- Text Size +

Sam started to breathe heavily in panic as her world shifted around and the giantess giggled like a little girl who just found her lost toy.  Those eyes glittered with joy as she carried both Sam and Nick into the kitchen.  Sam put herself in between the giantess and Nick in order to protect his injured body (even though she wouldn’t be able to do anything).  As they were carried away Sam thought about jumping with Nick out of the hand but… one look down quickly quenched that idea.  The giantess didn’t say anything but Sam swore that her smile grew wider ever time see took a quick look down into her hand.  Final after what felt like forever Sam and Nick were gently placed down on top of a counter top in the kitchen next to a pot of boiling water.  Sam gulped as she looked to her right and saw the heated steam rolling out of the pot.  She was going to be cooked alive!  The giantess opened her mouth to say something when there was a noise in a room down a hallway. 

“I’ll be right back; don’t move,” she said to them as she quickly raced away toward the noise.

“Yeah right,” Sam muttered.  “Come on Nick you got to stand up,” Sam begged Nick to get up.  Nick struggled to stand but collapsed. 

“I just need a moment,” Nick painfully told her.

“Nick she’s going to boil us alive!  We need to get out of here NOW,” Sam said in a panicked voice.  Nick didn’t say anything but nodded his head in agreement.  Nick grunted as he pushed himself up and groaned in pain.  This time Nick didn’t fall down.  Sam helped Nick move around as they tried to spot a way out of here.  The counter top wrapped around the room and on the opposite side of the room was a phone with a phone line traveling down to a jack near the floor.  “You think we can make it?”  Sam asked Nick.

“Let’s go,” Nick said as they headed toward it.  First they would need to pass the stove with the boiling water.  The pot was on the front burner so Nick and Sam stayed near the back burner.  Even from that distance both their skin started to turn red from the heat.  There was a noise again in a room and the giantess letting out a tired sigh.  “We need to hurry,” Nick told Sam.  Sam didn’t need to be told twice as she quickly helped Nick along.  Next was the sink which was loaded with dirty dishes.  There were bowls, plates, cups and other dishes stacked high in the sink.  Either the giantess ate a lot or she doesn’t do dishes at all.  Sam and Nick went in front of the sink between the a small pathway where if they fell either direction they would fall to their deaths or into a sink full of dirty used dishes where they wouldn’t be able to get out.  Luckily Sam and Nick were just the right size and didn’t have much of a problem crossing.  “We’re almost there,” Sam told Nick as all they passed all the hazards and were half way to the phone. 

“Really,” The giantess asked someone but there was no reply and they could hear the giantess let out another tired sigh.

In no time Sam and Nick made it to the phone. “You first,” Sam told Nick who quickly told her to go.  “Nick,” Sam hissed at him, “This is no time for chivalry.  GO!”  Nick rolled his eyes as he went to take the line when all of a sudden the front door opened causing both Nick and Sam to freeze in their tracks and look upon the new comers.

There was a young lady around her 20’s who opened the door and let a small 10 year old boy in.  They both had the same features making them related possible younger brother and older sister.  The boy was in mid-sentence explaining something to the girl as she seemed to be tuning him out, in fact in one of her ears she had an ear bud in.  Both giants stopped what they were doing and eyed Sam and Nick with looks of shock on their faces. 

“Oh crap.” Nick said.

The girl closed the door without taking her eyes off of them.  The moment the door clicked shut they both rushed toward the counter.  “Oh, cool!  Mom got buggies!  I call dibs on the girl,” The boy shouted as he rushed toward the counter.

“No way squirt,” The girl said as she got there first and snatched up Sam who let out a cry. 

“HEY!” The boy shouted trying to get the buggy out of the sister’s hands.

“I got her first so tough luck.  Besides there’s another one for you anyway,” She told him as she eyed Sam up and down with a wicked look in her eyes.  The boy had a frown on his face.

“But I called the girl buggy!”

Nick watched in horror as the two giants fought one another.  The girl kept swing Sam around to keep the boy out of reach of her.  Sam looked petrified and also looked to about throw up from the rough movement she was being put through.  Nick was about to say something when the boy said, “Fine.”  He roughly snatched Nick up from the counter and looked down at his prey.  The frown quickly vanished and was replaced by an ecstatic look when he realized that he was holding a buggy in his hands.  Nick was unable to do anything as he was jerked around as the kid let out a gleeful laugh swing him around in the air.  When the world stopped spinning Nick saw the giant face of the excited kid look at him with an intent look of wonder.  Nick was still speechless from the lack of oxygen from the squeezing grip, the intense whirl, and just the fact that he couldn’t keep track of what was happening.  The kid gave Nick no reprieve as he grabbed Nick’s body with his other hand and squeezed tighter as if afraid that Nick might escape.  The look on the boy’s face was full of joy but it slowly started to fade until he seemed upset.  “I think mine’s broken.  It’s not saying anything.” 

