- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I've been waiting to write this chapter. 

Tales of the New World Chapter 13: A Day in the New World

 

JACK:  Life and Death

                “She killed him.” Jack mumbled to himself. “She actually killed him.” The event played back in his head over and over. The slam, the crack and the man’s last muffled scream before Liana ended everything with that last…pop. She had just murdered a man. For him, a man died so that he could live. What did this mean? Did she love him or was this just another way she could exhibit her power and control. How could she do it? Take a life, a human life so easily. What did that mean for him? The man must have been an elevated and she snuff out his life as if here were a common house spider. Jack was just a normal; he stood no chance at all. He had to leave, he didn’t know how but it had to be now.

He looked over to see the window was still open. Maybe he could crawl out and climb down somehow. It would be a long walk but he might be able to make it to another building, then he would find his mom and they would both leave this place together. He tried to run but his legs were still numb, they felt like lead and didn’t permit him movement past a slow shuffle. Still he traveled until he reached the window seal. He took his first step onto the lower molding when the window slid shut. He turned to see Liana staring down at him with a calm, almost caring expression. She extended an open palm to him, the same palm that just killed a man with such ease.

“Come here.” She ordered.

He complied not foolish enough to defy her. Her fingers wrapped around him and he flinched as he was surrounded by their almost comforting warmth.

“You’re afraid of me again.”

Jack nodded. She sighed.

“And we’d made so much progress.” She rubbed at him with a finger sending shivers down his spine. “I’d never hurt you Jack, but I’d also never let anything hurt you. You’re worth too much to me.”

“Not worth a life.” Jack managed.

Liana smiled. “There’s so much about me you don’t know Jack. Let me tell you a story.”


LIANA: A Childhood Story.

Liana inspected a shivering Jack in her hand. His was bruised and he had red marks on his neck. She was even happier she killed that would be assassin. It would send Arthur a message. Nobody damages her things. And what damage he had done. In an instant three weeks of work flew out the window with Steven Rotmer. They were back to square one. Then suddenly an idea came to mind, a  small memory of her childhood with her sister. Maybe a little clarity would help Jack understand her better and they could get things back on track.

“I have a sister. Her name’s Lilly. She’s a class 3. As you can imagine growing up as a class 2 with an older sister who’s a class 3 there were naturally many confrontations.”

Jack nodded.

“We were born close together. Only two years apart. I elevated first when I was five. She elevated three years later. I-I wasn’t a very good sister in my time before that. I teased her often and used her as one of my dolls. It was nothing too serious and I never hurt her but I did leave an impression. When she elevated all she could think about was revenge against me for what I’d done. Soon it was an all-out war in our home. I would flush her down the toilet; she would burn off all my hair. As we grew we became more devious. She would sabotage my birthday party. I would step on her car, but we never attacked each other personally. Until one day we both went too far.”

Jack could only nod his eyes locked on hers completely absorbed in the story.

“You probably won’t believe this but I wasn’t very popular as a child. As a giant most kids were afraid of me and that didn’t improve my attitude. When I matured I was beautiful, but still a wall flower. I didn’t make friends easily nor have the courage to ask out guys. One day my sister brought a boy over. I don’t remember his name but I remember how he looked. The cutest blonde hair, he was a tall class 1 foreigner. I liked him and too my surprise he liked me. I’d only later find out that he didn’t like me as a person but had some kink for big girls.” Liana giggled. “One day my sister walked in on us making out. Or about as much as you could with such a size different. We were both half naked. It didn’t look good. She lost it! She went on a rampage completely destroying my room. You’d be surprised how much damage a girl her size can do.  Now for a girl who was never really popular sometimes the things you collect become your friends. I had a stuffed rabbit mother had given me when I elevated. His name was Jasper. She ripped his head off.  Something in me snapped and I grabbed her. It was no easy task in most cases she’s much stronger than me but I had anger and adrenaline on my side. It was mad harder by her constantly assaulting me with her power. My body was becoming cold and numb and what felt like a million tiny needles were sticking my skin but I didn’t care.  I took one of her arms and snapped it in half like a toothpick. She cried for hours on my bedroom floor until our parents came home. I could only stare at her with dead eyes I didn’t know it at the time but I had been crying too. I realized that day how far I would go to keep the things I love even so much as destroying the things I loved more. I promised to myself I would never hurt the things I loved again and I would never let anyone put me in the position where I lose myself like that, because I might hurt my loved ones in the process.”

