- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Unrelated to chapter 2: ROBOTS

***

The cold Earth wind blew against Janna's neck, playing with her hair, making her heart pound even faster. The single moon reflected against the crashing blue waves below. Tiny ships moved around, like worker ants - not even bothering to look up at her. The woman kept looking down to make sure no humans were wandering below her - and she constantly patted the hill to make sure it wasn't about to collapse. Having worked with humans before - and been the cause of some occupational hazards - she knew that she had to keep her wits about her.

How did those people see her? A monster, perhaps? She tried to put herself in the shoes of one of the humans below. If a gigantic visitor visited her own home planet, Janna would probably faint. Seeing something so massive, in a place so dear to her- she had to be sure to be on her best behavior.

Janna took a deep breath, after making sure no helicopters were nearby. She'd stay in the moment, take in the quiet beauty of the land no matter how easy it would be for her mind to be dragged away by the soft noises of the ocean, the flashing city lights in the distance, or...

Him.

The warrior beside her, a suit of mechanic armor hiding a heart of gold. The great hero who'd saved her time and time again. "Eileifr, Thor's Glory" - that was his codename. But she knew his real name was Elof- he'd told her once, alone. A champion of justice, defender of the weak- and oh, gosh, the way he posed when he lept into battle! And finally, they had a moment alone...

She struggled to stay calm. More deep breaths.

Back on her homeland, something of a trading post, many cultures met- and all sorts of bandits and beasts came for meals and riches. She was just a simple worker there- and had no idea how to handle them. But whenever danger came, Eileifr would rush out of the shadows. And whenever possible, Janna made sure to watch from afar- or see a recording. Her heart jumped every time his fist flew through the air. When she saw him lift a great monster into the air, her blood rushed faster. Her mind always started wandering as to what kind of man was underneath that suit- it couldn't be a woman, because his booming voice always used the most masculine tone. The image appeared again and again in her head- a handsome, toned warrior, oozing with boyish charm and bravado! She almost licked her lips when it looked like his armor would come off in combat- but to this day, his identity remained hidden.

Yet, the part Janna loved the best was watching him handle civilians- especially small ones. He was so calm and gentle when working with those tiny humans. Right before leaping back into the shadows he came from, he'd make sure they were all okay. Before, Janna never thought much about Earth's people. Annoyances, if anything. Little bugs mooching off other races and demanding equal treatment. But seeing Elof handle them with such precision and dignity- she realized that needed to change. She started to look out for them- make sure none of her coworkers stepped on one by accident, or played around with them if they looked scared. She helped to heal a few that had been injured by accident. All this because of her hero's example- and how she longed to see his gentle, quiet side up close, for herself.

And here he was beside her, calm and unmoving as a stone sculpture. Moving out of her fantasy world, Janna checked her surroundings. Yes, the ocean was still mostly calm, bustling with busy human ships. The city was still there. There weren't any bloodstains on the hill- and the indent that her body made into it was nothing a bit of erosion couldn't fix.

Her head turned to his helmet. He was looking right at her! Janna had to say something- but had no idea where to start. What was going on inside of there? Why had he invited her here? Yes, Earth was beautiful and exotic- but there had to be something more, something Earth meant to him. Sure, they were close - but there was still some sort of unspoken distance between them. Even when they spoke together, even when he saved her, he be constantly dodging questions, as if speaking with her was its own conflict. He always looked as if he was hiding some irresistable mystery inside...

***

A shiver ran down Elof's spine. Being inside his giant robot, Eileifr, always made him feel ready to take on any challenge. But this- this was something he'd never seen before. His homeland always gave him a nostalgic, safe feeling- like he could retreat to his memories, toned in beautiful sepia.

And Janna- she was so much more than a forbidden fruit. She wasn't just a fangirl. There was some sort of wonderful spirit inside of her- an earnest compassion, a way of looking at things differently. Back when he'd first went into space in Eileifr, he was just trying to find a place in the alien world, and look out for his people. But this woman- speaking with her was something completely extraordinary. She was the first to show him the real beauty of this foreign world, explain what made everything about it so amazing. Seeing her enthusiasm had ignited something new in him. An appreciation of their mighty technology. Insight into their culture. Space wasn't so much of a void, but a sea full of adventure - and she was able to see the smallest details in things, gush excitedly over what others would ignore.

