- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Not much action this chapter just lots of boring DIALOUGE! Next chapter better have an explosion and chainsaw nunchuk wielding sumo ninjas.

Tales of the New World Chapter 6: What Defines Them

            The breeze crept in chilling the room in frigid morning air a keen partner to the dread that dwelled in Jack’s heart. One word had sealed his fate. One word had been his undoing. One word had definitively killed any pretense of his former life.

            It was so sudden, too sudden. For what seemed like an eternity he’d sat in her palm staring blankly as Liana’s breath warmed him against the frost of the evening air. They had said nothing. He was lost in her eyes an iridescent green that shimmered in the night. Then she said those four words.

            “Will you marry me?”

            The words hit him hard, a heavy weight upon his shoulders. He didn’t answer. He couldn’t answer. Could he live, could he love something so far beyond him? He was crushed under the pressure. Her eyes stared back expecting an answer, demanding one! He had to say something. He wanted to say something else. In the end he couldn’t defy her. Not when he could be so easily snuffed out. He was only a candle fighting against a hurricane.

            “Yes.” He whispered to himself.

            Her eyes flickered only slightly; a moment that would go unseen to anyone on her scale. To him it was her tell; a glimpse at her true intentions. What they were he did not know. Just one of many things he would have to learn.

            “I’m so happy.” She smiled a single tear streaming down her face, a tremble in her voice. It was a farce. It had to be. He couldn’t possible matter to her…could he? No he was a pawn, a pet. Her fingers encircled around him cuddling him in a warm embrace. Jack looked on in reverence. This was his home now whether he wanted it or not. His life was literally in her hands.

           

            That was a week ago. Things had moved quickly since then and the wedding was only a month away. Already invitations had been sent to a short and very exclusive list of celebrities and significant elevated persons. It was even televised. Jack didn’t want a public marriage and surprisingly neither did Liana but it was something both their parents had been adamant about.

            Jack rose from his makeshift bed. It was a small red pillow that had sat in the corner of Liana’s room. The room was quiet and calm as the morning rays were starting to break keeping the cold at bay. He took a deep breath stretching his arms and legs. He looked around. The pillow was itself on Liana’s massive bed. An expanse of soft fabric and silks spread out before him as far as the horizon. He immediately noticed the lack of his fiancé’s imposing form. For the past week they had been inseparable. They spoke very little but for some reason she insisted on carrying him around like an accessory. Apparently this too was tradition. They slept together, ate together, even bathed together to his great embarrassment. He hadn’t even been able to see his mother. Yet know he was alone.

            Jack appreciated the solitude. He needed time to think. Could he really go through with this? He knew what his family wanted, what his mother wanted. This was the smart decision; wed Liana and be taken care of for the rest of your life, but he didn’t want to be taken care of. He didn’t want to be the puppet of the Bretmiss family or Liana’s trophy. He knew this wasn’t only for him. It would help the family. It was going to cement the Tolli’s for the next generation. As powerful as his family was they couldn’t fight the changing times. Eventually they would be overtaken by an economy with “elevated interests” the only reason they were afloat for now was because his mother had the foresight to capitalize on this change and push the business toward retrofitting jobs to accommodate the needs of the new populous, but that would only last so long. Even now other businesses were popping up, some weren’t as good as Tolli but they were cheaper and that cut into their profits. The Bretmiss line would help further expand Tolli in the global market and shine light away from their “shadier” dealings in the past. But what did Liana get? This entire arrangement seemed to only profit the Tolli’s wouldn’t she be better off marrying some elevated aristocrat?

            Jack rubbed his forehead. He hated family politics. He stumbled toward the end of the bed. Looking he guessed it was at least a twenty foot drop. He sighed. He was trapped until Liana returned. Was this the rest of his life?

 

            Liana entered her room. The lights were out just like she’d left them, the bed was made just like she’d left it, and her little fiancé was laying on his pillow just like she’d left him. It was all so easy. She’d worried at first that he would dismiss such a sudden proposal but he was more passive than she could have imagined. She leaned down to her knees resting on her elbows looking down at him. He caught her eyes lying on his back. They stood there for a silent moment holding the eye contact. They were still in the courting period and she worried the bond between them would falter with her absence, even if it was only for a moment.

            “Hungry?” she asked breaking the silence. She received a light nod. She sighed he was still afraid of her. Fear would do for now but she hoped it would soon be replaced with something else. She wrapped her fingers around him lifting him from the pillow. Only his head poked out from the lock she had on him. His expression was blank then an almost untraceable smirk betrayed him. She smiled back. At least they’d gotten this far. She placed him on her shoulder with the utmost care. He grabbed one of her raven black locks as she left the room.

 

            The kitchen was empty much like the rest of the manor. The only other people Jack had seen were the two maids that he occasionally glimpsed in passing. It was still a mystery what purpose they served.

            “Are we the only ones here?” Jack asked.

            “Of course.” Liana replied as she cut up a potato into thin slices. “We’ll stay here alone until the wedding.” She placed the slices in a pan with oil.

            “I still don’t understand all of this.” Jack started to shiver. He’d have to tell her eventually. Let her know that he had doubts. That he wanted to call this whole thing off.

            “It’s so we can know each other.” Liana removed the crisps from the oil and lightly seasoned them with salt and garlic.

            “No I mean I don’t understand us.” Jack admitted. He took a deep breath. This was it. “I don’t want to get married.” He closed his eyes waiting for her giant hand to crush him flat. It never came. Instead he felt one finger brush softly against his back, then another wrap around his mid-section as she plucked him from her shoulder. He was placed on the kitchen table next to the plate of crispy fried potatoes and other fresh vegetables. She pulled up a chair and sat in front of him.

