- Text Size +

 "So you understand why we're having a little face time at the moment, right?"

Claire's annoyance, much like her narrowed eyes, drilled through the little glass shield that separated her from the object of her scorn. The Alpha man that sat behind that screen, bedecked in a dark business suit that went well with his sporty little car, gave no response. Well, that wasn't quite fair, Claire thought. He was shivering as if he were in the arctic, and his little eyes were staring unblinkingly forward at her. Then there were his hands, gripping the steering wheel with such fervor that they were bone white - even through the windshield's tint.

The Omega supposed she couldn't quite blame him for it. He was sitting in his vehicle, itself pinched between her thumb and forefinger, and being held aloft at about 140 feet. Facing her scowling face probably wasn't helping his demeanor, either, which she might have found amusing given the brazen attitude that had put him in this mess.

Might have, had it not been for what had almost happened.

"No?" she questioned, tilting her head incredulously to the side. "Then let's jar that memory."

Her upturned hand, car still held in the pincer grip of her fingertips, pivoted on its wrist, facing her new little friend away from her. She could only imagine the sight of office windows blurring by as he spun around, the sense of his stomach rising as she knelt down onto her haunches as her clutching arm began to move forward. As she moved the little vehicle forward, lowering it closer to the black asphalt road until it hovered just a few above, Claire almost felt like a little kid playing with her cars again. Of course, back then there hadn't really been spectators, gazing up in awe at her as she held a vehicle as if it were a mere toy. Nor had her little cars been occupied.

She certainly hadn't ground traffic to a complete halt as she had went about her business. She did regret the inconvenience she was causing at the moment, but she'd be on her way soon enough. Her hand eventually came to a halt, stopped in the dead center of one of the city's many busy intersections. The little car just hung there, facing down the length of the four lane road while Claire knelt over the scene in her own walking lane.

"You remember this right?" she asked, not without a drip of condescension and while knowing full well she couldn't see an answer. She didn't really need one. "You were riiiiight here when I grabbed you up," Claire explained, "and right in front of you was a van. That van, actually."

Claire's eyes turned up a bit and to the left, and she turned the little car in her grip to face the crimson van that, with the rest of the traffic, sat stopped and watching on the perpendicular lane that ran through the intersection. The windows, she noted, were down, and the Omega's sharp eyes picked up on the blonde woman looking back at Claire and her temporary captive with an expression that was more than a bit shaken. And in the windows behind her own, Claire counted four more curious little faces - children's faces, and she felt annoyed all over again.

"And you were what? About a foot away when I managed to yank you up?" Claire asked, rhetorically. It had been a foot. "And you were going, what, 60?" He had been. "And the light was, I believe, red?"

Claire began to rise, pulling the little car back toward herself as she did so even as she took the opportunity to scan his license plate with her eyes, committing the sequence of digits to memory. She rose deliberately, with care, though mostly out of concern for the shaken little girl currently resting in a pocket of her cargo shorts. She had probably jarred her enough when making her move to nab the little vehicle in her grip before something terrible had happened.

Speaking of which...

Now standing at her full height once more, dwarfing some nearby buildings while closing the gap to the tops of others, Claire's wrist pivoted once more to face the man in her possession toward her yet again. His hands still had the steering wheel clutched in a death grip, though this time he seemed less eager to simply stare forward into her withering gaze. Instead, he averted his eyes almost immediately upon making contact with her this time. The shivering was still there, too, but it seemed...calmer. Different.

Maybe, she thought, he's starting to understand.

"So. Starting to get it, then? What would have happened if I hadn't been passing by? If I had been even half a second later in catching your little car?"

Her eyes continued to bore through the glass as she asked her questions, and Claire was almost certain she'd actually puncture them if she continued with it. The object of her ire continued to evade eye contact, seemingly content to just shiver, but amidst that trembling his head began to nod. Slowly, and lightly, but it was there.

"So if you get that much," Claire continued, her voice starting to slip into a business monotone, "you must understand what would have likely happened had that crash happened. Because going at that speed, something would have happened. To you. To that woman. To those children. All because of your irresponsible behavior. You do understand that, right?"

