- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
It seems that literally everyone is trying to train everybody else.






“... and so we realized that the time has come to bestow you, our daughters, with more functions and privileges, but they also mean more responsibilities. And with this newly reinstated training program to make you fully competent caretakers, you shall...” - Erica babbles on and on about various details of what they will be able to do and what kind of new functions they will be able to access. Of course by “you”, she only means Courtney and Andrea – the only two firsts selected for the program, at this time, apparently.

The others will have to wait and Erica hasn't specified how long exactly. Nor has the mother explained whether it will only be the firsts or will the other girls also be included in this. What good is this sudden announcement to Amber, if she won't be able to benefit from this for several years. It is also a bit strange.. she wouldn't think it will be so beneficial anyway. Sure, a couple new functions, especially convenient for working with assemblers and maybe expanded communication options, but...

Why make a fuss over it? It is not like they will get any micros or even prepared zones with it. Amber cannot believe just how much time it will take for the new micros to set up, before they can even start reproducing. With Kate's help, they should be able to survive at least. The food will suffice for a few weeks and the tools should allow them to set up basic shelters. As for later.. Kate offered her some more help, but Amber doesn't want to become overdependent on the other second – maybe she could ask other caretakers for help? Nicole promised her some food for the micros, but Amber haven't heard from her since yesterday.

She looks around trying to locate Kate in the crowd, but is unable to spot her. They met in the cafeteria, all such gatherings were first held in the facility and then moved to some zone. And what an unusual time – right before noon.. most ceremonies were organized in the evening or late afternoon at the earliest. Maybe there is some celebration planned afterwards? It would explain such early time. But Erica hasn't suggested anything like that, now she continues the roundabout explanations and the two beneficiaries, obviously proud of their newfound status, are standing beside her. The other mothers – except Rachel, who is nowhere to be seen – are behind them and everybody else forms a half circle in the front.

Amber spots Nicole standing on the other side of the group and she can clearly see that the second is angry. They haven't talked since yesterday and she must be jealous about the two selected for the training. Some remaining firsts also seem anxious – judging by their reactions and muttering – but Nicole looks simply furious for some reason. Erica didn't mention why those particular two firsts were selected or what exactly will they be able to do. In fact she only elaborates on how wonderful it is and how the others should look forward to joining them later on.

Thinking about it, Amber figures that she wouldn't mind that – if not for anything solid, then the status. On the other hand feature-full regular wristcoms would certainly be useful. She recalls Rachel mentioning in school how much easier it is to manage micro-assembly products using them – which could actually help a lot with the micros. Perhaps she could ask Andrea to help her out? The first was always very anxious to show off her experience and nice zones – she will surely be happy to do the same with her new position.

Kate explained her that she shouldn't force micros to do anything, because it will break them down – and that makes sense. After everything that happened in her untrained zone, she was already very careful with the new micros. Not telling them about her intentions was simple enough to understand, but Kate wasn't very specific on what exactly she should do with them. Like.. she wouldn't say how long Amber should wait before using them or how much of them can be used – but she must be struggling with those problems as well.

At least Kate seems to be successful with her training – she admitted how her micros haven't been killing themselves or anything. In fact she even gave her some of them to teach the new ones. It was supposed to help them settle in – explain how to use various tools and how to “farm”. It also made sense... The new micros are so hopeless, unable to figure things out on their own, it seemed. At least their chatter became more reasonable after Amber brought them the cargo transporters from Kate.

It was strange how they kept mentioning weird things, like.. asking what happened to Rachel – who they said was their previous owner. It seemed simply...

Well, actually it would explain the secrecy – if Nicole stole them from Rachel, she wouldn't want the mother to find out. Will Amber be in trouble if she does? Most of the time everyone was ignoring her, but.. how could Nicole even get access to any of her zones? That is a lot of questions and Amber isn't even sure, if she should talk to the second right now. Maybe wait a couple days for the things to calm down, see if anybody notices what Nicole did – and even then it will be her problem, not Amber's. On the other hand it would be bad to be forced to give the micros back.. no, she needs to be very careful.