“You love me?” Jack whispered.

“Of course Jack, just like I loved Jasper.” She smiled. “I killed that man so he couldn’t do this again because if he did I don’t know what would happen. If you got in the way like you tried to earlier I might not be able to stop myself from hurting you like I did Lily.”

Jack tried to absorb what she was telling him. She said she loved him and he almost believed it. He just didn’t know if he wanted to be loved by someone so dangerous. “I guess you don’t see your sister much anymore.”

Liana laughed. “She’s my maid of honor.”


THE MAIDS: Garbage Disposal

Ferris and Fran shared a look. They stood side by side in the dark outside there mistresses room looking over the mangled corpse of Steven Rotmer.  She was hopeless sometimes. The man was naked and had nothing on him but further investigation discovered a small file just outside the window. It had a picture of the mistresses’ fiancé and a rather in depth dossier on him. Apparently master Tolli only ever had two girlfriends and has had his tonsils removed, twice.

“The mistress may be right.” Spoke Fran. “Not many people could get this kind of info on a family like the Tollis so easily.”

“Arthur Warren.” Spoke Ferris. I warned mistress not to even entertain the idea of him as a suitor. The man is a boar and entirely to self-entitled.”

                “I suppose her mother should be informed?” Fran proposed.

                “Not yet. We don’t know for sure and if Mistress Laura gets involved this could get messy before it has to.”

                “We don’t want our bride murdering someone on her wedding day.” Fran argued. “Arthur’s blood would completely ruin mistresses’ dress. Very bad if she has a daughter of her own and wants to pass it on.”

                “Trust me mistress will want proof first so she can act with impunity. If we move to early our actions might end in….punishment. “Both girls shuttered and instinctively moved their hand to cover their bottoms.

                “What about the stiff?” Fran reminded.

                “Bury him in the garden.” Ferris answered. Both women lifted up the dead body of Steven Rotmer before carrying him into the dark. Before dawn he would be six feet under a rather charming bush of red roses.


JOHNATHAN: Calling Home

                It took two weeks of hard labor but he was finally done. Jonathan wiped the sweat from his brow. The gazebo and probably one of his finest works was finished. It was an octagonal design with the alter in the middle.  A walkway circled around the edges a few feet over the maximum height of the class 2 guests that would be attending. Normally he would need someone to send him the info but he had the fortune of personally knowing the tallest guest that would be attending. It was beautiful. The wedded couple would propose in the center. The groom would stand on a single walkway that extended form the outside edge. This walkway would also be the isle the Tolli family would sit in guaranteeing them the best view. The Bretmisses would circle the bride inside the gazebo while other important class 2’s would circle the outside. The remaining smaller guests would sit in little pockets dug out the side where they would get a once in a lifetime look down on the class 2 attendees. It was perfect.

                John took out his cellphone and opened his contact list. Christine was the last person he called he pressed the call button and the phone rang. She answered after the first ring.

                “Guess what hot stuff?” he greeted. “I won’t be missing his birthday after all.” John smiled as his wife let out an eager scream. It was nice to know she missed him as much as he missed her.


TYLER: What Day is it?

                Tyler’s eyes shot open at the loud shriek that reverberated through the house. He knew instantly it was his mom. She only screamed like that when she got really good news. Tyler rubbed the sleep from his eyes and checked the clock. It was 6:30. He shrugged it was as good a time as any to get up. He had to get started on his homework anyway and he was sure Rain would be visiting soon. The girl had stopped by frequently after elevation. She was adamant he help her figure out her powers. Over the last week they’d only figure out she could fly and of course she was strong. She could even lift Sammy with considerable effort and she was only a teenager.

                Suddenly his room shook and his roof was removed rather roughly.

