- Text Size +
"i hope he's alright," jade said to herself. she was chopping up logs to feed the fire that she had made in the center of the cave she was currently living in.
'thank you dad.' jade thought to herself, her dad had taught her how to make a fire and what plants did what.
she had relocated his leg and applied an ointment that dulled the pain, she heard a groan from the tiny man. she dropped the hatchet and turned all of her attention to the tiny guy
"are you okay little man?" jade asked.
"yeah, sure. so what are you going to do with me?"
"i was thinking maybe you could be my friend or, my... pet. or i could just let you go."
"why would you wait till now to get a pet?" the hunter asked
jade told him her story.
"well," the hunter said, "i don't have a home either, so it seems fitting that two rejects should live together. alright, but i'm not your 'pet'. i'm your partner."
"okie-dokie," jade replied, "so whats your name?"
"my name is diabolus, it's latin for demon. but most people just call me demon."
"it's nice to meet you demon." jade smiled "my name's jade"
"okay" demon looked around, "we should get to work on making this place comfortable, until we find a water source."
"there's a small freshwater spring in the back of the cave"
demon looked at the back and saw that, indeed, there was a pond at the back of the cave. "well then" he said, "we need to make-" he then noticed the fire and corrected himself, "some beds" he looked around for suitable materials, he then noticed the large pile of hanging moss, also known as oldmans beard, that he was sitting on.
"where did you get this?" demon asked, patting his bed.
"there's a ton of it a little ways of, why?"
"enough to make a bed?"
***
"i still don't understand why i can't just sleep on some leafs." jade asked.
"because it would be uncomfortable on a solid stone floor." demon replied from his perch on her shoulder, for the hundredth time.
"but-"
"shhhh!" demon spoted a flash of brown "put me down" he whispered, drawing his bow.
"wh-"
"stop asking questions and do it"
jade gently set the tiny on the ground and watched as he silently scurried away.
demon chased after the rabbit without a sound until he spoted it. a fat female rabbit, he drew his bow and fired. it went straight through the eye.
"bull's-eye." he said.
"a bunny!" jade shouted.
"no, dinner!" demon corrected. "and maybe a blanket for me" he added.
"you killed it!" she gasped.
"i know," demon smiled, "pretty amazing huh." and it was, considering everything was built to jade's scale.
"no, it's awful!"
"we have to eat sweetheart."
***
after constructing a bed and feeding the fire, demon talked jade through skinning a rabbit.
"first you want to make a cut from the chin to the tail." demon said.
"why dont you do this?" jade asked.
"in case i die before you do."
"but you're only, like, twenty"
"and one twelfth your size, now you want to cut the paws off, you wouldn't have a hatchet would you?"
"yeah, i do." jade grabbed the hatchet and started chopping off the rabbits paws.
"keep the feet." demon said
"why?"
"cause i got a feeling we're gonna need all the luck we can get."