- Text Size +
* * * * *

RAY VENN'S P.O.V.

"Are you decent, yet?" my hostess called out.

I swung open her bathroom door really fast.

"No! But, I'm fully clothed!"

She gasped for a second. Then, she frowned and glared at me as I laughed.

"That's not funny!"

"Sorry. But, I just couldn't resist."

To be honest, I wasn't _entirely_ sorry. I had been on the go pretty much since I had escaped from Dah Liah's office desk. And, most of my stay had not been fun, in the slightest!

So, while I gave Dah as capsule a version of my autobiography as I could, from behind her locked bathroom door, I first got dressed. Then, I field stripped "Smitty" (my Smith & Wesson Model 39 in 9mm, in case you've forgotten) in order to inspect it and the two ammo clips I had left. All three of which seemed to be in working order. So, I put it back together, reholstered it beneath my black leather jacket, and went outside to finish explaining my origin. Which, I confess, made me feel like a Silver Age comic book superhero.

In the meantime, while Dah simmered down from the little trick I had played on her, I got a second look at her facial appearance. I had mentioned earlier that she reminded me somewhat of Emma Peel from that old British adventure series "The Avengers." But, to be honest, there was also a little bit of Lynda Carter's post-WWII Wonder Woman, as well!

My pop-culture introspection was interrupted by a sigh from my hostess.

"Humans who can change the size of other humans and/or themselves," she muttered: "If I hadn't seen it twice, I wouldn't have believed it! It's like something out of an old bi-vid show!!"

"Bi-vid?" I echoed.

"Bi-dimensional video," she replied: "We only switched over to tri-vid about..."

She paused to do some half-whispered mental figuring.

"...fifty of your years, ago. About this friend of yours, though. Does she know about...?

I shook my head.

"First off? She's not _my_ friend! She's a friend of the man I was (more or less) hired to find. As I'm the one who inadvertently got her involved with this, however, I feel somewhat responsible for her safety. And, to answer the rest of your question; no. She has no idea that sizechangers et al. even exist! Now, what can you tell _me_ about Lihsah Gruja?"

Dah shrugged: "Not much. Her father is a famous concert singer/composer/musician. Her mother is Ex-wife Number Two. And, every so often, the news media try to make her antics top story of the evening. This month, it was my turn. But, much as I hate to admit it; her lifestyle is as dull as my first ex-boyfriend!"

"Well, do you think you could use your credentials to smuggle me in to see her?" I asked: "Sort of a re-enactment of how I got to your homeworld."

That made my hostess grin.

"I can't wait to see her face when you introduce yourself!"

tbc