- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

My first story of this nature. Hopefully someone out there will enjoy it. The first couple chapters will be primarily introductory, there are a few characters to meet before things get rolling. Thanks to anyone that reads this.

 

At age 31, Michael Parker is presently in no situation to complain about his life. His research at the lab is earning him enough money to live quite comfortably, and he and his 29 year old wife Amy were recently able to purchase a beautiful home. Sure, it isn’t the mansion Michael dreams of one day having built to his exact specifications after he starts raking in the millions of dollars he believes the bizarre inventions he forges in his spare time will one day earn him, but for now it’s home, his wife absolutely loves it and her happiness alone is more than enough to suffice to keep him content, at least for the time being.


    It's a beautiful morning in early June. Michael and Amy are seated at the table in their spacious kitchen enjoying their breakfast together. “I know we’ve lived here for nearly two months already, but doesn’t it still feel just incredible being able to eat a meal in a home we can call our own?” Amy asks her husband before taking a sip of her orange juice.


    “It doesn’t matter where I’m eating, as long as it’s with you I’m sure to feel incredible… and it helps when the food is this good” replies Michael. 


Amy sets her glass back down onto the table and smiles at her husband. “Thanks, sweetie, I’m so lucky to have found a man that really appreciates my cooking.”


    “You’re welcome. So, all ready for the big day? I know you’ve been anxious to finally get your friends over here for the housewarming party.”


    “I sure am! And it couldn’t be a better day for it. Not a cloud in sight, yet it’s still not too hot to enjoy the outdoors.”


    “Looks like we’ll be firing up the grill after all.” Michael says as the two of them rise from the table and walk to the sink with their now empty dishes in their hands. Michael begins washing them and one by one he hands each cleaned dish to his wife whom dries them and places them in the dish strainer as they continue to talk.


    “Yeah, I just need to run to the store and pick up a few last minute things, a couple bags of chips, a bottle of ketchup, probably wouldn’t hurt to get another 2 liter of soda as well.”


    “Sounds good, want me to come with you?”


“NO, silly, our guests will be here anytime now! You need to stay and keep them entertained until I get back. But you need to promise me you won’t show off too much of our lovely home to our friends before I get back. You know I want to be the one to brag to them about every detail of this house, you know how long I’ve been waiting for this.”


    Michael chuckles a bit, he’s anticipated this, he’s known his wife would most likely get a little carried away and want to give their friends a “grand tour” of the house. He was just happy he was finally able to get her a home like she’d told him she’s always wanted. “Okay, okay, I promise I’ll let you give the tour of the house. I’ll make sure everyone stays in either the living room or kitchen until you return, unless they want to mingle outside and enjoy today’s pleasant weather.”


    “Thank you, sweetie” Amy says before hanging up the dish towel and leaning in to give her husband a kiss.


    “See you soon, honey” says Michael as his wife heads out the front door and begins the brief walk across the lawn to her car parked in the driveway. He hears the engine start and watches through the window as the car drives off while he removes the dishes from the dish strainer and places them in the appropriate cupboards.


    “Might as well check the mail” Michael says to himself before heading out the same door his wife had just used to make her exit. He closes the door behind him, takes a deep breath, stretches, and enjoys the greeting that the warmth of the sun immediately extends to him. Michael takes a look around his yard as he crosses the lawn on his way to the mailbox. He can see how his wife loves living here. It’s not just a nice home, it’s a nice home with a nice lawn. To his left about halfway to the mailbox is the wooden picnic table, to the right is the grill. He plans to make use of both later in the day.


    Michael reaches the mailbox and extracts today’s delivery. Looks like a newspaper and a couple bills. No surprises, not that he was expecting any. He turns his head and gazes at the only other home in sight. That’s another thing his wife relishes about their home: being able to live in relative seclusion.


    Amanda Knight lives with her daughter Claire directly across the street from Amy and Michael. From what he understands Amanda and her husband’s marriage withered many years ago, and she received the house and a decent chunk of money in the divorce. Michael is not even fully aware of Amanda’s occupation having only spoken with her few enough times to count on one hand, but he knows that she is very often away on business for days and sometimes even weeks at a time. She had embarked on another of these trips only two days earlier.


    Michael can faintly see the television playing through the Knights’ living room window and takes this as a sign that Claire is home and awake. He had been considering inviting her to the party as he knew she would likely be home and possibly bored but decided against doing so as he thought it would probably seem rather peculiar to have his neighbor’s beautiful 19 year old daughter attend he and his wife’s housewarming party.


    As he begins walking across the lawn and back to his house, Michael hears something that gets louder and louder on its approach. Soon the large object moves into his field of view and he recognizes it as his friend Jim’s obnoxiously large blue truck. He watches as the vehicle is maneuvered into the clear area far to the right of the mailbox where Amy and Michael’s guests know to park. He listens as the engine ceases to roar and watches from the lawn as Jim and his girlfriend Brandi emerge from the blue behemoth and begin walking towards him.


    “Hey Jim, how’s it going?” asks Michael.


    "Not bad at all, Man. And this… this is a great place you’ve got here. I’m impressed.”


    “Yeah Mike, it’s so beautiful. How did Amy manage to go this long without showing it off to everyone?” asked Brandi. “I bet it’s been driving her crazy.”


    “Oh, she’s definitely been having a hard time of it. She’s at the store right now picking up a few last minute things for the party. I hope you guys brought you appetites. It’s so nice out that it would be a waste not to use this opportunity to grille up some cheeseburgers and hotdogs.”


    “Sounds great, Mike. You know me,  I’ve never been able to pass up a cookout” says Jim. Brandi nods in agreement.


    Michael smiles and turns his head to gaze upon his home. “Before she left she actually told me not to show off too much of the house before she gets back. She wants the privilege of giving what she calls the “grand tour“ of our new home,” Michael tells to a lightly laughing Brandi. “We can go inside and sit in the kitchen or living while we wait for Amy and everyone else to arrive, or we can just stay out here and take a seat at the picnic table, it’s up to you guys.”


    “It is really nice out, and I’m sure everyone will be here soon, why don’t we just plant ourselves down on the picnic table? Sound good to you Jimmy?” asks Brandi. Jim nods in agreement and the three friends take a seat and converse for a few moments as the vehicles carrying their other friends begin rolling in.