trousers in doing so pulling them down slightly.

Instead of dropping his pants Nathan took hold of Zarena's finger and lifted up on it. She obliged by moving her finger until it was level with his face. Once it was level and the claw drew back inside of her finger Nathan leaned forward and gave the tip of Zarena's massive finger another kiss. Instead of stopping at one though he proceeded to give either side of her finger as well as the top and base a kiss each time noting how her fur tickled his face and taking note of her scent. “I believe I would rather have you remove them.”

Zarena, “Oh? Aren't you scared that I might tear them?”

Nathan, “Well perhaps you will but if that's the case then I believe I should be more worried you might break me. I've learned a while back that when dealing with a sister who hasn't received any attention for some time it's best to move slowly as one may.”

***************************************************************************************************

Flora took in a deep breath as she looked at her daughter. Her question hadn't been what she had expected that was true. “Well I suppose we won't learn anything new if everyone is kept away from the citadel and at times we do need to try things. Your primary project is finished for now with the awakening of Zarena or at least your involvement is done. You've also proven yourself a very different thinker then the other brothers which may help you see something different. Dan you also have different eyes then rest of us. However, Joseph you must realize that most who are allowed to enter the citadel are rank eight or nine.”

Joseph, “I know Flora. However, what's the harm in me going now? If I don't find anything new then I have done no harm and if I do find something then we'll have the knowledge all the sooner.”

Flora, “That is true but Mina give me a hand here.”

Mina had been silent while Flora had been speaking and clearly thinking. Her gaze turned towards Dan several times but when Flora spoke to her she looked to the group. “Flora you and I could be considered rank 8 so we have permission to visit the citadel whenever we think we've found something. Sure Joseph and Dan are only rank sevens but they've done more then most rank eights already and we both trust them. I'm willing to carry the responsibility for any damage they may cause while on their visit how about you.”

Flora, “Oh this isn't fun. Okay I too will carry that responsibility but Joseph Dan. Don't give me any reason to regret this choice. Dan you do realize that Joseph will need you to go as well just to lend some weight to this visit right?”

Dan gave a quick nod. “Yeah and to be honest I want to see the inside of the citadel myself. I've been before but those visits were so short. Joseph what are you looking for though? You know we're going to need an official reason.”

Joseph, “I want to see exactly what material told the brothers of old that the sisters could not use magic. If there is anything saying that I believe that what's found in the library might have a translation error.”

Dan, “Well that sounds like a good enough reason to me considering your findings. Though there may be another problem Joseph. Not all the tomes in the citadel are written in the same language as we read.”

Maria, “Don't worry about that! I can read the ancient language.”

Both Joseph and Dan found themselves turning to look at Maria who had a wide grin on her face. It was Joseph who spoke though. “When did you learn that?”

Maria, “I began learning about three weeks after I woke up from my punishment and realized how fast I was. Everything was moving so slowly around me that I nearly went nuts so I started working on other things. I believe I surprised everyone whenever they realized how fast I was learning though.”

Joseph, “Well you sure surprised us. How long did it take you to learn to read their language?”

Maria, “It took a few weeks during which I would devote a few hours a day to studying.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she noted Joseph and Dan's expressions. By now her tail had began to flick back and forth happily wagging as she grinned at the two of them. It was rare she had a chance to surprise Joseph with her intelligence and she couldn't pass this chance up.

Dan, “Well then I guess we have our translator. Shall we depart?”

For a moment everyone went silent but turned to Flora. The fact that Mina wasn't speaking up actually made her frown slightly as this was one call she didn't want to make. “Oh fine then! Just be careful once we get inside and make sure you don't do anything that might set off the citadel protectors.”

***************************************************************************************************

Nathan held on as firmly as he could to Zarena's upper lip while his feet pushed against her lower having actually slipped slightly into her mouth. Every time she would exhale a rush of moist hot air would hit him causing his trousers to stick to him. He leaned forward and pressed his lips against Zarena's upper lips but instead of stopping at a kiss he opened his mouth and bit down on as much of the flesh as he could. This extra stimulation seemed to appeal to her as her lips responded. His grip began to fail though as Zarena began to part her massive mouth and he looked down into the void past teeth long and sharp enough to be impaled on to a throat that could swallow him down entirely.

Zarena had no intentions of allowing Nathan to fall down her throat. Rather as her lips and teeth parted her massive tongue reached up out of her mouth and pressed against Nathan soaking him in her saliva. For a moment she pushed up with enough force to lift him from her lips. As she did so though she felt his hands take hold of her tongue and she gave an excited giggle. While she had planned to let Nathan come to rest upon her lips once again she opened her mouth entirely and brought her tongue and Nathan into the massive void. Without a single word she closed her lips and teeth tight trapping him within her mouth. Instead of feeling Nathan struggling though she felt Nathan kissing her tongue and even licking it.

A sleeper wasn't like most sisters. They didn't live amongst the sisters or brothers forming deep bonds so they had few direct connections. Yet Nathan felt a strong connection to Zarena and no fear came to him as she closed her mouth around him. He was surprised when her tongue pushed up on him suddenly despite that lack of fear though especially as she felt her mouth moving around him. He felt something very solid and warm brush against his foot moments later and then there was a sudden rush of movement. The feeling that had brushed against his food was now against his entire body. What he noted most though was that he couldn't feel any pants between his legs and Zarena's teeth.

It was with utter delight that Zarena opened her mouth and plucked Nathan out with one hand. As she removed him though another came in and removed his shredded trousers holding them up for him to see. “So what do you think of that Nathan?”

Despite what he had felt Nathan took a moment to realize what Zarena was talking about. A rush of adrenaline ran throughout him and he found himself actually shaking for a moment. “That's amazing! Could you actually tell where I was just by the feeling?”

Zarena, “Wellll no. You see Nathan I could actually see you in a sense while you were inside of my mouth. You might recall my eyes let me see more then just light. Whatever part of me perceives mystic energies can see more then what's directly in front of me. Let's not think about such things for now though.” As she finished speaking Zarena let her massive tongue flick out once again and twisted it to the side slightly.

Nathan was made to gasp as he felt Zarena's massive tongue press against his crotch and then lightly twist before slowly moving up. How she managed to get her tongue to move like that was beyond him but the results were hard to deny. He felt the tip of her tongue move slightly higher then his crotch then lower back down until it slipped under his penis and actually lifted his penis as it moved up. His legs parted to allow her tongue more room and he felt it move around the sides. As her tongue sent shivers through his body though he found himself looking directly at Zarena's slightly parted mouth. Even now he could see those massive gleaming white teeth inside and the all consuming darkness within. It was a terrifying site yet accompanied with such pleasure it was making it very hard for him to think clearly.

With Nathan held so close to her face it was impossible for Zarena not to notice his scent. She could smell excitement and fear all at once. The way he squirmed between her fingers excited her and her eyes focused on him. She had to be careful during these times as in truth part of her wanted to frighten Nathan to bring him to a more excited state and get his adrenalin going. At the same time though she didn't want fear to be his dominant reaction. His stiffened penis told her that fear most assuredly wasn't dominating his mind at the moment as she felt his penis begin to pulse under her tongue. She chose to bring the fear to another level as she suddenly lifted Nathan higher and turned her head up towards the sky opening her massive mouth.

The sudden change in height though relatively small and finding himself staring down into Zarena's massive mouth as well as the stimulation her tongue was providing was too much. Nathan found himself beginning to shiver and grasped the tip of her tongue with both hands. A low groan escaped him as he tried to control himself but the slightest shift of Zarena's tongue was too much as he found himself cumming his entire load vanishing into Zarena's massive mouth seemed entirely insignificant and his body grew limp between her massive fingers.

