- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Quick and simple chapter - but hopefully the action can already feel as if gaining pace a tiniest little bit.






Kate thinks about the sixteen days since Amber and Nicole visited her. She was surprised how quickly her littles managed to get so many Volunteers. She heard it took forever to gather even several thousands – but the next time she returned to her zone to make sure that no more damage was done, they were already waiting. She quickly gave Nicole her batch – and control of one of three zones she just claimed. If she is distracted enough and Amber forgets about the whole deal – which would not surprise Kate – then she may be able to save one hundred.

But other than taking care of the colonization, she did not want to go back to her zone. She was now unsure what she wanted to do with them. At first she was simply worried how fast she was killing them – it was the first time she actually could see the population.. and it declined dangerously fast. She heard many stories about entire zones dying because of their owners harsh actions and prepared for the first properly, but... Kate never expected herself to get that emotional about the tiny people. True she wasn't having any fun in the last couple years – ever since Amber started partying with the firsts.. it simply was no fun alone. But she never thought she would actually be that concerned about them. If her slightest moves caused thousands to die, then how many has she killed in other zones – playing with Amber, Nicole and others... She did not care about that, so why should she now. But somehow she felt guilty about.. something. Was it giving in to Nicole? Sure she felt manipulated, but that's what she does... and even then it wasn't that bad.

She does not know what to think about it. Maybe she will be able to talk with Rachel during the party today? Kate thinks about her look – she was slightly laughed at during Nicole's graduation. They said that being adult, she should have some taste and have her “micros” work for her. She dismissed it by saying how it was barely two weeks. Still, two more weeks after that she has not changed anything. Her hair was still long, past her neck – she remembers Nicole watching her closely, was she trying to make fun of her? Whatever the case – she needs to finally cut it... She suddenly remembers how tedious it is to shorten it. Kate heard how once there were tools and even machines that helped with that – but right now they have no help, just a pair of knives they call “scissors” and her own hands. They used to cut each others hair, but now... she was simply too angry at both Amber and Nicole to ask them to. And she just did not care that much about her looks... Maybe she should ask her to tinies do it? They seemed to come up with such smart ideas for everything...

But no, it would probably take much longer than what she has before the party, so she just calms it and continues working on her suit. She can always use the same excuse. Funny how nobody seemed to care much about anything during Nicole's graduation. Sure it was perfect – just as it should be, Erica would not allow anything less, but... The graduations seemed so much more interesting when the firsts had them. A chance to meet everyone, have some fun. Her was just tedious, she could not wait to enter her new zone, but everybody seemed to want to talk with her and her mother even advised her on the side that she is supposed to entertain the crowd – it was her party. Kate never understood that – if they are celebrating for her, then why was she supposed to perform so many things. She never liked any parties, everyone is constantly trying to impress everybody else – but graduations were the worst. This last one went unusually quiet... sure the zone it was in has been still completely decimated, but every mother assumed that would happen.

“I wonder how Amber's graduation will go..” - she was still hoping that Lisa does give her anything and then Nicole should forget her little “plan”. It was ridiculous.. couldn't she just give her some damn micros herself and let Amber deal with them? Kate is really annoyed remembering the conversation. Maybe if she returns the tinies back to her zone, she would no longer feel guilty?

With that thought she leaves for the party. They always started in the cafeteria, where they sang songs and ate the cake, but she is no mood for eating right now – so she just purposely decided to be late for that. “Let Amber eat her damn cake herself”, she thinks. It would not be nice not to show up at all, but when she enters there are only two thirds left and the party is gone – to either change or already to the zone. She copies the coords from the table and teleports herself.

Thankfully only a handful of women is already here – she needs to apologize “sincerely” for being late, how she had some unexpected problems. That kind of things usually makes her feel bad, especially if there are many spectators around. But when she enters, Nicole comes to her:

“Oh, Kate – how nice you could join us!” - Amber stands saddened a bit behind her, so Kate tries to apologize:

“Hi, Amber – look, I'm sorry about missing...”

“Oh it does not matter, just come over here!” - Nicole is surprisingly happy and almost drags her towards Amber. Kate wonders what is the reason for this joy – when they are standing far away from anyone else, Nicole continues: “Just as I thought, Lisa even took one of Lauren's zones for the party – I overheard Andrea talk about how she remembers it from her childhood. If only Amber here did not screw up...” - Nicole gives her an angry look - “and actually colonized anything or if you reminded her of it...” - she turns to Kate, but offers less offensive look. “Still, with two zones, we should be good!”

