- Text Size +

The Bentley rolls down the blacktop of the driveway, stopping in front of two black, cast iron gates.  Julia hits a button on the dashboard of the car, and the gates swing outwards with a slight creaking sound.  Holly reaches over and turns the radio on, blasting some random pop song as Julia pulls out onto the street, driving past another mansion on the opposite side of the private, secluded street before slapping the radio off with her free hand.

“Hey! I was listening to that!” Holly protests

“Yes, you were.”  Julia qips as she turns left onto another, larger road and speeds off.

“So, I am thinking your first car should be around the area of thirty-five thousand.” Julia states calmly.

“Thirty five thousand?!” Holly spouts angrily.  “What am I supposed to get with thirty five thousand?” She continues, crossing her arms in her seat.

“Thirty five thousand dollars is more than some people make in a year dear.” Julia sighs as she turns the car onto a highway.  Julia presses her heel into the gas pedal, bringing the car up to highway speeds before merging with the light traffic.

“Most people are NOT me!” Holly rants

“This is true my princess, most people work for what they have, they earn it. Oh, where did we go wrong?” Julia asks herself as she glares at her daughter, who has her arms crossed still as she stares angrily outwards towards the windshield.

“I have a better idea...” Julia says, narrowing her eyes and taking a good look around at the sparsely populated highway.  Julia slows the car a good amount, and then cuts the wheel sharply causing the car to slowly spin towards the opposite side of the road.  When the car is facing the opposite direction, she slams on the gas.  Holly shrieks as the back tires spin out, a small plume of smoke and a large screeching sound can be heard before the car takes off, going down the opposite direction of the highway.  

“Are you crazy?!” Holly screams, her voice cracking, her arms visibly shaking.

“I’m rich, so I can do what I want, right?” Julia asks as the car speeds down the road.

“The dealership is the other way mother.” Holly states, her voice still shaken. Julia ignores her daughter as she reaches into her pants pocket, producing a small touch screen phone.  She presses the button on the bottom, causing the phone to beep.

“Call Bruce.” Julia says into the phone.

”Why are you calling him?” Holly asks, glaring at her mother nervously.

“Calling Bruce.” The phone responds in a feminine voice before Julia puts it to her ear.

“Mother, where are we going?” Holly asks as Julia puts the phone on speaker, the ring of Bruce’s phone can be heard against the backdrop of the car speeding down the highway.

“Mrs. Bryant?” Bruce’s voice comes through the phone.

“Bruce, did my lovely daughter come in to talk to you after breakfast?” Julia says into the phone with slight annoyance in her voice. There is a long silence as Holly glares at the phone nervously, sweat beginning to form on her forehead, her palms, and the soles of her feet.

“No Ma’am.” Bruce says flatly into the phone.  Julia shoots her daughter the nastiest look she can muster before looking back to the road.  

“Take the rest of the day off Bruce, on me.” Julia says into the phone, calmer and more collected, a small grin playing across her lips.

“Thank you Ma’am, anything else I can do before I head out?” Bruce asks.

“No Bruce, that is alright...Thank you.” Julia says before hanging up the phone and tossing it onto the center armrest, in a rather angry fashion.

“You lied to me...” Julia says, her tone low and brooding.

“I...” Holly begins, at a loss for how to proceed, her face red as she looks away, glaring out of her window.

“You what? Do you really think you are above anybody Holly?” Julia snaps. “Bruce drives a BMW, what do YOU drive?” Julia asks angrily as trees slowly start to line both sides of the highway, growing denser and denser.  “Bruce spent four years in culinary school, working twelve hour shifts in restaurants, and paying his own way through life.  What have you done besides lay by the god damned pool?!” Julia fumes as they continue on their path.

Holly sniffles and wipes tears from her eyes, but otherwise remains silent as they travel on.  Seconds of silence turn into minutes, and the minutes slowly turn into an hour before Holly speaks.

“Where are we going?” Holly asks nervously, as she leans her head against the passenger side window.  Julia stops the car by the side of the road and glares at her daughter.

“We’re here.” Julia says calmly.

“We’re in the middle of nowhere...” Holly states hesitantly.

Julia picks up her phone, and looks down at it for a second.  “Hmm, no service, can I see your phone sweetie?” Julia asks innocently.  Holly reaches into her jeans pocket and pulls her Iphone out, looking at it and it’s full service.  “Sure...” She says before handing it over.  “Thanks.” Julia smiles.

Julia puts her hand on the door handle and slowly opens it.  Holly looks over to her mother, confused.  “I don’t unders-” Holly begins.