                “Good morning Sammy.” Tyler sighed.

                “There’s our special boy!” his sister cheered. Soon her stubby fingers were upon him and he was raised to look at her sunny expression. He would never understand where she got so much energy.

                “What are you taking about kid?” Tyler grumbled. “And why are you waking me so early, on a Saturday?”

                “Because.” She teased.

                “Because what?”

                “I can’t tell you, it’s a surprise.” She smiled. “But I can give you a hint. It happens on your birthday.”

                Tyler looked confused his birthday wasn’t for another?

                “Holy shit!” he cursed causing Sammy to gasp. “What day is it?”

                “The tenth.” Sammy smiled. Her brother’s birthday was in two days and he’d completely forgotten.


SAMMY: Boys

Sammy looked down at her brother as the realization of his upcoming birthday hit him. How could he forget his birthday? She knew hers. January 5th. Boys were weird. She remembered Ryan and how excited she was to sit next to him on their field trip. What a disappointment that had been. The entire ride he wouldn’t shut up about his toy cars that were actually real cars or how he has the biggest room in the house. He didn’t once talk about her or ask her what she liked. What was worse was when he talked about his older brother and how he could make him do whatever he wanted. Buy him toys and games, do his homework, he even bragged about how once when he brother got mad at him he took him an put him his shoe and forced him to smell his stinky feet for an hour. He was proud of it. That was the last straw for Sammy. She’d slapped him when they got to the crater and had to be sent home early. Mommy was upset at first but when they got home she wasn’t even grounded for it.

She looked down at Tyler in her hand. She could still remember when he used to give her piggyback rides. He couldn’t anymore but that didn’t stop her from wishing he could. Still at least she could carry him around now, and he couldn’t call her a shrimp anymore either.

She skipped down the hall him still in her hand. She had a new crush now. A little boy named Johnny who would spend recess drawing in chalk on the blacktop.  She’d joined him a few times and once they even drew a picture of each other. His was better and she was determined to figure out how he did it. Maybe she could bring him to Tyler’s party. It was bound to be fun and she was sure nobody would get mad. She’d just carry him in her pocket after school was over. No one would even have to know.


LAUREN: She Did Say She Knew Someone

                Lauren watched with tired eyes as her sister Sammy pranced down the hallway with a frazzled Tyler in her hands.

                “So much energy.” She mumbled before turning her head back towards her computer screen. She heard the mom’s scream too and knew what it meant but you don’t see her prancing up and down about it. She checked her latest email. It was a message from René. Apparently she needed help breaking a bank card she lifted off some schmuck. She’d known René since high school before either of them elevated and they were both social outcasts. The young freshmen kind of looked up to her and Lauren saw her as another younger sister. She knew what a troubled girl she was. She’d tried to help in the past but her friend was always pretty closed off. She was there when René elevated and hoped that with her turn she would start leading a better life. Apparently not, hopefully she’d at least stop associating with those two idiots she smoked with between classes.   Still they kept in touch and Lauren would even help her out with her “scores” once in a while if only to keep her out of jail. She replied back with a time and date. Then went about her web surfing. There was an interesting article about a girl in Wisconsin who claimed her sister turned into a fairy with antennae, wings and everything else. Apparently she could even make plants grow. Lauren clicked on the link it claimed there were pictures and even broadcast news coverage. This had to be some elaborate prank.


EMILY: Awkward

                Emily stared down at Mary who had chosen to sleep on her new bed she’d bought instead of sharing hers. Had she figured it out? Emily hadn’t exactly been hiding her feelings but at the same time she was too nervous to confess outright. For the moment she was content to tease Mary and had hoped things would stay the same between them for a little longer at least. When Mary had returned from her day off things had been, awkward. She had to know. Emily covered her face with her hands. Had she blown it before she even really tried? All she wanted was for Mary to be happy, and hopefully happy with her. She’d crushed on Mary pretty hard in high school but was never sure she was good enough. Plus Mary was so popular she had guys around her all the time. She was always so far out of reach. Things had changed since then but maybe they had changed too much. She screamed into her pillow.

