- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks for reading, make sure to check out the epilouge for the ending!

 

Holly has no idea how long she has been confined in her chocolaty prison.  The tiny girl drifts in and out on consciousness, sure that hyperthermia will take her the next time she falls unconscious.  After what seems like an eternity the jars clang outside of the cake box, and she finds her world lurching once more before coming to a halt.  Holly can feel warmth all around her, and her retinas burn as the top of the box is peeled away.  Holly’s eyes adjust to a looming Susan, who is dressed in what looks like a grey T Shirt, a huge birthday candle in her hand, which she places into the cake, directly in front of Holly.  

“Hold that Holly, will you?” Susan chuckles.  Holly’s heart slams in her chest, and she moves her lips, but no words come forth as Susan places candle after candle within the cake, eighteen in all.  

“P..Please Susan I’m s..sorry.” Holly shivers.

“Shh shh shh, I know Holly, though you have nothing to be sorry about, you did wonderfully.” Susan smiles.

“I...what?” The tiny girl stammers as Susan produces a lighter from her pocket, and begins to light the candles.  Holly can notice that the kitchen is well lit from within her box.

“I’m going to miss you Holly.” Susan says as she digs her hands into the box, and under the cake, lifting it in the air and turning it towards the table.

“Aww…” A familiar voice booms and Holly has to do a double take as she is set on the table. Holly cranes her neck skyward, her eyes wide as she looks on at the gigantic form of her mother, her father, and Nancy, all staring down at her, and all dressed casually.  

“Mother! HELP ME!” Holly shrieks.

“I have princess...I have…” Julia coos gently.

“Hi Holly.” Nancy smiles and waves her giant hand down at the cake.  

“Nancy?!” Holly stammers in disbelief.  

“Susan dear...I think it’s time.” Julia says.  

“I think so Mrs. Bryant.” Susan says, pinching Holly out of the cake and carrying her chocolate smeared body from the room. Susan carries Holly into a bathroom and runs her under some warm water, smearing the chocolate away with her giant fingers.

“So...It...was…” Holly stammers as she is pulled from the faucet.

“Yes…” Susan says, smiling.  “My name is Susan Greene, I’m a behavioral therapist.” Susan says as she places Holly down on the countertop.  “I mostly deal with the very rich… Hollywood, politicians...you.” Susan smiles.

“But...Nancy...she…” Holly stammers.

“Food coloring and water my little songbird.” Susan admits.

“My hand?” Holly holds up her throbbing, mangled hand.  

“Will heal, but when it rains, you’ll probably think of me.” Susan says before gently drying Holly off with a small washcloth.  “I have a doctor downstairs that will set your bones and cast your hand.” Susan says as she gently lowers her palm to the vanity, upturned. “Get on.” Susan says. Holly climbs onto Susan hand and is lifted into the air before her face.  “You have to be one of the cutest I’ve dealt with.” Susan admits as she walks back into the office, setting Holly on the floor.  She returns moments later with a cap full of clear liquid, which she places next to Holly.  “Drink…” She commands as she wiggles her toes a little bit.  Holly hesitantly puts her face into the cap, and takes a big swig of the liquid, which tastes just like water.

After a few seconds Holly’s body burns furiously and everything around her begins to become smaller and smaller, until she is about as tall as Susan.  “How do you feel my little songbird?” Susan asks, patting Holly on the shoulder.  Holly narrows her eyes and balls her good hand into a fist, striking Susan in the face.  Susan’s head turns with the blow and she holds her hand up to her cheek with a smile.  

“It’s OK to be a little bit angry Holly, but remember, this was all for your own good…” Susan says calmly.  Holly pants for a few moments as she weighs how she feels about the entire thing, feeling torn about it indeed.  Susan walks over to a chair, and picks up a few articles of folded clothing, and reaches underneath, grabbing a pair of sneakers, the same sneakers Holly wore the day Susan kidnapped her on the side of the road.  

“Three thousand dollar jeans…” Susan shakes her head as she hands the stack of folded clothes to Holly.

“They’re…” Holly begins, the anger within her fading a little bit as she tries to stifle a laugh.  She places the clothes on the floor and holds up the ripped jeans.  “Pretty fucking stupid actually.” Holly admits.  

“How do you feel?” Susan asks again as Holly slips into a pair of panties, and then the jeans, followed by her t shirts, socks, and shoes.  

“Big, yet somehow still small.” Holly admits as she looks over towards where the birdcage was supposed to be, instead spotting an empty stand.  

“Good, that means I’ve done my job.” Susan says as she pats Holly on the shoulder, guiding her towards the door and down the stairs.  Holly sits on a couch in a living room as a doctor begins to set her broken bones.  The girl screams for brief moments as the intense pain flows through her hand, which is finally wrapped in a thick cast.  Susan then leads Holly into the kitchen, where everyone else is eating cake, a plate is set aside for her, and she sits down. Holly’s father stands up, bending down he kisses his daughter on the forehead.  

“I have to run, but me and you and your mother, we’re going to have dinner tomorrow night.” The man says, before standing up to his full height.  “I love you princess.” He adds.  

“I love you too dad.” Holly says solemnly as her father leaves the room.

“How are you feeling dear?” Julia asks.  

“Why mother? Don’t you think this was a bit...extreme?” Holly asks, her hurt feelings apparent in her tone.

“It was this, or you were going to get cut off completely dear… Me and your father figured this would be the least painful option.” Julia admits as she spears a forkful of cake.  

“You came around faster than we thought you were going to, this could have taken months.” Susan interrupts.

“Came around to what? I still don’t understand.” Holly asks confusedly.

“This experience is tailored to bring out all of the best qualities in a person.  You’ve shown compassion, courage, humility, and most importantly of all, empathy, that and any job you’d work now will seem easy after doing my nails, which came out lovely by the way!” Susan grins.  

“She did that?” Julia asks

“Oh yeah, it took her hours, I was bored to death.” Susan chuckles.

“What were you doing on the computer the whole time?” Holly asks.

“Well, I was faking spreadsheets, but when you weren’t looking I was surfing the net and playing solitaire.” Susan admits.

“Sneaky…” Nancy chimes in.

“I feel like I am looking at a ghost…” Holly says as she turns to Nancy.  The girl grins and looks away shyly.  

“Oh before I forget, I have a parting gift for my little songbird.” Susan smiles as she reaches under the table, lifting a dome shaped object wrapped in gift paper.  Holly cannot help but smile as it is pushed towards her, she did not even have to open it to know what it is, but she finds her hands ripping the paper away.  Holly giggles as the small birdcage emerges from the wrapping paper.  

“It was so big…” Holly stammers.  “And now…” The girl begins.

“And now it is quite small.” Susan grins as Holly runs her fingers along the bars, transfixed by the object. “

“So...What is on the agenda for Holly Bryant, now that she has a new lease on life?” Susan asks.

“I guess I have to do something besides snob it up by the pool all day, right?” Holly asks, feeling a bit silly as she turns her attention away from her former prison.

“Yes dear, unless you’d like to spend some more time in there.” Julia smiles curtly.

“No… Actually.” Holly shudders.

“I can always give you the number to the acting school I attended.” Nancy offers.

“No… I know what I want to do.” Holly responds.

“What’s that dear?” Julia asks, cocking her head.

“I’m going to go to culinary school.” Holly smiles.