“Yeah, great” - says Amber, apparently very happy about the perspective of receiving some measly two zones for her graduation. Nicole got six or seven zones from Erica, if Kate can recall correctly – just within the usual range of gifts firsts got. Kate does not want to say anything about this, so she just looks around – only to realize they are standing in the middle of a fairly populated area... Amber must have taking it out already, before more of the guests arrived. Knowing that backing off would be seen as weird behavior – and even then she would probably kill even more of them, she just continues to watch their friends, as Nicole tries to comfort Amber that it is not that bad and in no time she will have much more. There went her hope.. Kate thinks.

Eventually when Nicole leaves to meet some newly arrived guests – although it should be Amber doing that – Kate tells her other friend:

“Happy graduation.” - seeing how Amber seems angry at her about this, Kate decides to leave her – trying to avoid crushing too many people. Amber will probably finish them despite that...

While Kate wanders around, trying to think about her apparent guilt about the micros, more guests come in and eventually Erica comes in and signals everybody to gather round. Kate notices that Rachel arrives even later – being the last of the Caretakers to come.

As they close in to form a dense circle – for everybody to hear what Erica will say, even though they all now what it is.

“And so we welcome our new adult Caretaker, Amber (…)” - she continues explaining how they already gave her all the functions available for mature women, how she can now fully participate in the community and that now she should receive her gifts. Amber could not look more worried – it seems she already sees it happening... a disgrace, pathetic daughter of ecstasy-drunk Lisa. But instead she sees Amber's mother rising her wristcom and while putting in the commands, she says:

“Although it is only two zones, they are fairly populous, so you should have plenty of fun with them” - spotting Amber's suddenly surprised and delighted expression, Kate turns towards Nicole who is on the other side of emotion spectrum, it seems. Still she manages to hold herself back while Lisa finishes her speech and everybody claps and cheers congratulations for Amber. So, after all, she will be able to regain her trust in herself – just as soon as...

“And two much smaller, but just as solemn zones from her best friends, the seconds!” - she hears Nicole exclaims. The resulting cheer is much smaller – seems more like a commotion, but still she manages to get some girls to clap for that. Kate feels hatred coming up within her... how could she do this to me... she said, she promised... Well, just like her “promises” for Amber, they weren't very serious, it seems. Unfortunately Kate has no option but to give Amber the colony – if she refrained from that, she would not only seem the seconds laughable, but also make grave enemies from Nicole and Amber. While the latter would probably forget about it shortly – especially as she will be discovering her new toys, Nicole.. Kate just has to give Amber the zone.

Somehow she does not feel that bad about it... She was expecting this to happen and... Kate does not know how to feel about this whole fuss. At least she will not have to explain her micros the shameful details why this all happened and why is she returning the two hundred thousands back... Although she hardly explained any of the details behind what has happened in the week preceding Nicole's graduation... Maybe it was not the guilt, just her lack of social skills acting up? She rarely wanted to talk to anyone, but perhaps her friends seconds... and even that only when she felt like it.

But she cannot stop thinking about the music and how she felt when Amber killed it... was it how the “weird” Rachel felt? Kate figures she will need to talk to her later, when the party splits into various groups...

But now some mothers congratulate Nicole the maturity and courage to do such an innovative thing – nobody seems to bother Kate about it. Good – she feels like she could shout how she hated this idea and those were her micros in the first place... Very bad...

Kate learned quickly not to make enemies. It may be tough to keep friends around you, but it is very easy to turn anyone into her enemies. Except some mothers, it seemed... they simply do not care. She wonders if she ever be like them while walking around. Others have already started playing around and not really paying any attention to her, so she just casually checks the time – she needs to pick up the synthesizers batch in thirty five minutes... She wondered if they set up the party exactly to collide with that – If she missed it, or even left too early, it would look bad. She needs to wait a little more and then try to sneak out... If nobody noticed her, she may even be completely fine.

While walking around and thinking how her zone does not have many plants around – just farmland everywhere, she spots Rachel alone in a nearby corner of the zone. Looking around to make sure nobody would hear them, Kate approaches her. Their eyes meet shortly, but Kate looks down to avoid any settlements and only stops when notices Rachel's legs.

“Um, hi” - she starts, unsure how she can ask about her feelings... If it was any other mother, she would not even dare to think touch those topic – even Amy, who may be the most relaxed of them all, but still.. Everyone would call these things “crazy Rachel ideas”... so how will Rachel describe it?