Nick followed the boy’s line of sight as he looked to the giantess who seemed to eyeing Sam with the same jubilant look the boy had when he picked up Nick.  She didn’t even look at him and said, “I’m not trading with you.”

The boy had a pout on his face and was about to say something when there was a loud sound from the hallway.  “Danny what are you doing?!”  Frightened both kids jumped, but only Danny was more afraid and accidently opened his hands dropping Nick.  Everything slowed down as Nick went tumbling through the air.  He was able to see Sam cry out for him and everyone’s eyes on Nick as he fell further and faster.  Unable to control his descent Nick went head over heels as he flipped and watched as the room spun upside-down.  He saw the nurse’s look of shock and panic, then the boy’s face which still looked frightened from being yelled at.  Then he saw the giantess face of surprise, then he saw Sam reaching out for him, and then the floor coming up to him.  He was almost there when he started to do another flip, he started to see the nurse again who was already stepping forward in a desperate attempt to reach him.

Nick closed his eyes at the last moment and hit the ground hard…

 

Sam looked in horror as Nick fell through the air.  The room was still as Nick started to flip through the air.  It wasn’t until Nick was about to hit the ground when something caught her attention.  On the other side of the room was the nurse giantess who had a frightened look on her face.  She was dashing forward to try and save Nick but would never make it.  Sam felt tears flowing down her face as she couldn’t look away from the horror show playing out in front of her.  Soon Nick would hit the ground at a dangerous speed and be nothing more but a stain on the floor. 

The nurse dove forward with her hands cupped outward trying to catch Nick.  She hit the ground but came right beneath Nick and caught him in her hands.  The sound of Nick colliding with the giantess hand filled the air as no one moved.  Nick bounced twice in the hand and didn’t move an inch as he laid there in her palm. 

Quickly the nurse retracted her hand and stood up and went over to the counter.  She gently laid Nick down and started to inspect him.  Sam was going to tell the giantess holding her to bring her closer but the giantess, out of curiosity walked over toward Nick. 

“Nick,” The nurse asked concerned as she carefully inspected Nick.

Sam looked at the giantess in complete shock at the fact that she knew Nicks name.  “How do you know his name?”

“Sam, please I need you to check his pulse,” The giantess said reaching out for Sam.  Sam took a step back in fright and disbelief ran through her.  Sam didn’t know what to do but then something nudged her in the back of her mind.

“J-Jasmine,” Sam asked afraid of the truth.  The nurse didn’t say anything but nodded and extended her hand further toward Sam.  Sam had so much that she wanted to say but then she saw Nick lying on the counter.  Quickly she jumped into Jasmine’s hands and was whisked away toward Nick.  She quickly went over to Nick and checked his pulse and found that it beating, but very slowly.  “He has a pulse but it’s slow.”

“Don’t worry Sam, I’m a nurse, he will be fine.”   The sound of water boiling over drew everyone’s attention to the pot.  “Jewels, can you take care of that,” Jasmine asked as she turned her attention back to Nick.  Sam watched as the giantess walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of milk and placed it in the boiling water to heat it up.  Sam looked up at Jasmine who was starting to inspect Nick more thoroughly.  Jasmine caught her strange look and said, “There is a lot that you guys need to hear about, but first let’s take care of Nick.”

 

 

Nick opened his eyes to a searing pain running all up and down his body.  His eyes shot open as he let out a silent cry at the pain.  Nick couldn’t see as a bright light blinded him.  Nick was too weak to move and could do nothing as he started to blink to let his eyes readjust.  When they finally readjusted Nick could start to make out the room he was in.  He was in a bed room with white painted walls with pictures of people on the walls.  There was a giant dresser, a closet with the door half open with a pair of shoes in the door way, and another room with a light on which was a bathroom.  Nick blinked once, and took another look around and saw at his side was Sam who had a look of relief and worry on her face.  Trying to say something Nick tried to open his mouth but couldn’t due to how weak he was.

“Shhh, it’s ok,” Sam said reaching out to touch Nick but stopping.  The look of pain in her eyes could tell Nick how badly he was injured.  The fact that he couldn’t speak should have tipped him off.  Nick took another look around, he and Sam were on a storage chest at the foot of what he assumed was queen size bed.  Nick spotted the door to the hallway and it was slightly open.  Suddenly the door slowly opened slightly.  Nick watched as cupcake pushed open the door further and started to walk into the room. 