But in the meantime she should ask around for more supplies – the firsts will most likely be happy to provide her with some. Perhaps even Lauren wouldn't mind, after their little party and ample explanations. Maybe it wasn't that much – especially given that the mother hasn't actually told them anything practical, but maybe it won't be a problem to share some food... On the other hand Amber concludes that she shouldn't tell anyone that the micros are “new” - she already got too many questions about that from Kate. Not to mention how the second wanted to speak with them. Normally she wouldn't mind – especially how she helped with her main zone, but after Nicole's warnings...

But maybe it wouldn't be that bad – it's not like the micros know anything about what Nicole did anyway and Rachel could have given her them on her own. That is if the micros are really coming from one of the mother's zones. Amber thinks how ridiculous it all is – not having micros is pathetic and boring, having them causes problems with training and reproduction – even getting them from a friend is suspicious.

All this trouble to have some fun! It really seems overcomplicated and Amber wishes there was an easier way. But then of course that is just what everybody else is forced to do. She understands why the firsts stopped being so generous when they started running out of their own micros. It was good while it lasted, but after the happy first couple months, they had to wait for micros to recuperate. That is just what Amber should do now. And she will.

Yes, she needs to be responsible. Just like Andrea was – and the first's maturity is obviously being appreciated now, with the promotion and everything. Both she and Courtney are very proud of this. It literally came out of nowhere. Although.. was this recent Lauren's interest in the seconds relevant to this? Were the mothers testing the daughters to see who is the most fitting for this training?

It sounds like one of Nicole's theories and Amber never paid much attention to them – it doesn't matter or at least it haven't so far. What if she should have? Maybe the “promotion” is associated with some actual benefits. Yes, she will need to ask Andrea about that. The main problem is that even if she follows the first's ways, it feels like there be a long time before any second would be experienced enough to be honored with such privilege. It is ridiculous – if only Erica would explain why is it the two firsts did exactly to be “worthy” of this... Or should it be obvious?

It doesn't feel obvious at all – it took years for the firsts to figure things out.. was that a test as well? If this is the case, then Amber only needs to listen carefully to whatever Andrea explained her and maybe she will also be appreciated? Kate seemed so certain it would be a bad thing to organize micros like that – but then it is Andrea to be selected for this training right now and not the second... In any case, Amber can wait some time for the micros to rebuild and settle in – in both her trained zone and the new one, respectively. They didn't seem to be killing themselves or anything, so she should be good. If only the waiting wasn't so frustrating, not to mention the uncertainty whether her training will work was so...

She is awoken from her thinking by a sudden sound of clapping, marking the end of Erica's speech – Amber quickly joins in and wonders if there was anything important in the announcement that she may have missed. She turns her eyes towards Nicole and this time her friend is smiling and energetic, but after a closer look, Amber can clearly see that something is boiling underneath that mask.

It is just like the firsts graduations – Nicole wanted to also get some zones for herself as well and was furious about this “inequality” and “childish treatment”. She haven't listened to any arguments that the seconds need to grow up and wait for their own turn.. she was even too proud to attend parties the firsts made – of course Amber had no such problems and that was probably why they stopped hanging out together around that time. For whatever reason, Kate preferred to stay with Nicole – although she was never really open or close to anybody, so Amber stuck with the firsts. Or at least tried to, since only few of them were friendly to her.

So Amber rarely met with the other seconds and now that Nicole organized their little meeting and spent some time with her, Amber feels good to have somebody, who she can relate to and discover things with. Unlike the firsts, who always looked down on all younger girls and made fun of them, her fellow seconds were more understanding and open-minded. But.. of course it is not that simple. She wonders whether the firsts or thirds have similar problems with each other, but it seems that power plays and various tricks and games are necessary parts of any friendship.

But Amber got what she wanted – what anybody wanted, in fact. Regardless of wherever the micros came from and how Nicole was able to get her hands on them, they are now her property and it seems things are getting better. Maybe Amber could even use her to get some more? She obviously must have some source of them... Amber was never good at those kind of sneaky games – frankly she never even bothered about things like that, but now it seems worthwhile.