                “Why are things always so complicated!?” Part of her didn’t want to give Mary a choice and just claim her as her own. What could Mary do? She was smaller than a pencil to her, but that wasn’t fair and a relationship like that wouldn’t be worth anything. All she could do was put herself out there and hope it didn’t hurt too much when she got rejected.


MARY: Memories and Feelings

                Mary knew Emily was watching her sleep. As quiet as the giantess tried to be at her scale it was impossible to hide the tremor of her footsteps or the sound of her breath. She knew she would have to do something soon but it was fun watching Emily quake or hear her scream into her pillow. It felt like they were back in high school. Now that Ramona had pointed it out it her memories of back then seemed so different. They were the ones she’d always had but with new information they were seen in a completely different context. Suddenly bathing together after swim class seemed weirder. Suddenly those sleepovers had s new meaning especially when Emily used to cuddle next to her. She was now aware of the giantess’ eyes as they strayed from her eyes to her chest and hips when they talked. She thought she would be revolted but to her surprise she wasn’t. She could swear sometimes she almost enjoyed it, and her memories didn’t seem tainted but enhanced.

Still this was all too new to her. Her life had been a mess before this job and she didn’t know if she was emotionally ready for a relationship of any kind. Man or women. Even so she knew it wasn’t fair to string Emily along. She removed her covers and rose from her bed surprising the giant celebrity.

“Emily I think we need to talk.”


CHRISTINE: Breakfast

                Christine glided around her kitchen with an extra pep in her step. She hadn’t felt this excited in months. She decided today she would prepare another big breakfast. She might even make this a habit on the weekends. Two of her children were already downstairs so she decided they would help her with breakfast. Sammy would set the table while Tyler would be her special little helper. Even now he was pushing a shaker of cinnamon to her for the French toast. Not an easy task but she knew he would get it to her in time and that let her concentrate on cutting the fruit for the stuffing. Of course every one of her children would want a different one, even Megan who had gone for her run early this morning, even Rain might be stopping by.

                “Are you excited for your big day?” She asked Tyler. The boy jumped at the sudden question.

                “I guess.” He replied. “It’s not like It’s a big deal I’m only turning seventeen.”

                “I think you’ll enjoy it more than you realize.” She smiled. 

                Suddenly she heard a loud knock at the door.


RAIN: At Her Fingertips

                Rain floated in the air outside Tyler’s front door using the power she had been gifted with but still couldn’t fully understand. She was excited to reveal what she had discovered last night. She extended a finger and a spark of wild energy formed a bubble at its point. She fired it at the door and it collided resulting in a loud knocking sound. Suddenly the door flew open and she was greeted by the massive face of Tyler’s mom.

                “Good morning Rain.” She beamed. A large smile was plastered along her giant canvas of a face.

                “Good morning Ms. Walters.” She bowed in the air. “Is Tyler awake?”

                “He’s helping me with breakfast right now!” she beamed. Both women went toward the kitchen to finish breakfast.


MEGAN: Absent

                Megan continued her jog along the edge of the city getting ever closer toward the docks. She had left a little early just for a chance to catch him and was slightly excited to see her little stalker once more. She didn’t talk to normal men much besides Tyler and that man seemed so…independent. If he was like that then maybe there was hope for Tyler after all. She wasn’t sure how but some way she would get those two to meet. She just had to build a relationship, become “friends” with him. He said he was taken and she worried about his girlfriend. Hopefully she was the understanding sort. It’s not like she wanted to get with him. The guy was cute but she didn’t dig normals. To afraid she might break them plus he was like five years older than her, even if that sounded like a rather weak justification that was really all she had. She wasn’t sure this would even work.  

                She was soon at the docks and she paused to sit on the field where they had met the previous day. He wasn’t there. She did leave early maybe he hadn’t shown up yet. She decided to wait for a moment and see. After about twenty minutes the sun had risen and he still hadn’t shown up. She knew this was a longshot to begin with. What would she even say to him?

