- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is another concept that I'm going to try and explore the psychological effects and realism that such a situation might definately retain.

There will be a lot of Hand Held in this story as well.. Unfortunately I did not see this listed in the Category Options for tags so I'm giving the potential reader and additional head's up on that account.

Author's Chapter Notes:

Acclimation

In the Name of Science

 



Chapter 1

 



Acclimation

 



"HELLO.. HELLO IN THERE.. ARE YOU AWAKE NOW?.... IF NOT I NEED YOU TO PLEASE TRY AND WAKE YOURSELF AND RESPOND TO ME IF YOU CAN."

 



This is how my day started. With a booming voice jarring me from my sleep. I was naturally confused waking upon the strange mattress that I found myself upon. It was a single sized mattress with no bed or sheet covering. In fact it was only a mattress strewn upon this darkened floor within this strange dimly lit room that I found myself in. Six thin shafts of light came through the ceiling hitting the floor making things somewhat visible as I scanned my surroundings more. I was encased within four blank walls that had a metal mesh of bars criss crossing between them giving this place the appearance of a jail cell within a room but the cell just barely fit within the room as the outer walls were but a single inch or so beyond the bars.

 



On the far side of the room was a huge bottle of water suspended from the ceiling that had a metal tube that came down out of it with a metal ball at the very end of that tube. A ball that glistened with water that was holding back the water within the tube as well as the rest of it in the huge bottle. As my groggy mind came around I realized that this was some massive oversized gerbil bottle used to give them liquids so that they could survive.

 



Down below this bottle on the floor was a huge brown chunk of what looked like a gerbil nutrition pellet. To the side of that was a huge rough chunk of what could only be concluded was soap. Against the far wall was what I thought was two normal sized buckets. Getting up off of the simple drab mattress I walked over to see what was in the buckets... One was empty and the other was filled with what looked like gravel but it was a yellowish translucent gravel as if the pebbles were made of glass or something.

 



Then the voice almost scared me out of my skin as it boomed again from all directions. I could tell that it was feminine and mature at that.. Perhaps even elderly.

 



"PLEASE, IF YOU CAN HEAR ME, SHOUT OUT YOUR NAME. IT'S IMPORTANT THAT WE TALK."

 



Beginning to feel enraged about my current imprisonment I did agree about the necessity to talk so I answered her in my most forcefully demanding way that I could think of at the moment.

 

"Who the fuck are you and where the hell am I? Open the door now so that I can get the fuck out of here!"

 



Then I noticed something... All that I was wearing were my maroon colored bikini underwear. All of my other cloths were gone. Did I even want this lady to see me this way? Screw it, I wanted out of here and right now.

 

But if I thought that these demands would properly intimidate this lady into quickly appeasing me I was wrong.

 



"OH GOOD YOU ARE UP AND AWAKE THAT'S EXCELLENT! NOW WE HAVE SOME THINGS TO GO OVER BEFORE I TRY AND MEET ANY OF YOUR DEMANDS BUT YOU'LL NEED TO LISTEN CAREFULLY SO THAT YOU CAN MORE SUCCINCTLY UNDERSTAND YOUR PRESENT SITUATION.

MY NAME IS DOCTOR GUNCKEL AND I HAVE CHOSEN YOU TO BE MY LATEST LAB SUBJECT." DO YOU REMEMBER ME FROM THE LAKE YESTERDAY AFTERNOON?"

 



I immediately searched my mind for the last things that I remembered before I wound up here. I was doing my daily hour long walk that I do before I go back home and exercise for another hour. I was very much in shape and wanted to keep things that way for my thirty one year old body. I remember walking along Buckeye Drive at Indian Lake.. This road wound through some beautiful spits of land that went far out into the lake and almost resembled islands due to their circular shapes that were populated with vacation cottages around it's shores. This time of year virtually no-one was there as it was January and the lake was frozen over with all of the leaves being well below the compacted snow.

 



I was rounding a bend in the road nearing the end of this outcropping of land before it curved back in on itself completing it's circular tip shape when I noticed a white van with it's back doors open pulled into a deserted vacation home's drive way. There seemed to be some older lady with her grey/white hair pulled back in a bun wearing winter clothing tinkering with what can only be described as some type of sci fi Laser cannon pointing out of the back of it.

 



She would glance up, look at me, and then make another adjustment as I had stopped walking to get a better look at this unusual scene taking place. I took a step back to get a better look and noticed that she moved the cannon looking device with the weird Tesla coils jutting out of it with me. It was at this point that I noticed that she was looking into what could only be some type of video screen attached to it and that the strange cannon was aimed right at me with her taking steps to keep it that way.