But first checking how the micros are doing is more important. Kate explained her it will take them weeks to set things up and she needs to be extra careful – Amber already assumed that, but tedious as it was, she was doing her best. And Kate seems to be really trying to help her. Even her offer to talk to the micros was to calm them down... Maybe that is not a bad idea? To have somebody else tell them it will be fine? It worked in her other zones – Nicole and Kate helped to calm down one of them each. But no, Amber should not do that now...

Especially how strange it is what they are saying, it really sounded like they were owned by Rachel – they even asked if Amber could contact her to get help. She should ask Nicole more openly about where the second got them from – she needs to know what she has just gotten herself into.

But now the official part of the ceremony ends shortly after Erica finished her speech – each of the chosen firsts said a couple sentences about how happy they are and then everybody started congratulating them. Or at least the mothers and some girls did. Now the crowd slowly breaks into smaller groups discussing various things – with two trainees still at the center of attention.

After saying hi to Nicole – who doesn't even seem to notice it, Amber approaches Andrea and listens to her boasting about how great she feels being finally appreciated. Some other firsts are also standing next to her look excited – particularly April, who asks when Andrea finishes:

“Yeah, you've got to tell us how you did it!”

“Oh, it's a secret. You'll have to figure it out on your own, but maybe I'll give you some hints along the way...” – was this thanks to her micros training methods that she shared with Amber? The second figures she should seriously consider trying them out.

“Yeah, sure..” – Jolene comments, visibly tired – “Hey, how about we make a big party to celebrate?”

Despite several mentions of approval from the group, Andrea refuses – “No, I can't. You heard how Erica wants us to start training immediately...”

“Oh, I see.. you are suddenly too important for us, lame friends” – Jolene accuses.

“Hey, it's not like that! Didn't you hear how much we still have to learn? But.. I'm sure there will be time for some celebration later...”

“Now that's more like it!” – April comments – “Maybe you can give us some 'hints' then?”

“We'll see, we'll see...” – Andrea is obviously playing with her newfound importance.

“Can I come too?” – Amber inquires not wanting to miss anything?

“Amber, here you are!” – the new trainee greets her – “Of course you can, we should all be happy together!”

“Just remember to bring something with you this time..” – Jolene comments.

“Sure..” – Amber answers. She thinks how many micros would be appropriate and where should she pick them from. She considers asking about it aloud, but Andrea speaks first:

“Come on, guys.. don't be mean and just enjoy the moment!”

“Easy for you to say...” – Jolene remarks meanly. She seems to have been like this the whole conversation. Amber figures that the firsts must be really jealous about this whole caretaker training thing. Should she be too?

Suddenly, a single voice is heard over the background chatter – “No, this is ridiculous!” – Amber looks to where it came from and spots Nicole arguing with Erica on the other side of the cafeteria. Mother tries to approach the second, but she complains – “Get away from me, I hate you!” – and runs out from the room. Erica stands still for a moment and then walks to the other mothers.

“What happened there?” – April wonders quietly, looking in that direction as well. Amber notices that while Nicole wasn't shouting and only speaking a bit louder than the rest, it has still caught attention of almost everybody.

“Who cares.. what a drama queen...” – Jolene sums up.

“You got that right” – Andrea comments and laughs quietly.

After a moment of awkward silence caused by Nicole's scene, the discussions resume and the group around Andrea starts talking about what this 'training' may include – bus since nobody knows anything, it quickly gets boring. Amber notices that some caretakers are leaving and decides to follow them, but is surprised by sudden tap on her shoulder while walking through the room.

“Hi” - Kate starts and adds - “great privilege they have, isn't it?”

“Uh, sure..” - Amber responds nervously, turning towards her friend - “Listen, I was about to leave to check up on.. You know...”

“Yeah, let's go then, we can talk on the way” - Kate suggests and motions towards the nearby exit.

