- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

So here it is. The chapter that once was. I have no idea if this will better or worse than what was previously posted and read so as you can imagine I'm a bit nervous. All I can say about it is it's longer and I feel maybe a little sadder? I ultimitaly leave it up to you the reader to decide.

 

 

 

 

Tales from the New World Chapter 9: The More Things Change

                Greg woke in the Ramona’s warm hold still groggy from the night before. He had to admit he enjoyed some of the new side effects of her elevation, he couldn’t complain when he was dating essentially a super model; even if he did feel awkward when they walked down the street together. He felt her hand grip his head and press him into her prominent cleavage. Greg squirmed in her arms as he struggled for air. Ramona’s elevation had its share of downsides as well. She had always been eager and possessive in bed; a trait that never used to bother Greg, but it didn’t partner well with her new strength and size. He was often thankful when he woke in the morning.

                Greg pushed with all his might against Ramona’s chest earning a pleased moan in response as she pressed him inward once again. It was clear he wasn’t leaving until she was ready. He was forced to wiggle just to free his head and get enough room to breathe. It took some effort but eventually he found a position he was comfortable in. It was odd he didn’t remember sleeping in such position; with his head to her chest and her sleeping at a forty-five degree angle. He twisted in a 180. With his back now to her he was still pinned under her arm but at least he could breathe and see.

                Greg had to double take. He was sure his mind was playing tricks on him. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath surely when he opened them everything would change back to normal. They didn’t. He held a gasp as he realized what happened. It wasn’t really a surprise it had been happening for some time, but this one was the most jarring. He looked down to see his feet dangling between Ramona’s legs as they stretched past his and clear off the bed! She had grown… again.

                “Ramona.” Greg pressed a hand against her shoulder and shook it slightly. She didn’t budge.

                “Ramona wake up.” He said slightly louder. He heard a yawn and an annoyed grunt.

                “Ramona!” he repeated. She groaned louder.

                “Go back to sleep.” She wined. Suddenly Greg found himself being turned around and his lips captured by Ramona’s. The kiss was soft and tender and almost enough to lull him back to sleep. She then moved his head back toward her chest and he could feel his eyes start to close. She lifted his legs with her other arm and soon he was in the fetal position nestled contently against her. She then raised her own legs and readjusted to a more comfortable placement. Greg let out a yawn. Ramona was right he should go back to sleep. This could wait a couple of hours. NO! Greg forced his eyes open. This had been happening more and more. Over the past month he’d been living with her she had slowly been adjusting him to her way of living. He was suddenly joining her on morning walks and eating healthier, and ironically enough sleeping later.

                “This is important!” he blurted. Of course his face was covered and all Ramona heard was a muffled grunt. She cursed. It had almost worked. She reluctantly released him from the cuddle.

                “Is it important enough that it can’t wait a couple hours?” she argued.

                “Yes.” Greg defended. His eyes turned serious. “You’ve grown again.”

                Ramona’s eyes snapped open. She rose letting Greg fall into her lap. She stretched her legs out and was surprised to see them hover over the edge of their king sized bed.

                “I guess we need a new bed.” She smiled down to him.

 

                “You’re not taking this seriously!” Greg shot.

                “That’s because you’re making a big deal out of nothing!” Ramona returned. “Since when is self-improvement a bad thing?” The morning had been tense for the couple. Ramona wasn’t nearly as concerned about her growth spurt as she should be and was refusing to see a doctor.

                “Promise me you’ll see a specialist!” Greg shot back.

                “Fine!” she snapped. “If it will shut you the hell up!” She ended her statement by slamming the titanium spatula into the counter. It snapped in half like a twig the head of which flew past Greg missing him by inches and embedding itself in the wall. It had happened to fast for Greg to notice but Ramona had and he found himself inexplicably tucked into her arms. He looked up at her not entirely sure what had happened.

                “Breakfast’s ready.” She smiled sheepishly. She took her seat at the table Greg still in her arms. He sat between her legs his back against her taught abdomen and his head against her breasts.