                “Hey I know you were staring at me but want to meet my little brother?” She groaned at her stupidity. She hadn’t thought this through. She was secretly glad he didn’t show up. It was Saturday maybe he didn’t work the weekends. She’d try again Monday. She went to continue her jog secretly grateful he wasn’t there. She needed time to prepare a proper line.


GREG: Aftermath

                Greg sat anxiously in his hospital bed. The doctor was overreacting. All he had been a few bruises, and some cracked ribs, and a concussion. Okay maybe he wasn’t overreacting but none of that hurt as much as knowing that he’d been such a weak failure. His money was gone. His card was gone. His cellphone had been in his jacket with everything else so he couldn’t even call and cancel his card. Yet even that was nothing to how he knew he would feel when Ramona stopped by. He managed to crawl his way out of the alley to collapse on the street a woman had found him and called the cops. Moments later he was in the back of an ambulance being rushed to county. Apparently he could have died. Ramona was his emergency contact so it was only a matter of time. He’d talked to her briefly the night before but he was to out of it to remember the conversation. All he could remember was the sound of angry yelling mixed with tears. She would probably be there with him if the hospital’s visiting hours weren’t already over but he was sure it was only a matter of time.

                The door burst open and Ramona flew into the room. Before he could react her arms were around him and he was assaulted with a shower of kisses.

                “Greg what happened to you?!” She cried.

                “I-I was mugged.” He admitted.

                “Mugged?” She stepped back surprised. “Why?”

                Greg paused. He wasn’t sure what to tell her. Should he reveal what he was trying to do what he wanted? NO. He couldn’t. It would only make him feel like more of a failure and less of a man. It was worth starting over as long as he didn’t fall any lower in her eyes.

                “They were having this sale on T.V.’s and I thought we could use one. I went to the back to check my balance and see if I had enough. They must have seen me make a withdrawal. Slowly Ramona’s face turned from worry to anger. Greg could see a fire building in her eyes. He’d seen this anger before. He briefly flashed back to that day. The argument they had about her elevation. That led to their “break” and probably one of the worst years in Greg’s life. He suddenly became really scared not for himself but the assailants.

                “Who were they?” She growled. “What did they look like?”

                “I already told the cops I don’t remember much, except one guy was really big. I think one called him Brock. They’re going to run the name through the system and bring me back some mug shots of possible suspects. That’s really all I know.”

                Ramona’s body tensed as she rewrapped her arms around Greg.

                “I’m sorry…I’m sorry I wasn’t there to protect you.”

                “It’s not your fault.” Greg consoled. “You can’t be around me all the time. I shouldn’t have made myself such an obvious target.”

                “Never again.” Ramona stated. “This will never happen to you again. I’ll make sure of it.”

                “Don’t do anything foolish, Red. I still need you around.”

                Ramona giggled slightly. “I can’t promise you anything, but right now I’m just glad you’re okay.”

                “It’ll take more than a few elevated chumps to hurt me.” Greg boasted.


RAMONA: Anger and Regret

                Ramona had never felt so angry in her entire life. She knew she would make them pay for hurting Greg for making him feel so weak. She knew how important his confidence was to him. He was constantly trying to prove himself to her. It was her fault. She knew it because of what she’d said to him what she’d done. It was a day neither of them acknowledged, and actively tried to forget.  She’d regretted it as soon as she it happened and it would shame her for the rest of her life.  She would make them all pay. She just needed to know where to start. Hopefully Greg would be able to remember the face of one of them. She would make him pay first.


DAVE: Parting is Sorrow

                Dave helped pack up Amanda things as well as he could. It was hard to fold her clothes with one arm but he had over three years to learn to cope. It was slower than it normally took but he was making progress. He knew she didn’t really need the help but it was a convenient excuse to be close to her. His arm started to shake and he had to fight back the tears. The day he’d feared had finally come to pass. He’d known for a long time the only thing keeping Barbara at bay was the fact that Amy hadn’t elevated. He hated to admit it but Barbara was right. When it came to elevation he didn’t know a damn thing.  She loved her daughter almost as much as he did and when the news of Amy’s elevation broke it became obvious their days together were numbered. She could help relate to Amanda more than he ever could.

