- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Been a while, I wrote a 3rd chapter I wasn't happy with and then kinda abandoned the story. Got the urge to redo it and continue recently. 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

John's mind was racing as the doctor looked over him, everything was so different here from the house, it was all built for people his size, if it wasn't for the pain still running through his body he could have almost forgotten he was shrunk. “I hear you had a bit of a rough start here.” The doctor finally broke the silence.

“She dropped me.” John replied blankly without changing his expression. “I thought I'd die, it must have been hundreds of feet.”

“They're roughly 400 ft tall to us.” The doctor informed him. “But they're still under 6 ft really, so you're only picking up speed for those few seconds. Not that we can pick up much speed at our size anyway, if you had fallen 400ft you'd feel the same.”

“We can't die from falling?” John's voiced showed his surprise as the conversation woke him from his trance.

“You can if you land the wrong way, and you're lucky not have broken anything.”

“It'd be luckier not to be here” John replied as he started to think about where he was. “Can I ask if you're a real doctor?”

“I am.” The doctor answered as he finished his check up.

“So why are you here? You can't have been starving, why did you want to be shrunk?”

The doctor looked at him for a moment before breathing deeply. “I didn't volunteer for this.” The bitterness was clear in his voice. “I was convicted of fraud and sentenced to be shrunk. Natasha works for Soylent, she heard they were shrinking a doctor and decided to take me home with her. Thought it would be useful to have me around” John nodded silently at the doctors story. “So why did you want to be shrunk? From the look of you I'm guessing hunger.”

John nodded again. “And I thought it would be safer here than on the streets.” He added.

“It's pretty safe when you're in here, there's thousands of servants, we've got our own little society. You just need to keep your wits about you when you're in the house and try to keep out of their way.” The doctor explained trying to cheer John up. “With a bit of luck you might eventually be able to a get a job where you don't even have to go into the house. Now come on, get some food in you and you'll feel much better.” The doctor added as he walked John out of his surgery, where a man was waiting.“John, this is Steve, he's gonna show you around.” The doctor introduced him. “John here's had a bit of a rough introduction, take him for some food first.” The doctor said to The man.

 

John took in the smell off the food in front of him, there was small chunk of steak, some potato and spinach. They were cut from full sized pieces of food, so to anyone used to eating real food they would have seemed incredibly tough, but the only food John knew were soylent crackers. It even brought a tear to his eye as he bit into the steak and felt to juices run into his mouth.

“Good, isn't it?” Steve said as he watched him eat. “Almost makes it worthwhile.”

John nodded in agreement before speaking “So what will I be doing here?”

“You'll be in my team, we mostly do cleaning, but any job we're given really.”

“When do I start?”

“Tomorrow, but I'd like to show you around the house today”

John stopped eating and was silent for a moment. “I've already been out there today.”

“Yeah, I heard Natasha and Karen greeted you personally. They're cunts but we'll be keeping out of their way.”

“Can it wait till tomorrow?” John asked, his voice shaking.

Steve could see how scared John was but didn't relent. “Sorry, but you'll have to start work tomorrow, I don't know what job we'll have so I want to show around today, make sure you're ready for whatever we need to do.” He looked John in the eye and tried to sound reassuring. “We're just gonna have a look around, we'll keep out of their way, they won't even notice us. We'll be fine, I promise.”

 

Soon Steve was leading John through a maze of corridors, they took a lift which seemed to go down for an age until they reached a large hanger like room.

“Any vehicles available?” Steve asked a man at a desk.

“All being loaded for tonight.” The man replied.

“Looks like we're walking.” Steve said turning to John. “Don't worry, they're less likely to take notice of us on foot.” He added after seeing the look of disapproval on Johns face. Soon they were walking out of the large hanger door into the wide open plain of the kitchen floor. John recognised the room instantly, there were no giants this time but he was still taken back by the sheer scale of of everything. “It'll take you a while to get used to it.” Steve said, noticing Johns reaction.

 

Steve showed John around the kitchen, John was amazed at all the intricate systems which had been built into everything, lifts and staircases allowing them access to almost any part of the kitchen. Everyday objects seemed like massive structures to him. Knife holders, salt grinders, all of them dwarfed him. John felt a twinge of guilt as they walked across the kitchen table and he saw a group of men hard at work scrubbing off the grease marks he'd left earlier, bread crumbs the size of rocks still littered the table. As the tour continued they moved into the dining room, just as in the kitchen there was a way for them to reach almost any area, Steve made a point that each chair had a lift in one leg but there were ladders built into each leg for emergencies. John shuddered at the thought of dying in such a humiliating way. They took a lift up to the dining room table which was fixed to the wall. There was another large door, again resembling something from an aircraft hanger. “The kitchen's in there.” Steve said. “The tiny kitchen, thank Christ they didn't put you to work in there.”

“We cook for them?” John was shocked, he couldn't even begin to picture how they would cook for these giants.

“Sometimes, they cook most meals for themselves, it takes a while for us to get a full sized meal together.”