A low moan came from Zarena as she tasted Nathan's cum and her left hand traveled down to her lower lips. As she pressed her fingers against her petals she could tell she was already quite stimulated. “Okay Nathan now it's time for you to return the favor.” As she spoke Zarena lowered Nathan so that he was against her right breasts just over her nipple.

Nathan didn't wait for instruction but reached up and grasped Zarena's nipple in both of his hands. Despite having spent his load he was determined to show her his stamina so that instead of just grasping her tip of her nipple he began to pull up on it pressing both of his feet into her massive tit as he did so. He didn't intend to just grasp or pull on her nipple but began the process of actually climbing onto it. This seemed to have the desired affect as he heard Zarena give an excited yelp as she felt his feet leave her palm. Thoughts of his own excitement left Nathan's mind though it was there as he began to struggle atop her nipple. Due to Zarena's scale and the awkward climbing position this was proving to be quite a task.

There was temptation to remove her hand and use it to tend to her own needs as Nathan tried to climb atop her nipple. Zarena chose to keep it there to insure he didn't fall though while her left hand began to rub her petals all the more vigorously. The claw of her index finger was made to extend and she began to run it around the sides of her clitoris while her tail was brought up and gently brushed against the front of her left breasts the soft fur tickling her nipple as it passed over as her body began to squirm under the stimulation.

The shifting of Zarena's body sent a quake throughout her breasts and the land. While atop her breasts Nathan was able to experience the slightly jiggling of her flesh and hear the sound of the earth being crushed under her massive weight. The sound served as a constant reminder of how massive she truly was and  this served to excite Nathan all the more. As a natural born brother they often learned that tall and powerful was sexy and Zarena was one of the best embodiments of that notion he could imagine and truly the best he could hope to experience. With his right leg shifting onto Zarena's nipple Nathan gave a sigh of relief as he finally found himself astride her nipple and wrapped his legs around as much of it as he could. At the same time he did not release his grip on the tip of her nipple but instead grasped it all the more firmly and began to push outward on her nipple.  

***************************************************************************************************

Joseph wasn't certain what to say as he stepped into the courtyard and looked around. The citadel courtyard was set up as four major sections with a large water fountain in the middle. Each section housed a variety of flowers of a type he did not recognize. In between each section there was a path one of them leading towards what he assumed was the main entrance, one leading to the exit and the other two he wasn't certain where they lead. The citadel itself was a large structure consisting of five major buildings. Four external buildings with rather noteworthy passages leading to them which formed into rather impressive towers while the central building was actually a fair bit shorter then either of the four towers. All four of them were surrounded by a single heavy wall.

Windows looked out over the courtyard from the main building and towers but none at ground level. As Joseph looked around he imagined the window closest to the ground at least eight meters from it. Climbing to it wouldn't have been a pleasant task for most creatures especially due to the stonework. As Joseph neared the building the walls truly appeared to be perfectly smooth as if they had all been carved from the same stone. The walls had been formed so perfectly that even vines didn't seem to be able to find a point to begin climbing them. Those few plants that had managed to find a home on the walls where  actually anchored to the windows above.

Each window was quite surprising as well. They were colored glass and the imagines they depicted were of creatures he hadn't seen before except for the largest window of the central building. The imagine was quite clearly two sisters standing with a robed figure which Joseph guessed to represent a Luvarian. The doors to the main building itself contrasted with the building as while the stone was white the doors were a deep black metal and clearly had been made so they wouldn't be easy to open.

Maria, “So what do you think?”

Joseph, “It's impressive those walls are alchemically treated to fuse the stone aren't they?”

Mina, “We can't say for sure only that we know magic was involved.”

For a moment Joseph was silent. “I have to admit though it isn't as big as I imagined it would be.”

Maria, “Oh! You haven't seen the inside. Only a small portion of the citadel is above ground the majority is below.”

Joseph, “Interesting, what were those towers used for?”

Mina, “They were mostly used for housing simpler research projects that wouldn't risk jumping to their deaths and housing. At least that's what we believe. We haven't actually been able to get into them.”

Joseph, “I see. Well please lead the way. I assume nothing is going to jump out and eat me in the garden.”

Before speaking Maria reached down and took hold of Joseph. She then moved him away from the side of the path and began to guide him towards the entrance. “Stay away from the plants.”

Now Joseph felt himself growing concerned and he turned his head back to look up at Maria who was still guiding him. “Are you serious?”

Maria, “Let's not find out about that.”

Dan had a grin on his face as he watched Joseph and Maria moving ahead of them. His gaze turned up towards Mina who was already looking down at him. “Shall we go?”

Mina, “Yes. Let's get inside and see if we draw more attention.”

Dan, “More attention?”

Mina, “The protectors are already watching us. I saw one of them up in that tower.” As she spoke Mina pointed towards the northeastern tower.

Dan's reaction was instinctive. He turned and looked up towards the window and there he saw one of the protectors looking down into the courtyard. What he saw surprised him though. He didn't get the feeling that she was watching them only that she was looking into the courtyard. For a moment he continued to look at her. He watched her head slowly turn and look away only to return to observing them moments later. Her shoulder was moving as well as if she was using her arm. “Mina I'm not sure if she's watching us.”

Instead of responding Mina looked towards the protector as well it only took her a moment to turn her attention back towards Dan. “Let's get inside with Joseph and Maria.”

For the moment Joseph had no ideal of how old the building was but as he stood in the entrance he couldn't help but feel as if he was in the hall of some grand shop or something similar. There was a desk in the middle of the room which would have easily accommodate three people at once with arias set out for writing implements and other items he imagined. The room had chairs set throughout it some lining the walls while others were more towards the center of the room. “Maria this looks like a merchants guild.”

Maria, “The Luvarians were businessmen. You just came to them for a very special merchandise and this was a major hub for supplies. I imagine this is where the higher ranking Luvarians came to wait and ask for supplies from the forest. It's not like they all had the authority to demand what they wanted.”

Joseph, “I see. What way do we go now?”

No immediate response came from Maria as she pointed down one of the hallways. “I can take you down that hallway but there is no guarantee you'll get to the library Joseph. This place has a mind of its own after all. The first thing you need to do though is come over here.” As she was speaking Maria lead Joseph over to a table on which a crystal sphere set in a small stand.

Joseph, “What is that Maria?”

Maria, “I guess you could say its your sign in sheet. You just need to place your hand on the crystal for a little while and let it do its thing. Once the crystal is finished the citadel should let you in some rooms sense you're an alchemist. We've had brothers who lacked any form of magic training and it simply refused to recognize them. I guess you had to have some magic to even get past these doors.”

To this Joseph gave a nod and walked over to the sphere. A moment of nervous hesitation from him and he placed his hand on the crystal. Immediately the crystal lit up and he felt a warmth on his palm as well as a slight tingling. “Is it suppose to tickle?”

Maria, “That seems to differ from brother to brother but it's not something that hasn't been encountered before. Don't worry no one has ever been killed at this stage.”

Joseph, “That's good to know.” As the words left his mouth Joseph watched the crystal glow brightly and then return to its original color. “Now what?”

Maria, “It's done checking you out. Okay shall we be on our way?”

Joseph, “What about Dan?”

Dan, “I've already been here before and let it examined me then so it's alright. My time here was limited though as I was helping another brother with one of his projects at the time.”

Joseph, “I see.”

As Maria began to walk she hooked her tail behind Joseph's back and began to pull him along as she walked towards the door she knew would work for them. There was no door to be seen but a slight ripple in the air and a tingle that touched even her told Maria there was a spell there as she walked through it. Despite her confidence that Joseph would be accepted this far she was relieved when she looked back and saw him pass through. “The students library is down this way. Well students and guest library from what we know.”