            “Then what do you want?” she asked in a calm tone. Her face was unreadable.

            “I want to be with someone who loves me.” He managed.

            “I love you.” She said, then the glint in her eyes.

            “You’re lying. I can tell.”

            She smiled.

 

            She’d underestimated him. He was perceptive and had more courage than Liana had thought. He would make a fine husband indeed. In a way she was relieved by his revelation. It wouldn’t be as fun if she didn’t have to work for it.

            “I’m not lying. I do love you.” She reassured.

            “We don’t even know each other.” He ran a hand through his hair. “I don’t believe in love at first sight.”

            “What’s to know?” She stated. “Anything important will be learned in time.” She picked up a crisp and broke of a tiny fragment. “Here.”

            Jack took the piece the size of his hand a bit in with a loud crunch. It was good. She had dodged that question easy enough. It seemed she wouldn’t be dissuaded.

            “You get nothing out of this.” He argued. “Won’t people look down on you for marrying a “normal”?” He raised his finger in quotation.

            “You’re giving more than you think little man.” She chuckled. “Your family leads the remodeling of the entire western hemisphere, that and a few mob connections for those who can’t be persuaded with money.” She smiled a grin that carried a hint of wickedness he hadn’t seen before.

            “Is that what this is about, my family’s wealth?” Jack lowered his head in disappointment. She was just like everyone else.

 

            “Yes.” Liana replied. “That’s exactly what it’s about.” There was no point in lying. It wasn’t like he could do anything. “I’d be a fool to throw away such an opportunity when it presents itself.”

            She could see the confusion on his face. That wasn’t the answer he’d expected. It was adorable.

 

            The information was hard to take but not entirely unexpected. Still it hurt to know she only saw him as means to an end.

            “Then how can you say you love me?” he asked.

            She smiled reaching for him. He recoiled in fear at this sudden motion and the terror of her predatory gaze.

            “You don’t get it. You’re giving me more than any person on this planet ever could. How could I not love someone so generous?” She kissed him on the cheek leaving a wet mark on his entire left side. “You’re my most prized possession, the greatest treasure I could ever have.”

            “Treasure?” He managed.

            “One I plan on cherishing for the rest of my life, as long as you remain valuable.”

            “What about the other things. I won’t be able to…I mean you can’t see me as a man.”

            This earned him a blush and a laugh.  “You’ve got a pair on you to assume so much already.”

            “But I thought.” Jack tried to continue but she shushed him with a finger to his mouth.

            “I’ve shown my cards Jackie, It’s up to you to prove your man enough for me.”

            Jack didn’t know how to respond. She was clearly toying with him now. “What if I don’t love you?” he shot. Her eyes widened in amusement. “What if I think I can do better?”

 

            Jack was an absolute delight! If nothing else at least he would be good conversation.

            “You really think you can do better than a princess?” She proposed.

            “You said it yourself the Tolli’s are an influential family. Plus I consider myself fairly attractive I could have my pick.” He gave her a smug look she didn’t know he was capable of. She couldn’t disagree with the statement. He was cute.

            “You talk as if you have a choice.” Liana grinned. “You’ve already accepted my proposal now that I have you I’m not letting you go.”

            “You can’t keep me here.”

            “Of course I can.” Liana disagreed. “Or have you forgotten the obvious.” She brought her face closer to accentuate the size difference. He step back bumping into her finger. She leaned in even closer bearing her teeth. She could see the terror in his eyes, even closer. He was sweating now. She blew on him frazzling his hair and knocking him over. She couldn’t stifle her laughter.

            “That’s not fair.”

            “Not much in life is.” She informed. He rose to his feet stepping toward her face. Then she could feel the sensation of tiny lips pressing against her. He continued to surprise.

            “I-I didn’t know what else to do?” he shook.

            “It’s fine. You are my fiancé.”

            “You’re the scariest women I’ve ever met.”

            “Just wait until you really get to know me.” She flashed him another evil grin. This time he smiled right back.

            “What now?” he looked up with childlike curiosity.

            She brought him to her chest burying him inside her modest cleavage. Of course to him they must seem massive. After a few moments his head popped out and he took in an eager breath. His face was beat red.

            “How about I show you the rest of the house?”

 

            Stolen. That was the only word to describe it. Liana Bretmiss had been stolen from him. Arthur Warner seethed in anger at the invitation he held in his hand. This was the ultimate insult and invitation to watch the woman that was to be his wife, marry some “normal” trash. He hadn’t believed it when he’d seen it on T.V. It must have been a rumor he was sure. But the words embossed in gold were proof enough. He was certain she would marry him. He’d been courting her for two years. Even if she was thirty years his junior as a class 2 male he was her only real option. He’d never thought she would sink to such a low. He wouldn’t allow it.

            Arthur stared at the letter. Jackson Tolli the man who took away his prize. Her money, beauty, and youth were all snatched away by this bratty, little, spoiled shit. Arthur made a decision. He pressed the button on his intercom.

            “Ms. Daniels.”

            “Yes, sir.” Answered his secretary.

            “R.S.V.P my attendance for the wedding, tell them I’m coming early. I want to help with the preparations.”

            “Right away sir.” She answered.

            He would make sure this wedding never happened. Jackson Tolli would die.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

What will happen next? Probably not chainsaw nunchuk wielding sumo ninjas. But you never know!.... Comment if it so pleases you.