But seeing his homeland and the woman together- it was downright surreal. She towered over absolutely everything. All eyes fell onto her- even moreso than on her homeworld. Her people never cared much about humans, but Elof hoped Janna would be different. He wanted to show her all he loved about his world. And yet, the only way he could express it would be to take off his suit.

To show her that he was a human. Crush all of her dreams of a mighty, muscular warrior from her home. Pull back the curtain, and reveal how weak he really was.

Janna was quieter than he'd ever seen her- more serious. Next to her massive, wonderful frame, everything he'd known looked tiny. He couldn't help but feel like she was analyzing everything- like a goddess looking over the world before passing judgement. At any moment, she could decide to destroy it all. And it would only be fair- after all, if he took his helmet off, he'd ruin what she loved, too.

It was horrifyingly beautiful just looking at her lying down, head pointed to the stars. Now, she was looking right at him. Her eyes sparkling with that same curiosity- did she suspect something? Her beautiful lips in a forced smile that could swallow him whole, and still have room...

He couldn't lie to her forever. There had to be a way to let her down easy. If he didn't do it as soon as possible, she'd just be that much more devastated when he did. No matter how great is was living as a hero, adored by her, she deserved the truth. She deserved more than the love a pathetic human like him could give. He just hoped that, no matter how impossible it was, they could still at least be friends, somehow.

His cockpit felt incredibly warm and comfortable. Elof kept staring at the woman, larger than ever, her very presence overshadowing the world. Just one step out. Just one word, and they'd never be able to see eye-to-eye again. His breath got heavier. It had to be now. Now was the chance. Now! Now-

***

"I'm- I'm-"

Janna's heart raced faster. This was it. Something great was coming- and she couldn't wait. His massive, steel-coated form looked so wonderful. Now, she'd find what made the armor move...

"METEOR!"

The small human below ruined the moment- but she couldn't blame them. Up in the sky, a great ball of fire was hurling towards the Earth. Too large to disintegrate in the stratosphere, but too small for anyone to notice until now- if this hit, she couldn't tell how much damage would be done.

As always, Eileifr launched into action, grabbing the rock. Yet, there was something different- where was his usual bravery? His speech about justice? Some form of energy was missing from him- and yet, something glowed even brighter.

Holding the meteor in both hands, he seemed to struggle with it. His feet were planted in the water, slowly sinking down. The heat was melting his armor off. With a quick movement of her hand, Janna plucked some human boats out of the way- and rushed to his aid. Though she couldn't match his strength- though she didn't deserve a hero as strong and gentle as him- maybe she could help him.

From the nearby city, seeing the two titans- one of flesh, one of steel- working together to save them was breathtaking. Against the starlit sky, they struggled as one, looking at each other- strangely engrossed in the moment.

And, at last, the rock was sent back into space.

Janna dipped her hands back into the cold water immediately. When they emerged, they had horrid, painful burns- but it didn't mean anything next to what happened to Eileifr. His entire body was falling apart. Molten armor ran down his body, revealing layers of sparking wires and joints- the giantess rushed him back to the hill, holding him in her long, weakening arms.

"No, no. It's okay. You've- you've had stuff like this before, right? R-right... ? Elof...?"

The body remained still. As bits of torn armor fell off, it felt cold and limp. Lifeless.

***

Elof's escape mechanism finally set off- after half of his limbs were torn apart. Eileifr had faced this kind of damage before- he could fix it. But with everything that happened there...

Well, maybe another human could climb in and become Eileifr. Maybe he'd be worthy of someone like Janna.

But for now, all that mattered was that she was okay. Painfully, he crawled out of the wrecked capsule, onto a soft terrain. His senses were numbed- and the space around him seemed to keep rotating. A ringing sounded through his ear. The ground felt like it was shaking underneath him.

Elof took a step forward, ignoring the pain in his leg. The ringing grew louder still- no, it was a sobbing. Having never seen Janna outside of his suit, he had no idea how large she'd be- but she had to be somewhere around here. He followed the noise, but it seemed to come from everywhere.

As the pain resided, he rested his hands on the soft surface below. For the first time, he noticed how sweet it smelt. And the shaking- it wasn't his senses playing a trick on him. A sense of relief washed over his body.

He'd finally felt Janna with his own hands.

***

The woman kept her arms wrapped around Eileifr, shaking it. Between quiet sobs, and hushed screams at the world, the giantess felt something on her breast.