After a moment Joseph gave a nod and stepped forward actually moving in front of Maria as he began to walk down the hallway. As he moved though he noted what appeared to be crystals lining the walls illuminating the hall. There was something strange about them. As he looked closer he noted there seemed to be a fluid inside of them that was actually giving off the light. Immediately he was made to wonder how long each of those lights had been burning but for now suppressed the questions. He had other concerns. A very notable one occurring right next to him as he felt something walk past them and found himself looking at the back of a massive sister who was still moving on.

All four of the guest went still as the protector walked by them. However, she appeared to have no interest in them but continued down the hall. It was Maria who spoke though. “Did you see what she was carrying?”

Mina, “It looked like she had a few flasks though I don't know what was inside of them. Could you smell anything?”

Maria, “No. They were completely clean.”

Joseph, “Was that a bad thing?”

Mina, “No. It was just an odd thing let's keep going. The library is down at the end of his hall they're some rooms on the side but let's keep out of them for the time being. We have a job to do here after all.”

After a moment of hesitation everyone seemed to nod even Mina before they continued down the hall. As Joseph was walking though he couldn't help but notice the feeling of magic flowing around them. It was a strange magic one that he couldn't quite recognize though. It was far more stable then anything he'd ever felt before it seemed to make breathing easier and his body feel lighter and yet it carried a burden as well. Joseph felt like he was being watched.

Maria was only content to let Joseph have the lead for so long. As they neared the library she moved to stand in front of him once again though she continued walking. “Once inside Joseph you'll see a large crystal in the center of the room. You need to touch it for a moment and think about gathering information. You'll feel a slight drain and then a small wisp will form it will guide you through the library.”

Joseph, “What's the drain?”

Maria, “The wisp uses your energies to sustain itself. We can't use the crystal though as we can't use magic but don't worry. The wisp can't leave the library so once we go to leave it'll return to the crystal on its own. Some of our brothers trained in spell casting can actually dismiss the wisp on their own but well I'm not sure if an alchemist can.”

After a moment Joseph gave a nod but he still held his breath as he stepped into the library. What he found was rather surprising. In the center of the room there was indeed a massive crystal easily the size of a dozen or more large men. The crystal took on the figure of a winged woman with her wings folded around her so that from the entrance her hands were obscured and she was clearly looking down into them. After a little maneuvering Joseph  noted she held a book in her hands though he couldn't actually make out any words or see any writing upon it. A tiara adorned the crystals head while a few lights emerged from the crystal at random moments then would return to it.

Maira, “I bet you didn't expect the crystal to look like her did you?”

Joseph, “No. I did not expect her to look like that. Do you know what she is?”

Maria, “Other then the storage area for the wisp and a lot of information we can't access? No. Given how much care was put into crafting her form though many speculate that she has to have some greater function.”

Joseph, “The Luvarians liked the female form a lot didn't they?”

Dan had been silent most the time but now he had to speak up. “That's what I said! You haven't even seen the half of it though. The vast majority of golems that they developed or the more humanoid ones tended to all take on more feminine forms then masculine forms. It's kind of strange when you consider the ideal that these golems were meant for war don't you think?”

Joseph, “That is a strange thought. Anyway do both Dan and I need to awaken a wisp or just one of us?”

Dan, “We only need one. Actually why don't you let me awaken a wisp? I never actually got to make the attempt when I came here.”

Joseph, “Well. I actually want to try as well.” It was impossible for Joseph not to grin despite their situation as he looked at Dan. “So how about we both awaken one anyway?”

Dan, “Sure. Just make sure you don't touch the statue twice. It seems that when you touch it more then once you're not trying to dismiss your wisp but rather you're requesting a more powerful one or the one you have to be strengthened. I've never actually seen it done but apparently it was quite a strain on the brother who did so.”

Joseph, “That's interesting what was the difference between that wisp though and the regular one?”

Dan, “From what I know it was far more intelligent but there might have been other things. They really didn't get to find out. Fortunately if the wisp is too much of a drain and you black out it apparently returns to the statue on its own rather then remaining and continuing to drain away your energy until you die. I've at times wondered what the strongest wisp inside of that statue is but the highest anyone has managed to bring them was four before it proved to be too much.”

Joseph, “Only four? If they're putting such a heavy drain upon the caster then they have to be providing more then an information service.”

Mina, “Joseph, Dan that's enough side tracking. You have something important to do.”

Dan, “Sorry Mina I guess I'm just a little nervous.”

Joseph, “Yeah, Okay to it then.” As he spoke Joseph walked over to the statue and reached out placing a hand on her folded leg. As he touched the statues leg he was surprised such that he was made to recoil. The statue was warm as if it was made from human flesh but what was truly surprising was the feel of the statues leg. It wasn't the feeling of hard stone but warm skin and muscle. He didn't have much time to think about it as a light emerged from within the statue and began to float about his head as if waiting. A sudden wave of dizziness hit him before he could make any comments.

By now Dan had also placed his hand on the statue and awakened his wisp. As it moved about he looked towards Joseph. “Did you feel that?”

Joseph, “Yeah I'm alright though. Now what do we do?”

Dan, “From what I know they're sort of like a magical item. You just need to focus on them the same way and think about what information you want to find.” Even as he was speaking Dan found himself focusing. The wisp actually began to respond moments later giving off brief flashes of light as well as sound that he recognized as a melody. The wisp then began to float ahead of him moving towards some stairs. “Are you coming Joseph?”

Joseph, “It seems we asked different questions Dan. Mine says go this way.”

For a moment Dan glanced over at Joseph and then nodded. “Well then we'll talk about that later. Let's each just go with our own wisp and see where it takes us. Mina are you coming?”

Mina, “No. I'm going to wait right here for the two of you. Just remember not to damage anything and you'll both be safe.”

Joseph almost fell over whenever he heard Mina's words and realized Maria wasn't with him either. When he looked back he found both sisters had made themselves comfortable at a rather large desk and while they were watching they weren't following. It was a strange moment. He was in an unknown location and Maria wasn't right there with him when she wouldn't have normally  let him move more then a few meters away from her. He would need to ask her about that later.

With Dan and Joseph going their own ways Maria turned to look at Mina. “It just doesn't feel like we should follow them here. Which is kind of strange considering that they'll need me to translate the books for them.”

Mina, “I know but if we stay near them we just make the burden of maintaining those wisp even harder. Did you see how Joseph stumbled whenever he first felt the influence of the wisp?”

Maria, “Yeah I noticed. Dan seemed to handle it better then he did though. Do you think there was a reason?”

Mina, “Dan knew what was coming.”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she looked at Mina. “You mean you're not going to take that chance to brag about Dan?”

Mina, “Oh I'll brag about him later. We're friends though and there is no reason for big talk. I respect Joseph to.”

Maria, “Thanks Mina. Do you have any idea what they asked their wisp to cause them to be led off in different directions?”

Mina, “I wish that I did.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena, “Mm I wonder how I'm going to get you back to your home now.”

As Zarena was speaking she had been moving her massive finger around him causing the surface of her breasts to shift and move about. It was a pleasant sensation and it took Nathan a moment to respond. “Well that's what the robe is for. I have some spare pants inside my home and as long as I use the robe no one will know I'm not wearing anything under it.”

Zarena, “Oh now that's kinky.”

Nathan, “Well it's a habit one develops when with you sisters. Believe me you're not the first sister who has destroyed my pants.”

Zarena, “You don't say. Well your not the first brother who's pants I've destroyed.”

Nathan, “Really! You mean I'm not your first!”