 

The hairs on my back stood up as I decided that it was time to leave... But before I could take my first step all of my vision got weird as everything around me began to glow. As if I was inside of some type of high energy field. Then it was if I was falling to the ground yet I was still standing. That was weird.. And my feet began sliding on the compacted snow as if I were skating upon it or something.. In any event the snow began moving outward below my feet in all directions causing me to fall right on my ass.. But then it was as if my behind was skidding across the white surface as if I was sliding down a hill yet I remained more or less in the same location that I had been originally standing. I actually felt heat to my flank as the friction of the constant sliding kept running it's course.

 



Then all at once the glowing field that I was encased within disappeared. And my weird movement upon the ground stopped as well. I sad there seeing stars while I tried to get up only to fall right back down due to some type of vertigo that my mind was experiencing. A moment later I heard a couple of loud booms that sounded like those van doors being closed. Then I heard a loud sickening crunching sound as something very big was heading my way. My fright was so high at this point of some type of impending doom along with what had just happened to me that the spots that I was seeing began to get bigger until everything in my head shorted out completely and I fainted....

 



This is what I recalled now. And I'll bet that bitch knocked me out with some type of stun ray or something. It was time to take things to a higher level I reckoned at this point.

 



"Listen lady, I know you knocked me out with your ray gun yesterday. And I'm sure that you took me to this strange place or probably had help doing it (as I was 200 strapping pounds of muscle). If your a good lady and open up the door we'll talk about why you did this and perhaps I wont press charges against you. Either way, you'd best be letting me out of here now you fucking pervert."

 



"GIGGLES... MY AREN'T YOU THE FIERCE LITTLE FIRE CRACKER, HE, HE . I DON'T BELIEVE THAT I NEEDED ANY FORM OF ASSISTANCE TO TAKE YOU BACK TO MY VAN OTHER THAN TO SIMPLY SCOOP YOU UP INTO THE PALM OF MY HAND AND PLACE YOU WITHIN MY INNER COAT POCKET. THEN IT WAS JUST A MANNER OF WALKING BACK TO MY VEHICLE AND DRIVING YOU BACK TO MY LAB WHERE YOU ARE NOW.  OH THE DRIVE THROUGH ALL OF THAT SNOW TO GET  YOU BACK HERE REALLY TUCKERED ME OUT!  THE NEXT PERSON I FIND WILL BE ON A MUCH BETTER DAY OF THE YEAR I ASSURE YOU!"

 

Riding along inside her coat pocket? I'd heard enough from this crazy old lady.

 

" You listen here ma'am, when people get too old they tend to get senile so I'll overlook what you've done today. But you need to open the door so that I can leave now. I promise that I'm actually a nice guy and have never harmed anyone (I lied) and wouldn't dream of doing such a thing to you (I lied again). So would you please be a dear and open the door so that I can get something to eat as I need to pee and I'm starving to be quite honest."

 



I heard more snickers that appeared to be strangely coming from above... Perhaps I was in a pit in her basement or something like in that movie Silence of the Lambs. Yeah, something like that it must be.

 



"WELL FOR YOU INFORMATION MR. JOHNSON. OH, AND I KNOW YOUR NAME BECAUSE I LOOKED AT YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE. I WILL MAKE A COMPROMISE WITH YOU. AND YOU WILL FIND THAT WHEN YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I WILL GIVE YOU SOMETHING AS WELL. I WILL REMOVE A WALL FROM YOUR CONTAINMENT BOX SO THAT YOU CAN SEE WHERE YOU ARE WHICH WILL GO A LONG WAY TO PROVING THAT I'M NOT SENILE WHEN I MAKE THE CLAIM THAT I CARRIED YOU BACK TO MY VAN. BUT BEFORE I DO THIS YOU MUST TELL ME WHAT YOUR OCCUPATION WAS SO THAT I CAN RECORD THIS IN YOUR SOCIOLOGICAL HISTORY THAT I AM COMPILING ABOUT YOU.

 



AS TO RELIEVING YOURSELF IN THE NEAR TERM I SUGGEST THAT YOU USE THAT BUCKET FULL OF SAND THAT I PROVIDED FOR YOU. THE OTHER EMPTY BUCKET IS SO THAT YOU CAN FILL IT WITH WATER THAT I PROVIDED IN THAT RODENT FEEDER ATTACHED TO THE CEILING.

NOW, DO WE HAVE A FIRST STEP AGREEMENT HERE? YOUR VOCATION PLEASE?"

