- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Mainly a plot chapter this time. Also, did a flashback for the first time. I'm going to be switching back to my other story for awhile, so it'll be a bit before there's another chapter for this one. I'll try not to make the wait too long. Hope you enjoy!
Trouble In A Bottle: Chapter 16

" What do you mean you're not sure you can help me? " Shaun asked.

" If you're the one who freed Zarelda, then you know how dangerous she is. And because she stole your size, she's the one you have to get it back from. That could prove to be very difficult. "

" That's why we came here looking for you. You're part of the order she talked about, right? Isn't it your job to make sure she stays imprisoned? You gotta have some way of stopping her. "

" This is the first time she's ever escaped. Yes, we have protocols for if it ever happened. But it may be too late. You must tell me everything that has happened. "

Shaun retold his story again. Being careful not to leave out any details. Even the more embarrassing ones. David put a hand over his eyes as he listened.

" Okay, the one good thing that I got out of this is that she doesn't have any more of the powder. Without that there is still a chance we can stop her. Both of you come with me. "

David led them down another hallway. He opened a door at the end of the hall and flipped a switch. A single lightbulb lit up to reveal a wooden staircase that went down into a basement. David descended first with Victoria, still holding Shaun, trailing behind him. The basement was full of cardboard boxes and old furniture.

David walked over to a desk that was up against the far wall. He turned on a lamp for extra light, then opened one of the desks drawers and pulled out a small wooden box. He undid the latch of the box; inside the box were four vials of a white powder.

" Is that what I think it is? " Victoria asked.

" This is the powder used to imprison Zarelda ages ago. It is basically the same as the one she used on you-- "

" Oh, I'm Shaun. "

" Shaun. Except there is one difference. This powder binds the magic of whoever it is used on. On a person without magic, it will only have the size changing effect. "

" Okay, that's what we're going to use on her. How are we going to get her to take it? " Victoria walked to the desk and put Shaun down.

" That's the dangerous part. Trying to get her to drink something would be too suspicious. She's likely keeping an eye out for any order members or traps. No, we will have to give it to her instantly. A syringe should do. "

" Will that work? What about her immortality? "

" Zarelda's skin is still puncturable. And since the powder isn't deadly, it will work. Zarelda's immortality will only make the powder work faster. "

" How are we going to get close enough to inject her? "

" In all the time I had Zarelda's bottle in my possession, I never opened it. She does not know my face. I will go to your apartment in disguise. When I have the chance, I'll inject her. "

" Are you sure? She could kill you. " Shaun said.

" Yes, it was my job to guard Zarelda. Stopping her is my responsibility. "

" Hold on, hold on. I have a couple questions. " Victoria interrupted.

" What is it? " David asked confused.

" You said your job was to guard Zarelda. Why did they have one guy in the middle of suburban Arizona guard such a dangerous person? And for that matter how did Zarelda's bottle end up in the garage sale? "

" As to your first question, there are those who wish to free Zarelda and use her for their own purposes. Some believe these people may have spies in the order itself. It was decided long ago that Zarelda would be transported to a new hiding place every three years. The elders of the order decide who to give Zarelda's bottle to. Only them and a few of the most trusted members can know where she is being held. I was chosen to be her jailer because the elders trust me and my place of living is totally inconspicuous. To anyone outside of the order, I'm a simple family man. "

" Alright, that does make sense. What about the garage sale? "

David sighed " That wasn't my fault. That was my wife. She wanted to get rid of some of the old things in the house. I kept Zarelda's bottle hidden down here, I'm still not even sure how she found it. When I came home that day and found the bottle missing, I assumed the worst. Then she told me she sold it to a young man. I know now who she sold it to and it's too late to stop you from freeing her. She got much farther than I thought she would, but there's a chance we can stop her. I'm going to get you some water, so you can take the powder. "

He rose from the desk chair and went up the stairs to the house. Victoria scooped Shaun up in her hand.

" Do you think we can trust this guy? " she asked walking to the stairs.

" What choice do we have? He's our best option. "

They entered the living room just as David came out of the kitchen with a shot glass of water and one of the vials, missing some of the powder, in his hands.

" Bring him over here. " he said gesturing to the kitchen table.

David put the glass down, Victoria put Shaun down next to it.

" Take a few handfuls. " David suggested.

Shaun got on his knees in front of the giant glass and cupped his hands together. He drank four handfuls, noticing it had a strange taste to it.

" Alright, that should do. I'll get a syringe later. We'll carry out the plan tomorrow. Let's trade phone numbers. I'll call tomorrow night when I'm ready for you to pick me up. You just have to take me to Shaun's apartment, I'll handle the rest. "

The two traded numbers.

" Aren't you going to call the order for backup or something? " Victoria asked picking Shaun up again.

" No. I'd rather fix this without them knowing about it. The order is not forgiving. Especially for something like this. Now, you two must go. My wife will be home with the kids soon. "

" Thank you for all your help. I truly appreciate it. " Shaun said.

" You're welcome. I will see you both tomorrow. Goodbye. " David said ushering them towards the door.

Victoria dropped Shaun back in her bag as David opened the front door.

" Bye. " she said hurrying out the door.

She jogged over to her car, quickly slipping in. Once inside, she opened her bag and grabbed Shaun. She put him in the cup holder.

" We finally have a plan! You might be back to your old self pretty soon. " she said excitedly.

" I don't wanna get my hopes too high, but things are starting to look up. "

" You know what? I'm kinda gonna miss having you this small. Those foot rubs are amazing. "

The pair laughed as Victoria started up the car.