“Hello, Kate, what's on your mind?” - she already noticed that something is troubling her. Kate thinks if she is too obvious, if so then others may see that as well and... But no, it was probably because nobody approaches Rachel without a specific reason. Even when they were in school, they hardly talked to her outside of the lessons. Unsure how to put it in a more convoluted way, Kate just speaks:

“I just thought.. I've been wondering about if they.. if micros are people too?” - Kate finally asks in unsure manner. She is half-expecting ridicule, thats how everybody would react, she hopes that maybe Rachel would eventually explain her her problem, especially if she feels the same way – in school she was always trying to do that. What she is not expecting, is:

“Yes” - she hears the answer with a tiniest note of emotion in her voice and perhaps.. wides her eyes a bit? It slowly fades, however. Kate thinks - “Yes – what would she mean? It's not like...” - she figured those thoughts must have been some strange effects of music or something.. but now it's just...

“Why do you ask?” - Rachel takes a more defensive position, her voice just as neutrally bored as other mothers.

“Oh nothing, never-mind, sorry about wasting your time.” - she turns around and expects Rachel to catch up with her to ask for the details, as she so often did in school when Kate started thinking about such strange things. Sure they were never so direct and formalized, but... And the answer. Is she becoming like Rachel?

Kate does not want to show her troubles to others and since the time is almost up, decides to teleport back to the facility. When she reaches the assembler, she notices that the batch is still running, with the display showing busy status. But notices Kimberly and Jane – from the firsts and thirds, respecively – already waiting around it. She can deal with the third simply with ridicule, but Kimberly... She wonders how to approach the problem that she seems eager for her synthesizers.

While thinking about it, Kate suddenly jolts hearing a casual voice from behind her.. Lauren...

“Hey, hey.. what do we have here” - she wonders while playing with the assembler's controls. This was the worst.. Kate could deal with a first, she would probably need to give her some, but... she could not argue with a mother. She tries to approach the topic as carefully as possible:

“These are to help my micros...” - she usually complained how she only got a single zone and that it only has barely twenty million micros – she had to give some number that would be believable. Maybe she can make Lauren feel bad for her...

“Oh but if they managed to survive a hundred years, I'm sure they will not all die in a couple weeks, now will they?” - it is happening, she will take all of them... “But this is not what I came here. You seem to have run away from Amber's party awfully fast” – Kate fears she will mention her talking to Rachel... - “I wasn't even able to invite you to a little party in my place in a couple days” - Kate finally resumes to breathe trying not show her nervousness too much. Mothers have this.. strange habit of always wanting to invite to the party personally.

“Uh, sure – I'd love to” - Kate answers without bothering about any details, a party at a mother was a necessity.

“I'm so happy to hear that... As for this little batch here.. I'm sure they don't suddenly need all of them and I hope You were planning to share them with others, right?” - another relief, maybe Kate will be even able to salvage something out of this...

“Of course, do any of your micros need...” - trying not to give her emotions away.

“Oh, half will just do, thank you for you concern” - Lauren finishes the conversation in motherly style and turns back to the console to split and reconfigure the delivery.

“Hey, and what about me” - Kimberly tries to interfere to get something for herself. Kate heard she is trying to somehow rejuvenate any of her zones, and just a couple synthesizers would surely help, but why hasn't she simply ordered them herself in the years she had her zones...

“You, have no interest in this, my dear.” - Lauren saves her from a possible fight over the remaining units.

“Ugh... whatever!” - she leaves resigned.

Wait.. is this just one of their power plays? Showing “good will” while at the same time reminding of Kate's subjection to the mothers? Kate feels she could hit her if it was the truth... but she feels it was. She realizes it was the same kind of games Nicole was playing, only much, much more sophisticated and refined. Lauren wants to be her “friend” while making sure she will be due to her help. The same games being the cause of which Kate being afraid to ask any mother to help her with locking the first run...

They don't talk more, as the assembler finalizes its work and displays the green status – Lauren finishes her work, probably sending her half to nowhere... why would she care? “And the rest to your zone?”

Kate moves forward anxious to fiddle with the controls - “No need for this to take anymore of your time - I can handle this.”

“Okay then, see you in two days then – I'll send you the details.”

When she leaves, Kate checks the status of the batch – and it shows half of the products available for delivery, which she quickly finalizes to one of the empty zones – that only she has access to, assuring her full control over her food synthesizers.





Chapter End Notes:
As always - let me know what you think!