“How do we even do it?”

“I'm not entirely sure, I've never worked their, a lot of manpower and a lot of heavy machinery. It's hellish from what I hear. They've easily got the highest turnover of any department.”

“I'm guessing turnover means...” John frowned.

“Yeah, it's our little euphemism.” Steve laughed grimly. “The kitchen has way more accidents than anywhere, there's some real horror stories.” He sighed before continuing “You'll hear them soon enough, I don't wanna scare you too much on your first day.”

 

John was silent for a while as the tour continued, he was mulling over what he'd heard so far. “What's the point?” He finally spoke up. “Wouldn't it be easier to just cook for themselves?”

“Course.” Steve said laughing. “That's why they do most of the time.”

“So why have us do it?”

“I think they like the idea of us suffering for them.” Steve shrugged. “They could hire a maid to do everything we all do in half the time if they just wanted the work done.”

“Sounds like I really lucked out when I chose here.” John said dejectedly.

“Yeah, but places that actually look after their tinys don't tend to need so many new ones, I think most people who get shrunk end up in places like this.”

“Do you think a lot of people treat us like as bad as they do here?”

“Rich people are all the same.” The bitterness was clear in Steve's voice. “Natasha and Karen have friends over sometimes, some are just as cruel as them, some aren't so bad but they still don't care about us. Some rich folk might treat their tinys better, but they still only keep us around as pets, it's still just a power trip.” He paused for a moment. “That said... It would be nice to be somewhere where people weren't as sadistic.”

There was a long pause before John spoke again “Isn't there a daughter here? And her boyfriend lives here they said. What are they like?”

“Lenina & Sol, Sol doesn't really live here, but he seems to spend most of his time here. They're...” Steve trailed of before saying bluntly. “They're bad, you wanna stay out of their way as much as you can.”

 

As they were talking John and Steve managed to cover a significant distance on foot as they crossed the vast hallway they could hear the sound of a television coming out of the living room. Though John was apprehensive at the idea of entering a room where the giants were he followed Steve though the nearly closed door. As they entered they could see Natasha and Karen on the sofa, Karen was still wearing the same dress from earlier, at her feet were her sandals, John noticed someone inside the sandal scrubbing a reddish stain slightly larger than a person. Natasha was propped against her resting her head on her shoulder, she'd clearly showered since John saw her earlier and was wearing a white dressing gown and white open healed slippers. Her legs were crossed and she was dangling her slipper from the toes of her raised foot. John could see some stains on the sole which were the same red colour as was on Karens sandal. He felt sick looking at them, he didn't say anything to Steve though, he didn't think he could handle talking about it. As they made their way into the room the thick carpet made it difficult to walk. John thought about the times he'd been told to keep out of the way, he wondered how, should he find himself in this room at the wrong time, how he would get out of the giants way before it was too late. Almost as if he were a mind reader Steve spoke out. “This room is the worst. You can't get around quickly, none of our vehicles can drive on the carpet and hardly any of the furniture has any easy way to access it. If you wanna clean the sofa or arm chairs you gotta climb the fabric.”

“What if we need to get down quick?” John asked. “In emergencies.”

“You can't.” Steve sighed. “If you're really desperate you can jump. But you don't really wanna be rolling around injured at their feet either.” John shuddered at the thought.

 

Their conversation was interrupted as Karen let out a loud yawn and stretched out her arms and legs, she slammed her feet down again, making the tiny who was toiling in her sandal visibly jump.

“I'm heading to bed, Hun” She said sweetly to Natasha. As she rose from the sofa “Don't be to long.” She added before giving her a quick kiss on the cheek. She seemed completely different from the domineering women who John had met earlier.

“I won't.” Came Natashas reply as she sprawled across the sofa and Karen made her way to the door.

“Don't worry, we're not in the way” Steve reassured John, they were still fairly close to the door as the giantess approached, they could feel the ground vibrate with every step, John watched as he saw her feet land firmly on the ground and sink into the soft carpet as she walked past. He could almost feel her power radiating from her in a way he couldn't appreciate earlier when he was still dazed from the shrinking and his fall. Steve gave John a moment to collect himself after she had gone. “You'll get used to it.” he said. The tour soon continued as they made their way upstairs, there was a large elevator alongside the stairs for tiny use. As they went up they saw a team of people cleaning the stairs. As they made their way across the landing they felt the vibrations of footsteps coming towards them. They kept walking close to the wall as Karen, now in grey pyjamas, made her way past them towards the bathroom, the ground seemed to shake even more now they were upstairs. They could hear her brushing her teeth as they continued towards the bathroom themselves, soon she came out and passed them again, John wondered how long it would take for him to get used to such encounters. The rest of the tour passed without event and they started back towards the kitchen. As they took the elevator down the stairs Natasha left the living room and started climbing them, as they passed the step being cleaned John thought he saw a worker disappear beneath her slipper, but the step had soon gone from their view as they continued downwards so he couldn't be sure.