She glimpsed down. A young man, covered in blood. Handsome facial features clenched together in pain. Her tears stopped flowing for just a moment. Her burnt hands let go of the machine, reaching out for him. As his eyes opened to a squint, he climbed onto it. At first, he clenched to her finger for dear life- but soon, he seemed more like he was gently hugging it.

In a soft wimper, she asked: "Elof?"

The man's eyes turned to hers. "No. A- a- just a human. Another civilian casualty. Aargh... D-don't mind me. Don't cry."

The pained smile on his face told everything.

"Elof, we-" She gulped, holding back a tear. Strong. If she showed her sadness any more, it would crush her hero. She had to be brave. "We have to get you to a hospital. You're- you're hurt!"

She gently stroked his hair- it felt soft to the touch. He reached up weakly to try to grab it.

"Y-your hands are what we should w-worry about. They're- burnt." He ran a finger through a fold in her palm.

"I'm... fine." Her tone was hesitant- but it came out like a cool breeze.

Elof's head lifted. Her eyes were right in front of him- more beautiful than ever when viewed this close. So gigantic, so deep- he could just fall into them, and he'd be happy. Yet, the tears staining them- Elof could tell he'd just ruined the world for her.

"J-Janna..." His voice trailed off. "D-do you like Earth?"

Managing a smile, the giantess nodded her head. "It's- wonderful. So many lights. Lots of nice things."

With a long breath, Elof let his body collapse into the woman's hand. "That's- all I needed to hear." He nuzzled his cheek against her, his senses getting further and further away from him- he could swear that this woman was the entire world. "It's- it's so soft. I always wondered what you felt like- I'm- I'm glad I could find out before- before-"

"No. Stop it. You won't die. I won't let you." Janna's head came closer to him, filling his skies with beauty.

"I'm- I'm sorry. I deserve it- I deserve it for lying to you."

Janna's eyes filled with regret for a moment.

"No- I'm sorry. I should never have- I shouldn't have loved you. I must've seemed like a horrible monster, not even seeing past your armor- after all, a human like you would want a meeker, gentler woman. Not someone like me..."

In a burst of energy, Elof stood up. Tilting his head towards Janna, he shook it quietly. "I... No. Stop it. I- I love- I... I..."

Her lips parted, as they met his head. He felt his spirit engulfed by her, and the beating of her heart echoed through his ears. With a smile, he fell back into her hand.

 

***

 

"...weeks since the accident that took Eileifr's life. Our planet's collective period of mourning continues - here we see makeshift memorials honoring the warrior."

The screen flickered dully, voice coming out of the speakers. Janna put a bandaged hand to her chest, biting her lip. She felt her heart moving at lightning pace.

"A few brave locals have taken to emulating the hero, keeping his memory alive through simple acts of kindness."

She curled her blankets around her massive, shaking body, running a hand over it. Strange, alien emotions filled her. The pictures flashing across the monitor seemed as if they came from another world. She had trouble registering them.

"Images show the man was burnt by the meteor. There have still been no signs of the body. Earth authorities report-"

A tear rolled down the woman's cheek. Again, she breathed slowly- in and out. Compared to the vast, small Earth, her room felt closed and comfortable- but with much more room to move around. Something about the air around calmed her- but excited her, too. Janna's brain moved in every direction.

"We can only hope that-"

The throbbing in her heart and her moans drowned out the noise coming from the speakers. She turned it off, before letting the sheets engulf her.

"Ahh- Elof... I love you... I love you so much..."

Her naked body felt ready to explode. Janna never knew humans could make anyone feel like this. To touch her in the most sensitive spots, make her forget about the rest of the world...

"Elof... Hah..."

His hands ran across the rose walls. The rumbles and moans felt familiar and welcoming. His entire world- this woman was like his entire world. Her body was a massive landscape, full of secrets, waiting to be explored - and her embrace was softer and more careful than anything on Earth. Despite bits of lingering pain, he pressed forward, letting him lose himself in the sensation...

"Ahh... Y-you can't stay like this forever... Eileifr will come back in triumph, some day- Aaah~!" Her huge, nimble fingers stroked Elof's body with love, pushing him against the warm, fleshy surface. "In- in-fact, I have friends who j-just LOVE humans...!"

"Sometime... But- but the world's not ready yet. You can keep a little secret for a while longer, right?"

Chapter End Notes:

Lookie-lookie! I saw people talking about a Macross picture online, combined the first and second shorts from this story, added some of my own insecurities in, and learned how to use the Random Scandinavian Name Generator in a botched attempt to hearken to Norse myths!

 

I liked writing this.