 



At this point I just wanted to strangle the lady with her audacity. And just wait until I got my hands around her fragile old neck I fumed.

 



"Open the God damned door now lady. I'm telling you. The longer you stall on this the more trouble you are going to be in now open it up!"

 



The condescending snickers returned.

 



"HE, HE, HE. YOU ARE LIKE ALL OF THE REST.. IT NEVER SEEMS TO DAWN ON YOU THAT YOU REALLY HAVE NO BARGAINING POWERS AT THIS POINT AND THAT THE BEST THAT YOU CAN DO IS COOPERATE AND NOT RISK OR ROUSE MY IRE. NOW I THINK THAT I'VE MADE A VERY GENEROUS OFFER TO YOU AND YET YOU INSIST ON THIS USELESS LINE OF BELLICOSE SHOUTING SO I'M GOING TO JUST HAVE TO START SHOWING YOU WHERE YOU ARE NOW AND WAITING FOR SOME MORE PERTINENT INFORMATION TO BECOME FORTHCOMING ONCE YOU COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND THE GRAVITY OF YOUR CURRENT STATUS MR. JOHNSON.

 



TAKE A LOOK AT THE WORLD THAT YOU LIVE IN NOW!"

 



And with this a wall close to my mattress lifted up and away leaving only the metal bars of this cell in place along with a whoosh of fresh air that my confined area was in need of. What I saw was out of some Honey I Shrunk the Kids movie set. There was massive row of vials upon a wooden rack sitting upon what appeared to be my ground which was a table top! There was a microscope to the side of them that was as tall as a two story house! I saw pens lying upon the table surface that looked like telephone polls upended and waiting to be placed within the ground in some city. Further back was the bureau that had slots of which each could have been car garages they were so wide. They were filled with things you'd expect to see in any lab except on a massively larger scale.

 



Then the voice from above startled me out of my shock once again.

 

"I'M GOING TO LEAVE THAT PRIVACY WALL OFF FOR TODAY SO THAT YOU CAN GET A GOOD LOOK AT MY DESK. I'LL LET YOU SEE A AN ARTICLE OF MY CLOTHING TOMORROW SO THAT YOU CAN BE FURTHER ACCLIMATED TO MY PRESENCE. AND THEN ON THE NEXT DAY IF YOUR GOOD, I'LL LET YOU SEE A BODY PART OF MINE TO HELP FURTHER YOU ALONG.

 



YOU SEE MR. JOHNSON, I'VE FOUND THAT IF I JUST LET MINIATURIZED PEOPLE SEE ME AS SOON AS THEY WAKE UP OR EVEN AFTER THAT WITHOUT THE PROPER TIME TO ADJUST, SOME SIMPLY GO INTO SHOCK AND SHUT DOWN MENTALLY FOR GOOD OR THEY HAVE HEART ATTACKS. IN ALL CASES THEY ARE NO LONGER OF ANY VALUE FOR ME SO I MUST DISPOSE OF THEM AND FIND NEW ONES AT THAT POINT WHICH CAN BE A HASSLE I TELL YOU. YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE ALL OF THE PAINSTAKING EFFORT THAT GOES INTO THE ACQUISITION OF A NEW SUBJECT. ONE MUST BE VERY CAREFUL IN SUCH ENDEAVORS.

 



NOW, I'M GOING TO REPLACE THE WALL TEMPORARILY SO THAT I CAN PUT YOU TO SLEEP FOR A LITTLE WHILE AS I NEED TO TAKE A CORE BODY TEMPERATURE READING FROM YOU. AND LET ME ASSURE YOU, YOU'D INITIALLY RATHER BE ASLEEP FOR THIS PROCEDURE I'VE FOUND. ONCE THIS IS DONE I'LL REMOVE THE WALL ONCE AGAIN SO THAT YOU CAN LOOK AROUND AND FURTHER ADJUST."

 



I was getting ready to start another shouting tirade when the missing wall slid right back down through the slots on the edges of the remaining walls slamming into the floor causing a vibration to enter though the soles of my feet.

 



Damned I had to pee. So I ran over to the bucket of strange gravel that she called sand and pulled down my underwear and pissing in earnest. I still tried to reason with her. But as I began to speak I heard a clank come from the ceiling and all six rays of light vanished. So just as I finished and began pulling my speedos back up I heard a hissing sound coming from the ceiling.

I began to get very nervous as it dawned on me what was probably occurring. She was gassing my cell..

 



My nose started to twitch and itch as some strange new sweet tasting medium began to replace my oxygen. Then I started getting dizzy. I stumbled across the cell to my mattress and collapsed upon it going out like a light.