Amber was worried the others around them may find the topic somewhat suspicious, especially any mention of the “new micros” that she wanted to visit. She also worries about discussing this with Kate, since she is already running out of excuses... Fortunately they walk in silence, passing some unused utility rooms on the way to Amber's quarters. She is unsure if she should discuss it on the corridor, but mindful of possible eavesdroppers simply enters the room and invites Kate in. The whole way Amber was wondering what her friend may want from her now.

“Thanks for the help, by the way..” - Amber starts after closing the door.

“And how are they doing? Are the supplies enough for now?” - yes, she must be really just trying to help.

“Oh.. they seemed good, I was.. just about to go and check then again...” - Amber still feels uncomfortable being alone with Kate.

“One thing I forgot to mention earlier – once the equipment I gave you is installed, I'd like to get that team back” - Amber recalls the fact that some of the tools were apparently too advanced for her micros to operate and Kate gave her a small group to teach the others. But to give them back? It was like just a couple hundred micros.. who would care about that? On the other hand she recalls when Kate was worried about just a single missing micro back in that colony...

No, giving them back is a bad idea – what if they learned something about what happened to them and tell Kate? - “Oh, about that..” - she tries to think of an excuse to avoid it - “You know, my micros are really stupid and cannot learn how to use those things.. can you maybe leave them with me?” - it's not solid, but hopefully good enough. If anything, it could buy Amber more time.

“I really don't think it will be necessary, they–“

“Do you want to help or not?” – Amber panics a bit, but then tries to explain herself – “I mean, look.. the micros asked me for this themselves...” – she bluffs. Maybe she should give Kate just some random micros from her trained zone? She wouldn't notice the difference, right?

Kate doesn't reply for a minute and eventually inquires further - “Were the supplies enough? Have they asked for anything else? Any tools or materials perhaps?”

“No..” - Amber cannot recall anything like that.

“Perhaps you could ask them and let me know, if they do?” - it surely seems like Kate is trying to aid her. The second has been relaxed and open the entire time – maybe Amber should accept more help, since she already offers it.

“Sure.. I'll do that...” – Amber tries to think about some other topic to talk about – “Hey, I sort of fell asleep during Erica's speech” – they both let a small laugh – “was there anything important I may have missed?”

Kate just looks at her in silence for a moment, as if she is suddenly worried about something - “No, I don't think so.. just a bunch of nonsense about responsibility and matureness” - but it seems Kate may have more thoughts about that.. is she jealous about it like Jolene? Or whatever made Nicole angry back there... Amber didn't care about the ceremony and that training thing - “Have you heard anything about where this whole thing came from?” – her guest asks in turn.

“You mean, like the training?” – Kate nods and Amber thinks about it for a moment - “No, I have no idea.. Even Andrea seemed surprised when Erica spoke how she was selected for it and she didn't tell me anything about that when we met recently...” – the second continues looking at her in silence – “Sorry I can't think of–”

“Don't worry, I was just curious” - Kate assures her - “So, you were going to check up on the micros, right?”

“Yes, I was going to–” – she repeats unintelligently.

“Good luck then. And let me know if I can help with anything else, bye!” - her guest quickly replies and leaves the room. Why would she so quickly end the discussion and leave without even waiting for her to say goodbye? Has she said something wrong?

Amber once again finds herself surprised by Kate's behavior. It seems that ever since her graduation, she is completely different – or maybe more like a bit more recently, but Amber wasn't paying enough attention to be sure. She surely seems more mature and responsible. Taking initiative and acting on her own.. it's definitely not the Kate she knew. Amber thought that her assault might have been just an outburst of anger, but now she feels it might have been just a part of some bigger transformation.

But in the end, it doesn't matter – as long as Amber can get from her what she needs, she doesn't really care.. and she does need to see if the micros are doing well. With the food and equipment from Kate they seemed less worried than yesterday, but Amber never actually asked if they need something more... All this trouble just to help micros survive, it's ridiculous – they should be able to manage that on their own instead of bothering her.

After teleporting to the new zone, Amber looks around to locate the settlement. In the morning they were still grouped on the spot Nicole dropped them off and she appeared quite far away from it. While walking, she checks the population and it seems good, they don't seem to have started doing anything silly. As she approaches the micros location, she notices that they finally started to set something up – there is definitely some commotion around the containers, like some plants are being cleared and small structures slowly put up. Good – maybe they will stop complaining and instead start doing something on their own.

