- Text Size +

The pilots in the Airbus A380 went through the flight check. They took the job seriously, but there was a small amount of ennui that snuck into their routine on the clear day. These things damn near flew themselves.

The pilots, as well as the almost 800 passengers, felt the first tremors and thought it odd. The tremors got worse and The crew hastened through the check to get off the shaking ground.

“Tower, we clear?” the copilot asked over the radio.

No reply.

Little did they know, the tower was busy coping with the loss of another large craft on Diane’s shin, and countless other impossible reports.

The tremors increased and the craft rocked on its tiny wheels. The pilots looked at eachother in bafflment as they tried to contact the tower again.

As the craft rocked even more wildly, the pilots realized it was not a matter of staying on schedule, but maybe surviving as they feared the ground may open up to swallow their buffeted craft.

They had no idea what was causing the tremors, but made the decision to get airborne.

Darkness fell over them as storm clouds rolled in.

It was now or never.

The plane started taxiing down the runway as the world seemed to go mad around them. The crew bounced around the cabin in a flurry of activity for pre-flight check, and before they were even most of the way done, they punched it.

The clouds got incredibly thick as the plane started barrel-assing down the tarmac. It had to reach 170 mph before it could start to think about getting off the ground with the largest jet in the world, and a full compliment of passengers.

Sparks flew as a wing hit the ground on the plane’s haul down the runway. The captain pulled on the yoke to compensate and they picked up momentum. The passengers held on for dear life as the huge craft lurched on the listing ground.

The plane bounced in the air with a remor, caught flight for a brief moment, and slammed back into the ground. The crew recovered and did what they could to right the plane. The captain pulled up on the yoke as hard as he could and the plane rose into the air triumphantly if shakily. The seismic doom of the ground fell behind the craft.

The captain sighed with relief as the rest of the crew turned on all manner of lights as they entered the clouds. The captain paid close attention to the radar and radioed any other craft in the area that he took off without advisement of the tower in order to try to escape disaster.

Turbulence hit the craft as it plunged into the clouds. This was like no other cloud they had seen. Thick, impenetrable, hot, and sticky. The windshield wipers could not scrape the moisture off very effectively. Beads of rain ran down the fuselage and clung, weighing it down. Pilot, not passenger could see anyting out of the window. They became aware of more turbulence, but the pilot deftly compensated.

If the radar was to be trusted, the craft should poke out of the clouds soon. As the pilot thought this, the craft did poke out into the sun. The crew cheered!

Just then Diane’s foot lifted and unknowingly hovered over the tiny jet. Their world once again became dark. They had not seen Diane approach from the other side of the city. Diane certainly had not seen the 250 foot long plane that registered as not even 1/10 of an inch to her.

Diane’s heel settled on the ground first as the ball of her foot hovered over them. The plane was booking at over 200 mph now, and Diane’s foot was narrow at 13,000 feet wide, not to mention she stepped liesurly, not in any rush.

They may just make it! They saw light under the incomprehensible sole. But the sole got closer to them, and the air became turbulent again as the toes wiggled and flexed, displacing massive amounts of air.

Gently, her foot descended, and the upper arch caught them! The strands of her stocking snagged the first, but the downward momentum of the foot, pressed them mercilessly miles down until the plane smashed between the sole and the ground. The passengers had little time to ponder their fate as the foot claimed them. Some saw all the way down to the heel, still on the ground, as her arch rose above them. The sight made no sens, but it was still indeed, their last.

When Diane picked her foot back up, the plane was smashed and caught in her stocking’s moist fabric like an incredibly tiny crushed gnat.