At that, she watched a lump pass down the captive man's throat, followed by a deep breath. Slowly, he turned to face her again, and his grip around the wheel began to weaken. His shaking, too, began to lessen. Following this, that nodding started again. It was slow, as it had been the first time, but at the same time more...purposeful. Closing her eyes for a moment, the Omega sighed. She liked the look in the Alpha's eyes, one of understanding. Her annoyance began to slowly melt in the face of it, though she still wasn't in anything resembling a good mood regarding the situation.

"Good," she exclaimed, opening her eyes again. "So here's one more question: I put you down to go on your way. This - the "you speeding and running red lights because screw everyone else" thing - doesn't happen again. You drive like a responsible, considerate adult, and a talk like this never happens again. Is this something that happens if I let you go on your way?"

A considerate nod was his response, and for the Alpha's part, he maintained a steady eye contact with her through it. He was taking her words seriously, and truth be told there was something else in his little gaze. A sense of...realization, she guessed. Again, a good thing in her eyes.

"Then that's what we'll do, then," Claire informed, though she wasn't quite done. "But separate from that, I do have your tag number, and I'm gonna report this little incident to the authorities. So that they're aware of what happened should you be involved in another little incident down the road. I feel that's fair. You?" Another nod. No hesitation, but clearly one with that same consideration behind it. "Well okay, then."

With that, Claire knelt once more, and soon enough she had deposited the little car tenderly upon road, facing the same direction as he had been during his transgression of basic traffic laws.

"Go ahead, get a move on," she urged, returning to her standing height. She now towered behind the vehicle, driving in once more what a little toy it was. "And remember what I said."

To the Alpha's credit, he did as suggested. Claire watched him drive away as she stood and observed, and his driving was much better, much safer as he made his way down the road. Sticking to the speed limit, stopping at the red lights. Soon enough, he took a right turn, and as such disappeared from view. Sighing once more, Claire yanked her phone from her pocket and input a quick note of the man's tag number for posterity. She's report the incident when she got back home, when she was in territory that didn't require quite as much focus.

Stowing the device away in the pocket opposite of Stephanie, Claire noted that traffic had begun to resume, both in car and on foot. That van, too, had apparently gone on its way. A pity, Claire thought, she had wanted to check in on the lady and those children. Instead, she supposed she best resume her travel.

She put one attentive foot forward, followed by the other, until her walking pace had resumed in full. Having this central lane reserved for Omega use was all well and good, of course, but as had just been proven, there was plenty of reason to remain alert and on the lookout. Still, though, she was glad that business had been concluded rather peacefully.

Passing between the buildings, fragile little shells to her that contained even more fragile lives, Claire felt her good humor returning. She enjoyed having an excuse to walk through the city proper. It was fun, after all, to compare these brick and mortar towers to the flesh and blood tower she herself stood as. It was a source of amusement to her, knowing that even the buildings that managed to dwarf her were still not an actual match for her strength - that was an objective fact. She had done demolition work with Melody about a year ago, after Aegis had been contracted to take care of a few larger buildings that had fallen into disuse and disrepair. The ease with which they had gone about their task amazed Claire to this day - those buildings, towers of might in their own right, had been like little kiddy toys at the hands of the two women, their powerful hands and arms crushing through stone and metal with incredible ease as they had carefully destroyed particular areas to facilitate a straight collapse. It had been quite an amazing sight to see, to be a part of bringing low such structures, and Claire idly found herself hoping another such contract would come along in the near future.

More than any of that, though, was that she could once more return to the pleased demeanor she had worn before coming across that near catastrophe, a demeanor born of pride in the girl on her person, at the progress they had made earlier today. She hoped Stephanie would be up for talking again within a few days. She wanted to talk some more about William, learn more about their activities as children. She wanted to help her, to finish the healing process that had been so sickeningly interrupted and perverted. And today...today, she thought, was a wonderful first step down that road, and she had to resist its call to put a spring in her step.

Helping her feelings along while simultaneously attempting to whittle down her resistance to such dalliances was, of course, her destination. The place she was getting steadily closer to with each long stride. The person she was getting closer to, who she hadn't seen in months, a separation that had gone on far too long for her tastes. And Claire couldn't wait to see him. To see her dad. To hold him safely within her hands once more.

 

Chapter End Notes:

This is going to be a fairly light little 3 part thing. Updates will not be far apart - I'm planning 3-4 days. 5 tops if something happens, and I've already got the second part in editing.

Hope folks enjoy this little introductory thing, it was fun to write.