                “This isn’t really necessary.” He revealed.

                “Indulge me.” She smiled putting on her best puppy dog look. Greg melted almost instantly.

                He couldn’t exactly argue. This was often his favorite position before she elevated. He had to suppress a dirty smile as he remembered how often he could use this position to transition into other enjoyable activities. They’d adopted the reverse a week after he moved in and he found himself wondering if she did it for the same reasons.

                “I’m sorry about that.” Ramona whispered leaning her head toward the spatula that was now embedded in the brick of their apartment wall.

                “It’s okay. I know you have problems with doctors.”

                “Your right, I should see someone. I’ll see if Mary knows anyone good when I see her today.”

                “Mary huh, how long since you’ve talked to her.”

                “Over three months.” Mary sighed. “Even longer since we’ve seen each other.”

                “Why’d she decide to call now?”

                “I have an idea but I’d rather not talk about it.” Ramona dismissed.

                Greg dropped the subject. He knew without asking she was talking about Walter. He’d never met Ramona’s older brother but he’d heard some unflattering stories. Mary must have been terrified.

                “No matter the reason it will be good to see Mary again.” Greg noted.

                “Yeah.” Ramona said with a light smile.

 

                Mary checked her watch nervously. It was 9:30. She’d told Ramona she didn’t have to arrive until ten so she could have some time to herself. She took a sip of her coffee it was a straight black and the heat from it helped calm her down. It was hard not to be anxious. How long had it been since they’d seen each other? She remembered rushing over when her parents told her Ramona elevated. She had been so happy for her sister, yet as time passed the visits just stopped. It was too hard to see her. Ramona used to be so nervous and shy. She had looked up to her since they were kids all the way through college, but now that self-conscious, geeky little girl had bloomed into something far beyond anything Mary could even comprehend. There were no more late night phone calls, no more wardrobe advice, she even seemed to figure out how to reel in Greg.   As hard as she tried she just couldn’t maintain the illusion of being her big sister. The hard truth was Ramona just didn’t need her anymore. She had literally and mentally been out grown.

                She continued to sit on the bench at the end of the mall just watching as people went about their business. It was interesting to see just how much humanity had changed in the last decade. She was one of the upper levels so she had a clear view of the bottom of the courtyard. Multiple people of different heights and appearances walked about. A class 1 man was lumbering about with what looked like three little girls hanging off his shoulders. There was another Class 1 woman who ran up to meet him and they both embraced as one of the girls climbed from one parents shoulder to the others. Another woman had a pair of red bird wings and feathers seemed to sprout from the top of her head mixing with her hair. She flew up from the courtyard to the upper decks and continued shopping as casually as one would walk down the road.

                It dawned on Mary that this was the new normal. To these people didn’t think they were doing anything amazing. They were just casually living their lives and now she was the one that was different. A “normal” as they said although the acceptable term was non-elevated person. Suddenly a large shadow was cast over the deck she was sitting on.

                “Um excuse me?” rang a loud voice.

                Mary looked up to see the giant face of a class 2 woman staring at her. She looked to be in her late twenties though she was quite possibly older. Time had a strange effect on people depending on when they elevated.

                “Can I help you?” Mary asked politely.

                “I’m sorry to bother you, but I’m new to town and was wondering if this was Market Square?”

                “No this is Market Plaza.” Mary explained. “Market Square is about five blocks west of here.”

                The giantess’ face scrunched in confusion. Suddenly she reached a hand toward Mary in a rather rough grip and lifted her in the air. “Could you point me in the right direction?” she asked.

                Normally Mary like anyone would have been taken aback by this sudden breach of her personal space but she spent almost every day around class 2’s so she was used to spontaneous lift and carry. She knew the woman wasn’t purposefully trying to be rude it was just part of how class 2’s think. It took her a few moments to adjust to the sudden shift in perspective. She looked down to anchor herself and to her surprise she met eyes with a young class 2 girl clutching the woman’s hand on top of her head was another child a young boy with what looked like white hair and two small horns protruding from his forehead. They both waved at her with shy smiles. She broke the gaze to look back out toward the horizon.