“Just get out of the car dear.” Julia commands.  Holly obeys, unfastening her seat belt while her mother leans against the half open door.  Holly opens her door and steps outside and closes it rather violently. To Holly’s confusion she can hear the sound of the power locks clicking.  She looks over the roof of the car, towards the driver’s side, her mother’s door still sitting half open, and her mother still inside.

“I’m sorry dear, but mommy has to run, I’ll see you back at the house, OK?” Julia says sweetly.

“Mother? What?” Holly asks, as she begins to walk to the other side of the car, only to have the driver side door slam shut.  The sound of the window rolling down can be hard against the idling of the engine.  “I love you princess.” Julia says before rolling up the window.

“Mother! Do not leave me out here!” Holly screams, running towards the back passenger door and jiggling the locked handle.  “Mother!” Holly cries out, a bit of desperation in her voice.

The car pulls away from her, leaving her standing there.  “Mother!” Holly desperately shouts as loudly as she can.  The car simply speeds off, abandoning her in the middle of a trafficless highway.  Holly reaches immediately towards her pocket where she usually keeps her phone, but feels nothing there.  She growls in frustration as she realizes just how screwed she actually is.  

“Fine, she wants me to walk home, I’ll walk home!” Holly huffs angrily as she turns on her heels and begins walking down the side of the highway.  A car passes her here and there, and after five minutes her legs are burning and she is panting, the hot, humid east coast summer causing her clothes to stick to her body.  

“Ew...” Holly whines as she tries to pull her shirt from her sweaty back.

“Nnngh!” She moans miserably, about half a mile later as she passes a large, waist high rock on the side of the road.  She shambles towards it, leaning her back against it and panting as she wipes her forehead with her hands.  A beat up, green, late model station wagon pulls up, it’s brakes squeaking as it comes to a stop right in front of Holly.   Holly can see a woman inside, around twenty five, maybe twenty six years of age.  The woman has red hair, which hangs down to her shoulders, and freckles on her face.  She is dressed in a white tank-top and some denim shorts.  The driver side door opens and the woman leans against the roof of the station wagon, twisting her head innocently as she studies Holly.

“Now, what’s a pretty little thing like you doing walking down the highway?” The woman inquires in a slight southern accent, her piercing blue eyes looking Holly up and down.  Holly looks at the woman, her head dropping a little bit as she sneers condescendingly.  

“Don’t worry about it.” Holly responds, disdain permeating her tone.  Holly stands up and begins walking down the highway again.

“Hey, you need a lift? It’s hotter than hell out here!” The woman exclaims.  “Hey, where ya goin?” The woman asks as Holly hears her flip flops scraping against the road.  Holly turns around, looking the woman up and down, from her five dollar pair of white foam sandals, to her twenty five dollar outfit.  

“I said... Don’t worry about it!” Holly snaps angrily.

“There is no need to get nasty sweetie, I’m only trying to help you!” The woman says, her tone remaining friendly.

“I don’t want your help!” Holly snaps.

“Fine, at least take a bottle of water, I have an extra in the car.” The woman insists.

“No!” Holly yells.

“Listen, I am not leaving you alone until you take a bottle of water, it’s hot out here...” The woman insists.

“Fine.” Holly sighs as the woman walks back to the car, leans into the driver’s seat and grabs a bottle of water.  She walks back to Holly and shoves the cold water bottle into her sweaty hand.

“Drink.” The woman demands.

“What? I will when I am ready, be on your way, shoo.” Holly motions the woman back towards her car with her fingers.

“Nope, not until you drink it.” The woman demands with a stone cold expression.

“Fine... here...” Holly says agitatedly as twists the cap off, breaking its seal.  She takes a big gulp of the water before bringing her hand with the bottle down to her hip.  

“Happy?” She snaps.

“Yes, yes I am.” The woman smiles as Holly’s stomach lurches and the world starts to balloon out all around her, spinning and growing taller and more massive before her eyes.  Her clothing begins to sag as she looks down at her body, patting herself down frantically before looking back up at the ginger before her, who now stands at least ten feet tall.

“What’s happening to me?!” Holly cries out in sheer shock, her voice pathetically high pitched. Holly drops the now heavy water bottle to the ground, it’s contents glugging outwards onto the grass.

“Such a sweet little thing, don’t worry, I gotcha now!” The woman’s southern accent booms in Holly’s ears as she finds herself struggling beneath a heavy pile of her own clothing.  Before Holly knows what is happening three huge, warm fingers are wrapping around her naked body, and her stomach is lurching as she is lifted hundreds of feet into the air.  Holly shrieks continuously as the woman’s eyes and nose fill her vision. 

“And I am going to do very horrible things to you.” The giant woman giggles as she walks back to her car.