                He heard her steps as she walked down the hall. Soon she was standing bent down in the doorframe. Even their home was too small for her. She wore a solemn expression as she stared down at him.

                “The car’s here Daddy.” She half spoke.

                Dave sighed and handed her the suitcase he’d packed. She took it and him in her arms for one last hug.

                “I’m gonna miss you.” She cried.

                “Cheer up.” Dave comforted. “You’ll get a nice big room with a big T.V. and hallways you don’t have to crouch to walk down in.”

                “I don’t need those things daddy.” She let go of the hug.

                “I’ll visit you this weekend, help you  get settled in.”

                A horn honked from outside. Barbara must’ve been getting impatient.

                “You’d better go.” Dave nudged his daughter with his one arm. “You don’t want you r mother upset with you.”

                “Goodbye daddy.” She waved to him before heading out the door leaving Dave alone. He took a seat in an easy chair looking at his apartment. It seemed so empty now.


AMANDA: Silence

                Amanda sat quietly as her mother drove down the south highway to her house. She was thinking of the right words to say, the right sentence to signify how she felt. Then it hit her.

                “You can’t keep me forever.” She uttered.

                “I don’t need forever.” Barbara responded. “Only two years.”  

                They continued the drive in silence.


BARBARA: Superiority

                Barbara finally reached her home in Richford Heights. It was a stately 2 story built far larger than it had to be considering no class 2’s lived there. Still she was quite proud of it. It took her almost a year to find a decent neighborhood surrounded with people of her caliber. She knew for a fact that a celebrity lived in one her houses with the rest of her family. All class 2 women if you could imagine. She hoped Amanda would make friends with them soon. It was important she learn to interact with other elevated instead of slumming with the normal like her father. She turned to glance at her daughter. She was still sulking.

                “Cheer up it’s not going to be that bad. Trust me.”

                “I had friends were I lived mom. What about them?”

                “You’re still in the same district. You can see your friends as school, besides you’ll make new friends like that girl who was with you when you visited your father. She seemed nice and she was a class 3. You can’t find girls like that in your father’s neighborhood.”

                “That was Rain mom. I’ve known her for years. She only just elevated Monday. Her family lives right down the street from dad.”

                “And I’m sure they’d live here if they could. Just look around you. You can’t argue that this is better.”

                “I don’t care if its better it’s not what I want.”

                “Give it a chance Amy.” Barbara defended. She walked around her large S.U.V. and opened the door for her daughter. “Walk around, meet new people. You may discover you have a lot in common.”

                “What about dad huh?” Amanda protested. “What’s he supposed to do by himself?”

                “Your father’s and adult, Amy.” She continued. “He’s more than capable of taking care of himself.

                “Not after that jackass you slept with ripped of his arm his isn’t!” she shot.

                Barbara went silent. She had no defense for that. Walter had been a major mistake made in a confusing time in her life. She just wanted to be with someone she considered equal and he was fun. She didn’t expect things to get out of hand so quickly. She didn’t expect Dave to lose it like he had. They been separated emotionally for so long she’d forgotten the kind of man he was… at least used to be until that night. That was why it was more important than ever that Amy find a partner that could be her equal. So she would never have to go through the pain of losing someone you love like that. Of looking in their eyes and seeing them become so weak and inferior.

                “Go out and meet people.” Barbara ordered.

                “But.”

                “That wasn’t a request.” Barbara warned. “I’ll move your things to your room.”


SHEILA: Invitation

                Sheila walked out to her mailbox. She looked across the street towards the Walter’s household. If she focused she could see a young girl run up the back entrance. She knew it was Megan. They were probably about to sit down to morning breakfast. Her family never did that. It must have been nice. She reached into the box to check the mail. It was mostly bills except for a magazine to Soap Digest and a light blue letter addressed to her with no stamp or return address. It said you’re invited on it and she immediately knew what it was. Her guess was Sammy just walked up and placed it in her mailbox. She didn’t think she’d get one after Monday’s debacle but she guessed her relationship with the other members of Tyler’s family warranted an invite. It made sense, her and her mother were one of maybe three other class 2 families on the block and they did live right across the street.