Zarena, “Nope!” The moment the word left her mouth both Zarena and Nathan found themselves chuckling as the two looked at one another. “You're the first one I've been with in a very long time though.”

Nathan, “So did you have one big orgy the day before you became a sleeper to celebrate your last bit of freedom before you had to go to sleep?”

Zarena, “You'd think we would do that but it isn't the case. No. On the night before I was to begin eating in order to grow to sleeper status well it was pretty quiet. I spent a lot of time walking around and looking at the various buildings and trees. I took in a lot of smells and I wondered how things would have changed whenever I woke up. The next day I spent a lot of time saying good bye to my friends.”

Nathan, “Zarena did you have many that were close to you whenever you volunteered. I mean what caused you to volunteer?”

Zarena, “Their was a roll that needed to be filled and it had some benefits to it. My mother and father were still alive back then though I had moved off and became plenty independent. I didn't have a mate at a time but I had some very close friends. I believe they might have been more torn up by my decision then I was.”

Nathan, “I only know of one  sister that volunteered to go to sleep. Well other then the sleepers themselves.”

Zarena, “Who is that?”

Nathan, “It was Mina the keeper you saw earlier. You probably guessed it but she has a rather powerful mutation. She didn't develop it due to being punished though. Rather she volunteered to go to sleep during a time of shortage.”

Zarena, “Oh wow. She didn't even get to become a sleeper though. What brought her to make such a decision?”

Nathan, “It was a while back whenever their hadn't been much rain fall and the forest was showing the signs of it. There had been a bit of a scuffle and well Mina's mother got caught up in it. She didn't make it through the fight though. Mina was pretty torn up as we are so you can imagine that her murderers paid. After that though Mina just began to shut down. She had friends but not a huge amount of them and the grief from her mother's loss plus the hunger well she came to the brothers. She told them that she wanted to go into the deep sleep. You can imagine how surprised we were.”

Zarena, “Did you refuse?”

Nathan, “At first but she argued that with food supplies low it would help the others. She even claimed that she would rather go to sleep then spend all her time even hungrier then normal. She used better wording then that though. In the end we gave in and Mina became the first sister to voluntarily take the deep sleep without being a sleeper herself. She stayed asleep for most of the lean times but we chose to wake her up whenever she became so small that she might be in danger. We got a surprise when she woke up.”

Zarena, “You mean her mutation.”

Nathan, “She was still a tiny thing you have to understand as she hadn't been eating. However, the first thing she did when she woke up was reach out and take hold of a keepers arm. She broke her arm pretty much immediately. From what I know the look of concern on her face was something else. Fortunately those there kept things under control and Mina was nursed back to health. Her muscles began to come in roughly two days after she'd been woken up.”

Zarena, “I see. To decide to go into the sleep rather then deal with the pain of losing her mother she must have been in a lot of pain. What prevented her from going back to sleep again though? After all her mother hadn't come back.”

Nathan, “That would be Dan. We insisted that Mina grow herself back to a healthier size before she went to sleep again so she started taking on regular tasks again. This included taking care of the claimed and amongst those claimed was Dan. You can say that he was brought in just at the right time. Otherwise I think Mina would have remained awake for a year at most and then went back to sleep.”

For a moment Zarena was silent and looked up at the sky. “I don't know what I would do if I met someone like that. Unlike Mina I can't choose to stay awake just because I found someone I loved. I suppose I could tell everyone to allow me to shrink back to regular size but that would take so long at this size. I don't know how many could wait for me that long or would be around for long when I next woke up.”

Nathan, “That is true.”

When Nathan spoke Zarena could hear the sadness in his voice. She brought one of her fingers up and gently ran it along his back until he once again looked up at her. “We can enjoy the time that we have together though. It's nice to finally have a name to go with the scent and sound from my dreams.”

Nathan, “While I'm glad to finally have a voice to go with the name and face.”

***************************************************************************************************

Maria, “Let me help you with that.”

A sigh escaped Joseph as he felt the books lifted from his arms to find Maria standing in front of him. “Thanks Maria.”

Maria, “You're welcome. Would you believe you made it back before Dan? He's still up there in the books somewhere.”

Joseph, “You don't know where he is?”

A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she shook her head. “Of course we do. He's three levels above our head and near the back. Mina's been listening to him this entire time to make sure he's safe. Now let's go get seated I went ahead and got some paper and pins.”

Joseph, “Thanks I will be needing something to write on and with.” 

Maria, “What do you mean you? Did you even check to see if you could read these books?”

Now Joseph was made to slow down and look at Maria. “Ah whoops.”

An amused giggle escaped Maria as she set down. “I bet Dan is taking longer because he remembered to check and see if he could read them. Now let's see here.” As she spoke Maria opened the book on top of the pile and held it up for Joseph. “Do you recognize these words?”

Joseph, “No. Do you?”

Maria, “Of course. That said you're going to have to give me some time to read this. You see this isn't a book dealing with us exactly. I take it you asked for a book detailing how our bodies interact with mystic energy correct?”

Joseph, “That was part of it yes.”

Maria, “The wisp does the best job it can. This book is about the makeup of different constructs and how mystic energies respond to different builds. Hopefully I can find something related to us but this will be the basic stuff.”

Joseph, “Yeah. I believe you mentioned that the higher end books were kept further in the fortress and you're one very high end bit of work.”

Maria, “Yeah and don't you forget it.” A slight chuckle escaped Maria as she placed the rest of the books next to her. “Why don't you take a moment to look through them and see what you can find? If there is any you can read I suggest starting there.”

Joseph, “Alright but is there anything I can do to help you?”

Maria, “Let me read the book once first.” As she finished speaking Maria looked down at the pages and the world around her seemed to slow down. There was always a noteworthy transition whenever she prepared herself to run and when she tried to remain relaxed. As she began to read she went further into this hastened state.

It was fairly clear to Joseph Maria had began to read the rate at which she was turning pages made that clear. Having no desire to disturb her he turned to Mina. “You really focus whenever you're after something don't you?”

Mina was made to giggle as she looked at Joseph. “She's hunting for the information you asked for. She's treating it like prey and she's using that mentality to help focus. It's actually fairly amusing.”

Joseph, “I wish I had that level of focus. Well let's see what I can find.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dan, “No. I can't read this one either.” For a moment Dan went silent as he placed the book back on the shelf while the wisp continued to hover above him. A groan escaped him and he placed a hand on his forehead as he suddenly felt far dumber. “Of course you're taking me to the wrong books. I haven't even bothered telling you that I want the books that have only been written in the language of the apprentices and common folk.”

Upon hearing Dan's words the wisp gave a sudden jolt of energy. The creature had been feeling frustration from its summoner from almost the beginning but now he made his desire more clear. Immediately the little creature began to fly in the direction of the appropriate books. Before it could go too far though it felt a slight tug on itself and was made to remember the bond. The human couldn't follow it around the fortress as rapidly as it could fly. It slowed quickly and began to move back and forth waiting for the human to follow.

The way the wisp moved about left no doubt in Dan's mind that it was an intelligent being. At the very least the wisp was comparable to most animals. Perhaps it was intelligent as a human or more so but simply lacked then ability to speak to them. It might have even had the ability to speak but simply chose not to. In any case Dan found himself following the wisp past several over shelves and was finally brought to one with a rather thin book setting inside of it. The wisp howevered above and around the book waiting for Dan to pick it up. As he did so he was quite happy to be able to read the cover despite the books size.

“Interaction between the magically resistant and magic items.” For a moment Dan simply held them book and then turned to the wisp. “Thanks.”

