- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
ISLAND OF THE GOD-TEACHERS
* * * * *

"Are you switching to omniscient author mode, now?" asked Mr. G.

Racym Iocc shrugged and nodded.

"Why not? Louis L'Amour rightfully did so, whenever he wanted to depict a plot-twisting situation in some of his Western novels. A situation simultaneously occurring elsewhere, from the main action. Yet, one that the 19th century first-person narrator couldn't possibily know about!"

"And, what manner of exposition requires this temporary digression?"

Iocc grinned: "Watch and see."

* * * * *

Artura Lamrev watched the holographic replay from Titan Station, one more time. Then, she played back the holo-feed from the offices of the PLANETARY CHRONICLE. In both instances, the individual was the same.

"Now, show me the feed from the security cameras at the TGU campus library."

The holographic replay showed four upper classmen having their dupahs handed to them by the same mystery man from the other two holo-feeds.

"Any idea what started the altercation?" she asked her raven-haired male assistant.

Barco Lounjah gave a lop-sided smile as he consulted his notes.

"They wanted to upload a snuff-holo on to the Grid! Adopted contraband humans being fed to an Archavian bug-trap belonging to one Zootah Suwet. A botany major trying to get in good with the inner circle of Rho Alpha Tower. That's him! The one with the red hair and chunka spray."

"Heh!" snorted his brunette boss: "His opponent fights well enough to be ImpSec! Although, he'd never make it past the minimum height requirement, of course."

Barco agreed...before half-seriously adding that the Titanic Intelligence Agency might not be so picky.

"Him?!" Lamrev exclaimed: "An undercover man for the TIA?"

"Well, he certainly eluded our people at the university like one. They scanned every inch of that tree. Branch by branch. No sign of any holo-belt residue. Yet, he was nowhere to be seen. And, he didn't make it past any of the guards cordoned around the base!"

Artura sighed: "We'd best arrange for a planet-wide arrest bulletin. Illegal alien; possibly a spy."

She got on the phone and asked to be put through to Imperial Security Headquarters, immediately.

* * * * *

RAY VENN'S P.O.V.

When I first landed among those pom-poms, I was too small to grab on to any of the strands of confetti with any firmness. So, I instantly resumed my normal human-size.

Sure enough; that did the trick. I stopped my descent out the other side of this mesh-like bag. Good thing, too. Because, suddenly, I found myself being subjected to a series of back-and-forth motions! Which obviously meant this cheerleader was on the move, again. I could only hope it wasn't to one of her classes, or cheer practice.

My on-again/off-again luck seemed to be back on, because the next sound I heard was the opening and closing of a door. Followed by this cheerleader calling out for the person I presumed (and prayed) to be her roommate.

"I'm home! Lihsah? Are you here?"

There was no response. But, at least, my prayer had been answered. Paula Drake's "owner" was part of this sorority! My elation changed to startlement, however, as I felt the bag of pom-poms being thrown down on top of what I presumed (and prayed) to be a bed.

The two or three seconds of bouncing I experienced seemed to answer that prayer, too. So, I carefully listened. Waiting to see if my hostess would leave the room for any reason. Giving me an opportunity to slip out and find a better hiding place, nearby.

It would seem that not all prayers are answered in threes.

tbc