- Text Size +

“I’m heart broken, Bradley…” Arell said, smiling. “I’m gone for only three years and you get yourself involved with another giant woman? It’s because she was so much taller than me, wasn’t it?”

 

            Ha, ha, ha, Bradley thought.

 

            “You!” Stark hissed vehemently. “I knew it! You’re the one responsible for all of this! You’re trying to destroy our planet again, aren’t you? Aren’t you, you overgrown…”

 

            “Stark!” Todd whispered fiercely. “Don’t piss her off…”

 

            “”Arell…” Bradley started. He had hoped, for awhile, that he wouldn’t ever have to speak to this woman again, and, now that he was, he had no idea was he was going to say.  “You’re back…”

 

            “In the flesh,” Arell agreed, nodding. “Sorry to pop in unannounced, but…well, things looked sort of bad from where I was sitting.”

 

            “Then you know what’s been going on,” Peterson said. He didn’t know what Arell was doing back here. Stark had a point. For all they knew, she was the one behind Dr. Whatever-Her-Name-Was’s growth. At the same time, however, she didn’t need GeekZilla to destroy Earth. She had made that much clear in her last visit. He suddenly realized that he was more scared of Arell than he ever would be of GeekZilla.

 

            “Of course she does!” Stark spoke up again. “She caused it! I’m sure she did! She’s out to finish what she started!”

 

            “Oh please,” Arell rolled her eyes. “If I had any intention of ‘finishing what I started’, I would have just blown up the planet and been done with it. I don’t need some third party to ensure the destruction of Earth, believe me.”

 

            She’s a damn mind reader, I know it, Bradley thought. 

 

            “You expect me to believe that?” Stark rebutted. “After everything you put this planet through, you expect us to buy that you just happen to be watching while a giant woman is stomping around on the U.S. and you have nothing to do with it! I may be old, but I know when someone’s taking me for a fool!”

 

            “You ‘are’ a fool,” The Avakonian replied simply. “Because only a fool would act this way to the person who just saved all of your lives…”

 

            “What?” Bradley and Stark said in unison.

 

            Arell touched the surface of the interface that they were standing on (good memories here, Bradley thought) and pressed a button. A holograph image appeared in front of her and she expanded it with a swift move of her hand and then turned it to them. It looked like some sort of security footage of a room. Arell’s bedroom, Bradley realized, recognizing the bed from his previous capture. Something was in the bed…

 

            “Hey, it’s GeekZilla!” Kevin pointed. Peterson looked closely and saw that Ward was absolutely right. Lying, unconscious, in Arell’s bed, was none other than the once towering GeekZilla.

 

            “She fits in your bed…” Bradley noticed, looking towards their giant hostess.

 

            Arell nodded. “She’s as big as I am now, which is still much smaller than what she was. Most likely, she’ll remain a giant to you Earthies for the rest of her life. Her atomic structure was severely affected by the rapid re-organization. I reduced her size as much as possible, but any more would have…well, let’s just say very negative consequences.”

 

            Peterson was a bit stunned. Arell had taken down GeekZilla. He didn’t know that the Avakonians even had the tech to reduce one’s atomic structure or whatever she had said. It seemed every time he met up with Arell, he people had some new remarkable thing that the people of Earth couldn’t even dream of yet.

 

            “I’ll admit, I was a surprised to see an Earthy of such a size,” Arell said. “I thought, for a moment, that one of my own people had come here. You’re lucky that I still have your cell phone in my tracking system. If I hadn’t, and was forced to look for you…I would not have beamed you all up in time to avoid being crushed by that town she was carrying.”

 

            “Um…Bradley?” Sarah whispered. “Uh…can you ask her about the townspeople and all that?”

 

            Ask her youself, woman, Bradley thought, have some spine!

 

            “The townspeople are fine…most of them anyway,” Arell replied. Sarah whimpered and hid behind Todd some more. “I can’t save everyone at once. I did the best that I could.” She smiled. “My hearing is better than you may think, even at my size. Don’t be afraid. I’m not going to hurt any of you.”

