- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Okay so when I said I wouldn't update I was lying. Don't judge me! Back off!

Tales of the New World Chapter 2:  New

                “Where are you?”  Greg read on his phone. She never used to worry this much.

                “I’m on the corner of Wilkes and 42.” He responded before shoving the device back in his pocket.  Almost immediately his phone vibrated again signaling another text.

                “Are you waiting for the bus?”

                Greg grumbled. “OBVIOUSLY.” He typed in big bold letters. He pulled his jacket around tighter bracing himself against the morning air then another rumble.

                “I’ll come pick you up! J”

                He winced. He didn’t want to her to pick him up. It was too embarrassing.

                “You don’t have to” before he could finish his text a loud boom reverberated through the air above him followed by a gust of wind. Fuck. She was already there. Greg slowly turned and look up floating five feet off the ground was his long term girlfriend Ramona Sanders.

                “Hi, Red.” He mumbled his cold breath visible in the air in front of him.

                She floated down to the ground landing silently next to him. She was wearing a simple white nightie that barely passed her waist. Greg just shook his head.

                “Aren’t you cold?” he asked though he already knew the answer. Ramona had elevated and among many other things it gave her strong resilience to the elements.

                Without a word she wrapped her arms around him. They were firm and defined muscle bulged out. It was slightly unsettling considering that she had been small and slightly overweight for most of the time he knew her. Now he had to look up at her; even if it was only by a few inches. He considered himself lucky. He’d seen couples that had their partners turn into giants on the news. He didn’t need that headache. Soon he was lifted completely off the ground and cradled in a princess carry.

                “You know I’ve taken the bus before?” He grumbled at her trying his best to look annoyed.

                “It’s dangerous for a normal guy like you out here all by yourself. “ She said in a mock baby voice. “Besides why waste the three dollars sitting on a crowded bus for a half hour when I can fly you home in a minute for free. “ She gave him a pouting look.

                “Fine.” He relented. There was no point in arguing when she got like this, but they would have to talk eventually.

                With his permission Ramona slowly rose into the air before taking off toward home with an audible boom and a gust of wind.

                Greg was glad he hand worn layers. He had almost forgotten how awful the wind chill was when she flew him around. It blasted in his face and he had to close his eyes. Instantly his face was pressed into Ramona’s bosom. She must have sensed his discomfort.  He had to count his blessings Ramona’s transformation had given her some other pleasant endowments. He wouldn’t admit it but there were parts of her little rides he enjoyed.  As soon as the ride had started it stopped and Greg could see them hovering over the balcony of Ramona’s downtown apartment some thirty stories up.

                “I thought you were taking me home?” Greg remarked.

                “You are home.” She smiled letting down gently onto her patio. “I moved your stuff in.”

                “You what!?” Greg snapped rushing inside. Sure enough all over her apartment were boxes and some of his furniture scattered about. One of his ACDC posters was framed and hung on the wall, a box marked games was open in the middle of the living room. His new PS4 that he’d waited two hours to get was currently plugged into her flat screen running My Little Pony on Netflix: a guilty pleasure.  “Why would you do this?!”

                “Come on don’t be like that.” She defended. “We knew this would happen eventually. I just expedited the process. Or did you plan on living with your parents forever?”

                This was becoming a problem. Over the last six month’s he had been seeing a whole new side of Ramona. She was no longer that quiet nerdy outcast he had bonded with in middle school. She was confident now, outgoing and commanding, and incredibly domineering even if it came from a place of love. When she’d first turned he was sure they would break up. That’s what a lot of people did. More and more elevated people were instead seeking each other out; wanting to be with their “equals” yet a lot chose to stay together. His mother and father did. It seemed that so did Ramona and at first he was grateful but it seemed even that had come with its own problems.

                “You could have asked.” Greg said noticeably peeved.

                “I was bored.” She wined. “I have nothing to do anymore.”

                Greg nodded in slight agreement. Ramona logged data for and advertisement agency. With her newfound abilities what was once hours of work logging polls, sending emails, and collecting survey data had become a triviality leaving her with an increasingly free schedule for other ventures.

                “Besides your parents seemed pretty happy about it.”

                “Why wouldn’t they.” He thought to himself. His mom had been dropping hints for weeks. He knew they were trying for another child and him being around was becoming a hindrance. He was uncertain at the prospect of having an elevated younger brother or sister.

                Greg tried to get angry. He really did! But he relented. What else could he do? It was pointless to fight the changes happening in his life. He was constantly feeling less relevant, less of a man. He removed his coat and just fell backward into a wall letting the new realization sink its way in.

                “Please don’t be mad at me baby.” Ramona pouted. In an instant she was across the room toward the kitchen another instant she was in front of him naked except for a few choice applications of whipped cream. “I made dessert.” She tried with an awkward smile.

                Greg couldn’t help but laugh as his girlfriend stood arms agape in a clumsy attempt to look sexy. She had changed but in many ways was still the same awkward and unintentionally hilarious girl he knew. It was definitely going to be difficult to be a normal in this new world, but maybe with her it would at least be fun. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Will see these couples again later.