                “You see those series of buildings that look lower than the rest?” She said pointing towards Market Square.

                “I think so.”  The woman responded.

                “ There is a red one at the back and a fountain in the middle.”

                “Yes I see it!” she cheered.

                “That’s Market Square.” Mary informed. Suddenly she was rushed through the air as the woman placed her back down on the deck. She felt a sudden dizziness from the quick movement.

                “Thank you very much!” The woman beamed.

                “Um, no problem?” Mary smiled. They exchanged one last nod before the group walked off. Mary sat back down on the bench and frowned to see that her coffee had fallen over most likely from the tremors caused by the class 2. She grumbled in the annoyed realization that she’d have to buy another one.

                “That was a nice thing you did.” Mary heard in a familiar voice. It startled her and she jumped out of her seat. When she turned a flood of different emotions entered her brain. She was now staring at her “little” sister and she looked to be easily twelve feet tall.

 

Walter walked up the stairs to his sister’s apartment. It was a tight one bedroom in the backstreets of the western part of the city close to the docks. Travel another block and you’d be in the water. He reached her door and peered through the window. The sight of her meager apartment still furnished with that ratty sofa she’d be given by their parents had all but confirmed to him that she still lived there. With no further encouragement needed he placed his hand on the door knob. A few quick vibrations and he’d managed to free the lock and stroll right in. It was too easy.

 

“Hey.” Mary greeted. There was an air of tension around them. It was hard for her to figure out proper words. “You’ve grown.”

“Yeah it’s been happening for about a month. “ She turned her head. “So I can guess what this is about.”

“We don’t have to talk about him yet.” Mary reached for her sister’s hand. It was so big now, so powerful. To her surprise Ramona wrapped her fingers around hers. She was suddenly pulled forward and lifted into Ramona.

“I’ve missed you.” She hugged then separated looking into her eyes. “So what’s the plan for today?”

Mary inspected Ramona. She was wearing a rather large red tracksuit and open toed sandals. “I have the day off so my schedule’s wide open. I do have to do some furniture shopping and pick up a few things.”

“Can we add clothes shopping to the list? I’ve sort of out grown what I have.”

 

Here place was fairly empty like it always was. Mary had always lived pretty sparingly. Walter looked around. She wasn’t home.  That made things simpler. He headed toward the kitchen and scanned the cabinets. There was nothing of particular interest to him. He guessed Mary was either a vegetarian now or she ate out a lot. He grabbed a bag of what he thought were chips and took a seat on her couch. He grabbed the remote and switched on the T.V.  Watching television by yourself was a luxury most wouldn’t understand.

 

Mary stood silently outside a stall in the women’s dressing room a small sheet of red curtain dividing her and her sister.  She stared upward at a headless bust of Amazonian proportion. They had decided to stop at Aphrodite’s a lingerie store that catered to elevated women. It seemed to loom over her as if stating that even it an inanimate object was somehow better than her. She inspected its contours. Broad shoulders, a tight waist with a six pack sculpted into the plastic, a bust that seemed to be straining against the confines of its brassiere. In some ways it was better than her.

“I could use some help in here.” Ramona ‘s voice echoed from her stall. Mary walked into the amusing image of her sister attempting in earnest to clasp her bra shut. “This back clasps are such a pain.” She groaned.

Mary reached forward causing Ramona to bend down. As she fastened the clasp she quietly marveled as Ramona’s back. It was defined with toned muscle that would be the envy of any body builder. It was as if her superiority were on display in front of her in all its chiseled glory. It was hard to look at but for some reason she couldn’t look away. It was something that no amount of hard work could achieve, you had to be born this way and for a brief moment, for the first time in her life Mary wished that she had been lucky enough to be gifted with it.