 

            “I don’t believe that!” Stark growled.

 

            “Well, that’s your problem,” Arell said, simply.

 

            “Oh, don’t go there,” The Colonel spat. “You killed hundreds of our people in cold blood. You expect me to think that you’ve had some epiphany in the time you’ve been gone! Ha! I think I know a little more than you, young lady.”

 

            “Young lady?” Arell asked, raising an eye brow. “I was alive when….actually, forget it. You believe what you want. I have no intention of harming planet Earth or its Earthies.”

 

            “I don’t believe you,” Stark repeated. “There’s only one reason that a monster like you would come back to this planet. To finish what you started and take revenge on those that fought to stop you!”

 

            “I’m beginning to wish I hadn’t rescued you…” Arell sighed, annoyed.

 

            “Arell…” Bradley spoke up, wanting to interrupt. “I guess I’ll go ahead and be the one to ask...why are you back? When we last spoke, you said that you were afraid to return to your home planet because of…well…”

 

            Arell’s expression suddenly turned very somber, and she was quiet for a moment. Bradley remembered their conversation before she had left the planet.

 

            I’m scared…she had said…that they won’t take me back…

 

            Had she endured this ultimate penalty? Had she been banished from her own home planet by her own people? If she had, why was she back here on Earth? Revenge? Because she had nowhere else to go? But surely the other Avakonians would eventually come here to make contact if they felt any remorse for what Arell had done to them. And surely, if that happened, Arell wouldn’t want to be any where near the planet when they came. The mere fact that these sorts of things could happen without anyone on Earth knowing it was a terrible thought. It had been something Bradley had thought of ever since Arell had disappeared from the planet. And now…she was back.

 

            The ultimate question was: Why?

 

            “Things…” Arell finally began. “Went poorly when I arrived back to Avakon. When I went back…I…I told them everything. I told them what I had done and what I had been doing. I…I…I…I apologized so many times. I wept my eyes out and begged for forgiveness. But…they would have none of it.” Stark guffawed and Peterson glanced towards him. The Colonel had a grin on his face. “I wasn’t banished…though there were times during it that I wished I had been…despite the fact that it wouldn’t have really made a difference.’

 

            ‘My people were furious with me. They wouldn’t listen to anything I said. Within an hour of me returning home, my title as a Researcher was quickly taken away, I had been forced to publicly walk in front of my own, with my head down, not a stitch of clothing on me, and was brought in front of the Avothian, who slapped me right across the face before announcing my punishment to the entire planet.”

 

            Stark cackled softly. Todd hastily tried to shut him up, but Arell either didn’t hear or didn’t care.

 

            “Within two hours of my return,” Arell continued. Her voice began to waver. “I…was sentenced to what you Earthies would understand as solitary confinement. Locked in a small, dark, cold room…for the rest of my long life. Only two meals a day…and you can’t leave for any reason. Even if you get sick.”

 

            “Sounds like you got what was coming to you,” Stark said, happily. “Serves you right for……..”

 

            He suddenly stopped in mid-sentence and thought for a moment. Arell looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

 

            “Wait…” He said slowly. “Then…why the fuck are you HERE…and not….why the fuck are you back here!?”

 

            “You escaped…” Bradley said. “You got out. That’s it, isn’t it?”

 

            “Me escape?” Arell asked. “Not even remotely possible.”

 

            “Then…why…?”

 

            “When I was locked away,” Arell explained. “My findings and observations of your planet were naturally confiscated. And reviewed…extensively. It took them most of the three years to fully analysis it as much as could satisfy them. And when they it was done, it was released to the entire planet of Avakon, where all of my people could see. And that’s where the real story begins…”

 

            “What?” Bradley asked.