Nick started to panic for Sam’s safety as the cat started to head toward them.  Before Nick could say anything to Sam, there was a voice that asked, “Is he doing better?”  It belonged to the nurse who walked into the room wearing different clothes from before, more relaxing.  She effortlessly picked up the cat and came over and sat next to them.  “How are you doing,” she asked Nick.

Nick didn’t say anything but had a defiant look in his eye showing that was ready to fight.  Sam looked back at Nick and noticed him staring down the giantess.  She quickly popped him on the arm causing Nick to groan and give Sam a confused look.  “What are you doing,” she asked shocked, making him even more bewildered by Sam’s reactions.

“It’s ok Sam,” the giantess laughed.  “I’m sure he just doesn’t recognize me.”  Nick frowned at those words.  He didn’t forget people often and he was positive he never met anyone like this person before.  “It’s been a long time…”

Nick was about to say something but stopped, “No it can’t be … Jasmine?”  The giantess gave Nick a wide smiling grin that he knew all too well.  It all started to come together.  There was something odd about the giantess when Nick saw her features that reminded him of someone, but he couldn’t put it together. “But that means the last time you saw us was-”

“About 30 years ago,” Sam finished.

“Yeah,” Jasmine sighed as she seemed to be recalling the events.  Then there was an excited look on her face, “I have so much to tell you.  I told Sam that when you feel better I would tell you both.  So how do you feel?”

Nick was feeling slightly better than when he woke up but was still hurting.   Unfortunately he wasn’t going to let this stop him from catching up with Jasmine and everything that has happened.  “I’m fine.  So… 30 years, that’s a long time.”

“Yeah… and I got so much to tell you-”

“MOM, WE’RE GOING TO BE LATE,” shouted a voice somewhere else in the house belonging to the boy that dropped Nick.

“Ok Danny,” Jasmine answered.  She gave both of them a sadden look, “I’m sorry I completely forgot, I have to take my son to a soccer game.”

“It’s ok, we’ll be here when you get back,” Sam said. 

Jasmine got up and carried Cupcake out of the room with her, “I’m sooo sorry, if you need anything my daughter Julie is here.  I’ll tell you all everything when I get back I swear it.”  With that Jasmine left.

After hearing a door close, what could only be Jasmine leaving with her son Danny, Nick let out a loud exhale and leaned back letting his body relax.  “30 years…” Nick said letting it sink into both of them. 

“How,” Sam asked looking toward the doorway of what could only be Jasmine’s room. 

Nick let out a tired sigh, “Time flows differently here.  We waited for a year to see Jasmine, imagine how she must have felt.”  Neither of them said anything as that thought hung in the air.  Trying to change the subject Nick said, “So what did I miss?”

Almost if on cue there was a noise down the hallway.  In a few seconds the Julie walked past the doorway toward the noise.  It was a few seconds later and Julie came back into view carrying a baby that was less than a year old.  Nick watched with complete shock at the family that Jasmine has.  Julie quickly glanced into the room and caught Nick staring.  She gave him a glare that sent a cold shiver down his spine and then she was gone.  Nick looked over at Sam but she didn’t seem to catch the look that Julie made. 

“Are you feeling better,” Sam asked looking at him.

“Yeah,” Nick answered starting to stand up but sat down due to the pain.

“Liar,” Sam said angrily.

“I’ll be better in a couple of hours.”

“Oh right,” Sam said as she remembered something.  “Here, I still have that rock thing,” Sam said pulling out the rock and handing it to Nick. 

Nick picked it up and inspected it for a few seconds and let out a disappointed sigh.  “Yeah thought so,” and dropped the rock.

“What,” Sam asked confused.

Nick closed his eyes and laid down.  “It’s empty,” Nick stated.

“What,” Sam said again even more confused as she picked up the rock and looked at it but didn’t notice anything wrong with it.

“But how-” Sam started but Nick waved his hand.

“It’s ok; I would have died if you didn’t help me.  When you tapped into the rock you drew all the power out and released it all in one go.  Luckily you released the energy in a broad blast and not focused or… well let’s just say Cupcake wouldn’t be here right now.”

“So what does that mean for us now?”  Sam asked.

Still keeping his eyes closed, “It means it’s just like old times, we need to wait a while before I can build up my energy to take us home.”

Looking on the bright side Sam said, “That’s not so bad that means we can catch up and spend more time with Jasmine.”  More excitedly she said, “And she has kids too!  Oh I can’t wait to get to know them.”

“Yeah me too,” Nick said unenthusiastically.  Nick couldn’t help but recall the look that he got from Julie.  It was a look that he remembered all too well, it was a look of detest.  “I can’t wait to meet them,” Nick said quietly, as he knew this wasn’t going to be fun at all.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry it’s been too long.  Went back to college and forgot about this.  I will finish this but chapters are going to be slow to finish.  If you find any mistakes please let me know.