- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hopefully this chapter will be longer with the introduction out I the way and have some actual interaction.
Dan was taken to Rosewaters via a shuttle specifically made to accommodate him. He had been told that when he arrives to take the inner wall catwalk (there were also catwalks in the hallways, but the teachers didn't want him meeting the girls until the time came) until he got to room 113. Dan stepped out of the shuttle, and did a double take when he saw the massive scale of the school compared to him.
Great, red brick walls loomed far above him, so far he could not discern where the top was. To his left, an iron gate made of Ross that were thicker than he was loomed to the sky, with the word Rosewaters printed across the top. Next to the gate Dan notices a door that was roughly his size, and assumed that led to the catwalk. After a deep breath, he picked up his suitcase and walked towards the door.
Dan had expected a plain hallway, something that giant people would have quickly carved out with little regard to its appearance, so he was surprised when he stepped through the door. A well lit hallway extended far ahead of him. Marble tiles covered the floor, reflecting the light all around and increasing the radiance of the room. The walls and ceiling were covered in smooth, light green painted walls, with occasional scale down pictures mounted on the walls.
"Wow," Dan thought."they went to a lot of trouble to accommodate me." Reassured, he began walking, looking for room 113. After 5 minutes, he found it, and pulled out the key thy had given him. He opened the door, an did a double take once more.
The room was massive compared to Dan. Four columns held up the roof off to the sides, and in the center was an extravagant fountain with the carving of a women holding a small man on it. Stairways led up to a hall on the right, which Dan assumed led to the bedrooms and bathroom. To his left lay a marble kitchen, with all the appliances he was used o having before he had shrunk. At the opposite end of the room, Dan saw massive doors, which he assumed led to the balcony in the girls room.
Too nervous to go through those doors, Dan climbed the stairs and went into his bedroom. Compared to the rest of his accommodation, the bedroom was rather plain. Just a bed and a wardrobe. Dan threw down his suitcase and began to unpack. After about twenty minutes, all his clothes and toiletries had been organized. Wondering what to do next, Dans thoughts were interrupted by an announcement over the P.A.
"All students please report to the auditorium for orientation and a special announcement." Dan wondered where the auditorium was, and if that announcement included him, but was again interrupted, this time by a knock on the small door. Dan opened it to see a man his size in a custodial outfit, with short grey hair and a slim build.
"Hello," he said. "My name is Tom, and we've been greatly looking forward to your arrival."
"Oh," Dan said, surprised to see another person his size in the building. "Uhh, th-th-thanks," he said nervously, his shyness rearing its ugly head.
"I am supposed to guide you around the school on your first few days, and make sure everything in your room is to your liking" Tom said, smiling a very sincere and friendly smile.
"That's very kind of you," Dan said. "But I don't want to be a hindrance to you. I can clean up after myself."
"Nonsense. You were the only reason the school hired me. Now come on, lets head off to the orientation and your big appearance." They walked through the hallway through a minute, which was filled with an awkward silence. Finally Dan decided to ask the question that was on his mind.
"Tom," he muttered. "I was told I would be the only guy in this program, that I was par of the test group, yet you're here too. What's going on?"
Tom stares at him for a second and then Burst into laughter. "What's the point of an experiment with only one test subject? You need multiple subjects to see if the result is consistent. You must have misunderstood. You are the only man from YOUR settlement. There are guys just like you selected from all 23 of the original settlements. You're not alone here kid."
Dan stopped moving, and then slumped against the wall, sliding down to sit on the floor. A gray weight had just been lifted from his heart. He wasn't the only guy they would notice, he wouldn't be the center of attention. He didn't need to be so shy,
Without another word he stood up and looked at Tom with a questioning look as if saying "shall we go on,". Tom and him proceeded to walk as if that exchange had not occurred. Tom understood Dan didn't want to talk about his strange reaction to the news, so he walked silently. However, he did notice a spring in the boys step after that exchange, and he couldn't help but smile knowing he had helped in some way.
Within a minute they arrived at a door labelled auditorium. Tom beckoned for Dan to go first, and after a deep sigh, Dan did just that.
Within the room was more people his size, the 22 other boys just like him. There was no talking in the room. All the boys just glanced at him, then went back into their own thoughts. Understandably, for boys did not often visit another settlement, and knew little of the social society of each others homes, so they had nothing in common. Also, they were all rather apprehensive about seeing giant girls for the first time in two years.
Dan then heard the sound through the wall.
"Welcome back girls," the booming voice said. "This year looks like it will be yet another good one. You will all receive your room assignments on the way out, but that's not exactly news. There is. However, quite the surprise for you all."
And with that one of the walls of the room the boys were in slid off, revealing a bright light. Dan winced until his eyes adjusted, and when they did he did a double take. Outside he saw a giant crowd of teenage girls. Each one was different, but they all had one thing in common. They were immense. Dan had imagined they would be big, but he could not possibly have prepared himself for how immense they were.
He felt there gigantic eyes focus on the room they were on, and his newfound confidence instantly died. He heard a collective gasp come from the crowd as they saw the tiny humans.
"This year came with a very special surprise," boomed the voice once more. "Our lovely school has been chosen to be the first school to mix men and women since the shrinking. All of you shall be partaking in this historic event. The personality test you took earlier that was disguised as a survey was to see which girls were most compatible to room with 1 or 2 of the 23 brave men. Those results will also be given to you as you leave. Now you men can leave, but he girls must stay and listen to the new ground rules on dealing with men, your advisors will tell you your own rules. Have a lovely school year."
And with that the men walked meekly out of the room, each feeling nervous and insignificant after seeing the women. Dan walked out to see Tom smiling and waving enthusiastically at him. As Dan walked up he asked "how did it compare to what you thought it would be like?"
Dan just meekly shook his head no.
"Well " Tom said. "For our first order of business I am supposed to give you this." He handed Dan two earpieces one with a microphone attached. "The ear pieces will detect any sound to loud for you to handle, such as a giant girl talking, and muffle it to the pint where it is in a bearable volume. The microphone will amplify your voice for easy communication. Rule number one, you must wear these at all times."
As Dan put on the items given to him, Tom went on. "Rule number two," he said. "Never, ever let one of the girls handle you without your consent. If they ask you and you approve, that's fine, but they cannot force themselves upon you. If they do, that brings us to rule number three"
Tom brought out a ps like decide. "If they do handle you without your consent, pop off this lid and jam the needle in them, then press the red button. This will render the girl unable to control her muscles and she will collapse, paralyzed for roughly half an hour. If you use this, immediately report to a staff member, however if you use it without cause, you will immediately be expelled, no exceptions. Finally, obey all the usual school rules. No tardiness, respect your teacher, etc. Are those clear for you?"
Dan nodded.
"Good," Tom grinned. "Now you get to meet your roommates."
Chapter End Notes:
Sorry, no interact toon in this chapter either. And also, the indents are off. I wrote this on an iPhone and it doesn't have a tab button, so I guesstimated how much space to leave. Again, please give any feedback, such as the idea that there would not be only one boy. I hope you like the story so far, and I look forward to writing more.