As the wisp held its ground it had already noted several other books that would meet the human's needs. The vast majority of these books were beyond his reach though and his desire to search had just vanished. For a moment the wisp held its ground and then it began to follow Dan as he made his way back towards the lower shelves. Once down below it would most likely return to the whole.

***************************************************************************************************

Mina, “Hey Dan it looks like you found some reading material as well.”

Dan, “I believe so. Hey Joseph what did you ask your wisp about?”

Joseph, “I wanted books on different constructs and their ability to use magic apparently.  Unfortunately the majority of the books I found aren't in a language I can read. Isn't this suppose to be the guest library?”

Dan, “Well the guest and student. The Luvarians had a set language that they expected all their students to learn for the sake of communication. You have to keep in mind that this was a guild who's reach extended through several different ethnic groups and nations. The Luvarians required that all their members know the language and writing of their nation of origin though.”

Joseph, “How about you Dan?”

Dan, “I thought my question was the same as yours but apparently it wasn't. The wisp brought me to several books I couldn't read so I left them behind I then asked it to use a language I knew and it found these three. It took me to books about magic, magical items and those who are resistant to them or even nullify them. The works don't seem to complete though I mean look at this.” As he spoke Dan held up the thinnest of the books for Joseph to see.

While Joseph and Dan had been talking Mina had walked over to Dan and taken the other two books from him. She then set down across from Maria and opened up the top book. She couldn't read as fast as Maria but she could read more quickly then what a human could. As she began to read though she stopped and looked towards Joseph and Dan. “Okay how about one of you men go fetch me a mystic dictionary.”

Maria, “I know! I'm reading through this thing and I swear I only understand like seven or nine out of ten words in here. Those I don't understand are really strange as well. I mean what is corstol?”

Dan, “Corporeal storage limit. It refers to the point at which a mage has stored as much mystic energy inside of his or her own body as he or she can before one actually begins damaging the body.”

Maria, “Are you sure about that Dan? It's not exactly talking about mages here.”

Joseph, “Well it's generally accepted as referring to mages as its talking about the degradation of a physical system. “

Maria, “Well alright I'm going to get back to reading.”

As Maria resumed her work Mina turned to Joseph and Dan. “I was serious when I asked for that book. Now one of you scoot and go find one. I can't have a wisp show me around.”

Dan, “Alright, I'll be back in just a few.”

***************************************************************************************************

Zarena felt awkward as she possibly could have as she walked through the protected area of the forest noting her sisters home. From time to time she would notice a sister or brother watching her and actually found herself hastening her pace as if she was frightened of them.  Fear was there though. Wake up, eat until you've regained your old size go back to sleep was the standard roll of a sleeper it just happened that at times what you ate was enemies. That simple pattern had been taken away by this extra time though and now Zarena didn't know what to do with herself. She had already indulged her desire to socialize more then she should have. What would happen when she next woke and Nathan was long past dead? How would she endure that?”

A shiver ran up Zarena's spine as she considered this thought. She had to deal with this before though on a larger scale when she'd first become a sleeper. There hadn't been any hope of a quick awakening back then though. Was there really hope for a new awakening now? They had found themselves a wonderful new energy source that was true but Zarena knew the smaller sisters would want to make use of it as well and they had good reason. They were still suffering  due to their hunger after all. How big would they need to be for her to be allowed to remain awake though? Would they all need to be the same size as her or perhaps matron status?  These thoughts brought Zarena to a stop and she gave a low sigh before lowering herself to a seated position.

Life was simpler when she could focus on killing and eating then go back to sleep. This free time meant she had time to think and those thoughts were bringing her old pain. A new thought relieved that pain though as she turned to the homes of her sisters. Perhaps she should just ask them what size they would require in order to allow a sleeper to walk amongst them even for a few months a year. She didn't know how they would respond to such a question and she feared so many different answers but at least she would know. It was with renewed purpose that Zarena stood back up and began to make her way towards the market area.

***************************************************************************************************

Being held in one hand was a rather strange experience for Flora. Even a matron couldn't hold a keeper in one hand that easily. As she found herself setting in Zarena's hand though she had a question to ponder. “I'm sure it differs from sister to sister however I wouldn't mind if perhaps I was the same size as Fera whenever sleepers were granted three months out of the year to remain awake.”

Zarena, “Three months? I was expecting a bit less then that.”

Flora, “Well even being keeper sized takes off a good deal of the bight of my hunger and I imagine being thirteen meters or so tall like Fera would take a lot of the edge of. After all when she was a regular sized sister she was known to be a nearly out of control predator but she behaves far better now. Then again that was also after she was forced to sleep so that probably played a part.”

Zarena, “It might have but it's a nice thought.” Zarena had meant to speak with more of her sisters but she'd encountered Flora before she could make it to the market. The sister had simply been out searching for anything out of the ordinary so Zarena had offered to go with her. As she was talking with Flora though she had to be mindful of where she walked. She didn't want to cause too much undo destruction so careful foot placement was a requirement.

Flora, “Are you as hopeful for recent works as the rest of us are?”

Zarena, “Well talking with Nathan caused me to get my hopes up a bit. I believe I'll go to sleep with them up it should make getting to sleep easier and dreaming simpler. If my hopes are wrong though well waking up sure won't be easy.”

Flora, “Is that better?”

Zarena, “I don't know. I pretty much pushed hope to the lowest part of my mind whenever I first became a sleeper to make waking up easier. This time I suppose I'll try something different and see what happens when I wake up. If I'm wrong I'm sure that seeing new sisters and brothers will make things easier. Having someone that's familiar to my sense of smell and hearing also helps a great deal each time. I wish I could see this life bloom I'm hearing about though.”

Flora, “I would show it to you but it's secured and their isn't an entrance large enough for you or. Oh that could be a problem. If all of us were allowed to grow to the same size as Fera getting inside to tend to the life bloom could be extremely difficult.”

Zarena, “I don't believe you have to worry about that. It might require some work but I'm sure the facilities can be adjusted. I am a little worried about our home though. At that size this little section of forest won't be enough for everyone. Have you ever considered what you might do for housing if everyone achieved matron size?”

Flora, “I imagine it will be like in the times of the Luvarians again. The first ones. Some of us will end up moving to the edge of the forest.”

Zarena, “Did you know the ancient Luvarians didn't allow us to grow to sleeper size whenever they controlled the forest? At least what we found whenever I had time for such studies was that the first sisters were kept at matron size. Well more like a little between matron size and sleeper size while leaning more towards the matrons.”

Flora, “I remember. That's why our first leader wanted to make a system that would let us all grow to sleeper status though I doubt they had that title back then. He wanted to completely remove our hunger from us. I just wish I knew what had happened to him. Did you ever go to his tomb whenever you were smaller?”

Zarena, “Yeah. I wonder how it has changed since I last went inside. Back then we could tell that whatever had killed him had involved a lot of out of control magic. The mystic radiation from his corpse was so intense that we could feel it whenever we entered and even outside the chamber doors. The fact that all that energy didn't just vaporize his body was astounding.”

Flora, “That hasn't really changed. Do you ever wonder if that's truly his body though? The records say that the last of the true Luvarians were the ones who retrieved the body as well as the protectors of the citadel. How do we know that was truly his corpse though?”

Zarena, “We just have to trust it was at this point there is little if anything we could do to check. I wish that I could go and see his grave now but I wouldn't be able to fit inside.”

Flora, “Does that mean you can't stand outside of it and take a moment?”

Zarena, “No. I believe I should do that but first I have to say it is very easy to get off track these days. I came to ask you how large you would need to be to tolerate a sleeper being awake for a few months a year and now we end up talking about our first leader.”

Flora, “Well we don't have to stick to one subject. How do you believe he would feel about what you sleepers have done?”

