- Text Size +

A brown-haired girl walked into the Grade 12 classroom looking around for a seat, finding one next to a red-headed girl, she sat down and put her stuff down on the desk. She turned to the girl beside her.


 


Brown-Haired Girl: “Um...Hello...”


 


The red-headed girl looked around for a second before looking down at Renee with an intrigued look.


 


Brown-Haired Girl: “My name is Renee...”


 


The red-headed girl looked blank for a moment before giving a warm smile.


 


Red-Headed Girl: “Hi! My name is Lily, I'm guessing that you're a new student or something?”


 


Renee: “Um...Yes, I am from France...”


 


Lily: “Wow, that's cool! Have you been here for long?”


 


Renee: “No, I only got here yesterday, I have not had the chance to look around yet.”


 


Lily: “Well, This is a fairly small town but I can show you around later if you want?”


 


Renee wasn't entirely sure of what Lily's intentions but felt that there was no reason to say no.


 


Renee: “Okay, What classes do you have?”


 


Lily: “I have English, Computer Science and Applied Math then no classes in the afternoon.”


 


Renee: “I have English, Graphic Tech. And Applied Math, and I also have no classes in the afternoon.”


 


Lily: “Oh, perfect! We'll have the whole afternoon to explore and chat.”


 


Renee was starting to warm up to Lily, Renee felt a little uncomfortable since Lily was rather large in comparison but she seemed to be outgoing and friendly.


 


Renee had never been around many larger people before, she had spent her entire life in France and other than a few tourists here and there, she had never interacted with any of them before.


 


Renee: “Okay, is your Math teacher Ms. Watson?”


 


Lily: “Yep! We'll met up at the bus stop outside, I get a friend to come with us too!”


 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 


Once noon came around, Renee walked outside to the bus stop where Lily wanted to meet, after a few moments, Renee saw Lily bright face and a brown-haired boy was walking beside her.


 


Lily: “Hi Renee! This is the friend I was talking about, his name is Adam.”


 


Adam: “Hey Renee, Lily told me a bit about you, I'm Canadian by the way.”


 


Lily: “Oh, I'm American if you didn't know already.”


 


Renee: “It is nice to meet you Adam. How did you two meet?”


 


Lily: “Adam moved here around...I think ten years ago?”


 


Adam: “Yep, that's right. On my way to school on my first day, Lily came running by, tripped and almost fell straight on top of me, you should have seen her face!”


 


Lily: “I was so embarrassed, We were only seven years old but I was apologizing like you wouldn't believe, I thought that he would have been terrified but the first thing he said to me was...”


 


Adam: “Wow, that was so cool! Heh, I'd never seen any larger people before since our moving in was handled by other Canadians so I thought that she was awesome!”


 


Lily: “Yeah, we've been best friends since!”


 


Renee: “That sounds very sweet! So what are we doing today?”


 


Lily: “Well, I know that our town of Ashley, North Dakota isn't exactly big, but we do have a few tourist attractions, after we're done, I was hoping we could just talk for the rest of the day.”


 


Adam: “Yeah, it's not every day we get a French girl move into town. I bet you have an interesting life.”


 


Renee thought about what kind of day was ahead of her. She felt that it was going to be a good day.


 


Renee: “This sounds like fun! I would be glad to talk about myself as long as you two tell me about yourselves as well.”


 


Lily: “Sure!”


 


Lily bent down and picked up Adam and put him on her left shoulder.


 


Lily: “Do you mind if I pick you up?”


 


Renee wasn't sure, she had never really thought about something like this but seeing Lily and Adam smiling at her encouraged her to try some new things.


 


Renee: “Well...Okay!”


 


Renee stepped onto Lily's hand and she lifted Renee up rapidly and put her down on her right shoulder.


 


As Lily started walking, Renee was amazed at the feeling of being so high up, but also felt some nausea in her stomach, she was very excited being able to actually see at the same level as Lily.


 


Lily: “How's the view?”


 


Renee: “It is very...normal...”


 


Lily: “Normal? ...Oh, I get it!”


 


Adam: “Yeah, it's a whole other world when you're small like us. I'm a bit bigger but when the majority of the town is your size Lily, it feels almost...alien...at times.”


 


Renee: “Yes, it is like that, it is so different living among people that are so much larger then I am.”


 


Lily: “I never thought of it like that...I hope that you guys have never felt out of place, you guys are awesome!


 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 


Adam: “So what do you think of the town Renee? It's a bit underwhelming I'm sure but I find that it has a quaint, small-town charm to it.”


 


Renee: “It is a very beautiful town, the people are so nice...”


 


While she was enjoying herself, Renee did have an off feeling in the back of her head.


 


Lily: “Hmm? What's the matter? You look a bit down in the dumps.”


 


Renee: “I am sorry, it is not that I am not enjoying this, I am just feeling a bit home-sick. But it is not a big deal, really!”


 


Adam: “Ahh, I know what you mean, my dad and I moved here when mom died, she was in the military, my dad never really told me what happened though, I was depressed for a while but my dad and Lily here really helped me through it though.”


 


Lily: “Yeah, spend some time with us and I'm sure you'll get used to the place!”


 


Renee: “Ah, Thank you very much!”


 


Renee felt glad that her new friends were being so nice to her, it was easy to feel like an outsider when starting out in a new place but these nice people were really helping her along.


 


Lily: “Don't worry about it! As long as we're friends, I'll make sure that you'll have plenty of fun here!”


 


The End