- Text Size +

“Poor little thing.” April whispers as she shuts the door behind her, turns towards Robert and smiles.  

“She seems to really like you.” Robert says as April leads him to another bedroom down at the end of the hallway.  

“She’s been with me for the past year now, she had no one else to turn to, she’s an absolute doll.” April says happily as she turns the doorknob in front of her, opening up the door and revealing what looks like a standard guest room.  A twin bed sits under a window, the same blue curtains fluttering in the warm summer breeze, the smell of salt water permeating every inch of the room.  There is a small night table, a dresser, a desk, and a small closet off to the side.

“It’s not much...” April says as they both walk into the room.

“It’s more than enough.” Robert smiles as he walks to the bed and sits down on it.

“I know the bed is a little small, but...” April begins.

“But it’ll grow on me...” Robert finishes her sentence, smiling.

“Yes!” April giggles, gently placing a dainty hand on Robert’s shoulder.

“Just like me...” She adds as she slides the hand off quickly.

Robert looks down at the the hand, and then up towards April’s face.  

“So about the money..” Robert says, shifting uncomfortably.

“Oh that? Well, we can worry about that tomorrow, you must be exhausted.

Robert quickly raises his hand to his head, a sharp and sudden migraine rocking him.  “Ahhh...” He seethes as he slumps over.   

“Easy easy easy!” April coos as she sits down on the bed next to him, rubbing her hand up and down his back.  

“Oh god!” Robert says, rather loudly as he leans forward, both of his hands rubbing his temples.

“Here, lay down.” April says gently standing up and gently lowering Robert’s head towards the pillow.  One of Robert’s hands shoots towards his stomach and he turns his head to the side, beads of sweat beginning to form on his brow.

“It’s...hap...happening agaaain!” Robert moans through gritted teeth, in agony, writhing slightly on the bed.

“I know, shh, shh, shh, I know Robbie...” April coos, springing into action immediately.

“I’ll be right back, I’m going to get a cloth for your head.” The small girl states calmly, but as she moves away Robert’s hand grasps her wrist quickly.

“No don’t leave me!” Robert pleads desperately.

“It’s ok, It’s ok... April’s going to take good care of you, she’s going to be your friend... shhh...” April says quietly as she easily peels Robert’s fingers from her wrist.  She moves over the bed, and runs her fingers gently down the side of Robert’s face, in a comforting motion.  

“What’s your last name?” April asks.

“La..Ladner.” Robert answers, as he convulses on the bed a bit, his voice filled with pain.

“Little Robbie Ladner... I like that.” April Coos.  “I’m going to be your big buddy Robbie Ladner, I’m going to cuddle you, and love you, and we’re going to play games together...” April says calmly, smiling as her fingers run through his hair.

“G..g? ahhh! ugghnn!” Robert convulses a bit more violently, his body contracting onto itself, dwindling before April’s eyes.

“Little teeny tiny Robbie Ladner.” April giggles, smiling a bit.  

Robert could not believe his eyes, everything seemed to spin around him, expanding and growing taller, wider, and much more intimidating by the second.  The twin size bed suddenly becoming a full, and April’s body looming over him, much larger than his own.

“Wow..haha” April laughs, nonchalantly.   “You are probably the worst case to come through here, ever...” April says coolly, her hand still running down his cheek.  April walks off, and a few moments later Robert feels a cool pressure against his burning head and face, April’s now large hand wiping it down with a moist, green cloth.  The pain begins to subside, and Robert feels an intense fatigue flood his muscles, causing them to go slack.

“You got here just in time little boy, you are a very sick little thing, yes you are...” April coos as she presses the cloth against his forehead, and rips the covers out from underneath him, tucking him tightly into the bed, his tiny feet now only reaching halfway down the length of the mattress.

“April.” Robert calls out, panting, his head still spinning from the intense episode.

“Yes little Robbie?” April coos down, her voice playful, yet stern and commanding.

“How small...how much?” Robert pants.

“A lot, if you keep it up, you’ll be bunking with Sammy soon.” April answers, sitting down on the edge of the bed and placing a huge hand on Robert’s torso, covering most of it.

“Oh my god...” Robert jumps as he see’s the size of the once dainty hand.

“Shhh, it’s ok sweetie.” April coos once again as she pushes the now child sized man onto his back, gently.

“Just rest, close those little eyes and let April worry about everything, that’s right, shh shh.” April says softly as she hums to herself a bit, stroking her hand up and down Robert’s chest.

“Am I really going to get as small as Samantha?” Robert says, his voice calming a bit, but still quivering as his head sinks into the pillow.

“I am afraid so little Robbie Ladner, I’ve never seen two episodes in one day, there is no telling how fast this is going to happen.” April says, sympathy in her voice.

“I don’t want to be tiny...” Robert says, his voice deflated.  The small man closes his eyes and takes deep breaths, attempting to calm himself as April hums above him.

“You’re going to be ok, I am here for you, and when I can’t take care of you anymore, you can join the rest, and you can all talk about how much you miss me.” April says gently.

“This place...” Robert begins.  “What’s it like?” He asks, turning to his side to face April.

“It’s wonderful, it’s warm, and cozy, and no one shrinks anymore once they are there,and there are so many people, you will never be lonely.” April smiles warmly.  

“It’s sounds...pretty good.” Robert admits, beginning to drift off into a light sleep.

“It is paradise on Earth.” April says, taking the edge of her index and pointer fingers and running it along Robert’s cheek once more, she does this for the next five minutes, until she is certain he is asleep.

April giggles silently to herself, bending down and kissing Robert on the cheek before gently rising and slowly walking towards the door. She opens the door and flicks the light switch on the wall, killing the single lamp. she stands in the doorway for an immeasurable amount of time, simply staring at the tiny man in the bed, her mouth half agape, her eyes glazed over in ecstasy.

“Paradise on Earth little Robbie Ladner.” April says, as she gently closes the door.