- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hopefully this chapter gives you a few answers that you guys might have had. Hope you enjoy!
It was around early morning when Terra walked through the gates of Windhook Village. It was a simple town, filled with local shops and cobblestone streets. It was slightly chilly this morning, as a few fallen leaves would blow across the streets. The shops started to open, while kids played outside. Some would run up and ask her questions, while others would keep their distance.

Terra’s plan was to find the local mayor and see if she could get a job. After being stuck in the forest for a few weeks, Terra wanted to go on an adventure. Not for free of course. While walking through the streets, Terra picked up the scent of the local bakery. Fresh bread seemed like a better idea than the hardtack biscuits that she had in her pack. Following the scent, Terra was finally brought to the baker.

It was a simple shop with glass windows along one side with a chimney in the back. Terra didn’t pay attention to the group of kids playing in the streets, but the one by himself caught her eye. He was probably the smallest out of the kids playing in the streets. He couldn’t have been any more than six in Terra’s opinion. With his hood up, the kid seemed to be staring into the bakery. Since she was going to grab some bread for herself, she might as well get him something to snack on also.

Walking into the bakery, more like crawling really, Terra had to suppress a laugh. The look on the cashiers face was priceless, and it took a few minutes for the owner to talk her from out of the back. Terra continued to buy herself a few biscuits and fresh loaves that she would probably snack on later. After paying and packing her food away, Terra continued to buy a fresh hot roll of leaf bread. It was elvish bread that was popular with kids. You could peal the layers off the bread with each layer being sweeter than the last.

After saying good bye to the owner, Terra made her way outside to deliver the roll to the kid. What Terra was met with as she turned the corner was a group of kids. Once she got closer, she saw that all these kids were picking on the one that was looking into the window.

“Freak!” yelled a little boy, no older than eight.

“Loser!” said an older one, shoving the kid back.

This continued with the child being pushed around the circle. Eventually losing his footing, the kid fell to the ground. The kids then continued to kick dirt at him and spit until Terra decided she had enough. Grabbing the oldest by his collar, Terra slapped his behind, and told him to go home. Seeing the leader punished, the other kids dispersed, going back to playing in the streets. Lifting the kid back up to his feet, the kid pulled his cloak a little tighter.

“Are you alright?” asked Terra reaching into her pocket.

Nodding his head, the kid turned to leave until Terra grabbed his arm gently.

“I’m sorry for what those kids did, but it’s okay now. I thought that you might be hungry so I bought you this.” said Terra producing the leaf bread.

Hesitating for a moment, the kid seemed unsure of what to do. Holding it closer, Terra edged it closer for the kid. Finally reaching out with his much smaller hands, the kid took the roll from Terra. Terra was happy that the kid accepted her gift until she saw his hands. Tied around each palm was a torn red fabric. With the realization hitting her, Terra grabbed his arm a little too roughly, and used her other hand to lift the hood from his face.

Upon lifting the cloak, Terra’s heart skipped a beat as she had finally found him. Resisting the urge to hug him, Terra stopped smiling as she finally took a closer look. Covering his left eye was a large purple and black bruise, swelled up so that he couldn’t open his eye. His bottom lip was slightly swollen as well, and his cheeks seemed a little more sunken in than before. Terra was burning inside with rage, and was about to ask who did this until a shout interrupted them.

“Icarus, where the fuck are you!” yelled a middle aged man with graying hair and a moustache.

Hearing his name called, Icarus quickly crammed the bread back into Terra’s hand. Looking at her fiercely, Icarus shook his head back and forth, warning her not to do anything. Seeing Icarus standing with the half giant, the man pulled him away roughly and threw him to the ground.

“I’m sorry miss if my slave caused you any trouble.” said the man.
Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think so of this story so far. A hint that I will give out is that something in this chapter is a crucial part of the story. I'd like to hear what you guys think that is.