“Are you okay?” Ramona asked with concern.

Mary snapped out of her trance. She hadn’t realized that she was staring, and crying apparently. She wiped away a tear as she stared at her sister who was now sporting a rather low cut lacy red top.

“I’m fine.” Mary recovered eyeing the top. “I guess this one’s for Greg.”

“Yeah.” Ramona blushed. “You think he’ll like it?”

“Why wouldn’t he?” Mary joked.

“I think he’s getting tired of me!” Ramona revealed not bothering to hide the worry in her voice.

“What!?” Mary couldn’t believe any man could get tired of sleeping with the equivalent of a red headed Wonder Woman.

“He’s been falling asleep in bed after we’ve, ya know.” Ramona cried. “I have to find a way to keep him interested. “

Mary couldn’t hide the smile on her face. “How often have you been doing it?”

“You know the average amount.” Ramona blushed. “Two or three times.”

                Mary gave her a knowing stare. It was no secret that they had been physical in high school. Not to mention her activities when they were on their infamous break. If she was still like that now she couldn’t imagine what Greg was going through.

                “Maybe give him a break every now and then.” Mary advised. “It’s got to be hard satisfying a woman with you r... stamina.”

                Ramona had to turn to hide the blush on her face.

 

                Walter flipped through the stations with a disappointed scowl; 300 hundred stations and nothing to watch. He was equally disappointed by his “chips” which were actually crispy pita wafers. They were dry and looked and tasted like they were made of chalk. First thing he would have Mary do when she returned was cook him a decent “just been released from jail” meal.

                With nothing to eat and even less to watch Walter’s mind drifted. He closed his eyes ready to focus. He had to figure out a plan. He knew that he could stay at Mary’s pretty much indefinitely but that wouldn’t put money in his pocket and looking at her place he was sure he would need that. The problem was his only notable skills were in crime and that was getting more complicated. His particular brand of capitalism was actively being snuffed out by the legal system. He saw first-hand how a new freshly elevated populous was entering the criminal justice system. Super smart lawyers, giant cops or ones that could fly, all backed by government funding. He wasn’t smart enough to practice the new wave of cyber-crime that was now the vogue and anything you could steal with your hands would require a crew. A crew he didn’t have. That only left drugs which he didn’t have the passion for, or the customer base.  Maybe he could donate. It was an honest living and a class 3 like him would make a killing giving hope to desperate normals eager at the chance to have an elevated kid. It was an okay idea but he had the fear that a decade or two he would receive a knock on the door and meet a superfast red headed boy or girl saying daddy. He couldn’t stifle his cringe.

                He opened his eyes frustrated that he hadn’t found a solution the whole process taking less than a second. That was just how fast he thought now. He relished in the fact that no matter what he decided he was sure it would work out. He was an elevated now, and not just any elevated but a class 3. He wouldn’t succeed because he was smart or charismatic or even a hard worker. It was simply law of nature. He was fast in a slow world.

 

                “I don’t understand why you’re making such a big deal out of this.” Ramona commented as she bit into an oversized slice of combination pizza. Both women were sitting on the deck of the McKracken Bros Italian bar and grill.

                “It’s because we care.” Mary said taking a bite out of her comically large slice of pepperoni. “You’re a class 3! Who knows what could be happening to you?”

                “It’s not a bad thing! It’s not like I’m dying.” Ramona deflected.

                “What if you wake up one morning and you’re the size of a house?!”

                “Then I’d be considered short, by class 2 standards. It wouldn’t even be news.”

                Mary grumbled, she just wasn’t getting it. Not much was known about class 3’s. It was pretty much public knowledge that it was where the government dumped anyone who didn’t fit their criteria. Her health was more important now than it had ever been. “Either way I’m scheduling you an appointment with Dr. Isiah. He’s at the head of his field in elevated medical research and Emily’s family doctor.”

                “Fine.” Ramona relented. “But if this turns out to be nothing I’m not seeing another doctor for the rest of my life.”