Zarena, “It might make him feel guilty. From what we know of him it seems like he blamed himself for our condition and truly wanted to fix it. I believe that he would be happy that you're all working towards your own solution. He might be a little upset that it was someone from the outside and helped you take such a massive step recently though.”

Flora, “We might be taking another step soon. My daughter and a few others have gone to the citadel to research a topic which could prove quite interesting.”

Zarena, “What's that?”

Flora, “The true relationship between us and magic.”

***************************************************************************************************

“The notion that someone is completely immune to magic is completely false. Those who are considered immune to magic are simply extremely resistant to magics influence or even counter productive to magic. There are ways for a mage to deal with these people however such discussion is better suited to a book on tactics. I would suggest Cracking the Wall by Luvarian Garvosh Mizon if this is the information you seek. This book deals with the different level of resistance and even levels of nullification and the level it would take to counter these as well as their interaction with mystic sources. To any reader who has already resolved that this is a rather large topic to cover in such a small book you're quite correct. While it is my hope these readings will answer many of your questions if you desire more the completed version may be found in the members section of the library. To any guest or apprentice who feels early access to this book is a necessity I would suggest speaking with a full Luvarian.”

Maria, “Well isn't that a nice introduction.”

Dan gave a chuckle as he flipped through several pages of the book returning to where he had been reading before Mina had asked for the basics of the book. “Yeah. I'm guessing such disclaimers were fairly standard practice for the Luvarians of old. It seems like a decent advertising tactic for the guild. If you like what you've read and seek more join my guild and find all the answers.”

Mina, “So have you found anything useful?”

Dan, “This books claims that no being is incapable of using every form of magic no matter how resistant to magic they are even if their presence alone nullifies it. The problem with that is we know you don't nullify magic. You absorb the magic energy in the area so that it becomes more difficult to sustain spells and that's why it seems impossible for you to learn magic. This is a case of giving off an energy that prevents magic even if that's limited to ones own body.”

Mina, “I see what you're saying. How are you doing Maria?”

Maria, “I have no ideal. I've learned some things but some of its over my head or most of it. Here is one thing that's neat. Did you know that the shape of a magic glyph depends or should depend on the medium you're carving it into? Apparently when a mage casts a spell they're taking raw mystic energy for the most part shaping the energy and refining it into the state they finally cast the spell in. A glyph is a two dimensional reproduction of that process which is why glyphs for more complex spells tends to be just that more complex. However, the material the glyph is carved into also serves to shape that energy a great deal after all the energy has to flow through that medium.”

Neither Dan or Joseph said a thing but took a moment to look at one another. Joseph was the one who asked though. “Maria does it give any examples?”

Maria, “Yeah. It mentions that volcanic limestone is simply terrible for glyphs involving water magic. The heavy alteration by heat and the earth just makes it unreceptive to such energies. It mentions that it is a wonderful medium for glyphs involving fire spells or wind. It goes further to mention that a truly complex glyph may also require several different types of mediums if you want to make it properly however that adds further complications.”

Joseph, “Because each time the energy flows into a new medium it has to go through another transition.”

Maria, “That's right. So it says what you want to do with a very complex glyph in many cases is simply find a material that's neutral to all energies involved.”

Joseph, “That's really interesting. I'm used to using stone for carving glyphs into it never really occurred to me that the type of stone would matter. Dan how receptive to the energies from the life bloom do you believe the stone in our system is?”

Dan, “I have no ideal. It's probably not as receptive as some materials but Joseph do you really want to try remaking that glyph?”

Joseph, “I don't believe we have the ability.”

Maria, “Oh this is neat.  Now it's going into the proper method to make a three dimensional glyph. Apparently the basic method is to take something like a bronze ball and carve the glyph into it. This lets you compact the glyph a great deal in a fairly small space and come up with some complex designs. This apparently is essential to many of the Luvarian golems who were designed to use magic. The glyphs they use to shape the energy are actually internal three dimensional glyphs.”

Joseph, “That isn't what we came here to find but still that's very interesting. How on earth could they consider that information as appropriate for the students?”

Maria, “It's because it doesn't explain their better golems. Near the height of their power even the basic golems made by the Luvarians could cast spells like fireball and wind blades. Those are fairly low level spells though. The really powerful ones could cast hundreds of spells and even combine different spells to form new ones. I'm guessing this was basic information they expected all students to have mastered before they would even be considered for full advancement. At least if they were going to be golem makers.”

Dan, “Damn it Joseph I wish we had that book sooner. We could have done an even better job on the energy system I bet if we had the section on energy systems translated. Why didn't we find that book in the library though?”

At first no one spoke but then Mina felt her eyes widen. “Oh! Oh my. Um let's not tell anyone that you've read that book okay Maria?”

Maria, “Huh? How come?”

Mina, “That's one of the books in the restricted sections of the library as it's considered a bit too dangerous. You need to be rank eight to ask for it and well normally only rank eights would be here so this situation is really strange. I mean it's not like we could remove that book from the library with the protectors but well.” As she was speaking Mina picked up the notes Maria had been taking down. “Yes. Just don't tell anyone you have these until you're both rank eight.”

For a moment Dan said nothing but looked at Mina. He then began to grin. “Thank you Mina. I feel I should say I half expected you to take the book and place it back in the shelves after what you just said. So thanks for trusting us.”

Mina, “Just keep this a secret. All of the books that are kept in the protected area are kept there for a reason. They have some dangerous information that burned us in one way or another. I believe I remember the way this one burned us though I wasn't there for the event. I heard talk of it when I was young.”

Dan, “Oh?”

Mina, “Three dimensional glyphs aren't a joke Dan. Their power goes up greatly far more then what the brothers expected it to. That book suggest something like a bronze ball but when we tried it the bronze melted and all the energy was released at once from what I recall. Several brothers were badly injured and one of them was even killed by the resulting discharge.”

Silence filled the room and then Joseph spoke up. “We'll keep that in mind. Maria please just continue what you're doing while Dan and I get to work on the books that we can actually read.”

***************************************************************************************************

“There is nothing I can do!” As the words left his lips Alex gave an exhausted sigh. Even with the spirits power there were limitations to his abilities and the amalgam knew that. Still it had demanded that he keep their location hidden with his magic. He had at first thought illusion spells would work but realized that had one massive flaw. Magic would stand out even more then the dead trees when it came to those beasts. Now he found himself standing in the shadow realm looking at the forest which had been burned to ash.

Amalgam, “Think harder human! You haven't granted all your knowledge to me and I know in that hidden information there is knowledge of my kind.”

Alex, “The spirits of these trees have all been destroyed there is nothing left to help support their physical being. This will influence them and they'll be overwhelmed by those plants that still retain their spirits. You would need to bring in another spirit that could serve as their support without radically changing their nature. The only spirit that might even be able to handle that task is the spirit of the forest itself.”

Amalgam, “She would never aid me. Do not believe this means you will regain your life human. If I should die then you shall die as well.”

A low growl escaped Alex as he looked towards the smoldering flames. Part of him felt as if plunging himself into those embers and reviving them was a suitable response. He wasn't ready to insure his death just yet though. “There is nothing that I can do. We must move.”

Amalgam, “I can not! They have removed my footholds through much of the forest and slain too many of my servants.”

Alex, “Then we must prepare to fight.” As the words left his lips the fact that we had went with them repulsed Alex. Yet silence filled the air and he felt a sudden shift. It only took him a moment to realize that he was returning to the physical world as the spirit released the hold that kept him in the shadow realm.

Amalgam, “It seems the time has more quickly then I expected. You are still too weak for me to enter directly. Go to your rest there will be much to do soon.”

