- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Writer's block finally eroded.
* * * * *


ZACATECAS, MEXICO (1874)

[From THE MEMOIRS OF "MALARKEY" JOHNSON]

"Between his height advantage, atop Becky's head, and the sharpshootin' he'd learned from Echota Reardon, Dooley had better luck pickin' off the Jaguar Knights, as opposed to the other way round. Unfortunately, the ammo belts criss-crossin' his chest were startin' to run low on bullets for his Winchester. And, all the remainin' reloads were in Gunmetal's saddlebags, back where he and Becky had left El Peyotero to guard the horses!"

"When he said as much to Becky (whose giant-sized ears had no trouble pickin' up his point blank 'whispers'), she told him to cease firin' and grab on tight to one of her locks of red hair. So, as soon as he'd re-sheathed the rifle into the scabbard on his back, he did just that. Whereupon..."

"...she began playin' hopscotch."

"Now, mind you, she was still a hundred feet tall, and still buck naked. So, the Jaguar Knights must've thought she'd gone plum loco in her cabeza! At first, anyway. But, pretty soon, it became downright obvious there was method to her madness. Namely; the moment her right foot came down atop one of them pagan fanatics!"

"Well, sir! The rest of 'em started high-tailin' for their horses. Lookin' to mount back up and scatter to the four winds! But, Becky was already way ahead of 'em. Scarin' those horses into stampedin' away, completely riderless. And, after that? She continued playin' hopscotch all over that mountainside forest. Crushin' all the other Jaguar Knights--quite literally--underfoot."

"All, that is, except for Nestor Ramos Aguilar. Him, she spared, as per her earlier promise. Namely; puttin' him down her hatch! Though, not afore gettin' him to tell her where, in Ciudad Veracruz, he was supposed to drop off his latest 'cargo.' "

" 'A c-c-compania along the waterfront,' he managed to gasp out (through the pain of his broken ribs): 'The Delta Import/Export Company. Owned by a gringo named L-L-L-Lebaron.' "

" 'Muchos gracias, pendejo,' " she'd replied: " 'Y, adios.' "

" 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo!' "

" 'GULP!' "

"After that, El Peyotero came down from his hidin' place, leadin' the two horses. By which time, Becky had easily snapped all the chains on the Yaqui and Huichol captives. Only when that was accomplished did she shrink back down to normal, so she could get re-dressed into her ridin' clothes. And, while she was a-busy doin' that, Dooley went round on Gunmetal, gatherin' up all of the Jaguar Knight horses. Naturally, there weren't enough of the latter for _all_ the captives to ride! But, most of the women, children, and old folks could do so, while the able-bodied men went afoot."

"Then, just afore all them liberated Injuns proceeded to start back for western Mexico, Becky told El Peyotero to start off without her and Dooley."

"As she explained it: 'We're fixin' to pay that company a not-so-little visit.' "

"Now, most folks old enough to remember that particular outfit will probably tell you that the Mexican branch of that business went bankrupt as a result of bein' nationalized by Presidente' Diaz. But, the real truth of the matter is this: Becky kept her promise."

"Two days after liberatin' El Peyotero's people, Dooley and Becky rode into Ciudad Veracruz along about midnight. And, after goin' up and down the main thoroughfare of the waterfront a couple times, they spotted the front window of the place they was lookin' for."

"DELTA IMPORT/EXPORT CO.
Richard T. Lebaron, Pres."

"The two of 'em dismounted. And, while Dooley watched both horses, Becky crept round to the back door of the place, through an alley to their right. And, the moment she got there, she disrobed. So she could resume her hundred foot-height, of course!"

"After that? Well, let's just say she...raised the roof."

tbc