                The two sat and ate the rest of their meal, Ramona pretty much devouring her slice while Mary barely managed half and had to save the rest. They sat in silence just enjoying the nice weather and each other’s company when Ramona decided to break the silence.

                “So you ready to talk about it?” She asked.

                “About what?”

                “The real reason you called me.” She paused for a moment. “Are you ready to talk about Walter?”

                Just hearing his name sent a cold chill down the back of Mary’s spine. Memories suddenly jumped into her head of the years she had to live under his torment. “I’m sorry, this is wrong.” Mary stood up to leave when Ramona reached out and pulled her back. Upon inspection she could see tears in her older sister’s eyes.

                “What’s wrong?!” She asked with fear. She hadn’t expected her to react so poorly to just hearing his name.

                “Me!” Mary screamed. “We can’t just pretend that nothing’s happened that I didn’t just abandon you because I was.” She couldn’t finish her sentence.

                “Afraid of me.” Ramona completed. Mary’s eyes opened in shock at the reveal that her sister knew her greatest shame.

                “I just.”

                “Thought I would end up like Walter, that elevation would change me, make me see you as less of a person and not the big sister you are.”

                Mary’s tongue caught in her throat. She tried to find the words but she could only produce low sobs of anguish. Ramona took her sister in a tight hug. “You know I could never see you like that right. I-I don’t even know where I would be if you weren’t there.”  Ramona had seen what Mary went through when Walter elevated. He’d always been rather troubled getting into crime at an early age, when he elevated he went completely out of control pretty much running the house on pure intimidation. He often tormented and belittled Mary, stealing or outright taking any money that came through the house.  It only stopped when their parents elevated and he suddenly stopped staying at the house. It wouldn’t have been so bad if Mary weren’t a fighter. It was inspiring to see her normal older sister constantly confront a person who could out pace a racecar and do any sort of unspeakable things with that power. In hindsight it was amazing Walter had any restraint at all considering what he could do to her.

                During those four years it hadn’t dawned on Ramona why Mary was fighting so much but when she elevated she had an epiphany (one of many). It had been for her. Ramona was spared the brunt of Walter because he was too preoccupied with Mary. She’d never thanked her for that.

                “I’m so selfish.” Mary wept. “I only called you because I needed something. You must think I’m so pathetic. I can’t expect you to forgive me.”

                “There’s nothing to forgive.” Ramona consoled. “I could never think you were pathetic. You’re the strongest person I know.” It was true even if her sister was being crushed under the pressure of the new world. A pressure every normal now faced.

                “We can deal with Walter. He won’t do anything while I’m there.”

                For a while Mary didn’t say anything just softly weeping in Ramona’s shoulder. “Thank you.” She finally uttered and Ramona was pleased to see her crying had stopped.

 

                It was getting late in the afternoon and Walter was starting to wonder if Mary would ever show up. Did she even live here anymore? He was starting to have his doubts even if her bills and a few family photos have proved the otherwise. He glanced at a picture of the entire family on vacation to Disney World. A young Walter was carrying an even younger Ramona on his shoulders. They both wore Mickey Mouse ears. Mary was kneeling down in front to fit into the picture and hugging a Donald Duck mascot while his parents were embracing each other in the back.  They all seemed so happy. He sniffed himself and became acutely aware of his prison funk. It was time for a shower.

 

                Mary had calmed down. Ramona was relieved to see her sister more composed. She hadn’t known she was going through so much. She decided it wouldn’t be another six months before they see each other again. “So what’s next?” She asked.

                “I have to pick up some furniture.” Mary answered.

                “Another one of Emily’s crazy whims?” Ramona joked. She’d scene Emily’s show and knew how demanding the class 2 celebrity could be.

                “Actually it’s for me.” Mary reached into her purse, when her hand returned it was brandishing a shiny black credit card with the words Master Class written in Gold cursive. “She gave me this and told me to “Go crazy!”.” Mary use air quotes to accentuate her statement.