Alex, “Well isn't that just wonderful.”

***************************************************************************************************

Mina, “I found something. I found something!” As she spoke Mina found herself grinning from ear to ear as she placed the book in the middle of the table. “Right here is talks about magic sinks. Listen to this. No matter how high the quality of a energy sink it has its upper limits. Once those limits have been reached magic will function normally even in the presence of the sink provided the sink is static. Dynamic energy sinks have been developed and while able to adapt they have the same limitations of a static energy sink for a finite period of time. The amount of time one has to effectively cast depends on the quality of the energy sink and how overwhelmed it was during the initial conditions. It gets more detailed as you read on.”

No one said anything at first as both Dan and Joseph seemed loss in thought. Dan was the first to come out of it though. “Your bodies are an energy sink which transfers the energy to your muscles. You can only transfer so much energy at once. Yeah I know where you're going but there is a problem here. What you're talking about is a mage casting a spell in the presence of an energy sink what we're trying to deal with is the energy sink itself actually trying to cast spells. I'm quite certain that you fall into the category of a dynamic energy sink as well. Unlike a normal dynamic energy sink though you know the energy is going to be coming so you might already be adapting before it actually hits.”

Mina, “Oh.” A sigh escaped Mina as she leaned forward on the table. “I believed I'd found something for a moment there.”

Instead of staying still Dan stood up on his seat and wrapped his arms around as much of Mina as he could. “I'm sure we can use that information Mina. The fact that you're helping us search is great by itself.”

Mina, “Thanks Dan but from the tone of your voice I bet you already knew what I just told you.”

Jopseh, “No seriously Mina. Thanks for helping us look. I'm certain that we won't be finding anything related to our sisters directly at this point however we can still find pieces of the puzzle. Between what you found and what Dan found as well as my own testing I can't help but believe my theory is right. It's actually possible for the sisters to begin learning at least some forms of magic.”

Dan, “I believe you're right Joseph. Everything I've read seems to indicate that our sisters should be able to use some form of magic. Though we don't know if that serves any practical purposes yet.”

Joseph, “Yeah. At least we haven't found anything to say that it's impossible for them to use all forms of magic. Maria how are things going for you?”

Maria, “I hate regular paper. It rips so easily and forces me to write so slowly. The fact that I keep having to get more ink for this pin isn't helping things either. I want tougher paper in here and an ink pin that doesn't have limits like this one. Hey Joseph haven't alchemist developed some kind of ink that last longer then normal?”

Joseph, “Um. Well I'm sure some alchemist have. I just never had the need so I never have.”

Maria, “You really should look into that. Also how about some toughened paper for the next time we come here?”

A slight chuckle escaped Joseph as he looked at Maria's hand. The speed with which she was writing truly was astounding. The fact that her writing retained an extremely high level of clarity despite that remarkable speed made it even more amazing to him. “I'll see what I can do. You don't believe you'll be complaining about the table after that though do you?”

Maria, “Well perhaps you could also get me a writing surface?”

Joseph, “OH sure. Demands demands. Yeah I'll see what I can do.”

Maria, “Thanks. I'm not really having time to understand what I'm reading at this point the book is getting into some serious materials.”

Joseph, “Mina we don't actually need to have Maria transcribe all of these books do we? Now that we know what we're looking for shouldn't the library have them?”

Mina, “Joseph. Have you forgotten the entire reason we're here? You didn't trust the books in the library.”

Joseph, “Oh yeah. I suppose we've been at this a little longer then I realized.”

Maria, “Joseph you're looking a little tired. Why don't you go rest for a while and let me finish what I'm doing?”

Joseph, “It would be very impolite of me to just set around while you did all the work.”

Maria, “Now don't worry about that. I don't fatigue as easily as you do after all. Just take a seat and give yourself time to relax. Once I'm done with this book you're the one that's going to have to read through it and actually understand what it's saying. So rest while you can.”

Joseph, “Do you believe I'll have time to do that before you all march off to deal with whatever has been hurting the forest?”

Maria, “I really don't know but that just means we have to make use of what free time we do have. Oh Mina wouldn't it be awful if we had to leave in the next hour or so? Marching off to battle tired sucks.”

Mina, “I don't know. Shredding some kobolds would probably do wonders to wake me up. I'm interested in fighting one of those new species of kobolds you found to. So far you're the only one of us who's actually gotten to fight one let alone kill one of them.”

Maria, “That is true. It's a shame I can't tell you how it tasted.”

Mina, “I'm sure it would have tasted terrible. I'm sick of kobold as is and this new breed seems to go further down their unsavory path. However, as revolting as they might be to the tongue they could be as fun to rip apart.”

Dan, “Mina, Maria I hope you don't mind but I'm going to take a break with Joseph. My eyes are starting to burn.”

Mina, “Really? What time is it?” As she spoke Mina turned her attention to one of the windows. She was actually surprised to see that the sun had gone down. “Mm I guess we've been here longer then we realized.”

Joseph, “Blast. You're right but we haven't gotten all the books copied yet. Okay tired or not we need to go.”

Maria, “No. Set down and close your eyes for a while.”

Joseph, “Maria you have to go on patrol tomorrow and deliver messages. I can't let you leave tired.”

Maria, “Joseph I'm not tired.” As she spoke Maria took in a deep breath. “There is an energy that moves throughout this building and sustains it. I'm certain that you've also felt it.”

Joseph, “What? Well I felt something whenever I entered.”

Mina, “Perhaps due to our natures we can feel it on a far deeper level then that. Believe me Maria and I are fine. You two on the other hand should set yourselves down somewhere and rest.”

Joseph, “Here? Wouldn't that be kind of insulting?”

Maria, “Did you notice those overstuffed seats off in the corner? What do you believe those were for?”

Instead of responding Joseph took a moment to look around and indeed found some rather plush looking chairs. “I guess even ancient mages got tired and required a little rests from time to time.”

Maria, “I would say that's a fair assumption. Now you and Dan go and have a nice set down while me and Mina continue our work. We should be finished soon enough.”

Dan, “Thanks both of you. We'll have to pay you back later.”

Mina, “Mm oh and just what do you have in mind for payment.”

Dan, “Hm how about the type of things I don't feel comfortable talking about around others.”

Mina, “Oh that does sound good.”

***************************************************************************************************

Sora couldn't help but wince when she looked at Mirin's hands. The signs of his burns were quite clear as he removed his bandages and submerged them in a large tub of fluid. The cleaning solution actually seemed to sooth his wounds as he gave a relieved sigh upon putting his arms within it. “So is that as painful as it looks?”

Mirin, “I'm not really sure. The healing ointments I've been using have been relieving a lot of the pain while helping me to recover. There is pain there still though.” As he was speaking Mirin found himself gently moving a cloth over his burns cleaning out little bits of dirt and other debris that managed to get under his bandages as well as the used up ointment. “Does the sight of my burns bother you?”

Sora, “Mirin you have to know that it does. The fact that you were injured so badly. I just wonder if I should have even let you go into the shadow realm as you were.”

Mirin, “Sora there was little choice.”

Sora, “I know but it sure doesn't mean that I like it. I just want to pick you up, bandage your arms and not let you down until your arms have fully healed. That wouldn't be very productive though.”

Mirin, “I'm afraid not. The thought is appreciated though. If it wasn't for our skill in alchemy I would have suffered some loss in the use of my fingers I am certain. The damage that mystic backlash caused did some rather deep damage. Hey Sora how are the sisters feeling about Zarena's awakening?”

Sora, “They're feeling excited and ready to go. We're all pretty confident that we can't lose with her on our side. After all the sleeper is one of the main reasons this forest has always remained ours.”

