- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

I really didn't want to start any new stories while I still had Big Problems Pending going but I've had this idea in my head for a little while now and thinking about it has been keeping me awake at night so I decided I might as well write some of it down. I hope I'll be able to bring it to life in story form as well as I've been able to imagine it in my head but I guess we'll see. 

 

 

 

Vivian sits perched atop a stool as her slender fingers rapidly strike the keyboard, punching numbers into existence on the computer screen before her. The windowless walls of the room as well as nearly every piece of equipment housed within them are white. The young Asian American woman continues entering strings of seemingly random numbers into the computer at her desk. Her silky black hair reaches down to her shoulders where it makes contact with the fancy white lab coat which she is required to wear while she works.

 

Beyond her computer, the automatic doors hiss open and five men enter the lab. They're dressed in modern military armor, helmets sitting on the top of each of their heads. “Good. You're here” says Vivian as she stands from her desk and meets the men at the front of the room.

 

Griffin steps forward, standing a full two feet taller than the dainty figure of Vivian. Leader of the small mercenary group, the other four men are under his command. His face features grizzled stubble and a long scar stretching across his left cheek. He speaks with an Australian accent. “Alright, good to see ya again, Viv. What's the job this time, love?”

 

Vivian had met with Griffin a few times in the past. Although she knew he could be a little rough and even reckless at times, each time she'd sent him and his team off on a mission, they always returned successful. This mission was going to be much different than anything she'd sent the team on before, but she trusted that if anyone could get the job done, it was Griffin and his men.

 

“Well let's hear it, love. Who are we killin' today?”

 

Vivian approaches a control panel on one side of the room and a large monitor flashes on before displaying an image. The men gather near the monitor and watch as the image comes into focus, revealing a picture of a beautiful green eyed young woman with long dark brown hair.

 

“This is your target” says Vivian as she extends her right arm and points to the monitor where the picture is still being displayed.

 

Griffin laughs loudly. “A girl? You hire five highly trained killers to take out one little lady?” He laughs again and this time is joined in laughter by the rest of his team. Vivian stands still with her arms crossed, rolling her eyes as she waits for the laughter to stop.

 

“Wait, you're serious then?” asks Griffin.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well alright, what's her story?”

 

“I'll tell you what I can. Her name...” begins Vivian, pointing again at the picture on the monitor. “Her name is Rachel. Her father is extremely wealthy, the CEO of a very powerful company, and he is dying. BUT... Rachel does not know who her father is. It has been revealed to our client that Rachel's father has developed something of a conscience on his deathbed and is writing his unaware daughter into his will. So as you can imagine, she stands to inherit quite the fortune when he passes, which should be sooner rather than later. So, here's where you gentlemen come in. Our client is paying us a handsome price to quietly take Rachel out of the picture, causing her father to revise his will and allocate whatever she would have received from him into something else. That's all I'm authorized to tell you.”

 

“Okay Viv... but that doesn't explain anything else. We saw her picture. She's still a harmless little young woman. Why do you need my men and I for this job? And what are we gonna be usin' to take her out?”

 

“Well... where to begin? Hmmm... What do you boys know about shrinking?” Griffin raises an eyebrow and itches at his stubble as he looks back at Vivian. “Don't look at me like that, Griff. You've been around and on enough missions for us to hear a few things. I bet you know a little more about what goes on in this lab then what we've told you.”

 

“I mighta heard somethin'... why? What's shrinkin' got to do with this mission?” A smile creeps its way across Vivian's face. “Ah, shit! I knew there'd be a catch! It's never that easy! So let me guess... you wanna shrink me and my men down and send us in to take out the girl...”

 

“Very good, Griff. Think you can handle it?”

 

Though the idea of the task at hand now seems daunting, Griffin would never admit that he felt as though something could be challenging for him. “Yes, of course, love. But if my men and I are gonna be shrunken, what are we gonna use to take out the target? What kinda guns do you guys have that a shrunken person can kill someone normal sized with?”