                “You don’t say?” Ramona giggled coyly.

                “What?” Mary asked not missing the inflection. “It is a little strange and unnecessary considering how small my place is and the fact that.”

                “You sleep in her room.” Ramona finished.

                “Yes.” Mary blinked at Ramona’s sudden prediction.

                “Oh my god!” Ramona laughed. “I was joking! You really sleep in her room?!”

                “Sometimes!” Mary blurted suddenly defensive. “We work late and it just sort of happens. Her beds pretty comfortable and she doesn’t snore.”

                Ramona almost broke into a fit of pure hysteria. “Someone has a girlfriend.” She teased much like a child would.

                “NO!” Mary denied. “Were just good friends.”

                “Why else would she give you that credit card. It must have a limit of a billion dollars. You don’t give someone that to furnish a one bedroom hole in the wall.”

                “She probably didn’t have any cash on her.” Mary defended. “She doesn’t really pay me much so this is like… a perk.”

                “She wants you to move in. She has a huge crush on you!”

                “No. She just, appreciates a good worker.”

                “It’s so obvious Mare.” Ramona insisted. “Why do you think she followed you around in high school.”

                “I was an athlete, and smart, and likable.” Mary said adamantly.

                “And hot, and have a tight ass.” Ramona added causing Mary to blush.

                “I’m her secretary!” Mary noted. “I answer her calls, and make her appointments.”

                “And give her an excuse to keep you close to her at all times.” Ramona smiled. “How often have you been sleeping in her bed since you started staying there?”

                “Every n-….  Oh, my.” Mary blushed as the realization hit her. She suddenly understood why Emily insisted she sleep in her cleavage. The class 2 had explained it was because she rolled in her sleep and didn’t want to accidentally crush her friend. Now it seemed there was a secondary reason. “What do I do? I haven’t dated in years.”

                “Maybe we should stop at Victoria’s Secret and pick you up something sexy!” Ramona mocked. Mary face continued to remain rose red. She definitely had to make more time for her sister. Apparently she had missed a lot.

 

                Walter sat spread eagle across the couch in fresh clothes he found hanging from a wire outside the apartment window. He wasn’t sure whose they were but they were men’s and they fit so he didn’t care. He reached for the remote and turned on the T.V. The sun was setting and Mary still hadn’t shown up. He was almost certain she wouldn’t show up today. He didn’t know what she did with her time but it must have kept her busy. As if on cue he heard the metallic click of a key in the door and a surprised gasp at the realization that the lock was broken. He turned with a smile on his face to see his little sister stare at him blankly from the other side of the open doorframe.

                “Hi sis. “ He said nonchalant.

                Mary almost turned and left. The sight of him was more painful than she imagined made worse by the fact that he looked almost exactly like she remembered. It felt like she’d just returned home form school to see him waiting for her. Suddenly a hand came to rest at her shoulder. That’s right. Ramona was here. She wasn’t alone.

                “It’s so good to see you!” Walter smiled in an instant he rushed from the couch to embrace her in a rather tender hug, an action that caught her off guard. “I’ve missed you so much.” He rushed over to wrap his arms around Ramona.

                “And you to Ra Ra.” He said calling her an old pet name she’d earned because when she was a toddler she would have trouble pronouncing her name.

                “Just look at you!” he beamed staring up at her. “Mom told me you’d elevated but it’s not something you believe until you see it.”

                “Enough Walter.” Ramona fumed. “Why are you here.”

                “I was just released.” Walter mused. “So as you can imagine I could use a place to stay.”

                “No.” Ramona spoke stone faced.

                ‘I don’t think that’s your decision to make.” Walter looked toward Mary who was forced  to turn her head.  “I’m sorry Walter but I just can’t.”

                “That means no.” Ramona added. “Find somewhere else. Maybe mom and dad can take you in. I’m sure they miss you. Or are you too intimidated now that mom can crush you flat as a pancake.”