__________________________________________________________

Victoria and Shaun returned to the house after talking to David. They both relaxed in the living room until Kyrie came home. When she finally did, they told her everything they had learned from David.

" So, this is all happening tomorrow night? " Kyrie asked sitting on the couch with her legs tucked under her.

" Yep. David's going to get Zarelda to let him in and inject her when she's not looking. " Victoria said sprawled out on the couch with her feet in Kyrie's lap.

" That sounds really dangerous. And Zarelda seems too smart to fall for it. "

" Anything we try is dangerous, Ky. We said the same thing to David. He said it's his responsibility to stop Zarelda and he doesn't want to call the order for backup. "

" I just feel bad he's putting himself in danger for us. "

" Yeah, me too. But he sounds like he knows what he's doing. I think he can do it. " Shaun said sitting on the coffee table.

They all sat in silence for a few moments, letting the days events sink in.

" Well, " Victoria said standing up ", I think I'm gonna turn in for the night. Big day tomorrow. Night you two. "

" Night. " Shaun and Kyrie replied as she disappeared down the hall.

" You wanna call it a night too? " Shaun asked.

" Sure. " Kyrie picked him up carefully and padded into her room.

__________________________________________________________

Shaun leaped from the nightstand and bounced onto Kyrie's bed. Zarelda's spell had kept him from falling asleep yet again. If he didn't give in to it, he wouldn't get any sleep.

" I'm really sorry, Kyrie. I'll make it as quick as possible. " he thought.

He ran all the way to the foot of the bed. When he got there, Kyrie's feet were already poking out from under the sheets.Kyrie was sleeping on her stomach tonight, so her feet were laying sole up. Shaun approached the two giant feet slowly, trying not to disturb Kyrie's sleep. Once in front of her left foot, he kneeled before her toes.

He put a hand on her big toe. Suddenly, the bed jolted with sudden movement. Shaun fell on his back and the lamp on Kyrie's nightstand turned on. The sheet was pulled away as Kyrie turned onto her side and looked down at Shaun.

" Kyrie! I-I'm sorry... Zarelda's spell is too strong. I couldn't help myself. " he said pitifully.

Kyrie gave a small laugh. " Shaun. It's okay. "

" What? Really? I thought you said- "

" I was awake last night. I felt what you did. To be completely honest... it didn't feel half bad. "

" Seriously? You liked it? "

" Yeah. It was nice. I acted like I went to sleep, but I was really just waiting for you to try again. "

" Why? "

" Because I thought it'd be funny. I was right. And I didn't wanna say anything if you weren't going to do it again. "

" I'm glad you got a good laugh out of it. " Shaun said standing up indignantly.

" Don't be mad. To make it up to you, go ahead and give me a foot rub. I don't mind anymore. "

" Don't have to tell me twice. " he said rubbing his hands together.

Kyrie rolled onto her back, causing her feet to stand straight up. Where Victoria's feet towered over him, Kyrie's feet were only a couple inches taller. Shaun remembered a time back in high school when he had given Kyrie a foot rub...

**********************************************************************************

It was a Saturday afternoon during they're junior year. They had finished jogging around the local park twenty minutes ago. They were sitting on a stone bench under the shade of a tree to cool off.

" Ugh, my feet are killing me. I think I need a new pair of shoes. " Kyrie said bringing her foot up onto her knee.

" Those ones are starting to fall apart a little. " Shaun said and took another sip of water.

She started to untie her shoe.

" Think you could do me a favor? " Kyrie said in a suddenly sweet voice.

" What? " Shaun asked suspiciously.

She plopped her bare foot onto his lap. " Give me a massage? "

" What? No! That's gross! " he shoved her foot off his lap.

" Come on. Your big, strong hands would feel so much better than mine. "

" You know, it's funny. You only ever compliment me like that when you want something. "

" Pleeeeeeeease, Shaun. "

" Alright, alright. I'll do it. "

" Yay! " Kyrie said putting her foot back in his lap.

Shaun took her tiny foot in both of his hands. Kyrie's foot was so small it fit almost perfectly in his hand. Her foot was still warm from the run.

" Ah, this is weird. "

" Quit stalling and start rubbing. "


Shaun kneaded his thumbs into her sole for awhile.

" Alright, I'm done. "

" Not so fast. You have a whole other foot to do. " Kyrie said putting her other foot in his lap.

" Ugh. " Shaun sighed.

He spent another fifteen minutes rubbing that foot.

" Okay, I can't take it anymore. This massage is over. " Shaun said standing up.

" That wasn't so bad, was it? " Kyrie asked.

" I need to go wash my hands. "

Kyrie laughed as Shaun walked to the nearest bathroom...

**********************************************************************************

Things had changed drastically since then. Now, Shaun was only inches tall and liked the thought of rubbing Kyrie's giant feet.

" I really hope everything goes well tomorrow night. " he thought.

Shaun started rubbing small circles into Kyrie's sole with his hands. He rubbed everything he could reach and moved onto the next foot. He remained in control of himself when he finished this time.

" That felt great, Shaun. This might need to become a nightly thing. "

" I'd be fine with that. It'll keep Zarelda's spell calm and be my way of paying you back for all your help. "

" Okay, it's a deal. Come here. We both need to get some sleep. "

Kyrie picked him up and put him back on the nightstand. Shaun laid down on his towel bed.

" Night, Shaun. "

" Night, Kyrie. "

The two both drifted off to dreamless sleeps.