It is still early afternoon, so Amber can clearly see the outline of the settlement and she carefully walks around it to get the headphone, which is about ten feet to the side. After putting it on, she looks towards the micros and decides not to approach closer for now, uncertain how far they may have expanded – she heard they can use the headphone for two way communication, so she doesn't have to be right next to them to be heard quickly.

“Hello Amber” - they speak shortly after she wears it, at least they no longer use silly names like yesterday... They relished in them and she was tired of constantly straightening it PLPLout.

“Hi, so.. you guys doing here alright?”

“Yes, we're fine for now” - they are already much less troubling than earlier on. They must be busy setting up – it was probably Kate's that have told them what to do.

“I was asked to... Is there anything more that I could get for you?” - Amber feels almost silly trying to help them like that, but she feels it may pay off in the long term.

“I don't think.. if you could excuse us for a minute...”

“Sure” - but now she feels even sillier. They should be prepared to give her details of whatever is going on. What is she supposed to do now? Stand around pointlessly?

Amber thinks just how much stupid this is, but crouches down to take a closer look at whatever the micros may be doing around the settlement – and there is indeed a lot of activity everywhere. In the morning there were just some sparse groups of colorful dots spread around the transporters. Now it is already beginning to look organized, with many lines and even small structures emerging seemingly everywhere.

It is good that she hasn't approached them closer – she would most likely have crushed some of that and then would have to listen to their PLPLbickering about it, tell them she will try to be more careful and all the rest of it. They were really annoying when she crushed some while delivering the stuff from Kate. Can't they see that she does all this to help them? Damn, making them feel comfortable enough to reproduce will surely be painful. Amber thinks whether she doing this right, but is unable to think of anything.

Amber's thoughts are PLPLcut short, as the micros respond: “I was told there may be one thing that we could use..”

“What is it then?” - why can't they just get to the point?

“Um.. a medical core type Z7H/2C93F-0, preferably with..”

“Woah, now you wait a minute – how am I supposed to remember that?”

“Well..” - for a brief moment she can only hear some quiet chatter coming from the headphone - “Perhaps you could put it in a message?”

“Yeah, right..” - Amber agrees and proceeds to write down whatever they suggest in the mesg for Kate, although she isn't sure if her friend will be able to make any sense out of it. She then adds a question if Kate could give her one, if she has something like that. She considers how maybe micros in Kate's zone will be able to understand it. Amber suddenly finds herself more interested in the topic and decides to ask about it - “What's that, a medical core.., whatever the name was?”

“Oh, I don't..” - they pause for a brief moment and then a different voice appears:

“Miss...” - this one must have come from Kate. Amber already taught her micros not to call her those strange names – “it's medical equipment for treatment of various health-related problems, from longevity extension to diseases and injury treatment. Um.. this core type is particularly useful for treatment of generic mid-tech curable disabilities, such as leukemia or–” – yes, it's definitely the new micros she received with the supplies... Amber can't understand a word of it, but “medical equipment” reminds her of something.

“Is that core.. thing also used for reproduction?” – she interrupts.

“Err... Yes.. that is among other things, it can also...”

“I'll try to get it for you then” - and with that she sends the mesg. With nothing better to do than wait right now, she wonders if she could get some of those “medical thingies” for the other zones – especially her trained one. If the micros cannot reproduce without them.. or even are reproducing more slowly... She should also ask Kate about this, maybe that's the secret for the micros well-being? Or at least one of them.

The micros start blabbing about some concerns they seem to have, but Amber simply ignores it at first and silences them when it becomes burdensome. She doesn't want to seem bad to them – mindful of what happened in the dying zone – but it doesn't mean that she must immediately solve all of their problems. Maybe tomorrow.. or even later. They already admitted that they are fine...

A response from Kate comes quickly – she has something just like the micros requested and can give it right away. Not trying to be too pushy right now, Amber decides to meet her first and maybe mention other things later on. She sends her the coords for an empty zone and teleports there as well.