Mirin, “I'm glad to hear.” Mirin went silent as intense pain shot through his right arm forcing him to bend over and take in a deep breath. He could both hear and even feel Sora's movements as she rushed over to see what was wrong. “I'm fine.”

Sora, “What was that?”

Mirin, “Just my nerves reminding me that they're still working.” As he finished speaking Mirin took in deep breath but didn't move in the least. “Just give me a moment please and I'll continue with my bandages.”

Sora, “Should I go fetch a brother to help you?”

Mirin. “No. Just give me time.”

For a moment Sora held her position she then found herself settling down once again and watching Mirin. It took another minute but eventually he resumed his work to clean his burns and applied a secondary ointment to them before he once again began to bandage them. As she watched Mirin working Sora could actually feel a pain building in her chest while a lump had formed in her throat. “I just realized something. There has never been a sister born with the power to heal others. Well not born. I mean who had a mutation that allowed her to heal others.”

Mirin, “Mm you know I believe you're right. What brings that up though?”

Sora, “At this moment I wish I could trade my stealth for that.”

Mirin, “Oh and what would you do when you needed to save me from the clutches of a mountain troll who would snap my head off if you came too close?”

Sora, “Well naturally I would be healing you so rapidly that such efforts would be futile as the damage would be recovered automatically.”

Mirin, “Mm that actually sounds really really painful.” 

Sora, “Of course. That would teach you to avoid those situations after all.”

A low chuckle came from Mirin as he looked up at Sora. “Would you help me wrap my arms?”

Sora, “I'd be happy to.”

***************************************************************************************************

Dan couldn't keep his eyes closed as he looked out their bedroom window and up through the branches. He hadn't noticed until now but the trees had lost a fairly large number of their leaves. It allowed him to see up into the sky and note what a massive moon they had on this night. A flurry of movement left the branches shaking moments later and he felt certain some sisters had passed by. It made him smile as his mind turned to Mina and how such thin branches would no longer support her. Soon the sisters would have to give up that method of travel entirely.

Mina, “Dan what is wrong?”

Dan, “Mina? You're still awake.” As he spoke Dan looked up at Mina's face and noticed her eyes were still closed her lips moved though.

Mina, “Your heart won't reach a nice resting status and it keeps waking me up.”

Dan, “I'm sorry. I'll try to.”

Mina, “Tell me what's on your mind.”

Dan, “I'm just excited I suppose. I keep thinking about our visit to the citadel and the books we were able to gather. Reading through them and truly understanding them is going to take a lot of time but I'm sure the knowledge will be useful. They're other things I'm thinking about as well. Like what you told us about the books.”

Mina, “Shhhh.” As she spoke Mina reached up and placed a single finger against Dan's lips. “Don't talk about such things ever. Our conversation was a private one and shall never be spoken of outside of the most private settings.”

Dan, “Sorry.” As he began to speak Dan reached up and took hold of Mina's massive wrist. He then began to run his right hand along it. “That is not the only thing on my mind though. What if Joseph is right and you are capable of learning magic? I wonder what it would mean.”

Mina, “I”m not sure to be honest. What do you believe it would mean? That we could do some things for ourselves?”

Dan, “I. I don't really believe so as far as spell casting. At least it wouldn't right away. I'm wondering though if you could learn to gather magic like mages do. If you could even begin the process of gathering that energy you could probably cut down on the energy your body needs from outside sources.”

Mina, “I believe that is what Joseph hopes for as well.”

Dan, “Isn't that exciting? It isn't just that though. I know we said that it would be too much trouble to improve the energy system Joseph and I built right away but we could do it. At least we might be able to do it. That would provide you with even more energy then what it is giving now. During all of that though new life blooms will grow and be planted providing even more food and energy. Mina Dremera might be born into a world in which she won't have to know hunger.”

Mina, “Oh Dan that is a wonderful thought.” As she spoke Mina lifted Dan higher and pressed her lips to the top of his head before setting him down again. “None of that will come between now and morning though and you're a lot more useful whenever you're not tired.”

Dan, “I suppose not but it's still hard. Mina would you mind if I joined in on the attack whenever we moved against our enemies?”

Mina, “Do you have a large supply of potions custom made for yourself to greatly enhance your combat ability?”

Dan, “No.”

Mina, “Then yes.”

For a moment Dan said nothing then a chuckle escaped him. “I suppose that is to be expected. I don't know if I'll have time to prepare such potions either. From the way Mirin was talking that portion of the forest should be dieing rather soon. I believe the better thing for me to do would be to try to make potions to help the mages who will be going into the shadow realm to confront the spirit. Yeah. I suppose that's what I will be working on.”

Even as Dan was speaking Mina could tell he was falling asleep now. Apparently simply having no ideal of what he should be doing was what was keeping him awake. It made her smile and she gave Dan another kiss on the forehead before relaxing again herself. As she looked towards the window she found her memory returning to the morning. She could still see that protector looking out the window at them. She hadn't spoken to Dan about it but she wondered what the protector had been doing there.

***************************************************************************************************

Kelah, “Dinon what is wrong with you? You've been spaced out for two days now. Dinon? Dinon I'm talking to you!”

At last Kelah's words seemed to register with the orc the intensity of her voice actually startling him out of his contemplative state. “Sorry Kelah, I was just focused elsewhere.”

Kelah, “So I noticed. Now would you tell me what had you so occupied?”

Dinon, “It's the fire spirits in the forest. Something happened recently and they began a mass movement. The one I hold a contract with has been asking for additional energy from me. Apparently there is a chance to gain additional power but it needs more strength for the actual push to claim that power and I've been trying to supply that additional strength.”

Kelah, “I see. I take it the spirit agreed to share some of that power with you then.”

Dinon, “Yes but what has me worried is I don't know the full details of what is happening. Only that a very noteworthy fire was created and scorched a region of the forest. Now several fire spirits and others are trying to claim that region for themselves.”

At first Kelah said nothing but took a seat next to Dinon. “So how is your contractor doing?”

Dinon, “It is doing fine from what I can tell. It's already claimed a region covering several acres. What I don't fully understand is the region its trying to claim. From the way the spirit is talking it was the spiritual realm that felt these flames.

Kersara, “What I want to know is what happens when this spirit of yours manages to claim a chunk of the forest.”

Dinon, “Oh Kersara. I didn't notice you standing there. How are you doing today?”

Kersara, “Just fine. Now how about answering my question.”

Kelah didn't bother waiting for Dinon to respond but chose to herself. “When a spirit claims a region of land either in the physical world, spiritual world or both that regions becomes more vulnerable to the spirits nature. In the case of a fire spirit the land feels the touch just a little more, dries out a little faster and burns a little easier. We're talking about a natural spirit of fire though not one who has been driven mad and a cleansing fire is part of the natural routine of a forest.”

For a moment Kersara said nothing but looked at the two orcs. After a short time she gave a nod and settled down. “Okay I see what you're saying. I guess this has something to do with the warning Maria gave us earlier. That our brothers had struck a blow against the amalgam and we should be ready to feel it strike back.”

Dinon, “The spirits of the forest are stirred up by the fire however the water spirits of the ocean don't seem anymore active then usual. They haven't given me any additional warnings so I don't believe the strikes made against us will grow any stronger.”

Kersara wanted to trust Demon's information and believe that there would not be any attacks more significant then they had already dealt with. When she looked out over the water though she couldn't help but worry. There was a lot of ocean out there and she didn't have any idea of how much the spirits covered or what the creatures might be doing to hide from them. “Dinon I hope you don't take this the wrong way but  I'm going to hope you're right and prepare for you to be wrong.”