 

            “As I explained when I was last here,” Arell sighed. “My people…have very strong views of altruistic relations with each other. Acts of violence towards one another is severely looked down upon and is unheard of on Avakon. When…when my people saw my observations…my research…they saw you Earthies as I saw you three years ago. And there was a large outcry. For the first time in centuries, there was almost a riot on my own home planet. A fight or two actually broke out before they were calmed, and it was all over how to react to this discovery of you Earthies. And when all the aggressors were finally calmed, there was bitterness and anger…towards you all and the planet of Earth.”

 

            Bradley suddenly felt sick.

 

            “Soon after all the chaos…” Arell went on. “The Avothian herself visited me in my cell. She…”

 

            “The who?” Stark asked.

 

            “The Avothian…” The Avakonian replied. “You would understand her role as a sort of Head of State. One who overlooks all proceedings of law and order. Anyway, she visited me and for hours we spoke. I explained everything as well as I could. Why I had behaved so poorly, why I had done the things I had, and then swore on my life that I was full of remorse for my actions.”

 

            “Pfft,” The Colonel huffed.

 

            “And then…” Arell continued. “After three long years of solitary confinement…the longest years of my life…as quickly as I was hated…I was forgiven.”

 

            Stark’s expression suggested that, had he been drinking anything, a comical spit-take would have occurred.

 

            “I was reinstated as a researcher,” Arell said, her voice lighter now. “And though I wasn’t publicly forgiven, the next several days, many of my fellow Avakonians approached me to express their condolences.”

 

            “WHAT IS THIS HORSESHIT!?” Stark roared. “Justice was served and then…then…they suddenly turned around and let you go!? WHAT!?”

 

            “They sympathized with me…” Arell said. “After realizing the violence they almost enacted on themselves in reaction to watching your own deeds…they realized that me…watching them as they occurred all along on my ship all those years…they understood why I had…sort of lost my head.”

 

            Stark looked like he wanted to say more, but he was too angry to form a coherent sentence.

 

            “So…what are they going to do?” Bradley asked, his own voice shaking. Knowing that a planet of high tech giants were angry with you was not, at all, a comforting thought.

 

            “That’s…where I come in,” Arell explained. “There’s a large schism amongst the Avakonians. Some are reacting to all of this as negatively as I eventually did. They want the planet Earth destroyed, viewing you Earthies as too far gone to ever reteach you the meaning of altruism amongst yourselves. Others, are more hopefully, and want to intercept you and try to help. Some want to just imprison you the lot of you. No one knows what to do.’

 

            ‘But, then, I convinced everyone that to act without at least speaking to you Earthies was not the right course of action. I suggested that I bring some Earthies to Avakon to speak to our planet and be a part of the whole ordeal…”

 

            “And you picked us!?” Todd cried.

 

            “Well…no…” Arell shook her head. “I picked Bradley Peterson…”

 

            “Me?” The man in question went pale.

 

            “I knew you wouldn’t do it without your friends,” Arell explained. “So, I knew to make sure that I brought them along. I thought it would make you feel more comfortable to have that kind of support…even if one of them I could have done without.” Stark huffed.

 

“Right now, I have to ask you…will  you come to Avakon, Bradley Peterson of Earth?”

 

“I…I…” Peterson stammered. “You’re asking an awful lot of me! Why not choose someone more qualified! Like the President or something!?”

 

“I don’t think a politician, ironic as it may seem, would suffice here,” Arell said. “No, it has to be you. I remember how passionate you were when you spoke to me. How you words reached my very heart and made me realize the error of my ways. I was set on conquering your planet, Bradley, and nothing was going to stop me. But you did. And, I believe, that only you can stop the Avakonians from making the same mistake. I need you. The Planet Earth needs you. I know it’s a lot to ask, but it’s the truth.”

 

Peterson was silent. Suddenly, the responsibility of the future of Earth had been dumped into his lap. How had this happened? Not more than two hours ago, he had been atop a town being held by a giant nerd lady who had grown to unholy size by some means that Bradley wasn’t sure that he would ever begin to understand. And now, he was faced with his once nemesis, who had tormented and imprisoned him, who was now asking him to protect his own planet from her own people!