                She smiled and jumped up and down in excitement.

                “Good news?” she heard from below. She looked down to see a girl with four powerful looking arms staring up at her form just below her waist.

                “Um, yeah.” She answered. “Do I know you?”

                “I’m Amanda.” The girl replied. “I’ve seen you around school a few times.”

                “You live around here?” Sheila asked. She thought she knew about all the elevated in her neighborhood.

                “I just moved here.” Amanda responded.  “I’m trying to meet new people.” She raised all four of her arms in air quotes.

                “Well I guess you met me. I’m Sheila.” She shook Amanda’s hand and was surprised by the strength of her grip. “You want to hang out?”


RENE: Moving On

                René stared at the ID in the wallet she lifted. Gregory Markus Danielson it read. He was 24 years old and was 6’1 and 200 pounds. He was also an organ donor by the looks of it. She sat at the bar twirling the bank card in her hands. She was already at the spot she agreed to meet Lauren. A cyber bar downtown that accommodated everyone. She’d been waiting for a few hours and was starting to get a little edgy. Then a shadow cast over her and she turned to see Lauren staring down at her. She was dressed in shambles as usual with messy hair and a winkled tank top.

                “You have the card?” she asked in her classic disinterest.

                René produced the bank card which Lauren grabbed and inspected.

                “You know you really have to stop doing this.” She lectured.

                “This was my last time.” René promised. “I didn’t even really want to.”

                Lauren picked her up and walked over to an empty computer. After about fifteen minutes of typing the password was cracked and all Gregory Markus Danielson’s account information was presented on the screen. They even had his address.

                “You lucked out on this one.” Lauren stated. “There’s over eighteen grand on this thing.” She tossed the tiny card to her friend. “Passcodes 1214.”

                René smiled. She really owed Gregory Markus Danielson. He just gave her a chance at a better life.


WALTER: Mystery

                Walter sat at the bar nursing his third vodka. It took almost twice as much booze to even simulate a decent buss. He didn’t know why his parole officer chose such a nerdy place for a meeting but at least the drinks were good.

                “How’s it going Walter.” He heard in a hard voice like stone.

                “Same to you.” He replied to his parole officer. One Jacob Lawrence a hard built class one cop even Walter wasn’t stupid enough to mess with. “You been behaving.”

                “Of course I have.” He insisted. “I even got my own place and everything.”

                “Good.” Jacob nodded he signaled the bartender to pour him a drink. “I trust you remember your old cellmate. One Steven Rotmer”

                “Shifty. What about him?”

                “He’s gone missing and you’re one of his known associates.”

                “Hey, I have nothing to do with that idiot. I’ve been keeping my nose clean.”

                “That’s not why I’m asking. We have reason to believe he was approached by someone and want to know if you’ve been approached the same way.”

                “No one’s come looking for me yet. Not even my folks.”

                “And I trust if someone does you’ll do your civic duty and report it to the proper authorities. “ Jacob raised an eyebrow.

                “Scout’s honor.” Walter swore with a crooked smile.


ARTHUR: Arrival.

                Arthur stepped of the plane and onto the tarmac. He was tired and frustrated after his thirteen hour flight. The plane was cramped it was hard to afford luxury for class 2 air travel and he regretted not taking a barge. It was slower but at least he’d be able to stretch his legs. In the end it was worth it for he had reached Japan. The wedding was only a few days away and he was finally there to stop it himself. He was livid when he’d heard of his assassin’s failure. He shouldn’t have relied on an amateur. No he would handle things himself this time. He would end this wedding by any means necessary and make Liana his.         

Chapter End Notes:

So yeah everyone got checked up on..I think. At least everyone who mattered. If I forgot anyone well they were probably a chump anyway. I was trying to make it a surprise but I'm sure some of you figured it out anyway...(cough ACKBAR cough cough.)...anyway I can only hope I didn't botch this too bad and that you readers enjoyed it.

I've been updating this story too frequently I think it's time to take a break and fade back into obscurity for a few weeks. Besides according to certain "trends" I've met my quota soooo. BYE!...The balls in your court other authors.