While waiting for the other second's arrival, Amber feels more self-confident. Although she will be alone with Kate again, she is almost certain that her friend is just trying to help and maybe she should at least thank Kate for all her efforts. It is not like Kate had to help anyone at all.

The second appears in the distance and looks around to locate Amber, but she is already on her way. She is somewhat anxious to get that core device to the micros so they would get in a better shape and reproduce – if she understood its purpose correctly. Kate notices her as well and starts to walk towards her slowly, carrying something in her hand. Yes, Amber will need to be extra careful with that too.

“Hello” - her friend starts, when they are close enough to each other.

“Hi Kate. Is that the.. whatever the micros wanted?”

“Yeah, this is the core you mentioned” - she offers a small container on the palm of her hand and inquires further - “Were there any problems that they need so much medical equipment?”

“No, I don't think so..” - Amber recalls while taking it carefully from Kate's hand - “they keep telling me they're fine and everything.”

“But have you asked about the reasons for such request?”

“Yes, it's just...” - what is Amber supposed to say.. that she doesn't understand most of what they are talking to her? That every time the micros try to explain their situation, she just pretends to listen for a couple minutes and then tells them to shut up? Sure, the population has been fairly stable so far, give or take a couple thousands – Amber rarely paid any attention to the last several digits. It doesn't seem to be the best thing to mention right now - “so difficult to talk to them...”

As they look into each other's eyes, Kate measures her and, after a brief moment of silence, accuses - “Have you been killing them?”

“What? No.. of course not! Why would I do that? I'm doing just what you told me to, help them settle in, make sure they are setting up okay... I don't know what more you expect me to do.. care about them?” - but only after finishing the riposte, it appears to Amber why Kate may be continuously asking such questions. For a brief moment, it almost feels like she may actually care herself. It still doesn't make sense – she might have even got attached to her own micros, trying not to lose them, but why would she worry about Amber's micros? It is not like Kate could benefit from her having them, so why even waste her time? Unless she really wants to help her and doesn't want Amber to have a repeat of her dying zone. After all, she only started worrying so much after they had their reunion party with Nicole!

“I'd better go, I still have...” - Kate turns to her side and starts putting coords into her wristcom. When she is done, she adds without taking her eyes from the device - “..things to do.”

Great, this is the exact opposite of what Amber wanted to do during this little chat – instead of thanking Kate for the efforts, she attacked her friend and got her to close up even more. That's hilarious.. but maybe if she... - “Listen, Kate...”

“What?” - the second looks up at Amber with a mixture of anger and anxiety in her eyes, which reminds her of that dreadful fight. Has she done something wrong again? Why wouldn't Kate simply tell her what it is instead of closing up whenever Amber does anything, it is so ridiculous!

And what is she supposed to do now? Apologize? For what.. she doesn't even know what she may have done wrong and... No, this is not the time to discuss anything more – maybe if Amber could invite her to have some fun with her first, try to repay her for the help.. maybe then they could relax and talk more openly? But for now:

“Nothing, I mean.. thanks for the help.. with the micros and–” - she mumbles.

“No problem” - Kate simply replies and vanishes. Amber thinks that this chat just couldn't have gotten any worse, but then realizes that it could have.. and very easily so. It feels like she doesn't understand Kate anymore. It just as if one of them has completely changed.. or was it actually both of them? Amber spent so much time with the first that she must have drifted away from her past friends and now cannot even understand them!

At least she has the core-thingie and her micros should be able to reproduce more healthily. Or whatever it was for – if anything, maybe they stop complaining for some time.

After teleporting to the zone, Amber notices some stupid clouds around her ankles. She doesn't care about them, but Nicole that seems to really hate them for some reason. Sure, they are annoying, but she knows that she must have appeared somewhere far away from the settlement – teleportation seems to always do that for maximum inconvenience... At least she can safely look around without worrying that they will annoy her again for killing some of them by mistake.

