- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
SOMEWHERE IN THE PENTAGON
(JANUARY 20, 1963)
* * * * *

Bryce Paxton gently deposited two black-and-white photographic blow-ups on General Phillips' desk. One of them showed a Russian army officer; the other, a Latin-American bullfighter. The faces of both men were superficially similar (up to and including their moustaches and goatees). Although, the former looked twenty-to-thirty years younger than the other.

"Meet the legendary Anatoly Berkov," said Paxton (reading from a beige-colored dossier): "After becoming a big hero for the Commies, during the Russian Civil War, he spent most of the Twenties and half of the Thirties running guns to the Chicoms via Macao.* In the process, he learned enough Portuguese to pose as a Brazilian war correspondent--for DIARIO DE PERNAMBUCO--during the civil war in Spain. After which, he emigrated to Mexico, posing as a refugee matador from Galicia! Thereby allowing him to spy on Gestapo agents in Mexico City during World War II."

"A naturalized citizen of the U.S. since 1950, he switched to making luchador movies, eight years ago. Supposedly, because of arthritis. But, more likely, as a front for smuggling sleeper agents up from TJ as 'uncredited extras.' "

General Phillips looked over the two photos.

"This guy disappeared--from the middle of a crowded restaurant--over a month ago. And, we're just hearing about him, now?!"

Paxton could only shrug.

"The LAPD initially treated it as a routine missing persons case. It's only in the last twelve hours that the FBI brought it to our attention."

"Who were the last people to see him alive?"

"This May/December couple."

Paxton--quite respectfully--threw down two more photos. Albeit, full color ones. The one on the right showing a young Chinese woman wearing a pink pillbox hat, a la Jacqueline Kennedy. The one on the left showing a Caucasian male at least thirty-to-forty years her senior.

"Their Dutch passports identified them as Mr. and Mrs. Hans Van Praag. Originally from Sinkawang, Borneo. But, we think the husband might actually be an East German operative named...Werner Petermann."

Paxton turned another page in the dossier.

"An Old Guard Commie, like Berkov, Petermann was run out of Nazi Germany in 1933. Spending most of World War II heading a French Resistance cell in Alsace-Lorraine. He was later appointed adjutant to the military attaché of the East German embassy...in Czechoslovakia. But, he's been 'out-of-sight/out-of-mind' ever since his transfer to Peking in 1960."

"Hmmmmmm!" mused the general (left hand on jaw): "Do you think he was ordered to resurface and eliminate Berkov for some reason?"

"It wouldn't surprise me," replied Paxton: "He certainly holds quite a record for 'extreme prejudice' against the Nazis!"

"Well, then; if he ever pops up again, in our sphere of influence, be just as prejudicial and sic that young bulldog on him."

"What young bulldog?"

"That scout-sniper from Guantanamo who first helped us get our hands on Solution 62."

"Oh! You mean, Myron Meriwether."

Phillips nodded: "Bingo!"

* * * * *

DALLAS, TEXAS
(TEN MONTHS LATER)

The moment he had re-enlarged himself to normal size, Park Kim Jung had quickly inserted a drug-tipped acupuncture needle into each of the sleeping couple's necks. The one in young Mrs. Oswald's neck was to insure she stayed just plain asleep. Her husband, however, was given a different drug. One that would allow the North Korean ninja to more effectively apply his saiminjitsu!

"Tomorrow morning, you will report to the School Book Depository, no differently than usual."

"No differently than usual," muttered the young man in repetition.

"When you see the motorcade approaching your position, you will immediately open fire."

"I will immediately open fire.

"Without fear or hesitation," added Park.

"Without fear or hesitation," replied Oswald.

The North Korean smiled: "Ni!"

With that, he retraced his footsteps to the fireplace; shrank back down to a foot tall; and, then, climbed back up the chimney to where the specially trained barn owl was waiting for him.

A moment later, he had mounted the bird's neck and flown away.

tbc
Chapter End Notes:
*Chicom: obsolete American military slang for "Chinese Communist."

DIARIO DE PERNAMBUCO: oldest continuously circulating newspaper in Brazil.

Luchador: generic Spanish term for a masked professional wrestler.

TJ: American slang term for Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico.

Peking: Cold War-era spelling of Beijing.

Saiminjitsu: ninja hypnotism.

Ni: Korean word for "yes."