 

Why did shit like this keep happening on his birthday?

 

“Arell…” Bradley said, slowly. “I…I don’t know if I can…”

 

“You can!” Arell said. “I know you can. I believe it with all of my heart. I just need you to. If you don’t at least try, then there’s nothing I can do to promise you the safety of the planet.”

 

“How about your people just fuck right off!” Stark cried. “And mind their own goddamn business!”

 

“It’s not that simple!” Arell said. “Remember, the Avakonians and the Earthies are the same race! We are one, even though we have very different appearances and behaviors. We cannot just ignore a chapter of humans. We just can’t!”

 

            “But why would they even listen to me?” Bradley asked. “They have no reason to…”

 

            “They’ve agreed to,” Arell said. “You don’t have to worry about that. They’ll hear you, and they’ll listen. I just need you to speak.”

 

            I just need to speak…Bradley thought. About what? What do they expect me to talk about? What do they expect to hear from me? What do they expect at all? How is one man supposed to change the minds of a whole planet of other people? He had done so for Arell maybe, but could he do it again? He had spent more time running for his life in fear of Arell than he had confronting her, and even now he still harbored feelings of intimidation from her, even though this entire conversation he’d had with her was a peaceful one, nowhere near the hostility that she’d displayed to him previously.

 

            “Bradley…” Sarah said. “If you go…we’ll go with you. We can all go together. We’ll be right behind you, no matter what.”

 

            Bradley looked at her. Then at the others. Randy, Todd, Kevin, Fred, and Colonel Stark. His friends from the time Arell had invaded. They had faced her together then, but could they go against an entire planet of Arells? He didn’t know. But, in the end, what choice did he have? This was not something that could be ignored. If he said no, he would spend the next few days sitting in terror, wondering what sort of hell was going to come down from the heavens onto his head. Not to mention, GeekZilla had put an end to his home…as well as his entire town. So, he was now essentially homeless. At least here, Arell would be able to give him shelter…as he faced the biggest race of people in the universe.

 

            He turned back to Arell and took a deep breath.

 

            “Alright…” He said, feeling what a man who just signed his soul to the devil must feel. “I guess I don’t have much of a choice…I’ll go with you to Avakon, Arell…god help me…”

 

            Arell smiled. And for a brief moment, Bradley was put at ease. There had been a time that he would immediately get nervous whenever she did that. It had once meant that a mischievous plan of sorts was forming in her head and he was in for a bad time. But now…she looked like a normal human woman. Her smile was resplendent and calming and he felt relieved by the sight of it. It made him feel like she was on his side…and few things were as relieving, and even empowering, as knowing that you had a five hundred some feet tall woman from beyond the stars who had access to incredible technology on your side.

 

            “That’s good to know…” She said, honestly sounding relieved. “We’ll leave tomorrow then. I’ll keep you all here for the night, as I’m sure things are a bit…chaotic down on Earth and every one will be wanting to talk to you. Best to keep you away from all that for now.”

 

            She raised a hand, and Bradley felt the levitational powers of her suit take him. Sarah and the others gasped as it touched them for the first time. Arell gently raised them off the table and proceeded to carry them towards her room. As they went, Bradley looked around, remembering the time he had spent her previously. Then, Arell had been the enemy, and the place had seemed to be a big prison. Now that Arell was a friendly, the place seemed brighter, more friendly, less hostile and scary.

 

            Bradley Peterson took a deep breath.

 

            Seriously…why did shit like this have to happen on his Birthday.

 

TO BE CONTINUED

 

EPILOUGE

 

            A woman climbed an immense tree of red, surrounded by a forest of unreal size, consisting of more pillars of red. The forest seemed to stretch for miles.

 

            “Hello!” The woman screamed. “HELLO! Is there anyone out there!? Where am I!? HELP!”

 

            Nobody answered her.