Sure, Amber is trying to appear nice and helpful so they wouldn't start killing themselves in here as well, but.. why the hell should she even bother to do anything for the micros, if she wasn't going to have some benefits from it? Like.. a steadily growing population and carefully picking the extra micros – just like Andrea told her, except the training methods the first used were much more drastic. Were the first going too far with it? Or maybe they are so much more efficient that it was really the reason the mothers selected her for the training.

After locating the settlement, she starts walking towards it and thinks about what Kate spoke and what she may have been trying to suggest. Still, the second didn't say anything actually useful – it seems their entire discussion was just a series of questions and accusations. What if Kate also has no idea how to train micros and is just trying to help her avoid some mistakes that she did? But Andrea explained her that training micros properly always results with some losses...

Maybe that is what Erica meant by the caretaker training program, was it to teach the girls how to train micros? Amber has no idea what else could it be about. Improved wristcoms are just a detail, there is nothing to do in the facility and the only other thing they do is having some fun in the zones. But mothers wouldn't bother to explain them how to use them better... On the other hand that was exactly what Lauren seemed to be during her party.

No, it doesn't add up – if it was that simple, then Lauren would invite some firsts and explain it to them herself. Amber needs to visit that party of theirs and maybe Andrea or Courtney will learn something by then. If the latter will even appear there – they haven't mentioned her at all during their discussion. The main question remains how many micros Amber should take.. it feels she should give some to the firsts for all those times they shared with her, but.. how much is enough? It is not like she has a lot of micros herself...

No, she cannot be scant now, especially given how she has some fairly decent zones. At least two, three hundred thousand – maybe one more for herself to have fun with? That already sounds like a lot.. this way a single decent party would consume half of her dying zone. Or whatever was left in it anyway. She didn't want to tap into the trained zone yet and Nicole would be angry if she shared the new micros, as it might cause questions to be asked. The main problem is that she simply has no real long term supply of micros and quick fun with what little she has would be irresponsible – even if it made her a more respected caretaker.

As Amber nears them, she notices that she still has her headphone on – she completely forgot about it, but luckily she hasn't teleported to the facility, otherwise another piece would be lost.

“Here's that medical equipment that you wanted” - she tries to remembers how Kate called it.. an equipment core? Whatever, the micros should know what it is and hopefully they will be able to make some use of it. But now she needs to give it to them - “Where do you want it?”

“Hello Amber” - whatever, she only just left the zone - “If you could give us some time to prepare a suitable area, please...” - it seems that everything takes them forever to accomplish, even if it is Amber who does all the work. It is ridiculous – but she doesn't care, not now with so much on her mind. As they explain her where to approach, she can see that the settlement is indeed being quickly expanded around the original site, where Nicole dropped the transporters. Micros are busy setting up rows of tiny buildings everywhere and it surprises her positively. She wasn't close enough before and now she easily can spot how much they managed to do in only ten hours since she dropped the supplies. Well, it all still looks tiny and fragile like everything done by micros, but the ones from Kate must truly be some kind of builder-micros. She also remembers that even the ones in the colony were talking about some medical stuff – what if the small group from Kate's zone already impacted the others?

In any case, it doesn't seem to be problematic yet – their influence here has been anything but trouble so far, so Amber will just have to keep an eye for any signs of strange behavior. Maybe even remember the last digits of the population to make sure nothing bad is going on. Or at least write it down somewhere. Either way, they thank her for the help and it is beginning to look like thins are going well. Of course it will take them years to set things up properly, not to mention decades for any children to grow up, but she can already see the future growth and all kinds of fun that she will have with them.

Yes, there are so many things that she already has planned, so many new ways of using micros that she was taught by Nicole or thought up during their games. But the problem was that Amber never had enough of them. Or, more specifically, she could use some more at once – but run out of them later. And she would not want that...

But if she can have a couple well trained zones that would reasonably reproduce.. that will change everything. She tried to calculate it in the morning and it seems that she should be able to get up to a hundred thousand micros every week or two, once the situation is stable. There's still a lot of unknowns, including how fast the females can be pregnant again – she assumed it was immediately, but what if they needed more than nine months per every batch? Or how many new ones would be produced by each female exactly.