                “No.” Walter returned copying his sister’s tone.”

                “I can make you if I have to.” Ramona warned.

                “Oh that’s cute.” Walter mocked. “You gonna fight all of Mary’s battles for her? Not that you even have the guts to-.“ In an instant Walter was pushed back something massive crashing against his face. He spun I in the air as he flew across the apartment into the opposite wall.

                “You didn’t kill him did you!” Mary cried.

                “Please.” Ramona dismissed. “That was a love tap.”

                “Well someone came to play!” Walter commented still bent over on the floor then he was gone and Ramona was greeted with a stinging open palmed slap to the face. She turned to defend when another hit her opposite cheek, then another, and another. Walter sped around her peppering his youngest sister with bracing slaps across her body. Until he came to a stop in front of her his hands raw and red.

                “It’s like hitting a brick wall!” He laughed. The left side of his face was completely swollen and fresh blood was trickling from his nose.

                “You annoying little shit!” Ramona shrieked.

                “What are you so upset about!” Walter grinned. “I think you won that one.” For all his efforts Ramona was more or less unfazed; only sporting some frazzled hair and red hand print from his first initial slap.

                “Leave Walter!” She shouted. “Before I get serious!” Her eyes started to glow white as her feet slowly left the ground.

                “So we’re done playing then.” Walter sped into the kitchen before returning with a large cutting knife.

                “STOP!” Mary shouted surprising both her siblings. “Walter can have the apartment!”

                “What!?” They both spoke in unison wearing the same surprised expression.

                “He can have it.” She clarified in a softer tone. “I don’t have much here anyway.”

                Ramona floated to the ground her eyes returning to normal. “You don’t have to do that.”

                Mary walked over to her brother. He was thinner than usual and his eyes had heavy rings under them. It was clear despite how he acted that prison was tough on him. To her surprise she hugged him.

                “I’m sorry, but I can’t be around you not yet.” She released the hug. “The apartments paid through the year. After that you’re on your own.”

                “Thanks, Mare.” Walter managed. “Maybe I’ll see you around?”

                His sisters said nothing as they left out the apartment closing the door behind them. When he was sure they had left. Walter went to the kitchen and retrieved some ice. He slumped onto the couch nursing his injury. He would have to watch out for Ramona. His little sister had one hell of a right hook.

 

Epilogue

 

                Barbara strode down the hospital passing hall after identical hall until she reached room 301. She opened the door and saw her daughter for the first time since she’d elevated. She had been in suspense ever since receiving a late night phone call from her excited little girl. She was beautiful at her new height and what looked like an extra set of arms. She was sitting in a seat next to another girl who looked elevated herself. She had elevated friends!

                “Mom?” Amanda reacted.

                “What are you doing here?” Came a hard voice she recognized as her ex-husband David Stout.

                “I’m still listed as your emergency contact.” She informed with a casual toss of her black hair.

                Dave seemed slightly amused at this giving a small laugh. “I didn’t think you cared.”

                “You think that little of me? It sounded like you might die.” Barbara noted. “I wanted to at least be there for that. I owe you that much.”  The two stared at  each other and the temperature of the room seemed to drop.

                “I think we should  check to see if we can get your dad some more pillows.” Amanda’s dark haired friend suggested.

                “Sure.” She agreed. “It’s good to see you mom.” She briefly hugged Barbara before they both left the room.

                “Why are you really here?” Dave asked  all business.

                “Always straight to the point.” Barbara remarked. “I always liked that about you.”

                Dave didn’t respond.

                “Okay I’ll be blunt.” She continued. “I want Amanda to move in with me.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

So that was it. The chapter formerly known as "Sibling Rivalry"  for better or worse. I feel bad pooring more shit on Dave but it feels like that's what would naturally happen given his situation....Still it's kind of a downer. :(

Irrelevent side info: The class 2 girl in this chapter sneeks her brother into school to help her cheat on math tests.