 

Vivian laughs. “No, you're not bringing any firearms on this mission. There are none that would work like that, and even if there were, we need this to be untraceable.” Vivian walks over to a table and returns to the men holding a bottle of pills in her hand. “This is your weapon. This drug will kill her. Even after this bottle shrinks down with you, there's enough here to amount to a lethal dose for a normal sized person. Best of all, it'll be undetectable in her system. Nothing to lead anyone anywhere.”

 

“So how do we get her to take this shit?”

 

“That's the mission. You boys get into a shuttle, I shrink you down, then we find a way to get you into Rachel's apartment. Once inside, you wait. Wait for her to fall asleep, that's when it will be safest for you. Then you find a way to drop the pills into her mouth and fly the shuttle away from her, parking it somewhere hidden. She'll die in her sleep, and we'll give the authorities an anonymous tip to go check on her. After they remove the body, we'll send someone in to extract you and grow you back to full size before you get paid. Sound good.”

 

Sound good? Sounds like an extreme undertaking to Griffin and his team. “Ya, sounds like a plan, Viv.”

 

“Ready to start then? Follow me.” She leads the group out of her lab back through the automatic doors they had entered through and takes them down a hall and into another much larger room. In the center of the room sits a large black transport shuttle on an even bigger round platform. A device on the ceiling hangs down, aimed towards the aircraft. “Your pilot's flown one of these before, I'm sure.”

 

“This thing gonna give you any trouble, Dalton?” Griffin asks, gesturing to his pilot.

 

“No, sir.”

 

“That's what I like to hear. Get yourself situated in the pilot's seat, everyone else climb aboard as well. Let's roll out, men.”

 

Vivian tosses the bottle of pills from the previous room to Griffin whom catches them in his right hand. “Hold on to those, keep them close. And you'd better give her the whole bottle, just to be safe.” Griffin tucks the bottle into one of his pockets before turning to board the aircraft with the rest of his men. He climbs aboard and closes the door at the rear of the shuttle.

 

“Ready to get small, boys?” says Vivian as she walks towards a computer on the right side of the room. She hits a few keys on the keyboard and the device on the ceiling aimed at the shuttle begins to glow, powering up. “Here we go!” She presses down on the enter key with her index finger and the device fires. In the blink of an eye, the large shuttle and the platform on which it stood vanishes, but Vivian knows it's still there.

 

Griffin and his men gaze out the windshield after the bright flash of light. They don't know exactly how small they are, but everything around them appears absolutely massive. Table legs extend into the heavens and the walls seem unfathomably far away. Suddenly the ground begins to shake. The front of the shuttle faces the opposite side of the room, leaving the men unable to see Vivian as she makes her approach.

 

After powering the device back down, Vivian walks to the center of the room and spots the tiny shuttle. Kneeling down, she grips the platform it sits on between her comparatively massive index finger and thumb and lifts it into the air as she stands back up rather than simply plucking the shuttle from the ground and risking crushing the fragile thing in her delicate grip. She walks very carefully with the shuttle on top of the platform in her grasp as she carries it to a lab table and deposits it on the surface, turning the platform so the cockpit of the aircraft faces her.

 

The men inside the shuttle are rocked back and forth as Vivian carries them. They can't see her or even the fingers she's using to hold them with from their limited view out the windshield but they know it's still her. They breath a collective sigh of relief as the platform is placed onto some flat surface below but are quickly shaken again the entire platform is rotated, coming to a stop with an enormous chest covered in a white lab coat in view.

 

Vivian kneels down and brings her face to the table where her big brown eyes gaze down onto the shuttle. She squints, trying with great effort to see into the cockpit and make out the faces of the men behind the windshield but they are simply too small for her to see them in any detail.

 

Griffin's men look on in awe with their jaws dropped as the face of what was a very cute, very short girl just moments ago now looms above them on a colossal scale and descends from the heavens, offering them a smile. Griffin himself just stares ahead, somehow staying completely calm. Even at the size of an insect, he still feels in control of the situation. 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

 

I hope some peope were able to find it enjoyable so far. Leave me a review and let me know what you think!