At least they are doing something now. She is happy to finally see some development and it seems that in no time they will be setting up cities, maybe even with some skyscrapers. Judging by the amount of time it takes them to do anything, it will probably take a while, but it looks much better. No longer only crawling around the transporters, the “settlement” – as they call it – now covers an area of about ten square feet and still growing.

She thinks whether she should leave to give them some time alone... The micros in her trained zone are usually moaning and bitching about her being there, as Nicole would put it. Actually, it wasn't that bad, but they were discretely trying to let her know that she doesn't need to be there all the time and she got that. What else is she supposed to do then? Her other zone was almost gone already and spending any time there seemed pointless. Except of course for when she wanted to have some fun alone – but it was much more interesting to play with Nicole.

Besides, it is not like she was killing them in her trained zone. She was also trying to help them – so why would they annoy her with some silly remarks? It wasn't that bad, but why can't they be happy and thankful about her? Sometimes Amber simply can't understand the micros. They seemed to be trained already, so why wouldn't they behave?

In any case, the ones here explain how they are working on various buildings, homes and whatever other things they're trying to set up. She also was never able to understand why would the micros have so many types of different structures, like couldn't they just set up some simple shelters and get to the reproduction? Unless they actually need those complex stuff for it too... Whatever, she will worry about that if they don't start reproducing.

Or what if they built up some buildings so she could just have some fun with those? But for that they would have to aim much bigger than some silly lumps they seem to be working on right now and at least construct some skyscrapers or similar. Of course right now their “settlement” looks almost as disorderly and shabby as the dying zone, much worse than the trained zone and not to even mention the clean and planned colonies with Kate's micros.

Maybe the team from Kate teaching the others will be a good thing? Perhaps they will show them how to construct nice, big buildings – just like in the Kate's zone. Oh, how much Amber would love to have a chance to play with a city like the ones there. It isn't even about killing the micros, just.. they looked so sophisticated and complex. Surely they must have put a lot of work into building them, which would make destroying it so much fun. Just like her mother devastated a city in her trained zone – Amber is still mad about that, but.. she also regrets it wasn't her to do it.

As she stops daydreaming and looks down again, she realizes that the amount of effort from micros is also the problem. If constructing the tiny, simple structures they are working on will take them several weeks – as they told her – then work on anything bigger may just as well take months or even longer. What if she could convince them to work on something larger quickly as well?

But no.. even if the micros could construct something nice, they would probably be angry that she destroyed it and could start killing themselves. Just like the ones in her trained zone complained. That even her walking around was damaging things up to “the point of collapse” – whatever that was, but they seemed angry about it. Well, not angry, more like.. sad and begging her to be more careful.

In any case, they probably wouldn't like her destroying their precious homes here. What if she could have them build up some bigger things and them “evacuate” them to some other zone – just like Nicole tricked them before. She ponders whether they would fall for it or not. The ones in her dying zone were extremely naive with Nicole's “saving” them. What if Amber could come up with some new excuse to move those again? Or maybe do this trick to her trained zone and tell to build up somewhere else? It seems like a risk thing to do, but it would surely be worth her time and effort.

Yes, she will definitely need to think about that, but it will take them months before they construct anything noteworthy rather than just some pathetic clogs. With that realization, she goes back to daydreaming about having fun with a larger city herself. She even removes the headphone and lays back a bit further away from the settlement to have some peace from their annoying voice. And those thoughts are already making her wet, but she chooses not to masturbate – careful not to drive the micros crazy again.

Or perhaps those aren't like that and it would even help them reproduce? She will need to check that too. And the hints that Andrea gave her... Although those training methods were completely different from what Nicole and Kate advised her to do, there must be something in them – why else would she be selected for the caretaker training? Maybe Amber should try them too...





Chapter End Notes:
Yup - she's trying to figure it out. Seriously! It might almost be funny, if it wasn't so sad...

It also pains me a bit to repeat some things, but with the new micros we can see Amber's plans more clearly.

And I'm not sure if I ever mentioned it – but let me know what You think!